• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

C4Lukins

I am currently on my second playthrough of the original Mass Effect and WOW! I almost miss the scanning from two. It is basically 4 well developed areas and that is it. Those that are pissed about the direction of 2 and 3 need to take a step back.

When it comes to bionics, half of them are different forms of lift. Compared to 3, it still has the same amount of weapons and uprgrades, but you do not have to micromanage them. The sidequests are really bad. The evolution is huge, and between 2 and 3 they became more accessible yet were equally as complex considering the derivative nature of the powers in the game

Fjordson

HOW THE SHIT DO I BEAT KAI LENG ON INSANITY M READY TO KILL MYSELF WTF IS THIS BULLSHIT.
Speaking of Kai Leng...who is he? Sort of appeared out of nowhere here and is set up as this ultimate rival to Shepard, but I had no clue who the hell he was.

Apparently he's from the books, but it made for a pretty weak baddie for those of us just into the games.

HOW THE SHIT DO I BEAT KAI LENG ON INSANITY M READY TO KILL MYSELF WTF IS THIS BULLSHIT.

For kai lang,use overload,shield drain.

if u r infiltrator use black widow/window with clock.
when he recharges do not hit him,use inferno grenades on the enemies that come along(2 shld do).

also in the start he would come to u,keep pressing the melee button.
get away from him and hit him with everything u have.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Someone on SA asked Patrick Weekes questions at PAX:

Some of it's reasonable, some of it seems like they're stretching to say "what looked like it actually happened didn't, because of reasons that we didn't elaborate on."

Sooo if all that was true about them suddenly upgrading all their FTL (hopefully before the Quarians and Turians starve to death), I'm still wondering where they're going to get all the element zero since all travel will require it. And only the destroy ending will let us take apart the reapers and improve FTL (assuming everybody doesn't get indoctrinated if even dead reapers send in indoctrination rays). Also, if there's not super dark age, how did the information about Shepard become all muddled in the creepy after credits thing? I would think computers would be able to keep the data pretty well preserved. At least enough that Shepard isn't elevated to "The" status. Plus, why would the kid be asking "when can I go to the stars grandpa" if space travel was so common then? Kid probably went into space for donuts that morning.

*sigh* I'm just bitter of annoying plot spackle.

Dany

Banned
Could have had more reaper variety. Surely a reaper elcor could be a formidable opponent. Maybe combine hanar and drell into one mutant tentacle ninja reaper since they're mainly from the same planet now.

ME2 had more 'enemy types' but not enough variety,y everyone mostly shot at you the same way. ME3 had waaay more variety, even though that came to the concenion of just fighting 3 factions each individual had to be taken down a specific way, which I think was the smarter move.

Rapstah

Weekes seems an all right guy from the way he's commenting on this all. He obviously can't be officially critical of the ending because of his job, but he's doing a pretty good job actually talking.

Draft

I don't like the ending as what literally happened. I'd be even more disappointed if it was some hallucination representing what happened.

Mass Effect fell prey to the most common problem with long form sci-fi and fantasy: a strong start with a weak finish. The clowns that write this stuff shove every good idea into the early chapters. If the series takes off they have to scramble for an effective ending and it usually ends up being garbage.

The series has been sci-fi pap since the beginning. The writers seem to think they earned the right to go all philosophical at the end, and that's bullshit. ME is about fun sci-fi garbage. Evil alien menace from beyond the stars, humanities last best hope, galactic intrigue, banging sexy green women, etc.

ME1 and ME2 didn't do dream sequences, they didn't ask the player to question the validity of what was on screen, they didn't have unreliable narrators or post modern storytelling. The storytelling was WYSIWYG. Abandoning that at the last second is a frustrating dismissal of the narrative.

Also, what fucking balls on these guys to frame the DLC delivery mechanism as "continuing your legend." Holy crap, as if the conclusion wasn't already completely unsatisfying, let's just pretend it didn't happen so Bioware can sell a few more $10 sidequests.

