• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

K' Dash

The ending is so bad, that it almost doesn't exist, but besides the not so great boss fights Human Revolution to me was one of the best surprises of last year and was pretty good fun to play.

I'll play it anyway, got those three games a bunch of XBLA games and The Witcher preordered, have to stop buying games.

You people are forgetting the biggest victims... the trees! They also hybrids now, and the Normandy crashing on them must have hurt a lot.
Those goddamn murdering tree-killers

Deus Ex: HR (amazing game and atmosphere, but the endings will make you remember ME3). Haven't played Rayman yet.
It's amazing how similar the endings are. But hey, artistic integrity even if we rip off another game's ending

Dresden

Where's the pic where Hudson talks about his dayoos ex fandom...
Pretty likely. Posted earlier on his twitter account and on Livejournal. On Livejournal he stated:

cutgt.png

On one hand, Mordin, Tali, etc.

On the other, the journal.

Duki

Banned
i really have to finish the witcher

i always pick it up, play for hours getting caught up in whatever jumble of quests i had, relearning the controls and stuff, and them promptly dropping it having to go through the entire process again

such a good game too, i dont know whats wrong with me

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Maaaaan, I'm playing DE:HR right now, near the ending as well. ): You guys just killed my momentum.

Well, it's a prequel. You sort of know where it's going to end. Don't worry about it too much.

Plus, it's one game, not a massive 100 hour trilogy with an ending hastily scribbled out on a napkin.

Dresden

the best way to cope with ME3 is to play JRPGs yo

If you asked me if I'd ever buy XIII-2 or a Tales game a month ago, I'd have said no. Now . . .

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
It's a really good game, but the ending is a little limp, yeah. Like, "oops, we have to end this game but it's both a prequel and a Deus Ex game but at the same time we ran out of budget."

Well Bloodlines and SS2 have relatively poor endings. But comparing HR to ME3 is a step too far. Unless we are comparing how ME3 was fucking Deus Ex at the end.

Digoman

Maaaaan, I'm playing DE:HR right now, near the ending as well. ): You guys just killed my momentum.

I was probably prepared for them because of the original game, but they didn't ruin this one for me. Without getting into spoilers, let's just say they're lazy, but they don't come out of nowhere.

Duki

Banned
yeah i mean youre conditioned to bizarre endings if you've played either of the first two deus ex games anyway, so dont worry about it

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
the best way to cope with ME3 is to play JRPGs yo

If you asked me if I'd ever buy XIII-2 or a Tales game a month ago, I'd have said no. Now . . .

Real serious here - play both Devil Survivor game. More choice, better writing, awesome endings.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I kind of want to pick it up, but then I see the art and think I should probably wait for the next one.

Also if that guy wrote Mordin in ME2 he is my new favorite person ever.

I'm more impressed by the PTSD substory. That is definitely the story that still sticks in my brain. Great bit of writing.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
i really have to finish the witcher

i always pick it up, play for hours getting caught up in whatever jumble of quests i had, relearning the controls and stuff, and them promptly dropping it having to go through the entire process again

such a good game too, i dont know whats wrong with me
I don't think anything's wrong. I do the same thing. I play it, but then I get bored of it or something, and I stop.

Dresden

Beat the first DS twice, but I don't have a ds (or a 3ds) right now. Gonna catch up when I acquire the latter.

Empty Space said:
I kind of want to pick it up, but then I see the art and think I should probably wait for the next one.
Graces F is like, really excellent mechanics wise. All the systems just work well. Shame about the whole being a Tales game thing though.

I just discovered new voice bits on Surkesh. You interact with a control panel and one of the Salarian's tells you not to touch it. If you keep doing it he keeps responding. Has some pretty funny lines about a feces analyzer.

Hero

Interesting article by Leigh Alexander over at Gamasutra. http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/163490/Opinion_Mass_Effect_3s_promise_of_ownership_is_one_it_couldnt_keep.php

She makes some valid points about both sides of the story but is anyone else getting really tired of the whole "gamers feeling entitled" bit going around lately? I don't understand who doesn't feel entitled when they purchase a product. Do you not complain at a restaurant when the food isn't as it was described? Do you call your customer entitled there? When the Xbox 360 had the RRoD issue early on, were customers entitled to a product that worked? It's just kind of sickening seeing how most of this generation's "journalists" would rather defend the corporations that fail to live up to their word.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Well, DXHR's ending is pretty disappointing, but it doesn't shit on the entire lore of the game and your character the way ME3's does. The endings themselves are disappointing, but AT LEAST THEY MAKE SENSE.

