• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Welp, it appears I may have guessed right about a possible July announcement, according to a recent Mike Gamble twitter post.

Put together the ‪#SDCC‬ roster today. Lot's of great stuff to talk about *and* show there.

Now, to wait til July.

My devil's advocate says it's more Multiplayer DLC hooks, lol.

Curious interview with Dorian Kieken (Bioware Development Director) on the Games Industry site :-

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2012-06-07-bioware-we-havent-had-a-breakthrough-success

The curious bit is the "alters the ending" part. It has been stated by Bioware that the Extended Crap erm Cut will not alter the ending just clarify it. So this could be a case of a journalist paraphrasing wrongly again or Bioware are actually thinking of changing the ending.

I hope not, else I'd lose more respect for Bioware than I already have. They couldn't fix the massive plot holes? Shit ending or not, that's the ending. Fans shouldn't dictate how a game should end or needs to be altered. They're the story tellers. Bad story tellers, but story tellers.

Reece

I hope not, else I'd lose more respect for Bioware than I already have. They couldn't fix the massive plot holes? Shit ending or not, that's the ending. Fans shouldn't dictate how a game should end or needs to be altered. They're the story tellers. Bad story tellers, but story tellers.

So are you saying attempting to better yourself or your creations is inherently wrong?

So are you saying attempting to better yourself or your creations is inherently wrong?

I'm saying have some balls and stand by your work, shit or not shit. If that was their direction, then that was their direction. I'd rather they clarify the existing ending and improve it through a better narrative than change it.

And that petition and cupcakes from angry gamers says otherwise.

DTKT

I'm saying have some balls and stand by your work, shit or not shit. If that was their direction, then that was their direction. I'd rather they clarify the existing ending and improve it through a better narrative than change it.

But your still changing it when you "clarify" and "improve". That's such a cop out argument. When you do something terrible, you can stand behind it in denial "LALALALA IT'S AMAZING", or you get back to the drawing board and you try to better.

If Bioware had any "balls" and respect left for their own legacy, they would make something coherent.

Reece

I think it takes more balls to admit you made a mistake and fix it. This whole bravado about direction is misguided anyway, there's no way to know if they themselves were even happy with the ending because no matter what they can't say they weren't for PR reasons. In my opinion sticking with your shitty work is the worst thing anyone could do. Imagine if a president made a terrible choice and decided to stick with it for 4 years because "well I made that choice once and now I've gotta have some balls and stick with it or I'll look weak." It's just dumb bravado and it gets everyone nowhere. Actually it's likely that it could have long term negative effects on Bioware if they don't, so it's in their best interest to but they know that to truly fix it would cost tens of millions in production and so they stick with the "artistic integrity" position.

They're the story tellers. Bad story tellers, but story tellers.

I admit I'm LTTP on this one, but as far as I've read that ending is anything but "they". That ending is the brainchild of Casey Hudson, and wasn't vetted against any other input in any meaningful way.

(I've also read that forum post was "debunked", but then I read the debunking was simply a BioWare denial--what else would you expect of them? I've read a number of things that point to that writer's forum post as being true. No idea what the final "consensus" was, but it comes across as very genuine.)

Seems like Lucas syndrome to me--mistaking commercial success with creative genius. The more creative control Lucas exercised over the Star Wars saga, the shittier it became. I don't know anything about Casey Hudson, but if he indeed wrote the ending and it was not subject to the exact same scrutiny that the rest of the game was then you have your answer right there. And that's a failure of BioWare's to let that happen.

90% of that game is tight. Perhaps even more. I enjoyed it far more than I thought I would. The ending simply doesn't fit--it doesn't feel like the same people worked on it AT ALL.

So no--they're not the storytellers here. At least it seems the ending was anything but a collaborative effort. It is an abomination and should never have gotten past a second draft intact.

BioWare needs to man up, admit their creative genius might have swung and missed, and listen to their staff. I refuse to believe the internal team is happy with the way ME wrapped up. You'd have to be some kind of cool-aid drinking fanboy to choke that shit down and smile.

