• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

So to get away from ending chat, let's tally up all the glitches we got.

I got:

-Broken quest markers (various sidequests)
-Reloading after a crash, spawn underneath the level to fall into infinity (Tuchanka bomb mission)
-Invisible people (The merc prisoner on the monitor, the guy who wanted to kill the C-Sec traitor, Garrus on Jacob's sidequest ["Nice to see you" says Jacob to wall], I think I was supposed to see Kai Leng decloak or something after the Udina coup, since it lingered on a shot of a railing)]
-Broken quest (the Harvesters in the second half of the Primarch's son mission never loaded, forcing me to restart the mission)
-Gabby and Ken having barely any dialogue (apparently a glitch that happens if Ashley is dead in your game)
-Recon Hood crazy eyes
-Doctor Chakwas why are you standing in that table
-Infinitely descending Cerberus troops (AKA frozen in their "slowing descent" pose)
-A freaky part where I skipped the end of a line when the Asari Councilor was asking me to go to Thessia, and the camera kept moving but Shepard and her suddenly went into default animation poses and froze
-Minos Wasteland infinitely blinking with no missions
-Liara's monitors flipped the fuck out whenever I turned around, causing them to spin in every direction
-Frequently got stuck in the cockpit while running back and forth and talking to Joker and EDI
-Something in the final London prep scene where I would get stuck in place for a second while Shepard's head moved around like crazy (near the guy advising the marine over the radio)
-Random disconnect from servers, causing my Readiness to drop to 0%, which multiplied by my War Assets to give me 0 EMS

I think that's it. There were a bunch of crashes leading to black screens with music playing, but I'm not sure if that was the game or me.

But what's the point? They'll have a dumb plot to kill everyone for reasons we can't understand -- something like they kill humans because humans are too cool for the galaxy.

I suppose they can go the DA rout:
The Darkspawn (Reapers and their husks) are not all gone and there is a new threat of Templars vs Mages (Soldiers vs Bionics).

And Marauder Shields as The Architect.

Massa

But what's the point? They'll have a dumb plot to kill everyone for reasons we can't understand -- something like they kill humans because humans are too cool for the galaxy.

I suppose they can go the DA rout:
The Darkspawn (Reapers and their husks) are not all gone and there is a new threat of Templars vs Mages (Soldiers vs Bionics).

Well yeah, for all the problems Dragon Age 2 had I thought the basic premise of it was far more interesting than the usual "evil unleashed on the world, go be a hero and save it".

In the Mass Effect trilogy the success of the story telling for me was in solving conflicts just like that - geth vs quarians, turians vs krogan vs salarians (those and the personal relationships). The bigger-than-everything-threat of the reapers is where it actually all fell apart in each of the three games, and I wouldn't mind seeing that kind of premise gone from future Bioware games, doing that is not their strength.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Well yeah, for all the problems Dragon Age 2 had I thought the basic premise of it was far more interesting than the usual "evil unleashed on the world, go be a hero and save it".

In the Mass Effect trilogy the success of the story telling for me was in solving conflicts just like that - geth vs quarians, turians vs krogan vs salarians (those and the personal relationships). The bigger-than-everything-threat of the reapers is where it actually all fell apart in each of the three games, and I wouldn't mind seeing that kind of premise gone from future Bioware games, doing that is not their strength.
What was the basic premise of DA2? You're some random person that becomes . . . used by the douche
Anders and the Templars/Mages
into starting a war?

I agree, however, that Bio's strength is now in the compartmentalization of their plots, not the grand arcs, except I feel that they did do a good job in ME and DAO.

To be honest I was disappointed that the plot of DA2 escalated at all. I was quite happy when it was the tale of a few people and their struggles, when
the chantry blew up
all I could think was, woo, time for everything to get "epic".

What was the basic premise of DA2? You're some random person that becomes . . . used by the douche
into starting a war?

I agree, however, that Bio's strength is now in the compartmentalization of their plots, not the grand arcs, except I feel that they did do a good job in ME and DAO.