I still absolutely loved DXHR regardless. Not even the craptacular boss fights can take away from how good the rest of the game is.

Well, DXHR's ending is pretty disappointing, but it doesn't shit on the entire lore of the game and your character the way ME3's does. The endings themselves are disappointing, but AT LEAST THEY MAKE SENSE.

I still absolutely loved DXHR regardless. Not even the craptacular boss fights can take away from how good the rest of the game is.

Also, I will sometimes go back and play DXHR even if the endings are shitty. With ME3's ending, it makes it difficult to go back and replay it.

Dresden

It's a steady downhill slide once you get back to
Detroit
imo.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Also, I will sometimes go back and play DXHR even if the endings are shitty. With ME3's ending, it makes it difficult to go back and replay it.
Yes. Even with the boss fights and ending, I went through DXHR twice and wouldn't mind a third run.

I did two runs on both ME1 and ME2, but I don't think I'll do a second run of ME3.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Interesting article by Leigh Alexander over at Gamasutra. http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/163490/Opinion_Mass_Effect_3s_promise_of_ownership_is_one_it_couldnt_keep.php

She makes some valid points about both sides of the story but is anyone else getting really tired of the whole "gamers feeling entitled" bit going around lately? I don't understand who doesn't feel entitled when they purchase a product. Do you not complain at a restaurant when the food isn't as it was described? Do you call your customer entitled there? When the Xbox 360 had the RRoD issue early on, were customers entitled to a product that worked? It's just kind of sickening seeing how most of this generation's "journalists" would rather defend the corporations that fail to live up to their word.

Hey, shitty bloggers and journalists are entitled to have dumb opinions. And I'm entitled to tell them to fuck themselves.

Along with that, it would have made fetch quests a bit more interesting than sending a probe.

What I really wanted were fetch quests that actually made sense. If they had to be timed, have some quests like save the Turian diplomat before his building collapses because he has a code to a secret weapons stash.. Etc..

The biggest problem with the majority if not all of the side missions were their complete disconnect from the main story.

When I played the demo I criticized Bioware for having the reaper invasion so soon in the game. And that criticism was because I didn't think the story would make sense having Shep run around doing missions while the reapers fucked up everything. At the beginning I felt they did a pretty good job with the pacing but in the end it was pretty much just a leash.. And when they finally let us go play it was all too late.

I completely agree with the fact that Vega was far from fleshed out. He was nothing more than a caricature of the bro, although he wasn't even much of one. He was a decent person, I suppose, but we never got to know him.

Not only that but I feel he really wasn't needed. Nor did I feel any of the new additions were besides EDI. Not that she really was needed but her and Javik made the most sense.

And like I mentioned how do you not have Wrex join you most of the game. HOW?! Hell he even had the shortest conversation out of all the characters on the London mission..WHY?!

As for the LI stuff, I don't know. It never mattered to me since I never had a true LI. And the point wasn't to sex them as much as to get the character better. But I guess most people just want to bang.

See my whole issue wasn't the "banging" or sex. It was more of the relationship. I think the way they handled the LI stuff was pretty juvenile. Like they laughed during development every time they had to render boobs.

I like Mass Effect because it wasn't just shoot everything that moves. I felt a good connection and cared about the characters, especially after ME2. I mean how can you flesh out so many characters with so much back story and not follow up with that. Oh yea.. You trade fleshing out existing stories to include a fight on a planet none of us have a connection to in the game.

I also didn't like the Earth mission, the monochromatic palette, the enemy waves, the wait to press a button, it was tedious and not very fun.

I don't think I have played a worse final mission. There was no drama. NONE. I wanted to dodge the "dubstep reaper laser" while trying to make my way towards the end. Etc...I wanted to see armies of Krogan fighting a war besides. The shit should have been like the scene in 300 when they fought the immortals. It should have been pure chaos!

At the end of the day it was about respect and presentation. I don't ME3 had either for the franchise or loyal fans. Face import, Krogan party member and the ending are probably the worse offenders. I expected a sad ending and wanted it. I wanted a scene like the trailer of Metal Gear Solid 2 where Snake jumps off the ship after Metal Gear while screaming at the top of his lungs.. That is my Shepard. My Shepard was bad fucking ass and wanted to kill the reapers at all cost. So I wanted to see that.