The internet has already written them out of this deep, dark hole. I suggest they embrace the IT and move forward.

rozay

Banned
The forum post was "debunked" by the community manager who also told forum goers that the Kasumi wasn't a character in ME2 and a listing for the prothean DLC on origin back in June 2011 was a typo, amongst other similar statements

It was Patrick Weekes's account, that is a fact.

You don't seem to fathom that any change to a video is already an alteration.

"Extended ending" or "director's cut" means altering the product, but in this particular case specifically the ending.

This isn't a rocket science concept.

"Extended ending" or "director's cut" means altering the product, but in this particular case specifically the ending.

Amen. And besides, how many times have you watched a "director's cut" and preferred the original ending? For me, most director's cut's end up being a disappointment--and I'll tell you why.

Sometimes director's are forced to alter their ending because of time constraints, or studio pressure after test screenings. In these cases, director's cuts can be good, restoring an original vision that would have fit the story better but was altered for a non-artistic reason, but I find them to be in the minority.

In many cases during the edit it can turn out that the director's original ending simply doesn't work with the story. Either the editor or the producer will make changes to better suit the movie as a whole. If the director isn't an ego-maniac and is on good terms with his editor, he'll be wise and listen to their input. This is when you get the best end product.

In the case of Mass Effect 3 we already got the director's cut and it sucked--BECAUSE it was the director's cut. He was too close to the product, and too cock-sure of his creative genius. If you've ever watched the Phantom Edit you'll recall the scene where the editor is trying to explain to Lucas how the pacing is all fucked up and needs fixing. It's a gentle push, but Lucas won't hear of it because he's a fucking genius. That scene made it into the special features because of an editor--and I'm sure it was a silent form of protest, screaming "We tried!! OMG I'm so sorry, we tried!!!"

So screw the director's cut--we've already got that. I want the real product--the one not dripping with hubris.

Gazzawa

Can't wait till it drops. If it's good then good. But if it's bad I can't wait to see the backlash. Such parody gold we've seen.

I have no problem with that. My issue is with potential fan input directing the ending to smooth things over. That's not story telling, that's pandering. I'm not against extending the ending and it does seem like Bioware knows they fucked up with ending and possibly weren't happy with it. There's a ton of shit to fix. If they want to further elaborate on the ending, put in things they weren't able to because of time constraints, etc. then that's cool.

And no, this game isn't a directors cut at all. If anything, it needs a directors cut to put back in all the stuff they took out like the final battle featuring Jacob and Jack and the fucking Prothean.

I have no problem with that. My issue is with potential fan input directing the ending to smooth things over. That's not story telling, that's pandering.

It all depends on what input they'd be listening to. "Deliver on your promises" isn't an unreasonable request. Full-fulling that request wouldn't be pandering.

I don't think anyone's asking for a re-write happy ending here (and if they are--I'm in agreement--ignore them); most people want an ending that makes sense and doesn't destroy the story that came before it. They want an ending that is given as much creative scrutiny as the rest of the series.

The forum post was "debunked" by the community manager who also told forum goers that the Kasumi wasn't a character in ME2 and a listing for the prothean DLC on origin back in June 2011 was a typo, amongst other similar statements..

And yet some people still maintain it was "debunked"? Absolutely astounding. Have none of these people personally worked for a company that has had to do damage control? Spin a message?

Is my PS3 broken? It takes FOREVER for the game to load after you hit start. It does its loading/communicating, checking save data and then it hangs on contacting EA servers. I thought it might just be my network but even the check save data is taking a minute or more.

rozay

Banned
It all depends on what input they'd be listening to. "Deliver on your promises" isn't an unreasonable request. Full-fulling that request wouldn't be pandering.

