• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

Rapstah

its a great game and worth all the accolades it received rather then the extremely vocal minority who say its terrible because of the last 10 minutes.

That's really not the opinion of a lot of people in here. The opinion seems to either be that the ending is terrible but that the rest of the game was good or decent, or that the entire game was bad. That the ending invalidates the story of the rest of the game is not the same as it invalidating the gameplay of the rest of the game, and no one's saying that.

For the record I think it's very rational for people to expect some sort of motivation behind those coming in here going "I don't see the fuzz, it was a great ending", because not seeing the fuzz implies that the person is trying very hard not to understand what the OP to this thread says and what is repeated what seems like every five posts. The discussion used to be about whether the ending invalidated the game's story, the trilogy's story or nothing and suddenly people are coming in here saying it's the best thing ever and one of humanity's greatest achivements in literature.

Lime

EA won the Consumerist "Worst Company in America 2012" award. Look at the press release:

Whether it's on a console, a PC, a smartphone or tablet, hundreds of millions of people play video games every day. Yet most mainstream media covers the industry the same way it treats adult dodge ball leagues and cat fashion shows (both noble ventures, but neither of them multi-billion dollar industries). And the only time you hear legislators discuss video games is when some politician decries them as the death knell for all things righteous in the world (hint: they're not). Now, after years of being ignored and relegated to steerage, game-players have voted to send a message to Electronic Arts and the gaming business as a whole: Stop treating your loyal customers like crap.

After more than 250,000 votes, Consumerist readers ultimately decided that the type of greed exhibited by EA, which is supposed to be making the world a more fun place, is worse than Bank of America's avarice, which some would argue is the entire point of operating a bank.

To those who might sneer at something as "non-essential" as a video game company winning the Worst Company In America vote: It's that exact kind of attitude that allows people to ignore the complaints as companies like EA to nickel and dime consumers to death.

For years, while movies and music became more affordable and publishers piled on bonus content — or multiple modes of delivery — as added value to entice customers to buy, video games have continued to be priced like premium goods.

There have even been numerous accusations that EA and its ilk deliberately hold back game content with the sole intent of charging a fee for it at a later date. It's one thing to support a game with new content that is worth the price. It's another to put out an inferior — and occasionally broken — product with the mindset of "ah, we'll fix it later and make some money for doing so."

New, independent game companies do pop up all the time, but the cost of entering the market has historically been too expensive, making these indie innovators prime targets for acquisition by mega-publishers like EA. Our hope is that the growth of app-based gaming and downloadable games will continue to make it easier for developers to get their products out without the backing of companies that don't care a lick about the people who fork over their cash.

Oh well, Worst Company In America 2012 is officially in the books. All that's left to do is send off the Golden Poo to EA.

Traditionally, the Poo has been delivered on its little red pillow. But this year, we'll give EA three different color options for its pillow, though in the end it's still the same old Poo.

Thanks again to everyone who voted. See you all again in about 49 weeks!

def sim

That press release. geez

I doubt this really means anything at this stage but Jennifer Hale says she hasn't been contacted by Bioware with regards to doing any more voice work for what they're doing.

http://m.edge-online.com/news/jennifer-hale-weighs-mass-effect-3s-ending

I'm sure there's a good chance she's already done any voice work that's needed for the take back Omega DLC or whatever it ends up being. Anything else they add i reckon will be non-Shepherd based.

Considering changing it is kind of a big deal and it certainly wouldn't have been decided the month of release.

Lime

I doubt this really means anything at this stage but Jennifer Hale says she hasn't been contacted by Bioware with regards to doing any more voice work for what they're doing.

http://m.edge-online.com/news/jennifer-hale-weighs-mass-effect-3s-ending

I'm sure there's a good chance she's already done any voice work that's needed for the take back Omega DLC or whatever it ends up being. Anything else they add i reckon will be non-Shepherd based.

Omega DLC announcement incoming.

daoster

Sure, but I would love to actually hear why. I've grown a bit tired of the "you don't understand life", it's "2 deep 4 u" reasons.

You just need to be spoon fed everything... JEEZ people, when will you stop being spoon fed!

And if new York times and game informer gave it top marks, obviously they're intelligent enough not to be spoon fed an ending and can appreciate open endings.