Well, in theory, DA2's premise is one of those Bioware "here is an ambiguous situation, decide who is wrong or right" subplots. It's just underdeveloped and tied to a boring as hell "Hawke is a total badass who becomes a popular, ineffectual badass." story.

hateradio

To be honest I was disappointed that the plot of DA2 escalated at all. I was quite happy when it was the tale of a few people and their struggles, when all I could think was, woo, time for everything to get "epic".
But what were they struggling against though? After 10 years, you'd imagine that you would get to know these people intimately, yet you don't.

Well, in theory, DA2's premise is one of those Bioware "here is an ambiguous situation, decide who is wrong or right" subplots. It's just underdeveloped and tied to a boring as hell "Hawke is a total badass who becomes a popular, ineffectual badass." story.
It was an all-around failure of catastrophic proportions.

It's clear that when BW presents something as the focus, that they tend to ruin it straight away. :D

But what were they struggling against though? After 10 years, you'd imagine that you would get to know these people intimately, yet you don't.

I thought it was going to be the struggle to
survive in poverty and reclaim their family name without sacrificing their morality
but then BAM, second act,
they get their riches and their home back and it's time to play two great forces off each other
. Again. Yawn.

Massa

into starting a war?

I liked the idea of exploring what kind of effect mages have on society. Of course that went to hell in the end, but it also presented some very interesting situations in the game before that.

To be honest I was disappointed that the plot of DA2 escalated at all. I was quite happy when it was the tale of a few people and their struggles, when
the chantry blew up
all I could think was, woo, time for everything to get "epic".

Yep, 100% agree. This is a problem that affects most game stories too.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I liked the idea of exploring what kind of effect mages have on society. Of course that went to hell in the end, but it also presented some very interesting situations in the game before that.

Yep, 100% agree. This is a problem that affects most game stories too.

bioware is very good at fucking up interesting situations or doing the bare minimum.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
"what if your character died and then came back to life to work for terrorists"

its like working for the navy! Only more crazy people on board.

What if you died and came back to life through the power of science and what could this mean for concepts like mortality? How would you react? Fuck if I know, apparently shooting terminators in the eye is more interesting.

Fjordson

Pretty much all the character interactions are really well done. Though a lot of the ME2 squad ones are too brief.

It's mostly just the enemies that are horribly written. I mean... Kai Leng...
Yeah, Kai Leng was terrible. More than badly written, he wasn't written at all. I haven't delved into any of the extended fiction beyond the games, so I had absolutely no clue who he was. Supposed to be this incredibly tough opponent for my Shepard and his ultimate rival. Really, I was just sort of confused as to who the dude was. Showed up out of nowhere.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
"what if you were allowed to determine the most politically powerful individuals in the galaxy based on your own agenda"

Its like being a power tripping idiot that makes everyone else an idiot and whines when people actually demand things like proof and evidence rather than dreams and vague premonitions.

hateradio

"what if you were allowed to determine the most politically powerful individuals in the galaxy based on your own agenda"
What if there were a group of massive sentient robotics, and they had a plan to harvest organic life?

The parallels of BSG and ME are remarkable.

Most of the Mages (100%) were
Blood Mages
. I didn't find that particularly pleasing as a mage myself. Stupid society. :|

Its like being a power tripping idiot that makes everyone else an idiot and whines when people actually demand things like proof and evidence rather than dreams and vague premonitions.

"what if you encountered the last of a race of sentient psychic insects that once waged war against the galaxy."

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
"what if you encountered the last of a race of sentient psychic insects that once waged war against the galaxy."

You have a really interesting conversation about singing and than the next time you meet it results in meaningless numbers for a meaningless game mechanic that definitely wont affect the ending in any way. Also you never get one of the insects in your party cause that would be too cool.

If you kill her, you met her zombie robot sister instead. Still no party member.

You have a really interesting conversation about singing and than the next time you meet it results in meaningless numbers for a meaningless game mechanic that definitely wont affect the ending in any way. Also you never get one of the insects in your party cause that would be too cool.

If you kill her, you met her zombie robot sister instead. Still no party member.

"what if you met a completely unique form of robotic life that grew more intelligent in unison and governed and thought by consensus"

hateradio

What if you were a pilot and got stranded with your navigation system, who's actually now your new robo-girlfriend, and your Commander's current love interest?

quagmires0wh3.gif

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
"what if you met a completely unique form of robotic life that grew more intelligent in unison and governed and thought by consensus"

You'd establish that they, as a unique intelligence, want to find their own way in the galaxy without shortcuts offered by scary cthulhu machines that totally arent controlled by a kid stuck in a vent. Then they randomly change their mind and decide that despite living their whole existence as a consensus with an intelligence so vast its described as galactic in scope they suddenly want walled individuality cause humans are so awesome and clearly the best in every way and the writer totally didnt leave for Zenimax.