I don't think anyone's asking for a re-write happy ending here (and if they are--I'm in agreement--ignore them); most people want an ending that makes sense and doesn't destroy the story that came before it. They want an ending that is given as much creative scrutiny as the rest of the series.
the worrying thing is that some of the statements from PAX indicated that we would be getting a much happier ending than the original (rebuilding the relays, friends didn't die etc) we will just have to wait and see :(

TheChaos

For those of you interested, I found a list of plot points from the leaked beta script that were altered or removed completely in the game. Original post from: http://social.bioware.com/forum/Mas...ME3-that-were-cut-or-modified-12336528-1.html

Some spoilers...
I have compiled this list for myself, to compare what the first ME3 ideas were compared to what ME3 is now... The comparison is rather interesting. Here goes the list:

( EDIT, now that I wrote it down, it's huge as hell. I'll highlight important parts)

- TIM, at fist was supposed to be allied with the Reapers and want the Prothean archives on Mars in case the deal goes wrong.

- You were supposed to fight Dr. Eva yourself after she hurts A/K, while she commands waves of Cerberus troops.

- The Hammerhead was supposed to be in the game. You'd have used it to battle the Rannoch Reaper, you'd also go against it on foot, and get on top of it for the deadly blow.

- There should've been a mission on Rannoch, in which you take down a planetary defense gun of the Geth, situated in the Quarian equivalent of Rome or Jerusalem.

- The Geth consensus should've looked like an idealized Rannoch. You could have interacted with the Geth who'd have had faces. Later, Legion was supposed to download all those Geth into his platform, to save them.

- Prothy the Prothean was supposed to be non-DLC, and he was supposed to be the CATALYST. While on Eden Prime, you would have worked with a fellow SPECTRE ( A/K's partner), who would have tried to kill Prothy, forcing you to kill him.

- There was supposed to be more alive Krogan Females, but Cerberus would kill them in the Sur'kesh raid, leaving you with less.

- Mordin should have developed his cure in a lab on Tuchanka. Reapers attack Tuchanka out of fear, and you are forced to go to a female city, which has kept safe some of Tuchanka's culture. You then must take the females with a subway through thresher maw territory, and see some of Tuchanka's culture, while Wrex deals with the Reapers. The lab is actually connected to the Shroud ( which I believe should have been in orbit?). You are left with just one female, Mordin makes the cure, you lure the Mother of All Thresher Maws at the Reaper and the rest goes as in the game. ( I personally believe, that whilst the Tuchanka Mission isn't bad either, some elements of this one should have been in the game).

- You should have saved the Primarch's son from Tuchanka; the Primarch would have asked you to KILL him! ( because he's an embaressement) - leaving Shep in a very tense political situation. The Turian Bomb mission would have occured slightly different.

- VERY INTERESTING MOMENT: The Prothean NEEDS to get on Thessia to access a Prothean Beacon ( slightly different than " well, he could be there just like any other squadmate"). Whilst he transfers the info from the beacon to his brain, Kai Leng comes WITH A/K. Kai Leng told A/K Shep killed his Spectre partner, and they all stay in a Mexican stand-off. Shep must convince A/K that Kai Leng is a dirty bastard, or else Shep must kill her/him.

- During the Kai Leng battle, the temple should've have progressively crumbled, letting you see Thessia under fire, getting destroyed. Kai Leng wins ( as in the game) and takes the Prothean ( who's still freezed from the transfer).

- CITADEL COUP: Kolyat contacts Shep and tells him Udina plans on calling an emergency summit to vote on leaving the Hannar homeworld to the Reapers, to defend other planets. When you get there, Kasumi helps you get to C-Sec HQ to take info on Udina, but the info is being destroyed by a Cerberus double agent. Then you take Thane with you, to assassinate Udina. You secure a spot after a fight with Cerberus conspirators. When Udina tries to make his move, you are there to demask him. He then signals an army of Cerberus troops. You fight them, and in a climatic showdown, Thane takes out Udina. Thane dies.

-SANCTUARY was supposed to be a place from which TIM gives refugees to Reapers, not use them for his experiments.

- Jacob's girlfriend was originally called KENESIA. She were to be a prothean expert. She would have objected to leave the base until a scientist is killed. Then ( very nice) when you prepare for the battle ahead with Cerberus troops amassing in front of the station, you talk with Jacob and Kenesia about life, death, love, humanity etc.

- On the Citadel, TERRA FIRMA party would have launched Cerberus propaganda. EMILY WONG would have helped you clear the situation.

