• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

You know, I wonder how the press will contort themselves to defend the new ending in terms of the Relay retcon. "The relays weren't destroyed in the original ending. You were just TOO ENTITLED to notice it."

You're entitledness destroyed the relays!

I can't believe I actually got into an argument with people over the relays being destroyed in the original endings.

dankir

So I waited for this to start my insanity run. Basically gives me another reason to go through it all.

Without spoiling it, are these new endings better?

So I waited for this to start my insanity run. Basically gives me another reason to go through it all.

You get to see a krogan baby. The relays aren't destroyed. Space magic still happens. Green glowing eyes.

Nope.

Gui_PT

That's subjective.

There's more information about the choices you have to make at the end.

Some of the questions are answered and you get information about what happens to the galaxy after the game is over

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
That's subjective.

There's more information about the choices you have to make at the end.

Some of the questions are answered and you get information about what happens to the galaxy after the game is over
Which makes them better =D

But that doesn't mean we're forgiving bioware for that shit

Goon Boon

Banned
I'm just going to interpret the reject ending as Shepard beating the reapers on their own terms, and the Liara beacon/VI just being a red herring, and call it done with Mass Effect as a series, because thats the best Bioware will be able to do.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'm kind undecided if I want to watch them on Youtube or play them myself. I mean it's an hour long of shooting Banshees and Marauder Shields and whatnot, and I don't want to do that again, but I kinda want to see my Shep again and how she does this time.

Release the thing on PC already, darn it!

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm just going to interpret the reject ending as Shepard beating the reapers on their own terms, and the Liara beacon/VI just being a red herring, and call it done with Mass Effect as a series, because thats the best Bioware will be able to do.
Unfortunately the post-credits scene doesn't support this. lol

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS
I'm kind undecided if I want to watch them on Youtube or play them myself. I mean it's an hour long of shooting Banshees and Marauder Shields and whatnot, and I don't want to do that again, but I kinda want to see my Shep again and how she does this time.

Release the thing on PC already, darn it!

Youtube them... save your time

Rufus

Synthesis is still bat shit insanity and the exposition only serves to make it creepy. A new DNA. Sigh, good lord.

Control actually kind of works, despite it being very close to that cartoon (which is funny). He is 'The Shepard' after all, now literally. Goes well with the whole messianistic theme. He's basically a god now. Including worrying undertones.

Destroy works, too, I suppose, but I still think Shep waking up among rubble is daft fan-service. But that's Bioware, I guess.

The 'hidden' ending is actually really nice, I think. Good on them for remembering Liara's beacon. That's another one of those missed opportunities that was just bizarre in its absence.

The relays aren't entirely destroyed, just damaged. The fleet leaves before the crucible does its thing, good. Why the Normandy is leaving is fittingly explained as well, which makes me wonder why they couldn't have done this the first time around.

It's definitely improved, but the most glaring mistake, aka everything about Space Kid and the Reapers' purpose is still intact and dumb as ever, but I didn't expect them to just cut with Anderson and Shep dying next to each other.

Also: Baby Krogan. Aaaw. ^_^
Don't they have hundreds of children...? I guess they love each. And. Every. One.

By the way, what was this about a woman replacing Buzz Aldrin? Because all the three endings I saw still had him.

And they had a great opportunity to get Harbinger do some menacing dialog. Instead, more space kid. Ffuuuuu.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
By the way, what was this about a woman replacing Buzz Aldrin? Because all the three endings I saw still had him.
Yeah, she's in the new Refusal ending. They probably couldn't get Buzz to come back.

That said, they should have just redone the other ending as well, but oh well.

Yeah, she's in the new Refusal ending. They probably couldn't get Buzz to come back.

Ah, I see. I actually found it easier to accept space kids terms this time around. Maybe because I had accepted his presence already. But the actual choice was a bit tougher to make.

Myomoto

I still laugh out loud when thinking about that. It's like whoever created the scene forgot he was working on a sci fi story.

I figured he was just looking around the cockpit because the ship is fucking exploding...

By the way, I still don't understand how the Normandy gets caught in the relay explosion, but nothing else seems to get harmed by it?

Gui_PT

Someone said, and correctly so, that the old man part makes no sense considering the new info we have in all the endings

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Someone said, and correctly so, that the old man part makes no sense considering the new info we have in all the endings
It totally makes no sense. It assumes the old ending, where the Relays are destroyed and everyone is cut off from each other. In fact, it makes it sound like they are a bunch of space hicks who have been living under a rock for hundreds of years.

Gui_PT

It totally makes no sense. It assumes the old ending, where the Relays are destroyed and everyone is cut off from each other. In fact, it makes it sound like they are a bunch of space hicks who have been living under a rock for hundreds of years.

:lol

Granpaw, hurry up with the story, i gotta go nail mah cousin betsy

Myomoto

Goddamnit, after now having spent a little time again to think about the endings I'm almost even more pissed off about the entire proposition of the kid presenting you with 3 choices. It doesn't make any fucking sense.

"Here Shep, it's a big red button that will destroy us, press it or we'll kill you! Or press this other button and you'll get to control us and use us to protect organics from any eventual uprising from synthetics. But we sure as shit won't offer you that protection on our own, now press the button or we'll kill you! Or finally, press this last button and merge organics with synthetics so that we can live in peace and harmony forever and ever. This is ultimately the choice we want you to make, but we won't actually force you to press this button, we'll just kill you if you don't choose any of the buttons!".