I beat this yesterday, opened this thread and laughed at Marauder Shields for a good 5 minutes.

Replicant

Platinum'd.

Now just waiting for the fixed ending in July......LOL, what a joke. Unless they somehow managed to make a really good one, people are likely to have move on from this game by then.

senador

Banned
Someone on SA asked Patrick Weekes questions at PAX:

Some of it's reasonable, some of it seems like they're stretching to say "what looked like it actually happened didn't, because of reasons that we didn't elaborate on."

Sadness. I really wish the game had been delayed another 6 months to a year.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Sadness. I really wish the game had been delayed another 6 months to a year.

Should have gotten the same dev time as 2, which was around 3 years. They didnt learn anything from rushing out DA 2, did they. And by they, I mean EA.

Dysun

I am currently on my second playthrough of the original Mass Effect and WOW! I almost miss the scanning from two. It is basically 4 well developed areas and that is it. Those that are pissed about the direction of 2 and 3 need to take a step back.

When it comes to bionics, half of them are different forms of lift. Compared to 3, it still has the same amount of weapons and uprgrades, but you do not have to micromanage them. The sidequests are really bad. The evolution is huge, and between 2 and 3 they became more accessible yet were equally as complex considering the derivative nature of the powers in the game

Exactly. It's kind of baffling how people love to bash 2 for taking out the totally barren empty overworld/mako areas and copy/paste facility side quests.

Rapstah

Exactly. It's kind of baffling how people love to bash 2 for taking out the totally barren empty overworld/mako areas and copy/paste facility side quests.

Reused factory areas is totally equal to reused multiplayer N7 missions. I think 2's balance of hubs and explorable worlds was better than the mostly explorable worlds of 1, or the single hub of 3, though.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I finished watching part 5 of the PAX video, it sucks that it cuts off right at the Q&A.

Some of us like desolate, empty worlds.

I personally don't see how scanning is better. In fact it was so bad, that I ended up just saying screw it. I actually used a save editor to change the value of the elements.

Patryn

Stuff like this makes me feel that the entitled fan shit is accurate. People were honestly misunderstanding what CP's role in that campaign was. And there's a huge difference between a campaign with a stated goal havIng a drive and a corporation contributing.

Regardless, the fact remains that I honestly believe they liked the ending or did not mind it, a fact that some fans can't seem to understand. Seriously, some people liked the ending.

Arjen

Oh man, just got of the phone with a friend who just finsihed the game. I kept telling him to prepare for the worst beforehand, but he ranted for about 45 minutes just now how awfull it was. Poor guy

Massa

Should have gotten the same dev time as 2, which was around 3 years. They didnt learn anything from rushing out DA 2, did they. And by they, I mean EA.

Wasn't it pretty much 26 months between ME1 and 2, and another 26 months between 2 and 3?

And 3 had a much more solid foundation to build on.

Reused factory areas is totally equal to reused multiplayer N7 missions. I think 2's balance of hubs and explorable worlds was better than the mostly explorable worlds of 1, or the single hub of 3, though.

I agree. Also in ME2 you not only have three hubs but the missions you launch from them fit thematically as well (for example, Samantha's loyalty mission and Mordin and Garrus recruit missions fit very well in Omega). In Mass Effect 3 you're just jumping from blue mountain planet to brown to red.

So in my ending I chose the middle synthesis option and at the end, the plants on the planet and the Normandy crew were part synthetic, is this the best ending?

Gui_PT

Sorry for going a bit off topic, but on the final cutscene I get some sort of visual glitch.

It's like the whole screen is covered by a dark blue filter for a few seconds and then it goes back to normal.

Anyone else get this? 360 btw.

Dany

Banned
Sorry for going a bit off topic, but on the final cutscene I get some sort of visual glitch.

It's like the whole screen is covered by a dark blue filter for a few seconds and then it goes back to normal.

Nah but my screen was all orange/red at the end, game f'ed up.

