• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I was just in the Prometheus thread and the word speculation was used.

I think I had a relapse or something. I felt like that PTSD cupcake dog. :(

spekkeh

Banned
So it's just going to be a few epilogue cutscenes after you died to see what your old shipmates have been up to then. That's actually the one part where I was okay with Bioware leaving it up to the imagination of the player. It's the main conceit with the crucible and the three options that was poorly handled and should've been retconned.

So it's just going to be a few epilogue cutscenes after you died to see what your old shipmates have been up to then. That's actually the one part where I was okay with Bioware leaving it up to the imagination of the player. It's the main conceit with the crucible and the three options that was poorly handled and should've been retconned.

Artistic Integrity™

Rapstah

What the hell, is this what you have been saying all along? Why did everyone argue for like 100 pages?

spekkeh

Banned
What the hell, is this what you have been saying all along? Why did everyone argue for like 100 pages?

1458_i_dunno_lol.jpg

It was mostly a semantic discussion between whether it was mediocre or afwul.

Pakkidis

Question: What exactly does the war assets affect? Does it really change anything if you have it high or low going into the final battle?

If it doesn't really change anything why even include it in the first place?

Gui_PT

Question: What exactly does the war assets affect? Does it really change anything if you have it high or low going into the final battle?

If it doesn't really change anything why even include it in the first place?

If you don't have it high enough, earth will be completely destroyed when you fire the crucible, millions die blah blah blah

And if you have it high enough you get an extra 10 second clip of Shepard if you choose Destroy

But that would create huge problems for new players. How are they to feel any sense of progress during the game that isn't an arbitrary tour of duty across the galaxy?

And of course, the fact the whole game is literally designed around the Citadel, and that would been the natural endpoint for the game. I mean: Earth is lost. The whole "take back Earth" doesn't make any sense. It's been destroyed, the game even points that out to you in the Codex, there is nothing to "take back". Why not "take back Thessia"? Who gives a shit about some backwater planet in the Sol system?

So many conversations in the game are sooo damn weird. Like: HELP US OR I WON'T SAVE YOU. And than the other races happily accept this???
Fuck you, alien cunt who also happens to have worked for a galaxy wide fascist terrorist group who is currently waging a galaxy wide war on everyone. I mean.... come on. "weird" is a severe understatement here.

The Crucible, by contrast, is just a minor problem to the problem with the ENTIRE premise of the game.

Imo. (Smudboy also started with the premise btw)

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
You know who's character arc completed in a fashion truly befitting the new BioWare?

Morinth.

*golf clap*

I hated the way they treated Morinth in ME3. Why couldn't she show up in the same mission as Samara? I'm sure they could have made something that make sense since its her sisters. Instead she is some easily missable Banshee on Earth. If i replay ME2 in the future, i know i'm never going to choose her again after seeing that.

XPE

I heard how bad the ending was but nothing really prepared me for it, how on earth did anyone think that was a good idea!

Overall ME3 was a massive improvement of the 2nd game.

Gazzawa

I hated the way they treated Morinth in ME3. Why couldn't she show up in the same mission as Samara? I'm sure they could have made something that make sense since its her sisters. Instead she is some easily missable Banshee on Earth. If i replay ME2 in the future, i know i'm never going to choose her again after seeing that.

dem emailz.
and the worst cameo/easter egg i've ever seen

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?

Gui_PT

Came across these.... Interesting stuff. It talks about "Beings of Light" who were around since the dawn of time to protect organic life from "machine devils". And this was an official description on one of the planets in ME and ME3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ascb79jqfo&feature=g-vrec

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Klencory

Edit: The YouTube video really reveals a lot of interesting stuff. Along with that Tweet from Bioware, this makes it really interesting.

Sounds equally as bad.

Kill all organics every 50 000 years so the machine devils won't attack.

That goes against everything that has been said during ME3, especially what the kid says at the end of the game

Darkmakaimura

Sounds equally as bad.

Kill all organics every 50 000 years so the machine devils won't attack.

That goes against everything that has been said during ME3, especially what the kid says at the end of the game
Maybe the Reapers are not killing people, but absorbing them. Their consciousness and their DNA, thus they see it as preserving life. Yeah, it's kind of stupid but that's pretty much what they believe.

Also, Space Ghost Kid could be one of those beings of light and not a hologram or hallucination. Kind of Trekish, but with the official description of that planet and that Tweet, it makes sense.

televator

I can see the connection to the being of light described on that planet. It was put there on purpose after all, but I don't see if that really gets us to everything else the video suggests.

Although I do find it interesting that the being of light on the planet leads one group of people to defend against the "machine devils" as this seems to directly contradict the actions of the "being of light" on the citadel who leads an army of machines befitting of the the description "machine devils".

