• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

Rufus

Again, you cannot approach this from your perspective, or from Shepard's perspective. From the reaper's perspective they are the ultimate evolution of synthetics. They are an inevitability. And, from the last conversation with star child, he says that synthetics exist again and will, again, war with organics. You can deny this from your perspective all you want, but that's what the reapers want you to believe, and what they'd want Sheperd to believe.
Sure, but you're not addressing what I said. What's with the species stored within them? Preserving them is part of the plan. Self-destruction seems awfully counter-productive.
To what you are saying: It's clear that at some time synthetics will be created again. You made it sound as though it's inevitable that Reapers specifically or something like them will exist again.

He wouldn't need to be convinced. He would literally become them. If you watch the scene, he becomes a synthetic. It's kind of like if someone walked a mile in your shoes they'd suddenly understand your life. That's kind of what I think this to be like.

And, again, every other cycle has had those indoctrinated arguing for controlling the reapers. They are obviously not concerned about this.
It looks no different than the synergy ending. His skin is clearly being burned off. He's subsequently fried until he completely disintegrates. Besides the question of how that actually puts him in control, which is another matter entirely, we are shown Shepard's immediate influence. The reapers leave, the current cycle is stopped or just put on hold. Presumably he finds another way preventing synthetics from wiping out organic life. One that doesn't involve harvesting them forcefully. So you think it's basically a trap and he'll see their ways are right after all?

I don't understand what the presence of indoctrinated loons has to do with them not being concerned about someone else modifying or possibly shutting down their spiel.

No one says there wouldn't be.

But essentially, in the reapers eyes, everyone would be perfect synthetics like them, with that ending. They would gain the perspective and the capabilities of the reapers.
But it is suggested. As you do right now. With their perspective and capabilities (green circuitry gives you enormous processing power, I assume?) there would be no need for harvesting.

Synthetic-Organic hybrids, you mean. So essentially, synergy achieves what they would have done immediately, without the need to harvest. I guess that's a solution.

Again, the problem is from the reapers perspective. From their perspective the synthetics represent perfection and order. Organics represent chaos and imperfection. They preserve organic life within themselves in order to create a hybrid of the two.
Yeah, I haven't forgotten. ...Why do you bring this up again?

Derrick01

Banned
RqmGc.png

Too much. It's too much. I'm dying.

This is extremely embarrassing for my hobby. These guys continue to just not get it.

Not only are many of them not even gamers anymore, they're fucking babies.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
This is extremely embarrassing for my hobby. These guys continue to just not get it.

Not only are many of them not even gamers anymore, they're fucking babies.
Anyone who criticises them is just "looking for attention" because they can't POSSIBLY be wrong.

The fact that he's talking to Jim FUCKING Sterling makes that conversation even more of a joke.

I'm genuinely embarrassed as a person who loves video games that such man-children work in this industry. I really am.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yes Steve Gaynor, it all comes down to entitled fans. That's exactly what this is all about.

RqmGc.png

Too much. It's too much. I'm dying.

Just when I think these people can't sink to a new low, they continue to impress me. Fuck you, you talentless hypocritical shills.

All you are doing is embarrassing yourselves further when you shit on someone who has actually taken the time to do their job properly. You know, the kind of thing you should be doing.

If the organisation you worked for had any journalistic standards you would be fired. Alas, this is not the case.

thetechkid

Did the choice about the collector's base even come up during the game because I don't think I saw one consequence from that. Also during the final show down with TIM the last the paragon/renegade option I had before I shot him were greyed out but I had full rep, did you need to be full 100% one way or the other for that?

Cagey

Banned
I'm so out of the loop. Can anyone be kind enough to give me a quick summary of what's going on?

Gaming journalists are revealing themselves to be nothing more than the more ignorant of the internet's message board and comments section denizens. Petty, bitter, butthurt when called out, etc.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm so out of the loop. Can anyone be kind enough to give me a quick summary of what's going on?

An editor on Forbes.com called out game reviewers on their shitty writing and the 8-10 scale and now "Games Journalists" are complaining about him, dismissing his complaints as just "attention seeking".

Because OBVIOUSLY they CAN'T BE WRONG. THEY'RE GAME JOURNALISTS!!!!!!!!

Btw, how did the entitled phrase come about?
It's an easy shorthand to dismiss people out of hand. Funny enough, some random guy on youtube talked about how the word is used in American politics in much the same way. It was posted in the first spoiler OT.

Did the choice about the collector's base even come up during the game because I don't think I saw one consequence from that. Also during the final show down with TIM the last the paragon/renegade option I had before I shot him were greyed out but I had full rep, did you need to be full 100% one way or the other for that?
The only thing it effects is the EMS score and a reference when you attack the Cerberus base.

1. Reviewers give glowing reviews of ME3, generally perfect scores, usually don't mention the ending. This also has nothing to do with the massive conflicts of interest that exist in the gaming journalism industry.

2. Many online express disappointment over the ending, giving well thought out reasons such as plotholes, out of character behaviour, lack of differences in endings and so on.