Hartt951

No he doesnt have to justify anything to you - he liked the ending, some people did. Accept it. Seriously, i like how if someone likes the ending he gets ridiculed by everyone on here.

I just finished the game for a 2nd time and its fantastic. I put about 33 Hours in my first run, 27 on insanity and about 20 in multiplayer - its a great game and worth all the accolades it received rather then the extremely vocal minority who say its terrible because of the last 10 minutes.
It's not a vocal minority. There's literally like 4 and a half people that liked the ending and three of them worked for Bioware.

You just need to be spoon fed everything... JEEZ people, when will you stop being spoon fed!

And if new York times and game informer gave it top marks, obviously they're intelligent enough not to be spoon fed an ending and can appreciate open endings.

It has nothing to do with being spoon fed I find it funny you say that and I suggest you go read the reasons why people hate the ending.

Lothars

It's not a vocal minority. There's literally like 4 and a half people that liked the ending and three of them worked for Bioware.
No I am pretty sure it is a vocal minority, I may not think the ending was great but I certainly don't hate it or think it ruined the series.

Lothars

The retake Mass Effect Facebook Page has 60,000 likes.
Yes and that still is a vocal minority of the overall fans of the game.

I don't see it as a vocal minority and so what if it is they have a right to vent their displeasure.
Of course, everyone has a right to vent their displeasure or what they liked or didn't like. I am not saying that but to me it's exactly the same type of situation from Mass Effect 2, it was a vocal group that hated the game and would vocalize it.

No I am pretty sure it is a vocal minority
People say this when they don't have good arguments to make.

And we encourage people to give us reasons why they like it, just be prepared to defend your stance.

It's a good representation, though. Sampling sizes and all of that. Even in this thread, we have a poll set up and only a few like it. Everywhere you go on the net, you will find more people hating the ending, than liking.

Hartt951

Sure, the minority compared to a million copies sold or whatever.

But the majority when it comes to the hardcore games; you know the people that actually post on the forums, and give feedback to the developers. The people that buy the DLC, go to Media Events, and buy all the extra Books and whatnot.

Sure casual gamers aren't complaining, they never do and never will. They play games to be entertained and that's it. Most probably haven't even beaten the game yet, let alone know forums exists to post their displeasure on if they had any.

The hardcore group of Mass Effect fans who have bought and played all 3 games, bought the DLC, interacted with Bioware, read the books, they're upset. There has never been this much of a coordinated backlash over a game ever, and that is saying something.

Lothars

People say this when they don't have good arguments to make.

And we encourage people to give us reasons why they like it, just be prepared to defend your stance.

It's a good representation, though. Sampling sizes and all of that. Even in this thread, we have a poll set up and only a few like it. Everywhere you go on the net, you will find more people hating the ending, than liking.
It's possible but It feels exactly like the ME2 situation where the vocal group was the one's that hated the game and the ones that liked it were quiet.

The biggest thing with the ending that I feel is missing was more information about the world after like what happened to your teammates and other races, I think that's where the DLC will come in.

Lime

The vocal minority argument is so fucking terrible and needs to be put to death. The amount of people subscribing to a particular idea or position does not determine whether or not said idea or position is valid and sound.

Only within the games industry and press could such a fallacious argument as "It's only the vocal minority!" enter the discourse.

daoster

It has nothing to do with being spoon fed I find it funny you say that and I suggest you go read the reasons why people hate the ending.

I was being sarcastic...

Also, the vocal minority for a company usually = most loyal customers. Also, I don't remember the hate for me 2 leading to features from CNN, fox news, or articles from Forbes and the BBC...

the situation has expanded beyond just typical internet rage.

Patryn

Of course, everyone has a right to vent their displeasure or what they liked or didn't like. I am not saying that but to me it's exactly the same type of situation from Mass Effect 2, it was a vocal group that hated the game and would vocalize it.

Oh, I agree with you that it was a vocal minority that disliked ME2.

But, seriously, all polls conducted on the endings have shown overwhelming dislike of the ending.

Like, not even close. 90 percent and greater hating them.

Those having issue with ME2 didn't get anywhere near the exposure that this has, indicting that it's probably a much larger group.

I definitely wouldn't agree that everyone hated the ending. But based on what I've seen, I'd say that probably 70 percent of players were unsatisfied with the ending in some way, with a large portion of that group deeply unsatisfied.

More importantly, I think the percentage runs higher for Bioware's core fans.