Seriously though, no that didn't happen to me.

hateradio

So in my ending I chose the middle synthesis option and at the end, the plants on the planet and the Normandy crew were part synthetic, is this the best ending?
There is no best ending.

If you mean that the colors look like they're almost inverted, then yeah, I think that's a glitch. A few people have uploaded endings where the colors are purple and stuff, but I haven't experienced that on the PC.

hateradio

Well, having Shepard die at the end of ME2 seems quite good in retrospect.
I mean from the three endings, there is no "best" ending. According to BW, that's up to your own personal choice to decide.

I thought Shep's death was alright, but then the stupid destroy ending (with 5000 EMS) has him/her survive, which invalidates the idea.

DTKT

kBIFo.jpg

Draft

Is it impossible to get the Shepard survives ending without playing multiplayer? I did a ton of side quests and had a readiness "number" in the mid 6 thousands, but because I played no MP the readiness was locked at 50% and my effective readiness was just a little north of 3,000. I left like 4 side missions undone before going into the final mission and it seems unlikely they would have pumped my total readiness to the 10,000 range.

Digoman

Is it impossible to get the Shepard survives ending without playing multiplayer? I did a ton of side quests and had a readiness "number" in the mid 6 thousands, but because I played no MP the readiness was locked at 50% and my effective readiness was just a little north of 3,000. I left like 4 side missions undone before going into the final mission and it seems unlikely they would have pumped my total readiness to the 10,000 range.

Yes. I think the max you can get in a game is about 7200 points.... let me find a link to a guide on BSN... here:

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/347/index/10119654

Says it's about 7300. So 3650 without any MP or iOS apps. If you can paragon/renegade the Illusive man in the end, I think you need 4000 (5000 if you fail to make he shoot himself) to see the "Shepard lives" end, so you still need to play at least one or two MP matches to raise your Readiness.

Draft

Yes. I think the max you can get in a game is about 7200 points.... let me find a link to a guide on BSN... here:

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/347/index/10119654

Says it's about 7300. So 3650 without any MP or iOS apps. If you can paragon/renegade the Illusive man in the end, I think you need 4000 (5000 if you fail to make he shoot himself) to see the "Shepard lives" end, so you still need to play at least one or two MP matches to raise your Readiness.
Yes, that cracked me up. The only dialog I couldn't paragon in the entire game. Stupid system.

I was also able to get a refund for Mass Effect 3, via Origin Live Help/Live Chat. It took a while, but I was able to get across my complete dissatisfaction with the game. First, I got an offer to "trade" Mass Effect 3 with another game at similar or cheaper cost. Some more civil arguments later, and I was asked for my order number along with my credit card info.

The Catch: I bought ME3 and Batman: Arkham City at the same time, and to refund ME 3 requires me to refund Batman: AC also.

The reasoning is that because I bought Batman at a discount, due to buying ME3 via Origin, for 10 bucks, that I shouldn't keep access to Batman. It was a promotional offer, and in refunding ME3 I have to refund Batman also.

I understand the corporate thinking behind this, but from a consumer perspective this is both devious and terrible. Batman was a fun game too, and it sucks balls :(. Lesson learned....

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I was also able to get a refund for Mass Effect 3, via Origin Live Help/Live Chat. It took a while, but I was able to get across my complete dissatisfaction with the game. First, I got an offer to "trade" Mass Effect 3 with another game at similar or cheaper cost. Some more civil arguments later, and I was asked for my order number along with my credit card info.

The Catch: I bought ME3 and Batman: Arkham City at the same time, and to refund ME 3 requires me to refund Batman: AC also.

The reasoning is that because I bought Batman at a discount, due to buying ME3 via Origin, for 10 bucks, that I shouldn't keep access to Batman. It was a promotional offer, and in refunding ME3 I have to refund Batman also.

I understand the corporate thinking behind this, but from a consumer perspective this is both devious and terrible. Batman was a fun game too, and it sucks balls :(. Lesson learned....

Nice. Use the refund to re-buy Arkham City. What a baller game.

Top Bottom