3. Most gaming 'journalists' instantly dismiss this as entitled whining, rather than looking at the merit of the arguments.

4. A few journalists out there who work for publications that actually seem to hold decent standards do their jobs properly by researching the complaints, as well as pointing out the crappy journalism seen elsewhere.

5. The mainstream sites get very pissed off about this and start with ad hominem attacks and strawmen against those who actually did their jobs.

TL;DR: Hacks get called out by competent journalists, get bitchy about it.

If you destroyed it, you get a war asset on the Illusive Man's base worth 100 points. If you saved it, you get a different one, worth 110 points.

Yeah, typical BioWare.

RDreamer

Sure, but you're not addressing what I said. What's with the species stored within them? Preserving them is part of the plan. Self-destruction seems awfully counter-productive.
As for losing the species inside them, yes it would be a bummer. That's why the destroy option is not what the AI/VI wants you to do. He's basically saying "Well you could do what you came here for and use the crucible in the way it was intended, but...." People do this in debates all the time when trying to coerce their enemy into siding with them. Yeah you could go your way, but this thing will totally happen.

To what you are saying: It's clear that at some time synthetics will be created again. You made it sound as though it's inevitable that Reapers specifically or something like them will exist again.

Again, it's all about perspective. If you believe you are literally inevitable in the sense of being absolute perfection in existence, then you will believe that your form will eventually exist again.

But it's also their assertion that synthetics will eventually always rebel against the organics and destroy them. That assertion, while partially proved wrong on a micro scale in the game may very well be true on a macro scale. If you look at the Prothean view on synthetics and the fact that they were banned throughout galactic civilization in this cycle, too. The reapers have also obviously been around a lot longer and have a lot more data on how things work, too.

It looks no different than the synergy ending. His skin is clearly being burned off. He's subsequently fried until he completely disintegrates. Besides the question of how that actually puts him in control, which is another matter entirely, we are shown Shepard's immediate influence. The reapers leave, the current cycle is stopped or just put on hold. Presumably he finds another way preventing synthetics from wiping out organic life. One that doesn't involve harvesting them forcefully. So you think it's basically a trap and he'll see their ways are right after all?

I don't understand what the presence of indoctrinated loons has to do with them not being concerned about someone else modifying or possibly shutting down their spiel.

When indoctrinated people are under reaper control. If every cycle has indoctrinated that argue for controlling the reapers then the option of controlling the reapers is highly suspect. It is obvious they don't fear it, because they are actively trying to get you to do it. My thought on it is that it's kind of like a literal walk a mile in someone else's shoes type thing.

I'm not sure I necessarily think it's for sure a trap. I think that this is part of the discussion that the writers intended to happen when they chose that to be one of the endings. I think they wanted a debate to happen on the merits of controlling them vs not controlling them. But controlling them was portrayed throughout the games as bad. That was essentially what the illusive man was trying to do. It's portrayed as a sort of arrogance or naiveté to believe you could take control of those things.

But it is suggested. As you do right now. With their perspective and capabilities (green circuitry gives you enormous processing power, I assume?) there would be no need for harvesting.

Synthetic-Organic hybrids, you mean. So essentially, synergy achieves what they would have done immediately, without the need to harvest. I guess that's a solution.

Right, it achieves the synergy without having to harvest. Everyone is "perfect" (from their perspective), and that solves their problem immediately.

1. Reviewers give glowing reviews of ME3, generally perfect scores, usually don't mention the ending. This also has nothing to do with the massive conflicts of interest that exist in the gaming journalism industry.

2. Many online express disappointment over the ending, giving well thought out reasons such as plotholes, out of character behaviour, lack of differences in endings and so on.

3. Most gaming 'journalists' instantly dismiss this as entitled whining, rather than looking at the merit of the arguments.

4. A few journalists out there who work for publications that actually seem to hold decent standards do their jobs properly by researching the complaints, as well as pointing out the crappy journalism seen elsewhere.

5. The mainstream sites get very pissed off about this and start with ad hominem attacks and strawmen against those who actually did their jobs.

TL;DR: Hacks get called out by competent journalists, get bitchy about it.

Pretty much this, but Forbes also completely trolled IGN's Moriarty by pointing out he is a hypocrite.

Basically he praised how awesome Suckerpunch was for changing their game, but Bioware suggesting they will provide clarification (rather than actually fix the problems) set him into a rage.

Another "journalist" also got revealed to be the same, but I can't remember who it was.

I actually think Armond White, for all of his trolling, would be a supporting argument in this ME 3 debacle. His negative reviews drag down Rotten Tomatoes scores. And you know what, that's okay. Review aggregators serve a useful purpose, but people value them so much. At the end of the day, White's reviews dragging down The Dark Knight's Tomato Meter score doesn't matter. It shouldn't matter both to the subjective personal quality of that film, or the objective quality as bestowed arbitrarily by industry awards shows. In the context of this whole issue, Armond White serves as an example of how review aggregators are held in too much esteem.

RyanDG

Hey I said a little bit. Nothing can be as bad as our industry's media. Hell they're not even media anymore, they're just extensions of companies' PR now.

