• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

RyanDG

I just have a hard time letting someone hide behind "artistic integrity" when they use "LOTS OF SPECULATION FROM EVERYONE" as a basis for taking 100 hours of a choose-your-adventure Star Wars-ish universe and ending it with 5 minutes of plot holes, logical inconsistencies, and "2 deep 4 u" bullshit. Then following that up with "buy DLC! "

Midi-chlorians!

Been forever since I've seen Ep 1,so I can't remember which of these was the explanation of them:

1) They attach to someone, giving them Force power, or

2) They are attracted to the Force, so they attach to someone strong in the Force.

Either way, when you measured them, more Midi's = stronger Force user.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
one thing is certain:if EA didn't felt any pressure they wouldn't release free dlc over xbl.

whatever the dlc does....

They've released free DLC before, they did a bunch for ME2 and Burnout Paradise.

Been forever since I've seen Ep 1,so I can't remember which of these was the explanation of them:

1) They attach to someone, giving them Force power, or

2) They are attracted to the Force, so they attach to someone strong in the Force.

Either way, when you measured them, more Midi's = stronger Force user.

It is suppose to be the second one isn't it, the Force being a separate entity and MC just being a way they measure it.
Which is why I never understood why it was really that bad.

RyanDG

It has been a while, why did Midi-chlorians "ruin" the force again?

After establishing the rules of the force in Episodes IV - VI, George Lucas decides to try to 'explain' the force by introducing the concept of microscopic living organisms that essentially control everything in Episode I, simultaneously eliminating a lot of the spiritual/mysterious implications and replacing it with an extremely haphazard explanation that really shouldn't satisfy anyone.

Just found it funny the comment about artistic integrity mentioning Star Wars (even as a throw-away comparison). :p

Ha, yeah. I always thought it was like #2 in my above post, though I don't care to watch Ep 1 to confirm. My point was mostly don't try to shoe-horn deep philosophy at the last minute where it doesn't belong.

Maybe replace with Babylon 5,but that's still not perfect. At least there Sheridan told the ancient assholes to piss off and let us run our own galaxy, haha.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
After establishing the rules of the force in Episodes IV - VI, George Lucas decides to try to 'explain' the force by introducing the concept of microscopic living organisms that essentially control everything in Episode I, simultaneously eliminating a lot of the spiritual/mysterious implications and replacing it with an extremely haphazard explanation that really shouldn't satisfy anyone.
So the space magic in ME3 shouldn't be answered because it could be worse? But nanomachines!

RyanDG

So the space magic in ME3 shouldn't be answered because it could be worse? But nanomachines!

Not necessarily. But perhaps some of the mysteries of ME 1-2, like the force in episodes IV - VI, shouldn't have attempted to be answered (such as the reapers motivations), because whatever 'answer' Bioware would deliver wouldn't be as satisfying as the mystery itself.

There are really a lot of parallels between the changes in the ME 1 to 2 to 3 compared to the things that happened between the star wars OT and prequels.

hateradio

Maybe it'll be synthesized with the Extended Cut edition.

OT3 | Extended For Your Pleasure

Not necessarily. But perhaps some of the mysteries of ME 1-2, like the force in episodes IV - VI, shouldn't have attempted to be answered (such as the reapers motivations), because whatever 'answer' Bioware would deliver wouldn't be as satisfying as the mystery itself.

There are really a lot of parallels between the changes in the ME 1 to 2 to 3 compared to the things that happened between the star wars OT and prequels.
I haven't seen any SW movies beyond the first.

I agree that the Reapers's intentions were flawed. It's just unfortunate that the writers truly wanted to go with technological singularity, and then throw in space magic. It's all kinds of fucked.

hateradio

It's implied! Not having to say that means that I said it through telepathic waves emanating from my text.

That reminds me of Casey's interview wherein he states that video games can have a message in them without having to make a statement.

Maybe it'll be synthesized with the Extended Cut edition.

