• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

Lime

From their blog:

What can fans expect from the Extended Cut DLC?

For fans who want more closure in Mass Effect 3, the DLC will offer extended scenes that provide additional context and deeper insight to the conclusion of Commander Shepard’s journey.

Are there going to be more/different endings or ending DLCs in the future?

No. BioWare strongly believes in the team’s artistic vision for the end of this arc of the Mass Effect franchise. The extended cut DLC will expand on the existing endings, but no further ending DLC is planned.

What is BioWare adding to the ending with the Extended Cut DLC?

BioWare will expanding on the ending to Mass Effect 3 by creating additional cinematics and epilogue scenes to the existing ending sequences. The goal of these new scenes is to provide additional clarity and closure to Mass Effect 3.

When will the Extended Cut DLC be available?

Currently the Extended Cut DLC is planned for this summer, no specific date has been announced at this point.

Why are you releasing the Extended Cut DLC?

Though we remain committed and are proud of the artistic choices we made in the main game, we are aware that there are some fans who would like more closure to Mass Effect 3. The goal of the DLC is not to provide a new ending to the game, rather to offer fans additional context and answers to the end of Commander Shepard’s story.

I don't feel they need to alter the ending per se, it's more like there's some mission/s missing that involve Harbinger, that better lead in to the Reapers purpose.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
I think I can live with the ending at this point, as terrible as it was, but I really hope they actually explain the whole bunch of universe screwing they did in those final scenes.
Like, the Relays exploding, that is something they really need to sort out.

If anything I hope they add something that could set up a future game so we can move on and put the terrible ending behind us.

RyanDG

What happens with Wrex if you don't tell them on the dropship? Does he just never find out you almost didn't cure the genophage?

I liked his reaction when you told them all on the dropship. All "told you we could trust Shepard!"

Wrex hunts you down on the Citadel forcing you to kill him. Siding with Dalatrass is actually rather entertaining in a watch the world burn sort of way.

I almost felt bad going that route. Especially when Wrex shouts out 'I trusted you!'.

Is it possible to not tell about the genophage sabotage in the shuttle, but do so later on and still have Mordin sacrifice himself and have Wrex not be pissed and later not die?

This sounds pretty much like what we expected. They refuse to admit they fucked up, and I guess by addressing 5% of the complaints we are supposed to be satisfied? At least it is free, I guess. Your PR better be really shitty, and this content better be really good, or you are still on my shit list Bioware.

Bioware logic: "Hey, see that guy over there? He's inevitably just going to snap and kill you one day, with a shotgun or something. Yeah, believe it! So instead I'm just going to kill you right now, and put, like, a vial of your blood in my pocket. That's better, right?"

Can't believe they're standing by this.

As I've said before, it's hard to put humpty dumpty together again. I find it unreasonable to ask them to change the ending into something radically different. They've made a mistake they can't unmake while preserving their dignity. So to expand on the existing endings while potentially explaining some of the plot holes and bigger points of vagueness (and apparently even personalize the ending a bit) is about the best outcome we could expect at this point.

I'd like to know if the "Shepard survives" thing will manifest itself at all in the new stuff, as I really don't want to play MP.

I don't think they really have a choice but to stand by their endings and do their best to offer a bit more coherence and clarity to them. Should be interesting to see what they come up with.

Before I saw the endings I thought it was odd that fans were calling for BioWare to fix it. I believed in their right as the artists that created the series to finish it up the way that they saw fit. After all, how many Hollywood directors would change the ending of their films because fans demanded it? How about authors with their books?

The ending to the series is what it is and quite frankly it's crap. The ending actually revealed that ME3 isn't the game that many of us hoped it would be. There are gaping holes in the story, missing plot lines, totally missed opportunities, and lame in-game systems that don't prove to be all that useful in the long run. The endings were not just the icing on the cake they also revealed those issues. For example, who amongst us wasn't waiting for some kind of contact or showdown with Harbinger, a villain they set up so well in ME2? The game is fundamentally flawed on a lot of levels and the endings just hammered that point home.

I honestly don't expect the DLC to help in the overall scheme of things. It may be nice to get a glimpse of the galaxy in the aftermath, but aside from that, the story was ultimately a letdown and BioWare isn't going to do anything to fix that. And I'm not sure they should.

Replicant

Disappointing for sure. ME3 is surely the last game I buy from Bioware if this 'initiative' doesn't change jackshit. Good thing I was never into DA and didn't get suckered into ME series until ME2 thanks to owning only PS3.

