• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

Omega

Banned
Of all the things, the one thing which I hate the most is the vent kid.
Why? Why does Shepard has such an attachment to the kid...even more than his friends like Mordin, Thane, Miranda?

The moment I saw the vent kid die in the demo, I shrugged thinking how cheaply it tried to evoke an emotional response from the player. The player doesn't knows the character, the player hadn't even met the kid until that point, yet for some reason throughout the course of the game we are supposed to feel so much for him, more than Shepard's friend, just because he is a kid.

Such a lousy piece of writing.

This is what I want to know. I can look past that shit ending, I just want to know why the fuck this kid was added. It was so insulting. If they were going to kill Anderson, why not just kill him in the beginning? Everyone else dies except Anderson and Space Jesus, so why not? It would have done a better job symbolizing all the people on Earth that are dying and Shepard can't save

Your love interest or some other character could have replaced Anderson in TIM confrontation. Maybe Garrus. Shooting Garrus, who is like a brother would get the point across just perfectly fine.

A better question is, why the fuck is The Catalyst also this same piece of shit 6 year old?

Every instance of synthetic life that you actually encounter in the trilogy, save for the Reapers, is either able to form a peaceful relationship with organics, or simply wants to live its life in peace. Every instance in which a non-Reaper synthetic attacks an organic, it is portrayed as a newly-awakened AI being confused and not understanding what's happening to it, as self-defense/retaliation for an act of unprovoked aggression perpetrated by an organic, or as a direct order from a Reaper.

The game's stance on the coexistence of organic and synthetic life is crystal fucking clear, and it's reinforced multiple times across all three games. The ending pretends that none of this happens, and the only way you can justify it is by making imaginary shit up that isn't actually part of the story.
Exactly.

Starchild: What are you going to believe? Me, or your lying eyes?

RDreamer

H
But that option kills all of the geth and killed EDI and that invalidates the established themes in the rest of the series.

But that option also validates one of the themes of this game that it would take large sacrifices and untold deaths in order to defeat the reapers.

Really, it's all a written setup. They wrote the parts with the Geth and EDI in order to get you sympathetic toward synthetic life and view it as highly as organic so that when they told you the consequences of using the crucible you'd feel terrible about having to do it.

Lime

But that option also validates one of the themes of this game that it would take large sacrifices and untold deaths in order to defeat the reapers.

Really, it's all a written setup. They wrote the parts with the Geth and EDI in order to get you sympathetic toward synthetic life and view it as highly as organic so that when they told you the consequences of using the crucible you'd feel terrible about having to do it.

I actually think they just inserted the "Geth and EDI will also die" in order to not make the decision clear-cut. Like Walters & Hudson going: "oh shit, that would be too easy. Let's kill some of Shepard's allies just to even out the choices."

DTKT

Still a dumb story choice.

*In fact, the Crucible is dumb, all 3 options are kind of all bad in their own ways. I hate everything.

thetechkid

I actually think they just inserted the "Geth and EDI will also die" in order to not make the decision clear-cut. Like Walters & Hudson going: "oh shit, that would be too easy. Let's kill some of Shepard's allies just to even out the choices."

Who would chose anything other than the "THE WHOLE POINT OF THIS GAME" choice if they did that?

Exactly.

Starchild: What are you going to believe? Me, or your lying eyes?

I totally just went with what the Starchild told me. After a solid 25 hours of, "WE HAVE TO STOP THE REAPERS! AND ALSO WE CAN'T CONTROL THEM!" my Shepard was like, "Shit, I really can control them? Neat."

My Shepard was always far too trusting.

Karl2177

Now that I've had more time to think about it, I think the worst part of Mass Effect 3 is how the Reapers became bitches. I can accept the fact that Bioware shit the ending up, but one of the coolest enemies I've ever fought in a video game just became a bitch to a space child.

Moral of Mass Effect 3: Fuck Bioware and their lies.

I don't think that word means what you think it means in the context of game development.

I highly doubt that they set out to fool anyone. Things gets cut during production, it's a sad but true fact. Even Valve does this.

Now that I've had more time to think about it, I think the worst part of Mass Effect 3 is how the Reapers became bitches. I can accept the fact that Bioware shit the ending up, but one of the coolest enemies I've ever fought in a video game just became a bitch to a space child.

So does the reaper's kicking Shepard's ass mean s/he's a super bitch?

Rapstah

Is there a reason for why Star Child's voice is an amalgam of femshep and maleshep? AND DON'T SAY INDOCTRINATION.

They would be the most booked voice actors. They could also have just used the symbolism intentionally without it actually meaning something.

"Do we use Steve Blum for the chorus by the kid?"
"Well, there's him... and the male Shepard guy... oh man, I just totally had this art-y idea".

danwarb

Space kid is a Reaper and Shepard is his bitch.