OT3 | Extended For Your Pleasure

OT3 | The Cycle continues

I agree that the Reapers's intentions were flawed. It's just unfortunate that the writers truly wanted to go with technological singularity, and then throw in space magic. It's all kinds of fucked.

It's dumb that they wanted to go the singularity route. There was no setup for it and it's not what the series is about. It's at home more in the Deus Ex universe.

Pancho

Qurupancho
*sigh*
Expected, Bioware doesn't understand what made the series great in the 1st place. At least it's free, curious to see how they try to bullshit themselves out the crappy ending.

So the fleets may not be stuck on Earth because they still have their FTL drives. That means they can at least navigate the local star cluster. The silver lining :p

Zen

Banned
Was anyone else really disappointed with how your only choice with the Geth (if you brokered peace or not) was to use the Reaper code and make them all true individual AIs?

To me part of the appeal of the Geth was that they were AI by consensus, and that their intelligence depending largely on how many of them could communicate with one another to form said consensus. They just seemed more... boring... with the idea that each program was a true self, rather than numerous individual parts of a whole. I loved how they identified as multiple programs forming one entity 'Geth' but that did not mean, to them, that there was only one of them.

hateradio

^ Yeah, that was an odd shift from the previous Geth to the new, if you chose to upload the Reaper code.

If you are replying to me, to clarify, I mean for a friend that has Javik but hasn't been using him consistently. I'm not trying to bring up the argument about whether or not he should buy the DLC.
I think he's talking about the other thread, and this thread's death.

Your friend will be missing some interesting interaction between Liara and Javik if he doesn't take him along. I would say it's best to just tell him to make sure to take Javik.

Rufus

What happens in the Asari mission if you don't use Javik? Should I warn a friend to take Javik into that mission, or is it fine without him?
I had Garrus with me and he made comments about the Asari's pantheon looking awfully familiar to Protheans, just as Javik did. He's not an ass about it, but he does keep bringing it up. But I did have the DLC...

What I wanna know now is what happens if you don't have the DLC. Does anyone still comment on how the statues look Prothean, or do they say the look like Collectors?

RyanDG

I had Garrus with me and he made comments about the Asari's pantheon looking awfully familiar to Protheans, just as Javik did. He's not an ass about it, but he does keep bringing it up.

What I wanna know now is what happens if you don't have the DLC, at all. Does anyone still comment on how the statues look Prothean, or do they say the look like Collectors?

considering that you are aware that the collectors are prothean by the end of ME2, I'm presuming they'll still say prothean.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Was anyone else really disappointed with how your only choice with the Geth (if you brokered peace or not) was to use the Reaper code and make them all true individual AIs?

To me part of the appeal of the Geth was that they were AI by consensus, and that their intelligence depending largely on how many of them could communicate with one another to form said consensus. They just seemed more... boring... with the idea that each program was a true self, rather than numerous individual parts of a whole. I loved how they identified as multiple programs forming one entity 'Geth' but that did not mean, to them, that there was only one of them.

I agree, i liked the old Legion. It was really interesting in 2 to look at the legion stuff at the shadow broker base. his gaming history was the best and gave a nice insight into his personality.

Plus it was weird after watching the history of the Geth in the consensus. I don't see why they needed the reaper tech, the whole point of that scene was to show they were people back then, too.

Rufus

considering that you are aware that the collectors are prothean by the end of ME2, I'm presuming they'll still say prothean.
That's what I assume too, but with the Collectors being modified extensively (I forget the exact wording, but it suggested extreme meddling) it'd give Liara a possible out, since she's not really into the entire idea that Protheans uplifted the Asari.

Well, it's an extremely small point...

It also goes against what Legion said in ME2 about finding their own way through life and not utilizing the Reapers

Galactic Fork

It also goes against what Legion said in ME2 about finding their own way through life and not utilizing the Reapers

Yeah, plus it was a cheap cop out to completely anthropomorphize one of the truly unique species in the game. Just because the consensus was different from our individual consciousness, they weren't "fully" conscious.