WHY?!

In fact, it makes it sound like they are a bunch of space hicks who have been living under a rock for hundreds of years.

miget.jpg

Any excuse to post Phalanx's boxart is a good enough excuse.

Trigger

I figured he was just looking around the cockpit because the ship is fucking exploding...

By the way, I still don't understand how the Normandy gets caught in the relay explosion, but nothing else seems to get harmed by it?

Certainly a possibility. The way the scene is directed though I tend to get that impression.

Hartt951

I liked how they added dialogue options with star child so he actually explained more of his bullshit nonsense... however, even after the extra dialogue it is still a horrible ending.

They showed a picture of Miranda so that made me happy, and the Korgan baby was a nice touch, but overall, it's basically the same bullshit. They explained why Joker was originally flying away for no reason.

But yeah, if you haven't played it yet and are expected something a lot better, don't, because it's not.

McNei1y

I just watched the Destroy ending on Youtube. I'm happy they at least added more information on where the Normandy was going and what happened to everyone.

It's still a mess though but at least its a bit more understandable. I mean, there's no reason to have the Normandy crash land on that world now. The new scene shows them taking off. It's like a contradiction to people's theories about them starting a new life there or something! Then the old man and the child scene is still confusing. Hackett said they'll be able to repair everything. Then this scene about The Shepard and how these people are cutoff from space? Huh!!

Oh well, sort of happy with this. It's still embarrassing that the whole fan made indoctrination theory worked better. I guess they added the Hackett line so they can go on and make more Mass Effects.

Rufus

Then this scene about The Shepard and how these people are cutoff from space? Huh!!
It's pretty ambiguous, the new context (Relay not destroyed) makes it just sound like he's talking to a child that's never been on a space ship. It still diminishes the scene somewhat, as you say, but it's not a new hole, I don't think.

McNei1y

It's pretty ambiguous, the new context (Relay not destroyed) makes it just sound like he's talking to a child that's never been on a space ship. It still diminishes the scene somewhat, as you say, but it's not a new whole, I don't think.

True. I guess he could be educating the child about space and how fucking massive it is. Why is the old man's name Stargazer though? Aw well, I should stop nitpicking.

Rapstah

I'll post a few quick impressions of EC here because I'm not sure if the thread is the right place. I only saw Control and Rejection.

• Control is now the perfect ending. There's literally no downside to that ending. I've understood Synthesis is the same thing with everyone immortal, but Control is almost too positive.
  • Why did my crew place a plate that said "Commander Shepard" on the death board? I had a fucking first name. It didn't say "Doctor Solus" or "Admiral Anderson" for those respective characters. I'm sure there is a reasonable character limit for names too, they obviously had enough space.
  • Rejection was the opposite of Control's positiveness: everything Shepard says are great lines for rejecting his propositions, and then everyone just apparently dies.
  • Why was Stargazer's model a Marauder and why was the child's model a Volus? I appreciate the effort in not having them be at all related to humans though.
  • Facial animations in the added scenes looked incredible. Kaydan and Joker looked genuinely sad in their final scenes, the animations there were out of place with how they actually moved the entire face.

An Oblivion for effort but it still builds on bad ideas so it couldn't surpass too much really.

fuenf

Loved these endings. Miranda! Finally :D Cant really decide if i like Control or Synthesis better, loved Edi's speech in the Synth-Ending but it feels too much like the ultimate happy ending (and the Cerbrus choice -> Synthesis = next step in evolution).

Cagey

Banned
So I played through the ending once, selecting the "get the fuck outta here with that bullshit" ending, and lo and behold, it's a bunker in the future with Dr. Liara T'Soni's archives set up, warning the future cycles about what transpired.

Am I supposed to be pleased that this glaringly obvious yet awesome brainstormed-by-the-community ending was included, or roll my eyes at the laziness that that entails? I'm currently undecided.

Rufus

So I played through the ending once, selecting the "get the fuck outta here with that bullshit" ending, and lo and behold, it's a bunker in the future with Dr. Liara T'Soni's archives set up, warning the future cycles about what transpired.

Am I supposed to be pleased that this glaringly obvious yet awesome brainstormed-by-the-community ending was included, or roll my eyes at the laziness that that entails? I'm currently undecided.
Take it as another reminder of the lost opportunity to include it the first time and as a collective slap to the forehead on Bioware's part.

daedalius

From the other thread:

They should have just kept it as Destroy and Control as possible overall outcomes, which was basically what had been preached upon you since the 2nd game.

Illusive man wanted to control the reapers, everyone else wanted to destroy them; or you fail and you all die (rejection end).

The synthesis ending is just... weird.

At least Destroy and Control are somewhat thematically consistent with the overall series, unlike the organic/synthetic conflict that somehow took center-stage in ME3.

--now I need to go back and read stuff in here.

Wow, they didn't remove the kid and grandpa? That shit makes no sense now. Something that just needs to be ignored.

Complistic

the ending is still ridiculous but at least the characters aren't all stranded on a random planet.

I'll take it. Thought it was going to be much worse.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
How the hell did they repair the Normandy so quickly?

I don't like the 2D thing, but w/e.

I've seen the Destroy and Fuck You endings, so far. I got the breath part even though I don't have 5000 w/e points.

At least we see the "Asari figure" now. The one that was described in the text file.

Top Bottom