• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

Fucking joker lives and is the new Adam, wow, just wow. I still don't get how everything but the Normandy could escape
And here's the Eve

2148761-2145413-1331231487295_super.jpg

Check out that childbearing robo-vag

A new interview with Kimberly Brooks (Ashley's VO) basically confirms what Bioware is doing for the EC :-

Kimberly Brooks said:
The sessions I’ve had so far have been really simple, and Bioware’s not changing the ending, but it’s explaining and justifying it more.

http://sticktwiddlers.com/2012/06/12/kimberly-brooks-interview-the-voice-behind-mass-effects-ashley-williams/

I did laugh at this though :-

Kimberly Brooks said:
The response was not good. Maybe it was too much of a realistic ending?
Yeah green space magic making Jokers baseball cap become sentient and partially organic/synthetic hey it happens all the time round where I live :p I have to be honest though my interest in the EC has increased. I can now say I cannot wait for the EC the reaction to it is going to be like a stream of brown excrement over anywhere and everywhere.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
It's sad how the series went from this to this...

You should probably compare ME1 ending to the ME3 one for a fair comparison.

But even then, ME1 ending is still miles better. I just beat it 5 mins ago. Still soo good with the soundtracks and epic cutscenes. I'd love to play a remake of it someday, same soundtrack, same story, just with better graphics and gameplay.

Little chances i know. :(

Another thing I don't get, your team members live because they show up on the Normandy, but my squadmates were on the ground dead while I was walking towards the beam

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
In all honesty, after this fiasco, you think we'll even see another full console/pc Mass Effect game in the next few years or do you think Bioware just killed it for everyone?

Bisnic

In all honesty, after this fiasco, you think we'll even see another full console/pc Mass Effect game in the next few years or do you think Bioware just killed it for everyone?

Unless they completely screw up the ending DLC to make things even worse to the point of creating more shitstorms, i dont see them giving up on Mass Effect.

They will just be extremely careful now with interviews and endings though. :lol

Karl2177

But even then, ME1 ending is still miles better. I just beat it 5 mins ago. Still soo good with the soundtracks and epic cutscenes. I'd love to play a remake of it someday, same soundtrack, same story, just with better graphics and gameplay.

IMO, that conversation with Vigil or the conversation with Sovereign are the highest point(s) in the series. The ending of ME3 is the absolute bottom. That's why I chose that particular scene.

Rapstah

Another thing I don't get, your team members live because they show up on the Normandy, but my squadmates were on the ground dead while I was walking towards the beam

The game is supposed to de-prioritise dead characters and EDI if Destroy was chosen, but also tries to prioritise romanced characters and Javik in a way that sometimes makes dead characters walk out of the Normandy in the end. Only the two characters you had with you could die near the beam though.

If the game runs out of characters to walk out it'll pick Traynor as one of them, but I don't think it's possible to kill enough of them that there won't be a second one for the game to pick.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The game is supposed to de-prioritise dead characters and EDI if Destroy was chosen, but also tries to prioritise romanced characters and Javik in a way that sometimes makes dead characters walk out of the Normandy in the end. Only the two characters you had with you could die near the beam though.

If the game runs out of characters to walk out it'll pick Traynor as one of them, but I don't think it's possible to kill enough of them that there won't be a second one for the game to pick.
Isn't there a cutscene where no one walks out though? Or is that only if your readiness score is abysmal?

bioware fucked up the ending big time after so much awesome from the series they must have known about this and the backlash they would get, there is no way they could overlook so much stuff and not plan ahead.

It's so upsetting, a bit like terminator 3 after watching the first 2 and being super hyped.

Having the main character die is just a cheap way of getting emotion. Shepard doesn't need to die... again.

Couldn't help wanting to re-iterate this after reading it. I honestly believed the whole "hero sacrificing himself" thing was completely off the table once they already had him die once and be brought back.

I just love creative fiction. That is: EA making another ME and anyone giving a fuck. Haha, that'll happen.

(allthough I can picture a scenario where you start on an 'advanced' planet, uncover some plot featuring machine-hybrid overlord -Titans, whatever- and basically spend some time going on this world and eventually offworld to be transported to a place where these things are building the 'now' equivalent of mass relays.

