• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

Rokam

OK, I wasn't clear. 3,100 EMS is entirely achievable with a nice single-player playthrough. So 3,100 war assets + the minimum (50%, no multiplayer) galactic readiness = enough for all scenes. So no multiplayer needed based on these latest tweets.

Also, in the original ending, 3,100 EMS was enough for everything except a 1-second addition which was definitely not worth it if you don't like MP.

I assume this only requires 3100 now?

Prologue

I thought they were going to release it at the end of summer? Seems a bit fast imo. Not really getting a good vibe from this but will tune in tomorrow.

Dany

Banned
I'm worried. I will try to avoid reactons until tomorrow night.

on facebook
528119_334445359964187_1648001231_n.jpg

SpeedingUptoStop

will totally Facebook friend you! *giggle* *LOL*
I'll say this. I much preferred this games squadmates over the previous.
I basically only had 3 squad mates in my play through so it was actually far worse in that respect. Not to mention how each character in the last one had their own unique, fun, episodic story that added a lot more detail.

As someone who wasn't offended by the ending of ME3 and was actually annoyed that Bioware seemingly caved to the pressure to expand upon the ending, I'm pretty excited about this DLC now. I can't wait to see some wonky montage of everyone getting along from my perfect paragon playthrough, and a nice scrolling wall of text explaining what my squadmates are doing on paradise planet. And most importantly, now Bioware has the opportunity to show Tali's face beautifully rendered and animated in 3D. I hope that's what they've been working on these past couple of months.

zkylon

zkylewd
I'll say this. I much preferred this games squadmates over the previous.
Really? ME2 had all them daddy issues and ME1 was a snore-fest but EDI alone made ME3 the absolute worst for me. I played 100% of the allowed time with Garrus and Liara, and they actually got some pretty good lines in the game, so at least that was pretty good.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Really? ME2 had all them daddy issues and ME1 was a snore-fest but EDI alone made ME3 the absolute worst for me. I played 100% of the allowed time with Garrus and Liara, and they actually got some pretty good lines in the game, so at least that was pretty good.

Yeah i brought EDI in my last run thinking she would do a bunch of jokes like when she's outside of missions, but no. :(

There was one part that was funny, and it was bringing her on the first Rannoch mission with Tali when she said "You'll be the first one to know if i decide to overthrow the humans." after Tali asked if she planned to do the same thing as the Geths.

.GqueB.

Banned
As someone who wasn't offended by the ending of ME3 and was actually annoyed that Bioware seemingly caved to the pressure to expand upon the ending, I'm pretty excited about this DLC now. I can't wait to see some wonky montage of everyone getting along from my perfect paragon playthrough, and a nice scrolling wall of text explaining what my squadmates are doing on paradise planet. And most importantly, now Bioware has the opportunity to show Tali's face beautifully rendered and animated in 3D. I hope that's what they've been working on these past couple of months.

I hope it's one of those endings where they show a quick clip of the character doing something mundane, and then the video pauses and text pops up explaining what happened to the character. All set to the theme of "Growing Pains".

Fjordson

I think I also enjoyed ME 2's squadmates more on the whole, but I liked EDI =[

or maybe it's that I like Tricia Helfer. Hmm...

Replicant

New Red ending: Nice, happy, complete ending.

New Blue ending: Bioware going TROLOLOLOLOLOLOL based on a joke sketch someone created not too long ago.

New Green ending: The creepy ending where everyone is assimilated. Resistance is futile.

New Rejection ending: Sad, depressing, but sticks to your pinciple (while giving middle finger to space brat) and maybe more realistic?

So they used their artistic integrity to insinuate that people who reject the ending deserve to be depressed?

NICE

How to enrage your audience? Oh, I don't know... calling them 'wrong' by implication?
I'm sure they didn't realize this until I just pointed this out. :D

(no really, I don't think they did. And there was no way to avoid it, since the ending is what it is anyway)

Tookay

So they used their artistic integrity to insinuate that people who reject the ending deserve to be depressed?

NICE

How to enrage your audience? Oh, I don't know... calling them 'wrong' by implication?
I'm sure they didn't realize this until I just pointed this out. :D

I'm pretty sure you're interpreting this in the absolute worst way possible.

Tess3ract

Banned
The entire series is a power fantasy. Shepard is always told he can't do things. You can't chase Saren. You can't kill Sovereign. You can't jump through the Omega 4 Relay and not get totally boned. Shep does impossible shit all the time, why is it suddenly so important to have it turn out... the way it does?

