• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

rdrr gnr

Shit. It was nice knowing you all. I've made some friends; I've made some enemies. But, most importantly, I made myself feel better by shitting all over Bioware. So, I thank you all for participating in this circlejerk.

Yeah right, guys. The first new thread about this topic and it'll start all over again.

PAX East Fri 10,000 posts

Yup yup. Basically. Let's take a break until Friday! Then mass chaos will commence again.

I still can't fathom how they'll discuss/announce whatever they are doing. I mean they can't just spoil the ending for the entire audience right? And if they show a trailer, they definitely had this all planned out.

Im excited. Mainly so itll stop messing with my dreams.

Replicant

WT... I feel like those poor citizens of the Citadels who got moved to the Sol Relays without their consent.

Welp, this is the end of the thread then? Are we dead carcass yet?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Threads exist, because we allow it. And they will end, because we demand it.

rdrr gnr

Mods, relegating threads to the oblivion of "community" since 2011. :-(

In all seriousness, why not 60 days? Is regular Gaming really that cluttered? I'd honestly disagree.

Jintor

tumblr_m1u3s19HpU1qb8puto1_500.png

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Are you calling us entitled? Should we send you cupcakes?

Yes. Please. Send me cupcakes.

In all seriousness, why not 60 days? Is regular Gaming really that cluttered? I'd honestly disagree.

The thread is active like a community. The nature of community has changed, now as a sub forum for megathreads. All other OTs will end up here some day too. Like death, it is inevitable.

The Reapers ninja moved us into the community forum? Just like the Citadel :D

Who's the catalyst?

sTeLioSco

Banned
after the apology from the chobot here is an article on kotaku:

Mass Effect 3’s Ending Disrespects Its Most Invested Players

The Mass Effect series has always presented itself to players as a vehicle for them to make important, if difficult, decisions. From the first game, the player's choices as Commander Shepard have dictated who lives and dies, with results that ultimately define the fate of entire species in the trilogy's finale.

The end of Mass Effect 3 disregards the player's choices on both galactic and personal scales.
In contrast to the exquisite, if occasionally opaque, ways the player's decisions dictated the outcome of Shepard's suicide mission in Mass Effect 2, Mass Effect 3's finale is essentially a railroad. Provided a player has gathered enough military force, all three possibilities for dealing with the series-long villains, the Reapers, are available. The player can opt to control them, destroy them, or join with them in an organic-AI synthesis of some kind. The choice only determines the primary color and some other minor details of an ensuing cutscene. This denies the player any meaningful feedback about this decision, and the game's refusal to elaborate in any serious way on what happens to the galaxy undercuts the importance of choices made in this and previous ME games.

The more the player understands about the Mass Effect universe, the worse the ending seems.

....etc.....etc....

http://kotaku.com/5898743/mass-effe...m_source=kotaku_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

bYDSf.jpg

That was a good article.

And I just want to say that until Bioware says otherwise, the relays destroyed every star system they are in because we are not given any indication that they don't. Also, Shepard (props to Zomba) is a war-criminal for going along with the choices that destroy all of the relays.

rdrr gnr

The only thing I disagree with is the assessment of the rest of the game. There is plenty of criticism to go around when it comes to Mass Effect 3. Sure, I'll concede when it was good, it was damn good. But, so much of the game was banal and forgettable. Mass Effect 3 is deeply flawed outside of its ending.

The part that got me.

Although it has recently been demonstrated that mass relays can be destroyed, a ruptured relay liberates enough energy to ruin any terrestrial world in the relay's solar system.

—Mass Effect 3 Secondary Codex, "The Reaper War - Desperate Measures"

Hahahaha... now I really get why everyone is all 'choices don't matter'. Everyone is dead anyways!

90% sure they will retcon this somehow or future entries of this series... will be really different.

Pastebin of Kotaku's article.

It is also not written by a Kotaku "journalist" but a biologist who does some game criticism in his free time. Here is his blog.

He isn't a Whale Biologist is he ? Because if Futurama has taught me nothing else (and it hasn't) we should always listen to the Whale Biologist.