You uncover their origins and reaper tech (maybe even Harbinger back from the dead, now free to do whatever it is a free reaper does, right?), which is of course the Quarians. Whether the Geth have a role in this is irrelevant: the Quarians would rebuild them in a day anyway. Wiping them out means NOTHING.

That's the thing about this ending: now the whole universe has to follow these alternate rules, because if they don't, then genocidal casper - F-ING GOOOOOOOD, did I overdo it?- was (is?) wrong about fucking everything.)

Note that their galaxy neatly dissapears from the map at the end, yet no reaper invasion. Sequel bait, right there.

It could work, but they shouldn't call it ME4 or even ME for that matter. You would simply have to learn during the game(s?) that this is ME reborn. Shepard might even turn up as a villain at some point (who else?), but ghost child stays out.

But the ME franchise and name is dead. Really dead.

Bisnic

I just love creative fiction. That is: EA making another ME and anyone giving a fuck. Haha, that'll happen.

(allthough I can picture a scenario where you start on an 'advanced' planet, uncover some plot featuring machine-hybrid overlord -Titans, whatever- and basically spend some time going on this world and eventually offworld to be transported to a place where these things are building the 'now' equivalent of mass relays.

You uncover their origins and reaper tech (maybe even Harbinger back from the dead, now free to do whatever it is a free reaper does, right?), which is of course the Quarians. Whether the Geth have a role in this is irrelevant: the Quarians would rebuild them in a day anyway. Wiping them out means NOTHING.

That's the thing about this ending: now the whole universe has to follow these alternate rules, because if they don't, then genocidal casper - F-ING GOOOOOOOD, did I overdo it?- was (is?) wrong about fucking everything.)

Note that their galaxy neatly dissapears from the map at the end, yet no reaper invasion. Sequel bait, right there.

It could work, but they shouldn't call it ME4 or even ME for that matter. You would simply have to learn during the game(s?) that this is ME reborn. Shepard might even turn up as a villain at some point (who else?), but ghost child stays out.

But the ME franchise and name is dead. Really dead.

You really believe they will give up on Mass Effect because of a disappointing ending? Ha. I think them bothering to put it on Wii U is proof enough they won't abandon it so easily.

Sure, most of the players were disappointed in the ending, but only few of them went as far as to say "I cannot enjoy any Mass Effect games anymore because of this. I JUST CANT. ;_;" If anything, maybe there will be more players than usual who will wait a couple of weeks before buying the next ME game, just to see if its going to have something as bad as this.

It's been done. Played the PC version at 60FPS with HD textures, modded lighting, and 8x AA. Looked super nice.

Is it just me or do the environments in ME1 look a ton better than ME2? The scope is so much larger and even the textures look sharper minus the character models.

And Mass Effect is no where near dead. If anything, it's yet to reach its peak. The multiplayer mode is surprisingly popular, Bioware fans will gladly purchase the next game, and gamers will still buy their games regardless of an ending. The next trilogy with new multiplayer integration will most likely outsell the original easily.

Gui_PT

Mass Effect 3's UK Investigation Rules Endings Were 'Thematically Quite Different'

Electronics Arts has emerged victorious relatively unscathed from an investigation brought on by complaints over Mass Effect 3.

CVG reports that the UK agency Advertising Standards Authority's investigation into complaints over the title's claims that "decisions you make completely shape your experience and outcome" ruled that while the players' choices "did not influence the outcome to the extent claimed by EA," the three final choices were "thematically quite different" and those choices presented three endings that contained "a large number of minor variations in the end stages of Mass Effect 3, and that those were directly impacted by choices made by players earlier in the game(s)."

The overall conclusion of the investigation ruled EA's claims about the malleability of the game may have been a bit exaggerated, but the overall scope of what they delivered was not "misleading."

"Whilst we acknowledged that the advertiser had placed particular emphasis on the role that player choices would play in determining the outcome of the game, we considered that most consumers would realise (sic) there would be a finite number of possible outcomes within the game and, because we considered that the advertiser had shown that players' previous choices and performance would impact on the ending of the game, we concluded that the ad was not misleading."

