• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I honestly think that it has nothing to do with marketing. It's all about time. They just didn't have the time or the resources to craft a coherent ending.
You mean intro, but the end did suffer, too.

It would have been cool (well... you know) if you saw the mother/father and the kid run into the vent building and then it blow up when you get there but inside you just see the parent's corpse and the kid hiding in the vent, all scared and confused and then Shepard and Anderson take him with them. The kid would talk along the way, Shep could reassure him or be blunt and at the end of the Earth bit Shep would put him on a shuttle and it'd get blown up. That way, we'd have cared about him more (he'd have a name, a personality) and we'd feel responsible for his death (putting him on the shuttle that gets blown up).

But noooooooooooo we see him for all of 10 seconds in a vent being weird and then wandering around at the end before he stumbles into a shuttle and blows up.
All you outlined would make too much sense.

I imagine we would have seen the kid's mom's death or her corpse somewhere. But the kid says his dad flies a big ship, so he's probably a pilot. I don't think we would be able to have seen him. However, if we had put the kid onto his impending deathbed, it would have affected Shep more than what actually happens.

rdrr gnr

At first, I felt that they were the same, but that bystander was probably just minding his own business while the repairman knows the dangers of working on a railroad, so I went with A.

As for the rest, I completely agree and it's kind of what I expected how the series would end if there had to be a choice. A good moral quandary where the choices are both right and wrong depending on your perspective. It could have been possible, but with the writing ability displayed at Bioware, I don't think they could have pulled it off.
That's the thing; that's what highlights the brilliance of such a scenario; and, what highlights the insurmountable failure on Bioware's end. Simply switch out the variables in the equation and you have a solid dilemma each time. Instead of railroad workers, it's two pregnant women, and the bystander you need to kill is a doctor. Instead of railroad workers it's two ex-cons who have found God and do charity work, but the bystander you need to kill is a crooked police officer. It's almost impressive that Bioware failed. Shit. Now I'm just getting angry. I wish I could throw Jacob in front a train.

That's the thing; that's what highlights the brilliance of such a scenario; and, what highlights the insurmountable failure on Bioware's end. Simply switch out the variables in the equation and you have a solid dilemma each time. Instead of railroad workers, it's two pregnant women, and the bystander you need to kill is a doctor. Instead of railroad workers it's two ex-cons who have found God and do charity work, but the bystander you need to kill is a crooked police officer. It's almost impressive that Bioware failed. Shit. Now I'm just getting angry.

You know what gets me angry? Seeing how the Genophage cure situation depends on your previous choices and then looking at the ending to ME3. It's literally right there in the game how they should have approached the ending.

Rubezh

I'm not sure if this has been posted before but there's a quite a funny thread on BSN where users are posting pictures about the endings. Below are two of my favourites.

8af.jpg

slide_214608_787945_large.jpg

Dilly

Banned
The whole kill organics to give other organics a chance to thrive making the Reapers the caretakers of organic life in the galaxy sounds quite cool.

I'll just have to replace synthetic with organic in my mind the next time I play the ending. I'll just assume he made a mistake.

rdrr gnr

We need to plug this thread in the inevitable PAX thread.

"Oh, wow. This has huge implications for the ending. Oh, what's that? No open spoilers here? I'll just head on over to the spoiler thread in Community and circlejerk discuss."

Guys, what's better

Telling Mordin about the genophage sabotage right from the start so he sings modern major generalup the elevator

Or

Telling him when you get to the Shroud and bring up how he was for the genophage and against maelons data to get him to yell "I MADE A MISTAKE!" And then letting him go up.

Zen

Banned
Well the signing one is the best, but I ended up arguing with him at the genophage site and then shot him in the back.

Well I'm not going to shoot him! Wondering if watching him display some real anger and regret would be better than him singing. I'm torn.

What happens with Wrex if you don't tell them on the dropship? Does he just never find out you almost didn't cure the genophage?

I liked his reaction when you told them all on the dropship. All "told you we could trust Shepard!"

Hmm dunno what to make of this :-

business week said:
-BioWare, a Label of Electronic Arts Inc. announced Mass Effect™ 3: Extended Cut, a downloadable content pack that will expand upon the events at the end of the critically acclaimed Action RPG. Through additional cinematic sequences and epilogue scenes, the Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut will give fans seeking further clarity to the ending of Mass Effect 3 deeper insights into how their personal journey concludes. Coming this summer, the Mass Effect 3: Extended Cut will be available for download on the Xbox 360® videogame and entertainment system, PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system and PC for no extra charge*.

http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20120405005304/en/BioWare-Announces-Mass-Effect-3-Extended-Cut

Rapstah

The name "extended cut" seriously implies that they're just adding in removed content, and I really doubt that that ever will fix it to the satisfaction of those who disliked its very concept.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
The whole kill organics to give other organics a chance to thrive making the Reapers the caretakers of organic life in the galaxy sounds quite cool.

I'll just have to replace synthetic with organic in my mind the next time I play the ending. I'll just assume he made a mistake.

Sure, it's "cool" if you don't give it a lot of thought, but remember, the Reapers also put the mass relays there so the cultures will develop in a predictable manner. So even if they're thriving, they're still pinned in to the reaper's wishes. Of course that's still ignoring that the Reapers are deciding that ok, you've had your time, now we kill you all, la la la.

