• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

Derrick01

Banned
seriously? this is ridiculous. The ending to a videogame would not be something that i would consider worthy of getting upset over. At this point it seems that people are just enjoying the memes though.

I don't know why you're playing this series if you're not heavily involved into the story and the characters, which are a huge part of the story or so defenders of ME2 tell me. Because this entire series has had combat ranging from terrible to sub-par for the shooter genre, really not a lot of exploration after the first game, and no other notable mechanics.

Dresden

seriously? this is ridiculous. The ending to a videogame would not be something that i would consider worthy of getting upset over. At this point it seems that people are just enjoying the memes though.

An average bad ending wouldn't elicit this kind of reaction.

It's the single worst ending I've ever seen or read.

Never saw the Matrix Trilogy?

Funny thing: Walters wanted the ending to be like the Matrix.

Also, at least with the Matrix trilogy, the ending didn't suddenly spring the dichotomy between those born into the Matrix and those born in the real world as the reason for the machines taking over.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

I can't think of a worse one off the top of my head.

Matrix? Eh. The whole 2-3rd parts were a mess.
Otherland? Same thing applies. Series started off great, ending up in shit.
I Am Legend? Sure, but you spend 2 hours tops with these characters. Not 90+.

People who finished the game will not buy DLC knowing the bad ending. Don´t make sense or feel good playing more side missions when everything end in that way.

Yea I am not sure what DLC they can entice me to buy at this point. And I bought ALL story based DLC for ME and ME2. I plan to just youtube anything else ME3 related.

I don't understand why they didn't have some form of "happy" ending even as a renegade. Either Shepard could have destroyed the Reapers like a boss, be declared the greatest modern war hero of all time and decide how to rule after that.

A sad ending could have been a conversation with Harbinger while he is on his last power laughing Predator style stating another wave of reapers were on the way. That would have been a great way to secure ME4 as well as make DLC to bridge the gap. Shepard could have been killed off in the beginning of ME4 and a new cycle could have started with the history of YOUR Shepard as a starting point.

pegaso

Neo Member
Well I mean yea. It sucks that you have to murder all geth and edi too, but destroy is the best ending. Synthesis is akin to existential rape. You change EVERY single living thing in the galaxy into a half synthetic being, sparing the reapers despite how many genocides they've done. I doubt the Quarians would be too happy either since, in a sense, they're basically half of what their life long enemies are. Control is just...blargh.

Yeah, murdering an entire race to get your revenge on another one that was trying to... murder entire races. That's Bioware logic, man.

Riggs

Banned
Did you read any of the last thread ... ? Indoctrinated Agent !

What is this? The franchise took itself seriously, and built a trilogy over 5 years that asked players to get invested in the experience. It's perfectly fine if people want to get upset if the ending is terrible in the same way that fans of a TV or movie series would. Being a videogame doesn't exclude it from criticism.

Patryn

Nah. The Dark Tower takes that prize for me. I can't even read the books in the series I like because it turns to such shit.

codhand

That Tali doll is madness. I no longer have to ask myself, who is that upset by the ME3 ending, now I know, and they can never be satisfied, ever.

Zeal

Banned
I still think an epic ending will come. Ain't even false hope at this point, it's just an inevitability.

Hold ye line.

Dresden

Nah. The Dark Tower takes that prize for me. I can't even read the books in the series I like because it turns to such shit.
I stopped giving a fuck after the terrible Wolves of the Calla, so it didn't hurt much either.

And I think a
reset end
ala Dark Tower is still more preferable to the one we got. It's a cop out, but at least a cop out doesn't destroy the universe.

Omega

Banned

I didn't. I thought the first one was stupid so I didn't bother watching the second or third. I honestly can't imagine it being worse than this.

This is by far the worst ending ever. No matter what you believe, the ending still doesn't answer anything and just brings more questions. Whether that's accepting Space Child has Reapers for his toys or that you're indoctrinated.

It blows my mind that anyone could be happy with this ending. Either you didn't care about the story/universe (which brings up the question, why have you even been playing? the gameplay is mediocre in the first two) or you simply weren't paying attention to the dialogue but than try to be condescending towards people who hate it.

Riggs

Banned
This is a Group Support thread. Most of us have moved into the Acceptance stage of grief and are enjoying the fallout the endings have cause.
Amen. At first Rebel Leader was going to charge 14.99 for hugs but he gave them for free. Not sure what this all means.

Riggs

Banned
I didn't. I thought the first one was stupid so I didn't bother watching the second or third. I honestly can't imagine it being worse than this.

This is by far the worst ending ever. No matter what you believe, the ending still doesn't answer anything and just brings more questions. Whether that's accepting Space Child has Reapers for his toys or that you're indoctrinated.

It blows my mind that anyone could be happy with this ending. Either you didn't care about the story/universe (which brings up the question, why have you even been playing? the gameplay is mediocre in the first two) or you simply weren't paying attention to the dialogue but than try to be condescending towards people who hate it.
100% on the ball today sir, well said. Take that indoctrinated agents!!