My comment would've made more sense if I had the right reviewer listed. :p

I will say one thing that's kind of funny about this whole situation... It really goes to show that some people really don't want to see this industry grow outside of a multi-million dollar 'toy' industry.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
He found out you need a little bit of journalistic integrity to work in the movie industry?
More like he found out that there's no money writing about movies and decided to go hang out with his friends instead. lol

Like or hate Armond White, he can at least justify his opinions in a manner that doesn't involve shitting on his critics with ad hominem attacks.

BIG CHOICES!
CONSEQUENCES (tm)

I give up.

Fuck video games. Just fuck them.

I think I need to play Journey or something, because I realized that both BioWare and "Game Journalists" are making me hate this hobby with a passion.

Stop stressing. Seriously...Navarro and Sterling (and a number of others in the gaming) media are acting as if their opinion matters more than some one else.

If they really want to believe this is a significantly large group of "over-entitled" people...that's their opinion.

It's wrong...but I'm not exactly unusual for Navarro or Sterling to be wrong.

What the gaming media is forgetting is that we're the ones providing hits for their sites. They would do well to show a little more wisdom and restraint.

Yes Steve Gaynor, it all comes down to entitled fans. That's exactly what this is all about.

Its so appalling to me that so many "journalists" and even developers don't get the difference between a player driven RPG like Mass Effect and your completely passive forms of entertainment like a TV show or a book or a movie. Or even most other video games where the player has no narrative control.

But thats not Mass Effect.

Mass Effect isn't Lost. Its not the Sopranos. Its not Uncharted or Metal Gear Solid. Its a player driven RPG where the player often has multiple choices in where the story develops and what events happen and what characters live or die. As a developer of that type of game and as a developer who promised drastically divergent endings, thats why Mass Effect 3's ending is a totally inexcusable clusterfuck. Plus the fact that it makes zero fucking sense based on the established lore within the IP and just on a basic storytelling level.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Stop stressing. Seriously...Navarro and Sterling (and a number of others in the gaming) media are acting as if their opinion matters more than some one else.

If they really want to believe this is a significantly large group of "over-entitled" people...that's their opinion.

What the gaming media is forgetting is that we're the ones providing hits for their sites. They would do well to show a little more wisdom and restraint.

Yeah, I know. I just need to stop caring about these guys entirely.

Replicant

We need to have one giant media shitlist so we'll remember which media we need to stay away from next time. Everyone should add to it. I'll start:

Destructoid
IGN

Rufus

As for losing the species inside them, yes it would be a bummer. That's why the destroy option is not what the AI/VI wants you to do.
That would mean it's lying, but if it is, why doesn't it just not let him access it? We see walkways pop up on either side of the central beam. Just keep those lowered. Or don't even mention the 'buttons'. There's no way he would get to them, neither could he even deduce with any certainty what they do.

The reapers have also obviously been around a lot longer and have a lot more data on how things work, too.
Still doesn't make it a foregone conclusion if you reap them before the synthetics show any sign of wanting to eradicate all organics. We don't know when they set their clock at 50,000 years, whether they always did this or if they had an extended period of observing the patterns.
The games went out of their way to show that the Geth were the Reapers' instruments, that they were literally manipulated by the Reapers and that whenever they were hostile to organics otherwise it was to defend themselves. It just sucks that you can't call Star Child on this crap. Have it defend it the way you do here. I'd still think it's flawed reasoning, but it's be a lot better than Shep just accepting it as fact. The ending of the game is not the time to lampshade this kind of stuff.

I'm not sure I necessarily think it's for sure a trap. I think that this is part of the discussion that the writers intended to happen when they chose that to be one of the endings. I think they wanted a debate to happen on the merits of controlling them vs not controlling them.
I don't think this is quite what they got, then, because we aren't doing that.

Right, it achieves the synergy without having to harvest. Everyone is "perfect" (from their perspective), and that solves their problem immediately.
So why not just do that immediately then? Tell Shep this is the only solution, he'll do it without much protest, it seems. He believes everything he's told by Star Child.

That sounds like the Reapers win and get their way, but without effort.

Yeah, It's what the Reapers want and space kid even calls it the best option. They just apparently needed the life energy of someone as awesome as Shepard to make it happen.

Everything they've been doing until that moment was just preserving organic life until a proper specimen of organic life proved they were badass enough to make spacemagic a reality.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
As someone who is game press (though on a significantly smaller scale than the mentioned), a part of me really dislikes putting everybody who works at the same establishment under one umbrella. It, to me, just echoes the over generalisation that the writers in question are doing to those complaining (eg: entitled whiners).

It also detracts from direct criticism of the people causing problems. Rather than call Destructoid the entity out on bullshit, I'd rather call Sterling out on his.

GSR

I believe if you have very low EMS, you'll be locked into Control if you saved the base and Destroy if you destroyed it. As for the last confrontation with TIM, I think you need to have taken every possible Charm/Intimidate option with him up to that point - some of them are hidden behind investigate-style questions, so you may have missed one.

Top Bottom