• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

rozay

Banned
I ended up selling my CE on eBay. Feels good to have this out of my house. I realized that the only parts of the game I actually enjoyed are on disc 2 and I can just use that to play multiplayer so I'll have to find a way to get that for cheap.

ME1 and ME2 collectors will stay on my shelf until stolen or ruined by natural disaster.

Rufus

"Part 1"

Hahaha.

Okay, not actually interesting so far, but my inner pedant does enjoys this. OK, the one with the birthmarks got me.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
It's odd how he talked about Tali's pic so . . . long, but not really about how she wasn't modeled (only until the end.) I also hadn't thought about Eve's presence on Tuchanka.

As for the last point of the video, in ME there were some scrapped sound files for an actual romance between male Shep and Kaidan.

Rufus

As for the last point of the video, in ME there were some scrapped sound files for an actual romance between male Shep and Kaidan.
Interesting. So they weren't as comfortable about it back then.
They are still pandering panderers, even if they're moving the medium forward in this particular case.

Complistic

There's also a sound file where male shepard refers to himself as a woman to liara. It doesn't necessarily mean they cut out the quest where he reveals himself to be femshep after all.

hateradio

Actually, there's a video. They could get kicked out of the service for fraternization.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPMOlEfhWGE

There's also a sound file where male shepard refers to himself as a woman to liara. It doesn't necessarily mean they cut out the quest where he reveals himself to be femshep after all.
Actually, since they removed the idea, they didn't animate the models so femshep appears during the sex scene. :p

So I was replaying the ending last night to check out the DLC when I noticed something that completely shattered the illusion for me. There's really no reason why anyone should notice this, but I happened to be very familiar with this one specific image.

Here is a NASA picture I used while teaching myself After Effects:
earth.jpg

Here's that tender moment between Shepard and Anderson:

Now that photo again, this time a little more closely:

I know they used stock photography in other places, but using a blown-up JPEG as the visual payoff for Shepard's relationship with his/her mentor at the climax of the series is kind of lame.

I know they used stock photography in other places, but using a blown-up JPEG as the visual payoff for Shepard's relationship with his/her mentor at the climax of the series is kind of lame.

I am amused by how people try to make specific instances of the same faux pass somehow more offensive.

The major disconnect for me at that moment was the fact that when Anderson says 'Quite a view', it shows a bunch of pixellated, low res junk floating across a static skybox.

spekkeh

Banned
So I was replaying the ending last night to check out the DLC when I noticed something that completely shattered the illusion for me. There's really no reason why anyone should notice this, but I happened to be very familiar with this one specific image.

What's lame about it? Conversely, why is it better if they hand drew the earth?

Yeah I don't really see the problem with using an image for something like Earth... I'm sure they used an image for Earth on the Luna mission in ME1.

Unmasked stock photo Tali on the other hand, is a whole different embarrassment.

How does it "shatter the illusion"? Earth is Earth, even in a video game. If it had been used for some alien planet, then it would be a problem.

spekkeh

Banned
Was this already posted?

BioWare’s Tully Ackland:
“You may notice that in the ‘Shepard lives’ ending, the love interest hesitates to place Shepard’s name on the wall, and instead looks up as though deep in thought. This is meant to suggest that the love interest is not ready to believe Shepard is dead, and the final scene reveals they are correct. As the Normandy lifts off, there is hope that the love interest and Shepard will again be together.”

So, red = canonical, and sequel (dlc) confirmed?

Was this already posted?

BioWare’s Tully Ackland:

No, it has been said many times that there will be no post-ending DLC.

The one breath scene is just a "reward" for the people who wanted a happy ending and a reunion with their crew/LI. (Most of those people being the crazy BSN types)

Was this already posted?

BioWare’s Tully Ackland:

Since Bioware has claimed to be making anymore ME games, I don't feel it's really their call to decide what is canon and what isn't.

But a short list of marketing expectations:
1. humans want to play as humans, not humanoid aliens
2. destroying all enemies is the usual answer to final dealings with threats in video games.
(etcetera)

means that red was canon either way, regardless of who makes the sequel. The other endings are just there for the sake of 'choice'. Since they didn't go with a confrontational ending where the player would have had to make a really tough choice (but then EMS would have had to have been different as well), there really is only one ending available given the limits of the medium, player expectations and fictional logic that produces 'closure' of some sort.