WanderingWind

I fully expected that same type of ending here, actually. They talked so much about cycles, and then how the Catalyst was a work going back millenia, with each cycle adding to it. I was sure Shepard was going to mash the button, something goes wrong, the Reapers destroy everything, save for a pocket of survivors.

Jump forward - oh, let's say 10,000 years - and somebody opens Liara's box that warns everybody about the Reapers in a non-cryptic way, with plenty of time to get the catalyst ready.

Ever see the end of the Path of Neo game? The end of the Matrix Trilogy was completely changed in the game to be more 'video gamey' (ironically something that Hudson wanted to avoid in ME3). It had to be trolling on their part based on people's reactions to the end of the movies.

A brand-new final battle, because the Wachowski brothers felt the ending of The Matrix Revolutions would be a "lame" ending for a video game. It is an alternate ending, without the martyr approach, where Neo kills Smith and then takes on the Mega-Smith, a gargantuan likeness of Smith composed of buildings, cars, Smith clones, and other debris from the city where the battle takes place. The player fights the Smith construct in a series of dodging thrown debris and plunging into the construct to severely damage sections of the Smith construct. Immediately before the final boss, the game is interrupted by the Wachowski Brothers (represented with single-color sprites similar to what might be found in a pre-8-bit video game) who congratulate the player, then explain their reasoning behind deviating from the movie's ending.

Following the battle, the game ends with the final cinematics from the conclusion of The Matrix Revolutions. Rather than the use of the film's next-to-final track, "Bridge of Immortality", from composer Don Davis's official score, the game's cut scenes use Queen's "We Are the Champions".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG4HVg7tgpg

Cyborg771

Neo Member

Whaaaaa? I loved the ending of the Dark Tower! Then again I liked the ending of Lost and accepted the ending of BSG begrudgingly.

AND I STILL HATED THE ME3 ENDING!

Use that as a measure of it's badness.

aesop

Funny thing: Walters wanted the ending to be like the Matrix.

Also, at least with the Matrix trilogy, the ending didn't suddenly spring the dichotomy between those born into the Matrix and those born in the real world as the reason for the machines taking over.

So he wanted it to be thrown together by a couple of hacks. Got it.

Another horrible ending that comes to mind is LOST.

Dresden said:
Still better than this ending.

(There was also no investment in the universe or characters by the time Revolution came around. It hurt much less.)

Fair enough. I watched Revolutions hoping they'd pull it together by the end, but I'm dumb like that.

Jhoan

Those Marauder Shields comics have had me rolling with laughter. The third one was hilarious. I'm amazed that in the course of three weeks this game has tons of memes already. I saw the other flavored endings; the thread title is awesome. Well played good sir.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Okay, so I wrote a wall post on the Mass Effect Facebook Page just outlining grievances and asking for a new ending; standard stuff.

The cool thing is I actually got a response:
NpHK5.png

EDIT: Browsing through the wall posts it seems that the page is actually commenting back to a lot of people. Not as awesome as I first thought :(

i-dfFJj7N-X2.jpg

dankir

I was happy with that there was Shepard gasped for air at the end fueling my belief that the entire "Good Destruction ending" was the best choice and that there will be a DLC continues right after that.

I'm pulling at strings but its all I got now. You guys were shitting on me last night because I was so happy with the ending and you were waiting for me to join the club. Which I have now lol.

Gotta be optimistic they'll do something to rectify it. They don't have to at all but I'm hoping they will.

Tokubetsu

The people bitching about the ending (myself included) weren't asking for unicorns and teddy bears. All we wanted was a coherent ending. Penny Arcade am fail.

Not just Penny Arcade, pretty much every gaming "journalist"/press figure has boiled this whole thing down to entitlement and "they just want a happy unicorn ending!"

I was happy with that there was Shepard gasped for air at the end fueling my belief that the entire "Good Destruction ending" was the best choice and that there will be a DLC continues right after that.

I'm pulling at strings but its all I got now. You guys were shitting on me last night because I was so happy with the ending and you were waiting for me to join the club. Which I had lol.

Gotta be optimistic they'll do something to rectify it. They don't have to at all but I'm hoping they will.

This is what I love about this, we see people come in here all happy about the endings and then it finally sinks end and they need group support.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Not just Penny Arcade, pretty much every gaming "journalist"/press figure has boiled this whole thing down to entitlement and "they just want a happy unicorn ending!"

Usually I don't get upset with gaming jurno's but they so wrong in this case.

WanderingWind

Despite people calling the Mordin/Legion/Thane stuff as the best parts of the game.

But we just want all happiness, all the time, right?

And still...fuck it. I did want a happy ending. I would settle for a coherent, non-destructive to the universe one.

What makes me laugh is that A HAPPY UNICORN ENDING WOULD'VE BEEN BETTER. They're acting like the ending we got was some sort of amazing game changer for the industry but hardcore fans are complaining because they wanted a space party. That's not the case at ALL.

JonnyBrad

I just saw the additional hubbub about Tali's face. Stock photo with a crap photoshop. They really weren't even trying were they!

Top Bottom