On another note it seems Bioware has been getting dodgy with the tweets again :-

MassEffectfootinmouthtweet said:
@kanjilikesboys We're so glad you liked it. Don't worry, your ending won't be changed. We're just releasing more content.

You can guess what is coming next, can't you ? Yep many pitchforks were sharpened and it wasn't long before the tweet "disappeared".

Good article, and the main points of it stand. I do feel he spends too much time on the whole destroying-relays-explodes-nearby-solar-systems plot hole. Annoying as that is, most can get past it just based on the fact that if that's the implication, Shepard is more effective than the Reapers at killing everyone. It's not possible that was Bioware's intention, so we can just move on from that.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
You can guess what is coming next, can't you ? Yep many pitchforks were sharpened and it wasn't long before the tweet "disappeared".
That was actually tweeted? Aha. Did anyone get a screenshot of it?

Saw this video in one of his posts there which I never saw in my game. I was pretty thorough too exploring the ship for stuff. The Adams and Chakwas stuff I saw was all done in the crew quarters at the table. I'd have sided with Adams in that.
I couldn't help but get distracted by the two guys spazzing out.

Good article, and the main points of it stand. I do feel he spends too much time on the whole destroying-relays-explodes-nearby-solar-systems plot hole. Annoying as that is, most can get past it just based on the fact that if that's the implication, Shepard is more effective than the Reapers at killing everyone. It's not possible that was Bioware's intention, so we can just move on from that.

tumblr_lngmrfHaMM1qk9jsgo1_500.gif

Seeing this tweet makes me feel anger again...something that I thought I put behind me like a week or two ago....

Being moved to Community is like the city taking away the funds from group support programs. This man clearly needs help or else he's going to relapse into the anger phase again!

rdrr gnr

Well, now I'm just watching clips of Always Sunny...
D.E.N.N.I.S. System never gets old.

I feel like that's what Bioware is doing with us.

Joe Molotov

But why would Bioware make such a big deal about the destruction of Mass Relays destroying a solar system, even putting it in the codex of the third game, if didn't really mean that? It would be like if in The Return of the King, Gandalf goes "Oh hey, guys, I think we can break the One Ring if we hit it with a axe. I know I said before that wouldn't work, but this is a different axe from the axe that didn't work in the first movie."

Well, now I'm just watching clips of Always Sunny...
D.E.N.N.I.S. System never gets old.

I feel like that's what Bioware is doing with us.

1. Demonstrate Value - Bioware creates a sprawling sci-fi epic where our decisions matter
  2. Engage Physically - Takes criticism and praise from fans
  3. Nuture Dependence - Has us keep our save files because this is our Shep
  4. Neglect Emotionally - ME2 barely moves the main plot of the games, Arrival DLC happens
  5. Inspire Hope - Hudson, Walters, and Gamble talk up ME3 saying that our choices matter, no ABC(RGB) ending, that kind of stuff
  6. Separate Entirely - The End happens

DTKT

But why would Bioware make such a big deal about the destruction of Mass Relays destroying a solar system, even putting it in the codex of the third game, if didn't really mean that? It would be like if in The Return of the King, Gandalf goes "Oh hey, guys, I think we can break the One Ring if we hit it with a axe. I know I said before that wouldn't work, but this is a different axe from the axe that didn't work in the first movie."

Not really. The catalyst is destroying what he built. The LOTR analogy doesn't work. Instead, it would be like if one of the Hobbit from Hobbitown actually was the creator of magic. So, he can actually just destroy the ring. But also destroying magic.

oh god.

rdrr gnr

1. Demonstrate Value - Bioware creates a sprawling sci-fi epic where our decisions matter
  2. Engage Physically - Takes criticism and praise from fans
  3. Nuture Dependence - Has us keep our save files because this is our Shep
  4. Neglect Emotionally - ME2 barely moves the main plot of the games, Arrival DLC happens
  5. Inspire Hope - Hudson, Walters, and Gamble talk up ME3 saying that our choices matter, no ABC(RGB) ending, that kind of stuff
  6. Separate Entirely - The End happens
Haha! Brilliant. ::bow::

Quick question about the Platinum edition of ME1 for 360: is the Bringing Down The Sky dlc on disc? I can only find used copies in my area.

Top Bottom