That actually bothers me a lot btw: the fact that Bioware and the journalists have shown nothing but clear contempt for both their audience and the medium, by excluding TIM as a 'boss' confrontation because it's too "video gamey" while making the most "video gamey" ending canon to begin with.

I think the EC makes the ending tolerable (or hilarious) and all, but I sure as hell do not mistake it for a token of friendliness on Bioware's end. The refuse ending is too aggressive for that to be the case.
(despite this being Bioware filling the dots on feedback. I realize all they did was look at what people want and provide that, but I'm not most people, apparently)

I am looking forward to C&C generals 2 though, despite the Bioware label it is now under. Saying "I'm done with Bioware" should be "I'm done with Bioware Austin and their RPG's", imo. Not that I care for either Bioware or RPG's in particular anyway.

I just don't think the linear shooter model has been an improvement for ME in both the short and long run. You can't do contingency and negotiation in a corridor environment.
Still, I will probably play future ME's, but only as "shooter with a dumb story" type game, not the implicit idea of a Deus Ex type game with ME1. I still think it's damn shame, and something that could have been avoided with more allotted development time to begin with on ME3. That is all for me on ME.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
So I'm playing through ME3 on PS3 for the first time, I am really just doing it for the trophies and just to have one more run through, going through on a different system with a different character makes it a little easier to handle after all the fuss we have had over the bad ending.

I am going through Grissom Academy and David isn't there, now I know this is my paragon character and I wouldn't have given him to his brother, but for some reason it doesn't seem to have picked up my choice regarding him which is strange.

I don't see a problem with this, there is a difference between being lazy with a well known character and not actually being able to go into space to take your own picture of Earth.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
So I'm playing through ME3 on PS3 for the first time, I am really just doing it for the trophies and just to have one more run through, going through on a different system with a different character makes it a little easier to handle after all the fuss we have had over the bad ending.

I am going through Grissom Academy and David isn't there, now I know this is my paragon character and I wouldn't have given him to his brother, but for some reason it doesn't seem to have picked up my choice regarding him which is strange.

I don't see a problem with this, there is a difference between being lazy with a well known character and not actually being able to go into space to take your own picture of Earth.

Did you play Overlord on ME2 PS3? He wont show up otherwise. You said "different system", so i guess you didnt.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Did you play Overlord on ME2 PS3? He wont show up otherwise. You said "different system", so i guess you didnt.

I did play it, Overlord comes with the PS3 version on disc, the only one I didn't play was Arrival as I would have to buy it again which I didn't want to do as I have all the DLC bought on my 360.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
Was this already posted?

BioWare’s Tully Ackland:

Interesting to say the least, shame about the Geth and Edi but to me the Destroy ending is still the one I would pick over the other two.
Unsure if they would release DLC that only continued after one of the endings though.

In the Giant Bombcast interview, Hudson specifically said that the team's mentality when making ME3 was that there is no 'canon'.

They say a lot of things, like how our choices would originally matter or that we wouldn't just end up with an A,B or C ending choice, lol.

But if they ever decide to do a sequel they are going to have to choose one of the options they presented at the end to continue with as there are some dramatic differences between them.

Sure there is no "canon" Shepard, but like they ended up doing with Revan, in a few years when they move on to either a new series or a sequel I would guess we will start getting clues as to what they decided was canon going forward if only so they can continue the story in certain ways. Like Uldina becoming councillor regardless of a choice you made, they flippantly remark that Anderson wanted to leave and that is it, regardless of choice it will always be Uldina for ME3 because that is how they wanted to move the story forward regardless of your previous choice.

nel e nel

They say a lot of things, like how our choices would originally matter or that we wouldn't just end up with an A,B or C ending choice, lol.

Yeah, but I'd argue that - in this day and age - taking marketing speak at face value is a... badchoice

BycB8.png

But seriously, I definitely see the issues, but I think that whatever 'canon' they need for sequels (I thought that I heard that they said any future ME games would not be direct sequels to this trilogy and would take place before the events of Shepard?) would just be the broad strokes, i.e. the lore (Quarians & Geth, Salarians & Krogan, Asari finding the Citadel first, biotics, etc etc).

But seriously, I definitely see the issues, but I think that whatever 'canon' they need for sequels (I thought that I heard that they said any future ME games would not be direct sequels to this trilogy and would take place before the events of Shepard?) would just be the broad strokes, i.e. the lore (Quarians & Geth, Salarians & Krogan, Asari finding the Citadel first, biotics, etc etc).