Hartt951

Also, the vocal minority for a company usually = most loyal customers. Also, I don't remember the hate for me 2 leading to features from CNN, fox news, or articles from Forbes and the BBC...

Exactly!! People find something to nitpick in every game released, but never has there been such a large, unified, vocal group of gamers that are upset with one part of a game. The fact is the ending is BROKEN. There are about six good youtube videos that clearly explain why they are broken, and frankly the loyal fans who like I said earlier, bought all three games, bought the DLC, and bought the extra books and stuff(aka the people that actually give the company money) are upset by it.

Bioware's most loyal fans have turned on them and this outrage over the ending has been everywhere! Games are never on any major news sites. CNN and Fox News are pretty major. Yahoo is my home page and there have been 3 separate articles at 3 separate times about Mass Effect 3's ending that have made it to the featured article section. That's kinda not normal.

Oh god. We aren't getting a fixed ending are we? They are just going to put back some of that stuff they took out. Joker fighting of Harbinger, picking up the crew, added dialogue for spaceboy, more discussion options for him. Oh god. I should just put this game out of my mind...

Lothars

Oh, I agree with you that it was a vocal minority that disliked ME2.

But, seriously, all polls conducted on the endings have shown overwhelming dislike of the ending.

Like, not even close. 90 percent and greater hating them.

Those having issue with ME2 didn't get anywhere near the exposure that this has, indicting that it's probably a much larger group.

I definitely wouldn't agree that everyone hated the ending. But based on what I've seen, I'd say that probably 70 percent of players were unsatisfied with the ending in some way, with a large portion of that group deeply unsatisfied.

More importantly, I think the percentage runs higher for Bioware's core fans.
that's true, I am hoping that we get some information from the bioware panel at PAX.

Omega

Banned
I for one would like some input on why the ending is "good"

Feel free to tell me to fuck off because it's too deep for me, but who knows, maybe you could prove to me that it is good and I'm just overreacting.

To me, the only way this ending is even tolerable is if you think Mass Effect is great because of Shepard. If it's just Shepard's story to you, and you don't give a shit about anyone else then yeah, I can see this ending being amazing to you. Those of us who have actually enjoyed the universe, our squadmates and the other species, this ending does nothing to address what happens to them.

I can probably overlook the stupid space child and his space magic because this shit happens in pretty much every sci-fi. What bothers me is we get no closure.

Hartt951

I for one would like some input on why the ending is "good"

Feel free to tell me to fuck off because it's too deep for me, but who knows, maybe you could prove to me that it is good and I'm just overreacting.

To me, the only way this ending is even tolerable is if you think Mass Effect is great because of Shepard. If it's just Shepard's story to you, and you don't give a shit about anyone else then yeah, I can see this ending being amazing to you. Those of us who have actually enjoyed the universe, our squadmates and the other species, this ending does nothing to address what happens to them.

I can probably overlook the stupid space child and his space magic because this shit happens in pretty much every sci-fi. What bothers me is we get no closure.
If you only care about Shepard then it's still a pretty bad ending.

Throughout the entire series, Shepard is the protagonist; saving the galaxy, fighting all odds. He is brought back to life by Ceberus because they viewed him as a savior to humanity, quoting Miranda, "If we lose Shepard, humanity might well follow".

Regardless if Shepard is Renegade or Paragon, Female or Male, he/she is a boss and can basically overcome anything. It's Shepard's world and we're just living in it. He is the only one who has a shot at stopping the Reapers. However, in the closing minutes of the game his role as protagonist is stripped away by the star child. No longer is Shepard the boss, he learns he is just a pawn. The kid has created and ruled everything and nothing you've done really mattered. Shepard can't question his logic or tell him to fuck off, the kid forces Shepard into an ABC choice and the game ends thanks to the kids power.

Shepard is nothing but a sacrificial pawn to the almighty child with circular logic that doesn't make any sense. If you were solely a shepard fan, I'd imagine you'd be pissed.

I was being sarcastic...

You know as well as I do that sarcasm does not translate well through text. :) your right the anger over ME 2 did not get this big, I'm glad it blew up it shined a light for me on certain gaming media outlets.

Zerokku

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?
It's possible but It feels exactly like the ME2 situation where the vocal group was the one's that hated the game and the ones that liked it were quiet.