It's also totally a potshot. You know what sentiment I saw repeatedly in this thread? The desire to reject the Star Kid's crap, and also I saw a lot of posts about how people were so put off by the options he gives you that they just tried to shoot him. Now, if you reject him, and even if you try and shoot him, Shepard dies, all of Shepard's friends die, all of their families die, everybody you've met throughout the series dies, etc.

The only part that really bothers me is the Galaxy at War score. It's meaningless padding and they might as well have just not had it. There's basically two competing ideas in Mass Effect 3: the plot device of the Crucible, and the theme of uniting the galaxy to fight, and I think they end up clashing in a huge way at the end. All of that work you did uniting everybody? Doesn't matter, rendered completely moot by the Crucible. It actually kind of gives ME3 the feeling of Shep just kind of buggering about until the Crucible is ready to be fired, really.

Good reason while all these endings stink

I'm pretty sure you're interpreting this in the absolute worst way possible.

I was just trolling for a moment there.

then again, over in the 'extended cut' topic:

The idea behind what fans wanted was to refuse the choices given and defeat the Reapers with EMS. The fact that there's absolutely no way to win in that ending feels like Bioware's going out of their way to shoot it down and try to convince people their endings are better.

A lot of people hate the starchild so much they're willing to kill the galaxy in order to say fuck you, but I highly doubt that's Bioware's reasoning. Why even bother putting it in the game if there's no way to succeed, if it's so transparently the wrong choice?

btw: this thread is impossible to find manually. I looked in 'gaming' only to realize it was in community, and then I still couldn't find it. I know why Evilore did it and all, but finding a specific thread requires google now. :(

Myomoto

New endings aren't much but a polished turd. But we were never promised anything else so that's fine I suppose.

The synthesis ending is still offensively retarded, but the inherent premise is so ridiculously dumb that there is no way of correcting that.

Keeping the destruction of the relays in the endings, and then instantly be like "lol jk we can repair them" is probably what irks me the most about this. It seems so completely fucking pointless to have ever brought the destruction up in the first place if it is without any consequences to the galaxy. Like, at all.

The new rejection ending is cool, but it seems inexcusable to not have had it in the game originally.

EMS is still complete snake oil, which I think is ultimately the biggest failure of ME3, seeing as how it originally seemed like a really cool system for keeping track of all your important decisions throughout the trilogy.

TL;DR: New endings are bad, but not what-fuck-did-I-just-watch-hair-ripping-out-infuriatingly bad as the original endings.

Lol @ the slideshow

Did you honestly not expect that?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, the retcon of the Relays is the biggest "oops, we fucked up" concession ever.

I loved how they fixed the part where Joker looks back when he's escaping the shockwave though. Now he doesn't look behind his shoulder because they realized he's not driving a car. lol

The new "Refusal" ending is such a hilarious fuck you to anyone who doesn't like any of the endings though.

Did you honestly not expect that?

Oh I expected it. I just found it hilarious, especially since it's the same across all three except for the voiceover and the glowing eyes.

I agree with everything you said, especially your TL;DR. The extended cut ending just fixes a few plot holes and a big loose end, but it doesn't solve the main problem people had with the endings: the sudden thematic shift and the starkid. I'm glad that added the refusal option, but it's only a nonstandard game over. If they had your EMS affect the outcome of the refusal, then this would have been a lot better and would have made those useless points mean something.

Yeah, the retcon of the Relays is the biggest "oops, we fucked up" concession ever.
Oops, we forgot a major plot point of the DLC that we released that lead directly into the third game.

Trigger

I loved how they fixed the part where Joker looks back when he's escaping the shockwave though. Now he doesn't look behind his shoulder because they realized he's not driving a car. lol

The new "Refusal" ending is such a hilarious fuck you to anyone who doesn't like any of the endings though.

I still laugh out loud when thinking about that. It's like whoever created the scene forgot he was working on a sci fi story.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I still laugh out loud when thinking about that. It's like whoever created the scene forgot he was working on a sci fi story.
Yep. It's the funniest part of the original ending, after I watched that video that pointed out how stupid it was for him to do that. lol

Oops, we forgot a major plot point of the DLC that we released that lead directly into the third game.
Not to mention the START OF MASS EFFECT 3 WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSEDLY IN BIG SHIT FOR- oh fuck it. They realized they fucked up and they fixed it.

You know, I wonder how the press will contort themselves to defend the new ending in terms of the Relay retcon. "The relays weren't destroyed in the original ending. You were just TOO ENTITLED to notice it."

Top Bottom