Disappointing for sure. ME3 is surely the last game I buy from Bioware if this 'initiative' doesn't change jackshit. Good thing I was never into DA and didn't get suckered into ME series until ME2 thanks to owning only PS3.

DA:O is pretty stand-alone though. It's closer to old Bioware. At least play that one. You can get the ultimate edition and DA2 bundled together for 10 bucks on amazon today (PC only).

Zomba13

Not sure how I feel about the DLC. It'll probably be just DA style epilogues (which I would have been fine with at first) but still the shitty ending. We don't really need epilouges for the ending we got. It's easy to speculate what happens. Large fleet stuck around Sol (if they didn't die in the relay explosion) that will eventually starve or war against each other. Normandy crew on the jungle world are going to start having babies and start up Shepardism. Tali and Garrus will die of starvation.

We don't need DLC telling us that stuff.

Replicant

DA:O is pretty stand-alone though. It's closer to old Bioware. At least play that one. You can get the ultimate edition and DA2 bundled together for 10 bucks on amazon today (PC only).

Nah, I don't know why but I have a dislike of dungeons and dragons/medieval style of storylines (GoT, LOTR, Arthurian legend, etc, etc).

daoster

From their blog:

Haha, well...that's that...uninstalling this game when I get home. I hope this attitude of theirs is reflected in much lower DLC sales. All I know is if I ever buy another Bioware game, it definitely won't be new.

I mean, apparently, something worked with DA2, so maybe it'll work here.

Nah, I don't know why but I have a dislike of dungeons and dragons/medieval style of storylines (GoT, LOTR, Arthurian legend, etc, etc).

Dragon Age is SOOOO badass though. Once you play past "The Joining" you will be hooked guaranteed.

It's amazing how one moment in a game can completely change your opinion.

Digoman

So, a "End of Speculation" DLC....

They're going to have to do some amazing writing to make vent-god make any sense. I can only imagine if you were part of the writing team and didn't like the ending in the first place, now you have to help explain it... ouch.

Since the timeline for this and the fact at it's free suggests Bioware is scrambling to respond, and from their own blog "The extended cut DLC will expand on the existing endings, but no further ending DLC is planned.", can we at least discard the indoctrination theory now? Yeah... who I'm kidding. But I can dream (pun intended).

Well, since I'm stuck with my copy on Origin, guess I'll see in the summer what's their idea for addressing the fans concerns. They can't make any worse? Right? Right??

Well, since I'm stuck with my copy on Origin, guess I'll see in the summer what's their idea for addressing the fans concerns. They can't make any worse? Right? Right??

I just it hope it takes previous decisions into account. A single clarification CG cutscene will not do.

Myomoto

Disappointed that they're sticking with their explanation of the Reapers' purpose, but I'll adopt a 'wait and see' stance on this.

You know, even if they had changed the ending to something less shitty, you still have that horrible taste from the original endings. It would only be for the sake of new players who hadn't played ME3 yet - and I'm sure many those on the fence have been turned off by the DLC debacle and the ending rageathon.

If it costs money, I'm just going to YouTube the ending. If it's free I'll check it out.

Dresden

You know, even if they had changed the ending to something less shitty, you still have that horrible taste from the original endings. It would only be for the sake of new players who hadn't played ME3 yet - and I'm sure many those on the fence have been turned off by the DLC debacle and the ending rageathon.

If it costs money, I'm just going to YouTube the ending. If it's free I'll check it out.

They've already said it'll be free.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
DLC ending will add maybe one or two minutes at most to ending. It will show a Reaper chasing the Normandy explaining why it fled into a Relay. That will probably be the most significant thing shown. I'm honestly not expecting too much from all this.

Disappointed that they're sticking with their explanation of the Reapers' purpose, but I'll adopt a 'wait and see' stance on this.
Yeah, me too. That to me was the worse offense. Horrible purpose, especially after the great dialogue between Shepard and Sovereign in the first game.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Welp. Unfortunately, IT will still exist until summer at the very least. A shame.

I just it hope it takes previous decisions into account. A single clarification CG cutscene will not do.

Jessica Merizan just specifically stated that it depends on your decisions.

But she also has restated her position of 'In my mind, I can imagine Shep and the crew getting back together' and 'I play one of my playthroughs imagining IT' so take it with a grain of salt.

Also quite interesting that they released this a day before PAX, and not during.

Omega DLC news dropping tomorrow, I bet.

Myomoto

Welp. Unfortunately, IT will still exist until summer at the very least. A shame.

Jessica Merizan just specifically stated that it depends on your decisions.

But she also has restated her position of 'In my mind, I can imagine Shep and the crew getting back together' and 'I play one of my playthroughs imagining IT' so take it with a grain of salt.