DTKT

I don't think that word means what you think it means in the context of game development.

I highly doubt that they set out to fool anyone. Things gets cut during production, it's a sad but true fact. Even Valve does this.

Yeah, but they still come out with a great product.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Is there a reason for why Star Child's voice is an amalgam of femshep and maleshep? AND DON'T SAY INDOCTRINATION.

Because the Catalyst is speaking THROUGH YOUR MIND.

How else could it take on the form of some random earth kid that Shep cared way too much about without any in-game buildup?

Lime

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/355/index/10056886/1

Interviewer: [Regarding the numerous possible endings of Mass Effect 2] “Is that
same type of complexity built into the ending of Mass Effect 3?”
Hudson: “Yeah, and I’d say much more so, because we have the ability to
build the endings out in a way that we don’t have to worry about
eventually tying them back together somewhere. This story arc is
coming to an end with this game. That means the endings can be a lot
more different. At this point we’re taking into account so many
decisions that you’ve made as a player and reflecting a lot of that
stuff. It’s not even in any way like the traditional game endings,
where you can say how many endings there are or whether you got
ending A, B, or C.....The endings have a lot more sophistication and
variety in them.
”

“You'll get answers to everything. That was one of the key things. Regardless
of how we did everything, we had to say, yes, we're going to provide
some answers to these people.”

“Because a lot of these plot threads are concluding and because it's being
brought to a finale, since you were a part of architecting how they
got to how they were, you will definitely sense how they close was
because of the decisions you made and because of the decisions you
didn't make”

etc.

The point was that "lie" implies malicious intent, not the quality of the finished product.

Are you telling us that you didn't feel like Bioware was trying to hurt you in any way? I thought Casey Hudson was out to kill me for a while.

I kid, I had a lot of fun playing Mass Effect 3 and I'll probably do it again when I have another billion hours to spare.

Because the Catalyst is speaking THROUGH YOUR MIND.

How else could it take on the form of some random earth kid that Shep cared way too much about without any in-game buildup?

How does he know what FemShep sounds like when you you play as Male Shepard and vice versa.

INDOCTRINATION

Are you telling us that you didn't feel like Bioware was trying to hurt you in any way? I thought Casey Hudson was out to kill me for a while.

Don't joke about that. I just had to drive a stake through his heart because he was stalking me, because 12 years ago, he raped my mom.

I was going to go with a "well, they did rape my childhood" joke, but that would have been too easy for the Negative Nancies to turn into a hate arc.

Metroidvania

How does he know what FemShep sounds like when you you play as Male Shepard and vice versa.

INDOCTRINATION

No, it's obvious through its control of the reapers, the catalyst caught Shep's expression of anguish when the Normandy was leaving through the cameras on board the reaper that blew up the kid's ship.

Thus, the catalyst chose the kid's form as something that would be understandable and relatable to Shepard in order to have him/her making the best possible choice for the galaxy. It used its super catalyst powers to synthesize shepard's voice as a male and female to be calming and soothing.

Geez, you idoctrination people.

lol

Omega

Banned
The moral of Mass Effect 3: Your decisions are not meaningless because of an inevitable and unpleasent end.

Yeah they are.

Most people accepted that Shep was going to die and that the ending wasn't going to be organics destroying Reapers. An inevitable and unpleasant ending isn't why people are saying nothing matters.

However, that ending killed the series. There is nothing they can do. It's a definitive end to the series. If there's one thing game "journalists" and ME fans agree on, it's that. They've said, we've said.

The series is dead.

DarkKyo

Yeah they are.

Most people accepted that Shep was going to die and that the ending wasn't going to be organics destroying Reapers. An inevitable and unpleasant ending isn't why people are saying nothing matters.

However, that ending killed the series. There is nothing they can do. It's a definitive end to the series. If there's one thing game "journalists" and ME fans agree on, it's that. They've said, we've said.

The series is dead.

So are all the decisions you make in your life meaningless because of an inevitable and unpleasant end?

Don't joke about that. I just had to drive a stake through his heart because he was stalking me, because 12 years ago, he raped my mom.

I was going to go with a "well, they did rape my childhood" joke, but that would have been too easy for the Negative Nancies to turn into a hate arc.

Wow? Total, full on rape? He only drove by and yelled vulgar remarks at my mom...

Metroidvania

So are all the decisions you make in your life meaningless because of an inevitable and unpleasant end?

Should the third video game of a series break tradition from its predecessors thematically 'good triumphs given enough batman-level preparation' endings in order to give a bleak, incomprehensible, non-conclusive high-art, 'none of your decisions mattered, now pick a color' ending just to be different?

DTKT

No, but it's Bioware intent to not make ME4. They said as much.

And really, while some of the amazing moments of ME3 are not "bad" because of the ending, I can certainly say that I would have taken a well-presented and constructed ending over the current one.

Top Bottom