I wanted to see him taking his last breath while firing a M290-Cain at Harbinger and saying "See you in hell". Those are the scenes I expected on my final playthrough. My Shepard is the first fucking human Spectre and united the fucking galaxy better than anyone before him/her.. He deserves to go out like one....

abrack08

You don't get to send the meal back after eating the whole thing. If you say "No tomatoes", and your entire plate has no tomatoes, then your last bite has a tomato in it, no, you don't get to send it back, or get a "new" last bite. But, you know what? A hell of a lot of people at restaurants and other places DO act like untitled assholes when something is wrong (or even if nothing was wrong).

As a bunch of people have said, people who don't like the end are fine. People who are DEMANDING a different ending, going to congress, suing, whatever, are acting immature and entitled.

Dresden

You don't get to send the meal back after eating the whole thing. If you say "No tomatoes", and your entire plate has no tomatoes, then your last bite has a tomato in it, no, you don't get to send it back, or get a "new" last bite. But, you know what? A hell of a lot of people at restaurants and other places DO act like untitled assholes when something is wrong (or even if nothing was wrong).

As a bunch of people have said, people who don't like the end are fine. People who are DEMANDING a different ending, going to congress, suing, whatever, are acting immature and entitled.

can we stop with the retarded food analogies

Gestahl

If a restaurant kept putting stupid shit into meals that people didn't ask for and didn't apologize for it in some way, they would not be in business for very fucking long

Hero

Not a great analogy because people who bought and played ME3 had no idea that the ending was going to be bad. A better one would be going to a restaurant, ordering a 5 course meal that said the dessert was going to be the coup de grace for the whole meal overall and they give you a nice serving of poop pie.

You don't get to send the meal back after eating the whole thing. If you say "No tomatoes", and your entire plate has no tomatoes, then your last bite has a tomato in it, no, you don't get to send it back, or get a "new" last bite.

But you could express your disappointment to the restaurant owner. And if enough customers say that they won't return unless a problem is fixed, then it's in the owner's best interest to satisfy the customers.

sTeLioSco

Banned
can we stop with the retarded food analogies

If a painter has agreed to paint a wilderness scene for me, and I have paid them based on that promise, are you saying they have the right to give me a painting of a cityscape instead, and that I simply have to accept it because their "artistic integrity" is at stake? I didn't think so. So while your argument for artistic choices is understandable, unfortunately the moment you began making promises to your consumers you became bound to them.

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/355/index/10405204/1

:)

DJMicLuv

Finished the game last night. A few remarks about the ending which I still don't understand...

1) When Tali pulls the monkey out of Shepherd's ear why is it dead? The codex always makes it sound like Shepherd's ear-monkey is immortal - I think they actually refer to it as 'Simon the Deathless Ear-monkey'. It just doesn't make sense that it was dead.

2) If Bayonetta is, in fact, being controlled by the ghost of John Lennon then why does she let Garrus masturbate into the potato salad? It just seems a bit out of character. Lennon loved potato salad and, according to the codex, was a well know semen hater who was once arrested for stabbing a sperm to absolute death so WHY would he let this happen? Again, it MAKES NO SENSE!

3) Q-Bert does NOT belong in the ME universe! It was a pointless inclusion and one which greatly distracted from the dwarf prostitution sub-plot. It made sense, in a roundabout way, but was just shit and stupid.

4) Shepherd would NOT drive a Vauxhall Corsa! Talk about product placement! Shameless. MY SHEPHERD would have a Citroen Berlingo so he could fit the rest of his crew in the back as well as having room for weaponry and if he was traveling solo he'd be able to drop the seats down and use it as a mini van. Vauxhall Corsa? IT MAKES NO SENSE!

5) Fifteen saggy bollocks and a bag of flacid cocks? IT MAKES NO SENSE!

Saying that, the actually ending of the game was everything I could have hoped for - big fuck-off massive fights, Krogans ripping Reapers apart with their bare hands, massive space battles, and an action packed conclussion that saw Shepherd shooting the Catalyst in the face before watching his comrades, with the help of a fully restored Crucible kicking the reaper's arses! Great stuff! That final shot of Shepherd and Tali's family enjoying everyone's hard-won freedom was a moment I'll remember forever.

But seriously, folks...

Fuck you Bioware! Fuck you!

Zeal

Banned
I'm not too knowledgeable about this Colin Moriarty guy, but he sounds like a holier than thou, my opinion is fact sort of fuck. I am getting sick of these piece of shit 'journalists' trying to slam fans--who have equally valid opinions mind you--as being entitled and ungrateful.

I have a fact for you...the ending was GARBAGE and Bioware knows this. It hurts them, and it will be fixed by our direct control. I still support indoctrination theory, but I'm at the point where any sort of actual, literate ending is better than what we got, which was Casper the Ghost having you choose between three different ways to skullfuck the universe.

Top Bottom