- OMEGA: MEGA NICE! ( too bad it wasn't in the game): the Cerberus attack on Omega should have been IN THE GAME. Cerberus attacks, Omega resists -> Cerberus blockades Omega. Shepard must go through the Omega 4 Relay, to an ancient ship and get some "pirate loot". Shep must also destroy the Cerberus commanding ship.

- ARIA wants Shep to retrieve a Cerberus tactician involved in the attack. He's bodyguard is ZAEED, who is determined to finish his contract, and you must convince him to let Shep do his job.

- Originally, Omega had a truce with Cerberus who wanted to pass the Relay to retrieve the Collector Base/'s remnants. Shep convinces her to side with him ( for the eezo), Cerberus attacks Omega as retaliation.

- Hannar religious extremists do terrorist attacks on the Citadel.

Sorry for the long list, what do you think?

Pretty cool stuff. Looks like Kai Leng was a lot more menacing, instead of the wussy ninja dude we got in the finished game.

rozay

Banned
- Hannar religious extremists do terrorist attacks on the Citadel.
hahahaha

and yeah, if you listen to the E3 demo of sur'kesh, when they're heading up the stairs towards where Kirrahe was in the final game, shepard's dialogue regarding Cerberus was "they're indoctrinated, they're capable of anything." Released version took out the "they're indoctrinated" bit. Overall it sounds like their initial game plans (and even the paired down version) was just too ambitious to complete in a 2 year period

I think it would've been kinda lame to have Javik be a central part of the plot introduced in ME3 though (not that what we got wasn't lame as well)

Joe Molotov

- CITADEL COUP: Kolyat contacts Shep and tells him Udina plans on calling an emergency summit to vote on leaving the Hannar homeworld to the Reapers, to defend other planets. When you get there, Kasumi helps you get to C-Sec HQ to take info on Udina, but the info is being destroyed by a Cerberus double agent. Then you take Thane with you, to assassinate Udina. You secure a spot after a fight with Cerberus conspirators. When Udina tries to make his move, you are there to demask him. He then signals an army of Cerberus troops. You fight them, and in a climatic showdown, Thane takes out Udina. Thane dies.

Would have been nice.

- Prothy the Prothean was supposed to be non-DLC, and he was supposed to be the CATALYST. While on Eden Prime, you would have worked with a fellow SPECTRE ( A/K's partner), who would have tried to kill Prothy, forcing you to kill him.

- You should have saved the Primarch's son from Tuchanka; the Primarch would have asked you to KILL him! ( because he's an embaressement) - leaving Shep in a very tense political situation. The Turian Bomb mission would have occured slightly different.

- VERY INTERESTING MOMENT: The Prothean NEEDS to get on Thessia to access a Prothean Beacon ( slightly different than " well, he could be there just like any other squadmate"). Whilst he transfers the info from the beacon to his brain, Kai Leng comes WITH A/K. Kai Leng told A/K Shep killed his Spectre partner, and they all stay in a Mexican stand-off. Shep must convince A/K that Kai Leng is a dirty bastard, or else Shep must kill her/him.

- During the Kai Leng battle, the temple should've have progressively crumbled, letting you see Thessia under fire, getting destroyed. Kai Leng wins ( as in the game) and takes the Prothean ( who's still freezed from the transfer).

- On the Citadel, TERRA FIRMA party would have launched Cerberus propaganda. EMILY WONG would have helped you clear the situation.

I definitely remember reading these in the leaked script (especially killing the Primarch's son and Thane killing Udina) and being very disappointed when they weren't in the final game.

Inspired by the E3 gif thread

dolanme3.jpg

Farooq

Banned
I wonder if Microsoft was publishing the ME sequels instead of EA, would Bioware have enough time to get most of what they wanted into this game?

ME3 just feels so rushed. I would have loved to have all of those missing elements in the game, it would actually feel complete.

So Omega DLC is pretty much guaranteed at this point?