Regardless of the decision, BioWare has announced a future "Expanded Cut" DLC that will "expand on the variety of consequences of player choices and degrees of success."

zkylon

zkylewd
Mass Effect 3's UK Investigation Rules Endings Were 'Thematically Quite Different'

snip
Pathetic. Your decisions amount to which companions show up on the magic intergalactic telephone at the end of the game. There's not even a decent battleship fight in which you can see the results of your exploits. That "investigation" is a joke.

Ah the good old ASA a waste of general publics money, I particularly liked :-

ASA BS said:
"Whilst we acknowledged that the advertiser had placed particular emphasis on the role that player choices would play in determining the outcome of the game, we considered that most consumers would realise (sic) there would be a finite number of possible outcomes within the game

That reads to me that "they lied but the consumer would realise they were lying" Still at the end of the day it doesn't matter what the ASA or the FTC think, it matters what the consumer thinks.

And Mass Effect is no where near dead. If anything, it's yet to reach its peak. The multiplayer mode is surprisingly popular, Bioware fans will gladly purchase the next game, and gamers will still buy their games regardless of an ending. The next trilogy with new multiplayer integration will most likely outsell the original easily.
It may not be quite dead yet but it is getting there, the latest Xbox activity chart shows ME 3 is only at 15, it isn't even in the top 10 and was beaten by arse old games like GTA 4. There are precious few ME fans left I really think you are underestimating just how damaging the ending of Mass Effect 3 actually is.

Bisnic

It's been done. Played the PC version at 60FPS with HD textures, modded lighting, and 8x AA. Looked super nice.

Is it just me or do the environments in ME1 look a ton better than ME2? The scope is so much larger and even the textures look sharper minus the character models.

The skyboxes in ME1 are so beautiful compared to ME2, i dunno where the guys who did them went after ME1, but they clearly didnt stay for ME2. You dont get something as nice as this in ME2 :

And the few times you see planets on the sky in ME2, they're so damn blurry it doesn't look good at all. What happened Bioware? Why you stop caring for skyboxes? :( The decent ME2 ones that come to mind is the one from the mission we recruit Tali and Grunt's loyal mission but still doesn't come close to that.

The only thing that is as good as what's in ME1 is the Palaven's moon in ME3. Sadly, that's just one zone.

Edit : Forgot about the Shadow Broker ship in ME2. That's two i guess lol.

Bisnic

Some day when I get a good computer I'm going to replay ME1 on the PC. It looks gorgeous.

60 FPS, high resolution and mods for those who want it, it's very nice, especially when i hear the 360 version has a lot of technical issues. I wouldn't touch it even if someone paid me for it.

I don't think you even need a beast of a computer to run it. But don't trust my words, since my computer is a beast. :lol

zkylon

zkylewd
60 FPS, high resolution and mods for those who want it, it's very nice, especially when i hear the 360 version has a lot of technical issues. I wouldn't touch it even if someone paid me for it.

I don't think you even need a beast of a computer to run it. But don't trust my words, since my computer is a beast. :lol
I beat it back in the day with a 7600GT on Core 2 Duo, so my guess is that anything low-end today will wreck the hell out of it.

The skyboxes in ME1 are so beautiful compared to ME2, i dunno where the guys who did them went after ME1, but they clearly didnt stay for ME2. You dont get something as nice as this in ME2 :

And the few times you see planets on the sky in ME2, they're so damn blurry it doesn't look good at all. What happened Bioware? Why you stop caring for skyboxes? :( The decent ME2 ones that come to mind is the one from the mission we recruit Tali and Grunt's loyal mission but still doesn't come close to that.

The only thing that is as good as what's in ME1 is the Palaven's moon in ME3. Sadly, that's just one zone.

Edit : Forgot about the Shadow Broker ship in ME2. That's two i guess lol.

Best skybox by a country mile is Ilium.

spekkeh

Banned
What happened Bioware? Why you stop caring for skyboxes? :(

That seems a bit unfair. Illium and Zorya are much more impressive from the amount of detail and geometry, whereas, as much as I love the atmosphere of the skyboxes you posted, you could cynicaly call them variations of ME3s rainbow theme.