Yeah, plus it was a cheap cop out to completely anthropomorphize one of the truly unique species in the game. Just because the consensus was different from our individual consciousness, they weren't "fully" conscious.

It's more like Bioware just wanted to kill someone else off. They killed a lot of people in this game.

DTKT

It's more like Bioware just wanted to kill someone else off. They killed a lot of people in this game.

Most the death scene made some sense. Mordin sacrificed himself in order to save the Krogan, Thane died because he was sick and Legion "died".

No issues with that.

Zeliard

Most of the deaths were pretty good, but Legion's was perfect. Outside of the events on Tuchanka, Legion's sacrifice was the best part of the game, and probably the apex of the whole series.

Galactic Fork

Most of the deaths were pretty good, but Legion's was perfect. Outside of the events on Tuchanka, Legion's sacrifice was the best part of the game, and probably the apex of the whole series.

Legion's death bugs me the most for what I was saying above. It was a consensus of almost 1200 geth applications. It was my favorite squadmate in 2. The programs combined to make an interesting person. And I liked the implication that if you put 1200 other geth programs in a different mobile unit, it too would be complex enough to interact fully with organics, but it would have different viewpoints from the Legion we know.

But then in 3, they discount the consensus intelligence as a "less than" out of nowhere compared to our superior individual intelligences, and imply that is what Geth wanted all along, even though that was never suggested before.

Then there's the scene where Legion is dying. It'd just been given this shiny new intelligence, but it was never really said exactly what this is. Were the 1183 geth completely reformed into one big program? There was nothing wrong with Legion before. Why is this better? I just get the sense that Bioware thought nobody would care about Legion's death if it was just its consensus, so they had to make it a real boy before killing it. Like Pinocchio. Ugh.

Replicant

Most the death scene made some sense. Mordin sacrificed himself in order to save the Krogan, Thane died because he was sick and Legion "died".

No issues with that.

At the same time, it feels as if Bioware created Mass Effect 2 simply so that they can have a pool of characters they can massacre in ME3 since the players have formed attachment to them.

I mean look at the characters list:

Will always die: Mordin, Thane, Legion
Will always die unless you eat Seafood with her: Kelly Chambers
Can die if you're not quick/observant: Miranda, Jack, Grunt, Samara (and maybe Jacob, I should have not bothered with that Cerberus mission to see if this possible)

RyanDG

At the same time, it feels as if Bioware created Mass Effect 2 simply so that they can have a pool of characters they can massacre in ME3 since the players have formed attachment to them.

Can die if you're not quick/observant: Miranda, Jack, Grunt, Samara (and maybe Jacob, I should have not bothered with that Cerberus mission to see if this possible)

It's possible to save Mordin.

Galactic Fork

Actually Mordin can live if you killed Wrex in 1, and destroyed the genophage cure in 2. Wreve will be in charge, and Eve will be dead, so you can convince Mordin to not go up the elevator.

Zeliard

Legion's death bugs me the most for what I was saying above. It was a consensus of almost 1200 geth applications. It was my favorite squadmate in 2. The programs combined to make an interesting person. And I liked the implication that if you put 1200 other geth programs in a different mobile unit, it too would be complex enough to interact fully with organics, but it would have different viewpoints from the Legion we know.

But then in 3, they discount the consensus intelligence as a "less than" out of nowhere compared to our superior individual intelligences, and imply that is what Geth wanted all along, even though that was never suggested before.

Then there's the scene where Legion is dying. It'd just been given this shiny new intelligence, but it was never really said exactly what this is. Were the 1183 geth completely reformed into one big program? There was nothing wrong with Legion before. Why is this better? I just get the sense that Bioware thought nobody would care about Legion's death if it was just its consensus, so they had to make it a real boy before killing it. Like Pinocchio. Ugh.