Lastly this combined the "other realm" mentioned by sovereign...I hope it's not true. If BW were to go anywhere with this, it would appear that there's some sort of meta reality out there that's completely detached from what we presumed was a sci-fi story.

Sure, Star Trek had the Q (which they purposefully under utilized), but how is this supposed to work in a game?

Darkmakaimura

Beings of light warning of machine devils are the fucking prothean VIs.
Were there any Prothean VIs on Klencory? Also, it doesn't say "warning", it mentions "protecting" and that they were created at the "dawn of time". There's also the Tweet by Jessica Merizan here. Hey, maybe it really is just referring to the Prothean VIs, but it's possible it really is something else.

Rufus

It feel like it always was a grief counseling thread. But I only hopped on shortly before the first one ended, so I missed whatever initial discussion were had.

Came across these.... Interesting stuff. It talks about "Beings of Light" who were around since the dawn of time to protect organic life from "machine devils". And this was an official description on one of the planets in ME and ME3.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Ascb79jqfo&feature=g-vrec

http://masseffect.wikia.com/wiki/Klencory

Edit: The YouTube video really reveals a lot of interesting stuff. Along with that Tweet from Bioware, this makes it really interesting.

It brings up some interesting bits from the game, but a lot of stuff it suggests like enemies beyond the Reapers and control being a trick is dumb. It's grasping at straws, seeing things that aren't really there, and taking things way out of context just like the IT.

What it does suggest is that the current ending may been planned earlier during ME1 and ME2, but it also brings up evidence that Bioware were still undecided during ME2 because pieces of the Dark Energy storyline are in there beyond the Quarian ship part, specifically the part where humans are mentioned genetically superior by the Reaper. The game really does feel like it wants to end at ME3, but giving how pushy EA is, I can see Bioware spinning this kind of crap into a sequel.

Beings of light warning of machine devils are the fucking prothean VIs.

this. go with Occam's razor. much like how rushed development and hubris are more likely explanations for the terrible ending. Unfortunately it seems the IT is probably grasping at straws that might be there--but unintended.

In the end I could accept the IT version of the ending but I'd know that BioWare worked it in after the fact when the community wrote them out of their hole. This beings of light thing? Two codec entries across three games and a tweet from PR? And you have to willingly ignore the most likely explanation? (prothean)

god help us all if BioWare retcons in "beings of light" to set up a new trilogy. Who am I kidding? Now they've got their multiplayer/money faucet.

Single player is dead. Where is the art is charging someone once for one product? No no, the artistic vision calls for quarterly map packs, yes it does. BioWare are mere conduits for art to pour out of.

TheChaos

Interview with Kimberly Brooks, the VA of Ashley Williams talking about the EC. Basically says that the EC won't change anything around regarding the ending, just add a few extra scenes and whatnot. So watch your expectations, y'all. Also, here's a choice quote:

- What did you think about the ending?
“Well, like I said I don’t really play the games as much as I should. And the thing is, up until then I just got cocky, everyone loved the game, everyone either loved or hated Ash, and then the third game came out… The response was not good. Maybe it was too much of a realistic ending? It’s like the Sopranos, Six Feet Under… you know the main character is going to die.”

..Really? Did you just compare the ending of Mass Effect 3 to Six Feet Under? That's pretty insulting to SFU. Anyways, link is here: http://sticktwiddlers.com/2012/06/1...he-voice-behind-mass-effects-ashley-williams/

Btw, was the Gravemind Audrey 2 ever explained?

Could've been worse, it originally had skulls for teeth.

Halo 2's cliffhanger ending worked. Sure, it wasn't what Bungie had intended, and it definitely could've gone on a bit longer... But it worked better than ME3's ending did.

Joe Molotov

I spend all day at work dealing with ethereal star children forcing me to make poorly conceived choices about how to save universe, I DON'T NEED THAT LEVEL OF REALISM IS MY VIDEOGAMES TOO!

I went into the blue (left side) and didn't even realize what I was selecting, didn't even realize I could go straight into the beam. What was the difference between the 3?

I went into the blue (left side) and didn't even realize what I was selecting, didn't even realize I could go straight into the beam. What was the difference between the 3?

The color.
Basically. Just watch the youtube endings.

Had to make Shepard seem more like Jesus.
But Marauder Shields died for our sins

And how the fuck could how get a prothean squad mate? How did I miss this?

It's paid DLC. He was originally going to be in the game, too.

Don't be too hard on the voice actress. I suspect she's well out of her element. Remember, the people who pay her probably summed it up like "everyone wanted hugs and rainbows--real life isn't like that, you know?"

She's probably parroting what she's heard.

Top Bottom