The biggest thing with the ending that I feel is missing was more information about the world after like what happened to your teammates and other races, I think that's where the DLC will come in.

As someone who works at gamestop (lol), from talking with customers the average person who bought the game, thinks the ending sucked. These aren't people who are going to go on message boards and talk about it, or even complain too loudly, but the average person I'm seeing was still dissatisfied.

Anecdotal and all that, but yah.

Lothars

As someone who works at gamestop (lol), from talking with customers the average person who bought the game, thinks the ending sucked. These aren't people who are going to go on message boards and talk about it, or even complain too loudly, but the average person I'm seeing was still dissatisfied.

Anecdotal and all that, but yah.
Hmm that's good to know, thanks for telling me that.

sTeLioSco

Banned
Nice, Sounds like your definitely out of touch with reality but I don't think it was all the same people voted EA as worst company in America because of ME3 ending.

its common knowledge that viral marketers that work for a specific company like to derail threads.....

yes the way they handled the mass effect trilogy,one of their important products that went on sale relatively recent,had an effect on the poll....

i dont see BP on the polls this year.
and yes EA is the BP of the videogame industry!

Argumentum ad populum going on this beetch right now.

Luckily, ME3 has an objectively terrible ending by the standards of good writing and is hence indefensible.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man

http://m.edge-online.com/news/jennif...fect-3s-ending

I guess the comment from the guy who played Hackett may be false, if she hasn't been contacted.

Since her voice, along with male Shep, is used by The Catalyst, they would need her if they wanted to add more lines for it. However, I bet that BW will release some info about the end on Friday and eventually deliver something after next month.

Hartt951

Nice, Sounds like your definitely out of touch with reality, I don't think the reason EA was voted as worst company in america is because people didn't like ME3 ending.
Consumerist's Press Released specifically cited Mass Effect 3's ending and said they were going to deliver the award to them in Red, Green, and Blue containers.

spekkeh

Banned
Now he just needs to come up with why he likes the ending.

Why? You're not going to accept anything he says anyway.

In the end whether you think the game has given enough closure is deeply personal. An epilogue where you see how all your actions have panned out sounds terrible to me.

daoster

You know..as much of a fuck up the ME 3 ending was, I don't think EA deserves that award...there are plenty worse companies...

Also, I don't blame EA for the ending...I place a lot of it on Walters and Hudson...the anger at EA for the ending is misplaced,I think

Lexxon

That's dissapointing, I was hoping it would be. Was it announced it was going to be streamed?

No, I just know I saw some hopeful comments from others here that hoped it might be streamed.

I'm going to physically be there myself, but don't really have the means to record except for a 4G phone (so I could share my connection with someone with a proper camera setup if needed!)

Lothars

Consumerist's Press Released specifically cited Mass Effect 3's ending and said they were going to deliver the award to them in Red, Green, and Blue containers.
Yes and I read that but there's been alot of anger towards EA before this with online passes and in the past closing down places like westwood. I don't think the main reason for them getting it is ME3 ending.

Yes and I read that but there's been alot of anger towards EA before this with online passes and in the past closing down places like westwood. I don't think the main reason for them getting it is ME3 ending.

It's most likely a combination of everything they have done, it's just that with the release of ME3, it really put them at the front of everyone's minds.

Rapstah

I guess the comment from the guy who played Hackett may be false, if she hasn't been contacted.

Since her voice, along with male Shep, is used by The Catalyst, they would need her if they wanted to add more lines for it. However, I bet that BW will release some info about the end on Friday and eventually deliver something after next month.

Lance Henriksen only voices Hackett, too, according to IMDB. I am starting to think that he mistook the question he was being asked, and was just talking about Omega DLC or something completely else because he would have been recorded for that too if Hackett comments on it after the mission like he does on all the Priority and N7 ones in the main game.

Lance Henriksen only voices Hackett, too, according to IMDB. I am starting to think that he mistook the question he was being asked, and was just talking about Omega DLC or something completely else because he would have been recorded for that too if Hackett comments on it after the mission like he does on all the Priority and N7 ones in the main game.

Everyone knows that the "clarification" is just going to be an email sent from Kai Leng to Shepard.

Seeing as you just called an opinion objective, I'd hazard a bet.

Just like that the sky is blue, water is wet, ME3's ending is bad. It's a fact of life.

Top Bottom