The subconscious reason, IMO, people are fans of ME1 skyboxes is not just that many of them look pretty awesome, but that they're wasted on unmemorable throwaway quest planets, of which there are tons. It gives it a sense like BioWare artists spent considerable effort on art to give the game a sense of exploration, even if the gameplay / mission design side was not equal to that. Like, you end up on some random planet you weren't event sent to by a quest, and you see this awesome skybox, and you think... "wow... they even spent the effort on this random corner of the game."

All that was over with ME2 and ME3, where the side content like that was rare and did not provide that sense of exploration. Instead those games were much more focused.

Bisnic

Yeah, i'm probably a bit biased since with the Mako and the giant open zones of the barren planets, the skyboxes were the first thing everyone notice on these empty planets. And probably the only thing too.

I just started ME2 again, and the skybox on Freedom Progress has some giant moon on the sky, but you have to look up to see it, and how often do you look up when you're on foot and you have to look everywhere on the ground and walls for upgrades and credits.? What else do you have to look at other than the sky when you're driving an empty planet anyway? :p

Melchiah

I beat it back in the day with a 7600GT on Core 2 Duo, so my guess is that anything low-end today will wreck the hell out of it.

I'm playing it currently on my old laptop with a somewhat similar setup; 9600M GT 512MB, Core 2 Duo 2.0GHz and 4GB of system memory (3GB in reality), and it runs relatively ok (25-30fps) on 1280x800, 2xAA & 4xAF.

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
Just finished the game. I don't crazy hate the ending or anything, I understand some of the hate, but to me, nothing abut Reapers/Collectors or what have you has ever made much sense to me, so finding that this ending had to tie all their bs together and ended up coming off even worse for it logically isn't a big deal to me.

What I did not care for was any of that Kai Lang horseshit. Holy shit, what a terrible, blunt, worthless character. There is nothing about this guy that is a challenge. The cutscenes differ entirely from the real in game fighting. All of sudden I can't use Throw to toss this asshole off my cruiser? None of the cutscenes with him acknowledged I could use powers when they would have so easily decimated him. And then I have to fight a UNWINNABLE boss battle against him? Is this game serious? I'm not sure there has been any other scenario presented in the ME's I've played where the shit jives so poorly with what's going on in game. I was crushing this dude, he never got a hit on anybody, and all of sudden it's LOOKS LIKE IMMA HAVE TO CALL IN THE GUNSHIPS. For fuck's sakes Thane almost beat him by himself and he was HALF DEAD. I mean what the fuck bio ware, this character could've been cut from the game entirely and you lose nothing. Literally nothing. Terrible character that felt like he was dropped in from a different game because this game lacked a physical Cerberus antagonist. Hell, this game lacked a lot of new antagonists, but that's really the poor planning of building to a singular enemy in the Reapers.

That's one of the things that hold it back from being better than ME3 for me - while I'll say the combat and level design built around them were intensely more satisfying than 2, by the time I reached the final stretch, I felt as though i was meerly thumping my way through battle, it was a bit of a slog. Especially when all you can do for the final battle is simply 5x the normal enemies, that's a bit of a problem. Actually the game had kind of a large issue with handing you everything up front with the stores. I basically bought everything I wanted like 40% of the way into the game and was done, nothing new to explore. That design decision was poor as shit. As well as whoever thought it was a good idea to make the player return to the Citadel constantly for the first 2/3 of the game. It's like a fucking hour of real time spent there checking every level to make sure you got shit. Got old pretty fast once you stopped getting new shit when you got there. Seriously, what the hell.

Then there's not having as many cool teammates as 2. I won't lie to you GAF, my 2 ending was rough. I lost Garrus, Mordin, Jack, Legion....basically a a major chunk of this game that wasn't replaced. While I found it cool you could tell a dumbass like Ashley that she can go off on her own, I didnt realize that wold be just about the only time I even got a choice. Miranda, samara, Grunt (who didnt even get a good bye cut scene, which was just confusing as i was looking for him on the ship) even Jacob...my final mission was basically the same 3 squad mates I started the game with (Cortez proving to be almost entirely useless in combat around halfway through the game due to his poor Power skills), which is not really what I want out of a ME game.