It'd be pretty noticable broad strokes though... like... "everyone has glowing green eyes" or "geth don't exist" or "husk butlers".

DTKT

According to the Final Hours app, Bioware has no interest in continuing the current ME universe. Aka you'll get prequels and spin-off but ME3 ending is irrelevant.

Bisnic

According to the Final Hours app, Bioware has no interest in continuing the current ME universe. Aka you'll get prequels and spin-off but ME3 ending is irrelevant.

Well i suppose with the endings we got, they can't really make a game that follows Shepard's death without changing the story a lot depending on what you chose. I dont mind about prequels, showing the First Contact War, or the Krogan Rebellions or what happened between the 2 years Shepard was "out" during ME2 wouldn't bother me, even if we know what happen in the end of each of them.

Rufus

I have lost interest in the universe. If I ever buy another ME game it's solely based on the quality of the game itself. Won't be a day-one purchase, either way.

hateradio

I won't hold my breath for the next ME, unless they fully revamp the battle controls because after having played a few TPSs, I'm bored of them. It will also not satisfy the RPG guy in me.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Since Bioware has claimed to be making anymore ME games, I don't feel it's really their call to decide what is canon and what isn't.
I take it you meant Bioware has claimed not to be making anymore ME games? That sucks but where did they say that 'cause I remember them saying they planned on expanding the universe even after ME3. Or is it just that everyone's disappointment has changed their mind?

Bisnic

I take it you meant Bioware has claimed not to be making anymore ME games? That sucks but where did they say that 'cause I remember them saying they planned on expanding the universe even after ME3. Or is it just that everyone's disappointment has changed their mind?

They said they're more interested in going to the past for the next game(or maybe during the events of the trilogy/ME3, but without following Shepard too?) rather than continuing the events following the Reapers invasion. Not that they dont want to do anymore Mass Effect games.

I take it you meant Bioware has claimed not to be making anymore ME games?

yeah, it's amazing how many times I forget to type words these days. Only on forums though. It doesn't happen to me (as often) on longer texts, probably due to taking more time and the possibility of correction.

Anyway: I interpreted the original ending + that quote as Bioware not making more games, but that position has since been withdrawn by Ray ... ehm whatever and the EC ending.

For some reason I keep thinking that the first proposition is still true though. :\

I don't think they've ever claimed there wouldn't be anymore ME games. The Final Hours interview, which took place before all of the ending brouhaha, is where Casey's comment about any future games being set before or during ME3 came from.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I finished watching the Star Trek: Voyager episode "Think Tank" a couple of hours ago and there's an alien in that episode that looks very much like a Hanar. LOL if Bioware took the Hanar from that episode.

8hy4T.jpg

Bad shot but if you've seen the episode, you'd see it a lot better and the hell if that's not a Hanar!

Inanna

Not pure anymore!
I don't think they've ever claimed there wouldn't be anymore ME games. The Final Hours interview, which took place before all of the ending brouhaha, is where Casey's comment about any future games being set before or during ME3 came from.

Future ME3 DLCs not games.

Future ME3 DLCs not games.

No, he's talking about future games.

The Final Hours app said:
While there will definitely be more Mass Effect games and other stories told in the future, Commander Shepard's story has concluded.

Hudson isn't sure where the series goes next, but he's pretty confident that he never wants to tell any stories that take place in a post-Shepard era. "Whatever we do would likely happen before or during the events of Mass Effect 3, not after", he suggests.

I finally beat ME3 and I went through the entire cycle listed on page 1 after the grandpa scene. What a horrible ending. I also want to thank you all for keeping this Spoiler thread alive.

I finished watching the Star Trek: Voyager episode "Think Tank" a couple of hours ago and there's an alien in that episode that looks very much like a Hanar. LOL if Bioware took the Hanar from that episode.

8hy4T.jpg

Bad shot but if you've seen the episode, you'd see it a lot better and the hell if that's not a Hanar!

that's actually pretty cool, but I never got the 'hanar' from that episode. And by ME1, I sure as hell did not remember. Or care to, since its f-ing Voyager.
This is one of those cases where you want someone else to plagiarize a one-off idea or concept.

And the Hanar are definitely a good idea within the ME context.

Top Bottom