I wouldn't say it is "guaranteed" at this point. The first hurdle Bioware have to overcome is the extreme lack of interest they created in their singleplayer game. I imagine they will be looking very closely at the reaction and numbers (downloads) of the EC to determine whether it is worth making any more single player DLC. After all if you are putting "free" DLC out there and no one is bothering with it then they are hardly likely to leap at the chance of snapping up paid DLC.

I wouldn't say it is "guaranteed" at this point. The first hurdle Bioware have to overcome is the extreme lack of interest they created in their singleplayer game. I imagine they will be looking very closely at the reaction and numbers (downloads) of the EC to determine whether it is worth making any more single player DLC. After all if you are putting "free" DLC out there and no one is bothering with it then they are hardly likely to leap at the chance of snapping up paid DLC.

Bioware fans will still probably buy it regardless. They'll find a way to sell their DLC either way, even if it means messing with the ending more. After Omega, I'm expecting some after-story DLC like fighting your way through the mysterious jungle or taking on rouge Cerberus agents.

Reece

Bioware fans will still probably buy it regardless. They'll find a way to sell their DLC either way, even if it means messing with the ending more. After Omega, I'm expecting some after-story DLC like fighting your way through the mysterious jungle or taking on rouge Cerberus agents.

I bet if they release the Omega DLC it'll be the last single player content of ME3 and they'll only release it because it's already been worked on. Bioware/EA wants to wipe their hands clean of this thing as soon as humanely possible and move on to something else that'll hopefully garner them goodwill/sales. It's what I would do if I colossally fucked something up this badly.

I definitely remember reading these in the leaked script (especially killing the Primarch's son and Thane killing Udina) and being very disappointed when they weren't in the final game.

what about the 'dream' thing, was that actually in there or did someone just make that up?
(never read the first leak myself. The second already has the 'new' ending)

Because honestly, I can't see any other reason why those 'kid burning dreams' are even in the game. With the new ending they don't make any sense.

The only people left they'll be able to sell single player content to is Talimancers. Everyone else has enough of a grounding in reality to realize this franchise is ruined.

I am slowly realizing this is not going to get better, and that anything they do from this point onward is just going to make things worse. I feel like I need to kill my love of Mass Effect to move on.

You know in I Am Legend when he's holding his dog?
When it becomes increasingly clear that his dog has become a zombie and no matter what he does his dog is gone for good? The tears he sheds as he slowly chokes the life out of the abomination his dog has become?
That's where I'm at. Slowly. Choking.

And crying.

Spoiler Link for I am Legend/farewell to Mass Effect.

Just finished the game, apparently got the "worst" ending. Yeah, pretty lackluster. While the game is good it felt like a disappointment considering the first two games. Where did the exploration go? It's a corridor tps.. there's the Citadel and then there's "dungeons". Meh..

Pakkidis

I just completed the game only 30 minutes ago.

For me, I tend not to over analyze video game stories and simply enjoy them for what they are. What I love about ME universe is how fleshed out it is. Everything seems to have a history and back story, the races are interesting and the conflicts and politics that go along with it is excellent.

The only thing I knew going into this game was the ending was garbage but I somewhat enjoyed it to a degree. It was very deus ex like and I think that is a problem. The notion that at the very end of the game your given 3 very arbitrary choices that for the most part play out the exact same way is shitty. I think the reason most people are pissed off is the ending did very little to show the resolution of other races and for a game that goes into such detail about each one seems kinda off.

I would like to see how my "choices" from the other games effect the story but something tells me it makes little difference. I am willing to give Bioware a break though on this issue, given the scope and ambition of the game it would be next to impossible to have every choice have a meaningful impact on the gameplay and story. From what I could gather, most of the choices made from the first 2 games result in different lines of dialogue from NPC. Very disappointing but understandable. I quickly realized this generation that as costs increase, games become more streamlined where "choices" made by players are scripted in the long run.

The real 'RPG' comes from the type of character you play as. I played as a vanguard, charging enemies with a shotgun is satisfying. I'm thinking another play through will be infiltrator.

Overall I feel they did a good job wrapping up the stories of your companions. I thought they handled Mordin the best along with Wrex. I thought the death of Legion to be pretty stupid and unnecessary. I was also unhappy with how Thane died.