Plus if you think about it more, they're pretty much the architects of interstellar travel and culture... It's like building a college, inviting lots of people to the college, and when they reach a certain level of education, deciding it's time to murder them all so more students will come. I really don't see how this is cool.

The name "extended cut" seriously implies that they're just adding in removed content, and I really doubt that that ever will fix it to the satisfaction of those who disliked its very concept.

Honestly, if they can expand on it enough to make it actually coherent, it's fine by me. I like the concept, just not the execution.

Joe Molotov

I'm predicting it will still be shit. Something like "Oh, btw Sheperd, I just wanted to let you know that space magic keeps the Mass Relays from killing everyone, also I can teleport all your friends away from Earth and back onto your ship if you want."

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, I'm expecting nothing good out of this thing.

It's almost as if they planned this in order to get people to keep their games for another few months though. "True ending in a few months, really! You get to see
Tali
naked on the jungle planet now!"

Replicant

I just replayed the game on Insanity and upon reaching the ending, I get the impression that the Reapers and its controller aka the Catalyst aka SpaceBrat are old relics of machinery/programming that at one point may had the right situation for their use but nowadays, they are like old programming that should have been retired but keep running on like Energizer. I wish that's where Bioware had gone with the direction but they didn't. They had the right setting/framework for it but they missed so much and I kept getting stumped on a few annoying facts:

* The main concept of the Reapers' purpose is fucking ridiculous no matter how I see it. As I said before, it would probably made sense for one civilization (one that doesn't have similar power to fight back against synthetics or synthetics that are not sentient enough to feel attachment to its former master) back then but it certainly is not the solution for all kinds of species.
* Anything post beam attack has a WTF tone to it. The hazy look/near the edge of death thing wasn't a good look (or a good game experience). It just confuses people into wondering if this whole thing is a dream or real.
* To some extent both Destroy and Control endings do make sense within the context of the series and both have been discussed throughout the 3rd game. I just don't like the casualties involved in both, mainly space relays. I understand why it worked the way it is but I'll always think that it's so dumb of all the species for building the Crucible and not know what and where the energy to power it may possibly come from. Also, on the writers' part, it's dumb for them to execute this considering what we know about the consequences of destroying relays. And yes, the relays are definitely destroyed with major impacts here (flying shrapnel, supernova, etc). It'd take a super fanwank to figure out how they do not destroy nearby solar system.
* For a supposedly 'new' solution, synthesis ending is completely not-satisfying because it doesn't offer anything new in terms of repercussion. It offers a different solution but in the end, the consequence still stays the same. What's the point of it being a new solution when the consequence is still the same?
* There's a lot of disconnect between post beam attack scene and the citadel scene.
* There are so many missing opportunities that Bioware didn't use, implying EDI's suggestion of giving synthetics individuality, Liara's time capsule instead of creepy grandpa as epilogue, etc.

daoster

"Extended Cut" = I am depressed now.

Nothing is going to change. They're just going to add a scene showing how Anderson got to the central area of the Citadel first before Shepard. MARK MY WORDS.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
"Extended Cut" = I am depressed now.

Nothing is going to change. They're just going to add a scene showing how Anderson got to the central area of the Citadel first before Shepard. MARK MY WORDS.

Really now, if you expect them to just add that... *roll eyes*

Then again, i suppose expecting the worst can only make the real thing looks better.

I knew they would just add cut content. And that still doesn't solve shit.

The gift keeps on giving

Lets at least wait to see what they end up giving us. I'm skeptical as well, but perhaps they can add something in that fills in the gaps and makes the ending at least a little coherent and satisfying.

I'm not holding my breath, just saying.

Honestly, if they can expand on it enough to make it actually coherent, it's fine by me. I like the concept, just not the execution.

This. I didn't dislike the ending perse, I just felt it was rushed and incoherent, if they actually flesh it out give logical explanations for things and a decent epilogue I'll be satisfied. Still, the fact that choices won't matter will remain, but, alas this is probably the best we're getting.

Lets at least wait to see what they end up giving us. I'm skeptical as well, but perhaps they can add something in that fills in the gaps and makes the ending at least a little coherent and satisfying.

I'm not holding my breath, just saying.

True, but there is an old saying "don't polish a turd."

Anyway, this whole ending controversy sure does bring out the stupids

While this announcement has sucked out almost all the enthusiasm I had left for the series (and for continuing the Insanity ME2 run I'm playing right now) I have to admit to being curious about just how they're going to explain and clarify the Xzibit logic and teleporting squadmates.

Patryn

While this announcement has sucked out almost all the enthusiasm I had left for the series (and for continuing the Insanity ME2 run I'm playing right now) I have to admit to being curious about just how they're going to explain and clarify the Xzibit logic and teleporting squadmates.

I don't think they'll clarify the Reaper's purpose.

I think they'll explain that the Relays did not explode, killing every species that we know about.

I think they'll try to explain the teleporting squadmates.

I think they'll try to show that, no, Tali and Garrus do not die from starvation because.... who the fuck knows.

I think they'll try to walk back the galactic dark age.

I think the Buzz scene will no longer be set 10,000 years in the future.

Top Bottom