Also quite interesting that they released this a day before PAX, and not during.

It sounded like any 'post ending DLC' will be delayed until beyond summer.

Metroidvania

That's directly opposing Christina Norman's "Consumers are idiots about DLC, we have to get it out the door ASAP to sell to the most people".

Would it make sense to quell the fans? Possibly. Would it make sense business-wise to sit on a product, especially just after you 'appeased' the fans with info about clarifying the stuff they've been complaining about? Not as much.

Although this could all be a giant sham for INDOCTRINATION getting released tomorrow.

Also, it basically sounds like they're going to re-include the Shepard questioning the Catalyst, and differentiate the end-game cutscenes from the palette swaps to real differences, show the fleets, etc.

edit: It is odd that they haven't directly said "No, it's not IT". The tweets are being cryptic as well. Oh, Bioware. You're using your fans' hopes to sustain faith in your brand. How very cruel.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

Or rather "pre ending DLC". I mean, what sort of DLC can they do that take place after the game ends?

Play as Joker as he try to seduce EDI while Garrus watch from behind a bush on the unknown jungle planet.

What the fuckidty fuck! I thought it was suppose to be tomorrow, I was counting down every day. And now they tell us this!? That could mean absoultely anything AND I have to wait till summer?! At least we are 100% sure they did not have this planned... free + summer = no plans. My god, I was stressed for weeks hoping they address it. Now I have to wait till summer.

This could be great (for me though). I mean, they could do enough ending things where they could do the epic war that shows your war assets being utilized ect. Or they could still go with the indoc theory w/ out the gameplay. Or they could just change Green into Orange. Who the fuck knows... now I have to wait 2-4 months to find out.

Well, that's it. Im done stressing about this series.

jIbVP.png

They are really going to need to "clarify" that.

Metroidvania

Some tweets from Jessica (there's an image there, forgot about the now "imgur" rule)

http://social.bioware.com/forum/Mas...everyone-Picture-proof-inside-11037819-1.html

Unfortunately, she's already explained her position as based off of 'wishful thinking' and 'using my imagination' regarding these same issues before DLC was announced.

So there's no guarantee this will actually happen in-game.

Edit: Sigh.

DarthTeneo ‏ @DarthTeneo
@JessicaMerizan cmon the indoc theory was assumed by many as true because of YOUR tweets, can you please be decent enough to deny it now?

Jessica Merizan ‏ @JessicaMerizan Close
@DarthTeneo I'm not going to confirm or deny it. I believe in interpretation. And it's no secret I like the analysis as a fan.

WELL fuckidityfuck. Here comes the cock teases over the next 4 months and ruining my life once again.

I just want to move on already -_-

This could be amazing. Or exactly the same with prettier colors.

And thanks journalists for constantly bombarding Bioware with, "I've lost ALL my respect for them! Ruining their artistic integrity for entitled jerks! They shouldnt change it, just add to it!". The same journalists that wont give a shit when this comes out... thanks for telling us what we want. You are swell.

Metroidvania

Well, Jessica Merizan has said that she will have a typed up reply re:The seeming disconnect between her tweets and the Blog's FAQ of the level of clarification.

So I guess we wait and see whether she means 'use your imagination' or actual in-gameplay footage.

Patryn

Guessing it was an attempt to curb fan anger right from the start of the panel. I don't think they wanted their people to walk into a hostile environment, and they hope that this announcement will cool things down.

I expect more details on what will be involved in this tomorrow.

Guessing it was an attempt to curb fan anger right from the start of the panel. I don't think they wanted their people to walk into a hostile environment, and they hope that this announcement will cool things down.

I expect more details on what will be involved in this tomorrow.
:lol

Myomoto

Or rather "pre ending DLC". I mean, what sort of DLC can they do that take place after the game ends?

Play as Joker as he try to seduce EDI while Garrus watch from behind a bush on the unknown jungle planet.

Uh, yeah pre ending. I fucked that up.

Edit: Wait, part of the ending might be more less trivially rebuilding the relays? Then why even keep that part of the ending in the first place? ARGH!

Prologue

Should have actually used common sense during development instead of causing all this drama. +3 months for closure DLC? Was their "artistic" vision really worth it?

I just have a hard time letting someone hide behind "artistic integrity" when they use "LOTS OF SPECULATION FROM EVERYONE" as a basis for taking 100 hours of a choose-your-adventure Star Wars-ish universe and ending it with 5 minutes of plot holes, logical inconsistencies, and "2 deep 4 u" bullshit. Then following that up with "buy DLC! "

Top Bottom