I enjoyed the overall experience.

Gui_PT

I would like to see how my "choices" from the other games effect the story but something tells me it makes little difference. I am willing to give Bioware a break though on this issue, given the scope and ambition of the game it would be next to impossible to have every choice have a meaningful impact on the gameplay and story. From what I could gather, most of the choices made from the first 2 games result in different lines of dialogue from NPC. Very disappointing but understandable. I quickly realized this generation that as costs increase, games become more streamlined where "choices" made by players are scripted in the long run.

The developed this game in half the time they needed to develop the other games. It was rushed. Had it not been rushed, they could've made sure your choices affected the game =\

Complistic

I just completed the game only 30 minutes ago.

Overall I feel they did a good job wrapping up the stories of your companions.

I would have agreed with this until they decided to leave all your companions for dead on a random planet for literally no reason at all.

televator

I get to thinking about the way "the internet" forms a consensus on things...

Ask the internet what the greatest game of all time was and you'll get OoT as a general common answer.

Ten years from now, ask the internet what the worst ending of all time was in a game... How does Bioware want that to play out? That DLC better change lives.

I get to thinking about the way "the internet" forms a consensus on things...

Ask the internet what the greatest game of all time was and you'll get OoT as a general common answer.

Ten years from now, ask the internet what the worst ending of all time was in a game... How does Bioware want that to play out? That DLC better change lives.

For a very long time I think Monkey Island 2 held the honor of worst received ending. This will EASILY eclipse that...I can't think of anything stinkier...

Tzeentch

Remember the rage at the Halo 2 cliffhanger ending? I STILL have a grudge against Bungie for that. The Mass Effect 3 ending ... it made me cancel my Old Republic subscription and I can't get motivated to finish my Insanity run even skipping all the cutscenes. I own ALL the DLC for ME1 and 2. Not getting anything for ME3 (I watched the Javik stuff on Youtube).

The ending DLC is weird. I have no idea what Bioware is even thinking here unless they had no chance of monetizing the expansions without doing something (which means their data showed a FAR more negative response then their PR puff indicates). And yet the ending writers still have jobs ... maybe they have incriminating photos of the Drs?

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
This! Seriously, this. Can any other game compare? It's baffling why they let this happen. Why did they go the route they did? Why did the writers ever believe this was a good idea? They destroyed what was otherwise considered one of the best sci-fi games ever made and it's like they don't give a flying fuck. It took a massive amount of outrage and pages like that "demand a better ending" and fundraisers to finally decide on doing an ending DLC to clear things up and they (they being Bioware) just scratch their heads like they don't know why people hated the ending. They're seriously that disconnected? It's like attending a high society party, shitting your pants and wondering why everyone is looking at you.

That ending isn't going to do anything. It's going to be an unsatisfactory extended cut and nothing more. It'll probably just explain why Joker ran through a relay and that's about it. Honestly, this series may just be dead at this point.

On that note, someone mentioned Monkey Island 2 having a horrible ending. I think Ultima IX may be almost comparable to this, but ME wins for worst ending. Sad thing is both are by the same publishers. "EA Games, we're into crappy endings."

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Dearest NeoGAF,

Hugs are back! After a long period of low supplies we are proud to announce that hugs are finally back and better than ever.

New Extended Cut Hugs. Enjoy the feeling of another human's -- or your favorite alien race's, see below -- touch. These extended hugs last up to 30 seconds more! - $5.99

New Alien Companion Hugs, for the fan who really needs a htug. - $14.99

Buy them at http://bioware.com/me3-extended-hugs!

Dearest NeoGAF,

Hugs are back! After a long period of low supplies we are proud to announce that hugs are finally back and better than ever.

New Extended Cut Hugs. Enjoy the feeling of another human's -- or your favorite alien race's, see below -- touch. These extended hugs last up to 30 seconds more! - $5.99

New Alien Companion Hugs, for the fan who really needs a htug. - $14.99

Buy them at http://bioware.com/me3-extended-hugs!
Here's a free sample

ijCMbBhKTXxnm.png

Top Bottom