Victrix

*beard*
Not that this really matters given all the other issues but...

Didn't they say that multiplayer was explicitly not required to get the 'best' ("best") ending?

I did damn near everything I could in the game and still was only around 6k or so iirc... -50% for no multiplayer

Not that this really matters given all the other issues but...

Didn't they say that multiplayer was explicitly not required to get the 'best' ("best") ending?

I did damn near everything I could in the game and still was only around 6k or so iirc... -50% for no multiplayer

The ipad app technically isn't multiplayer.

Victrix

*beard*
"Shepard is hero. Go buy dlc." What could you possibly hate about that?

See I cleverly dodged those issues

I'd post a giant ass rant about the game, but I don't have the energy, and every other ME nerd on the internet has already done it for me.

Curiously I don't really have a gripe with the ending, almost all of my irritation is directed at the ME1->ME2 DLC transition, which just reached its absolute apex with 'YOU ARE A LEGEND BUY DLC' after the ending in ME3.

Well that and Jessica Chobot in my fucking ME game asking to get on my ship. What the christ.

I'll stop, floodgates in danger of breaking.

Clydefrog

I just beat the game! I can read this thread now!

after playing all three games back-to-back-to-back for the first time ever... ME1 > ME3 > ME2

Victrix

*beard*
Oh, I will say that pure Renegade in ME3 was basically a 30 hour dose of pure depression injected in my veins. Is the Paragon path worth replaying it for?

Some of that shit was harsh (but Renegade FemShep is still the RealShep)

Also ME3 is objectively a worse game without Mordin as a companion

Really every game is worse without Mordin as a companion

Oh, I will say that pure Renegade in ME3 was basically a 30 hour dose of pure depression injected in my veins. Is the Paragon path worth replaying it for?

Some of that shit was harsh (but Renegade FemShep is still the RealShep)

Also ME3 is objectively a worse game without Mordin as a companion

Really every game is worse without Mordin as a companion

Mordin's your favorite guy and you went full renegade? Yikes.

The paragon genophage cure route is a lot less depressing.

Rufus

-Infinitely descending Cerberus troops (AKA frozen in their "slowing descent" pose)
Got that in multi-player once. Annoying as fuck, as the trooper was somehow invulnerable for most of his non-decent.

Best one I had:
- Glyph flew by as I was having a conversation with Liara once and somehow the eye tracking got stuck on Glyph, so both Shep and Liara looked like they were desperately trying to avoid eye contact during the rest of the conversation.

So looking at the War Assets guide where you play pragmatic with hindsight, it really is impossible to get to 4000. Like even with faking the genophage cure and having Wrex dead and getting the Krogan and the Salarians to join...it only gives you a negligible boost over what they would give you normally if Thane or Kirahe saves the councilor. That is some straight up bullshit.

Not that it even matters in the end.

spekkeh

Banned
Yeah, Kai Leng was terrible. More than badly written, he wasn't written at all. I haven't delved into any of the extended fiction beyond the games, so I had absolutely no clue who he was. Supposed to be this incredibly tough opponent for my Shepard and his ultimate rival. Really, I was just sort of confused as to who the dude was. Showed up out of nowhere.
I disagree. I liked him quite a bit. He was this mysterious adversary (not your ultimate rival... Reapers>TIM>Kai Leng), and there was enough chatter when he showed up that indicated he was a wellknown assassin, and how awful it was that Cerberus had recruited him. That's more backstory than Boba Fett.

I disagree. I liked him quite a bit. He was this mysterious adversary (not your ultimate rival... Reapers>TIM>Kai Leng), and there was enough chatter when he showed up that indicated he was a wellknown assassin, and how awful it was that Cerberus had recruited him. That's more backstory than Boba Fett.

Doesn't help that he was a total pussy in battle in every way except having ridiculous amounts of shield to take down. Then an unstoppable killing machine in cutscenes.