I thought it was just an appropriate evolution of the character. By the end, he calls himself "I" instead of "we" as his individual programs had combined to shape a singular whole, and he uploads the Reaper code and sacrifices himself to imbue the Geth consensus with that same form of individuality and free will. It was just a natural evolution.

By calling himself "we," he was still operating on consensus. He had a form of free will because the high number of A.I. programs in his system made him highly intelligent, but the other Geth didn't share that. When he labels himself "I" at the end, it's significant because it denotes a change in his thought process. It fits with him asking Tali if she thinks he has a soul. These aren't questions a consensus would ask, but rather an individual.

The Geth in ME3 were controlled by the Reapers and so weren't a true consensus - they were slaves. They had made that deal as a collective because the Reaper code, while malevolent, had the side effect of making them more intelligent for the Quarian war. Legion was the only one with any free will prior to that, but it was due to his unique programming which the other Geth didn't share. Ultimately, the Reaper code in combination with Legion's sacrifice created an intelligent, individualistic Geth society that wasn't dependent on the collective to shape their thoughts and actions. The Reaper code gave them the requisite intelligence and Legion imbued them with personality.

hateradio

Just remembered something, but Thane and Jack never showed up in my game. Any reason why?

I was playing off a clean file in PS3.
If they didn't die in ME2 . . .

You meet Thane in the hospital. He later appears to fight Kai Leng.

You meet Jack at the academy. If you didn't, she'll appear as a random Cerberus agent in the base.

I thought it was just an appropriate evolution of the character. By the end, he calls himself "I" instead of "we" as his individual programs had combined to shape a singular whole, and he uploads the Reaper code and sacrifices himself to imbue the Geth consensus with that same form of individuality and free will. It was just a natural evolution.

By calling himself "we," he was still operating on consensus. He had a form of free will because the high number of A.I. programs in his system made him highly intelligent, but the other Geth didn't share that. When he labels himself "I" at the end, it's significant because it denotes a change in his thought process. It fits with him asking Tali if she thinks he has a soul. These aren't questions a consensus would ask, but rather an individual.

The Geth in ME3 were controlled by the Reapers and so weren't a true consensus - they were slaves. They had made that deal as a collective because the Reaper code, while malevolent, had the side effect of making them more intelligent for the Quarian war. Legion was the only one with any free will prior to that, but it was due to his unique programming which the other Geth didn't share. Ultimately, the Reaper code in combination with Legion's sacrifice created an intelligent, individualistic Geth society that wasn't dependent on the collective to shape their thoughts and actions. The Reaper code gave them the requisite intelligence and Legion imbued them with personality.

This is all based off of the assumption that individual personalities as developed by apes on planet Earth is somehow objectively superior to a unique form of life and thought by consensus formed by synthetics on the opposite side of the galaxy.

Dany

Banned
If they didn't die in ME2 . . .

You meet Thane in the hospital. He later appears to fight Kai Leng.

You meet Jack at the academy. If you didn't, she'll appear as a random Cerberus agent in the base.

Morinth was a Banshee, that was so weird seeing her name in a battle. I heard Jack is a Cerberus phantom?

when do we have sea food with kelly in me2?

in my save,can't save mordin as i saved the genophage data,but has got wrex killed.

Also thane can be saved if u dont meet him in the hospital,but his son will die instead.
Also not sure on this but someone i guesss in this forum metioned that if u did not meet his son in me2 and did not visit him in hospital,the salarian council member will die.

Then the ending kills everyone else.

(Also there's the fakeout death of Kasumi, but that's more for comedic effect.)

hateradio

Morinth was a Banshee, that was so weird seeing her name in a battle. I heard Jack is a Cerberus phantom?
That is correct. Jack appears as a phantom at the base.

when do we have sea food with kelly in me2?
It's part of her romance.

I also feel like BW intentionally tried to kill of everyone in ME2, either at the end of the suicide mission or in ME3 if you fuck something up. :p

Top Bottom