Speaking of which, holy hell, all of the Quarians died in my play through. I was telling a friend about this and he was just stunned this happened, he had no idea it was possible. Tali killing herself and shit, I mean, what the fuck did I do???? And then I chose the ending where the Geth had to die to kill the Reapers anyways??? If my me2 ending stated above didn't inform you already, I play this game for heartbreak, apparently.

Especially since I didn't even achieve a romance with anybody! I was gunning for Liara the whole time, but by the time her home world got fucked, I felt like all the mojo was gone. I don't know what went wrong. My final thing with her was just that mind altering edge of the universe type thing we did together, it was weird. I was expecting a Judge Dredd type sex scene, tbh. Weird weird weird. Did not know you could sleep with more than one person either. I passed on Miranda (who I got in 2) to keep it monogamous for Liara and I get this?? Crazy.

These are the major things crossing my mind now, probably more to come later.

These are the major things crossing my mind now, probably more to come later.
The more you think about the ending and what it means for the universe and how schizophrenic it is, you will come back with more to say.

We have noticed a phenomena which I like to call Delayed Critical Response when it comes to people who have just finished the game. Some come in and say that it is not the worst ending ever (EatChildren) and other say that it wasn't as bad as we were making it out to be. After their initial post, they would come back and would truly realize how bad the ending was and ask more questions and so on.

On a meta level, the response to the ME3 ending is very interesting.

rozay

Banned
Especially since I didn't even achieve a romance with anybody! I was gunning for Liara the whole time, but by the time her home world got fucked, I felt like all the mojo was gone. I don't know what went wrong. My final thing with her was just that mind altering edge of the universe type thing we did together, it was weird. I was expecting a Judge Dredd type sex scene, tbh. Weird weird weird. Did not know you could sleep with more than one person either. I passed on Miranda (who I got in 2) to keep it monogamous for Liara and I get this?? Crazy.
You can do whatever with Liara until after the Citadel attack, when she appears near the two shops on the far end of the marketplace area. The first conversation with her has a dialogue choice where you pick if you want to *actually* romance her or just be friends

Also agreed on kai leng, nothing Bioware intended for him to be succeeded.

Gui_PT

Just finished the game. I don't crazy hate the ending or anything, I understand some of the hate, but to me, nothing abut Reapers/Collectors or what have you has ever made much sense to me, so finding that this ending had to tie all their bs together and ended up coming off even worse for it logically isn't a big deal to me.

Well you liked Prometheus so that says a lot about your taste in scripts :D

How long do I have before I envision a rainbow choice ending to my life? Will Marauder Shields be there?

Rainbow vision should be kicking in any moment now. Of course Marauder Shields will be there, he is the only true hero.

Edit: ME3: Extended Ending

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
You can do whatever with Liara until after the Citadel attack, when she appears near the two shops on the far end of the marketplace area. The first conversation with her has a dialogue choice where you pick if you want to *actually* romance her or just be friends

Also agreed on kai leng, nothing Bioware intended for him to be succeeded.
What the hell, I thought I picked the romance option? How did that get passed me. :(

Dany

Banned
This thread exists because we allow it to exist. The cycle must continue.

Seriously seeing this thread makes me depressed, just thinking about the ending and dreamchild and spacegeezer makes me frustrated at bioware and EA all over again.

MechaX

Yeah green space magic making Jokers baseball cap become sentient and partially organic/synthetic hey it happens all the time round where I live :p I have to be honest though my interest in the EC has increased. I can now say I cannot wait for the EC the reaction to it is going to be like a stream of brown excrement over anywhere and everywhere.

Given how Ashley's role in the ending is virtually nonexistent, I doubt the majority of actors who didn't follow/play the game even know (or care for that matter) what actually happened. So I can't even get too mad at her for that comment.

televator

Given how Ashley's role in the ending is virtually nonexistent, I doubt the majority of actors who didn't follow/play the game even know (or care for that matter) what actually happened. So I can't even get too mad at her for that comment.

She even says so herself in that article that she isn't a gamer. I doubt she plays the very game she VOs for. So yeah, shedono wat she takin bout.

Someone at BW must have told her. "Can you believe these swine? We give them pearls, but they don't know!"

Top Bottom