Rufus

Kai-Leng turns out to be a total pushover every time you actually fought him.
He's useless without backup from either a gunship or hordes of Cerberus troops. He charges his shields out in the open. He almost got his ass handed to him by the terminally ill Thane*.

*Who was unfortunately turned into an idiot so he could die a dramatic hero's death. You don't jump towards someone who wields a sword. You just don't. Especially not after having the perfect opportunity to blow the fucker's brains out.
Whoever was responsible for that scene had no idea what they were doing.

Ambitious

After having seen that ending, looking through that whole tumblelog and reading that Google Docs document with all the contradictions and nonsense I overlooked, I'd really have preferred the ending I expected: the catalyst being just a small device crucial for the crucible and the crucible destroying all reapers with lots of explosions but no space magic.

Really unoriginal, but still better.

Replicant

Okay, you lost whatever cred you might have had. When you said you liked the ending, I thought "Meh, different strokes I suppose". But liking Kai Leng on top of the ending? What's next? You like Cho-bot?

Where was that chart again? Oh yeah:

tumblr_m1bq3kPCEW1rrkvreo1_500.png

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

I liked how the achievement for him was "defeat an old adversary' when he gets introduced halfway through the final game. Damn, sure was a great villian, that generic space ninja with shitty mechanics who has no real depth cause all his character is established in the books.

Wish I could kick him into a sarlacc pit

Allers was creepy. I mean, her face was creepy, her legs were creepy, and the voice acting made it like she was stoned all the way through the interviews (and seeing how everyone in the Normandy get wasted at one point or the other, it's not a far-fetched assumption).

Also, Kai Leng...this guy jumps out of nowhere, ok, that happens, we're not obligated to know everything about an enemy we encounter. But well, after Anderson and Miranda telling you he's a dangerous SOB, well, it would've been nice to actually have some informations given by them. His battles are also a pushover, as said before, he's quite useless without his shields and support ("COVER ME WHILE I RECHARGE" why you come fight here !). But well, I enjoyed seeing Shepard finishing him off.

Also given his design I nearly expected a Metal Gear popping out of nowhere on Thessia, ha ha.

Ambitious

I got:

In the Normandy dock on the Citadel, I was standing right next to these two female Marines, listening to their conversation, when that one Keeper walked by. I got stuck between the three of them, there was no way out so I had to reload.

And of course I had plenty of dialogue glitches like in the previous games, characters getting flipped 180° and trying to turn their head to look at you and so on.

About Kai Leng, what happens if you don't initiate the Renegade interrupt after the fight with him?

Zomba13

-Liara's spazzy computer monitors
-Shepard's exorcist head spinning
-Randomly hopping on tables and other elevated surfaces
-Occasionally getting stuck in the cockpit
-Missing Garrus in one conversation (It panned over to where he should be with the voice but no Garrus). Prothean VI being off screen in Cerb base.

That's about all I can remember. If we count multiplayer though:
-Random disconnects when buying packs forcing me to have to quit and go back to see what I got
-occasional 'you need an online pass to play' which scared the shit out of me a couple of times
- Vanguard glitching though the world resulting in things like this.
-One time a Geth enemy was invincible and kept jerking through the floor until he eventually fell through and died and we completed the wave.

spekkeh

Banned
Doesn't help that he was a total pussy in battle in every way except having ridiculous amounts of shield to take down. Then an unstoppable killing machine in cutscenes.

That's okay, Shepard is Space Jesus, of course no one's got shit on him. Besides, it was always three against one. Oh and I died two times in the last battle, which was pretty annoying considering you have to do the entire battle with its four waves over again. So all things considered he was more difficult than 99% of the game.

Replicant

Kai Leng is pathetic. The 1st time you face off with him, he ran away. The 2nd time, he had a jet fighter shooting at you. The 3rd time, he had a room full of Nemesis and Phantoms to attack you. I can guarantee you that the likelihood of you being killed by Nemesis or Phantom or one of those random bombs Cerberus lackeys throw at you is 10 x higher than the likelihood of you being killed by Kai Leng. He's that pathetic.

Kentpaul

When keepin it real goes wrong. Very, very wrong.
quarian scum, i decided to side with the geth because the quarian's were shooting at the ship i was on.

Top Bottom