• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

DTKT

Then Mass Effect is an allegory for the cycles in real life and it works in that way :p
It doesn't matter what you do and what you choose because you can't avoid fate no matter how you approach it.

That's pretty stupid since Shepard stopped the inevitable end of the Galaxy by fighting the Reapers.

:|

That's pretty stupid since Shepard stopped the inevitable end of the Galaxy by fighting the Reapers.

:|

By destroying the galaxy. They secretly tricked him/her into starting a new cycle he/she just didn't know it at the time.

Edit: My most recent post make it sound like I'm on the Indoctrination bandwagon. Trust me I'm not.

So are all the decisions you make in your life meaningless because of an inevitable and unpleasant end?

If they aren't it's because the consequences of those decisions live on after that end. In mass effect 3 they don't, you save or condemn entire species, and broker alliances to bring together a galactic civilization that is erased from existence at the end no matter what.

danwarb

If they aren't it's because the consequences of those decisions live on after that end. In mass effect 3 they don't, you save or condemn entire species, and broker alliances to bring together a galactic civilization that is erased from existence at the end no matter what.

There's no stopping the ultimate end. And the Mass Effect universe survives the Reapers to rebuild. And eventually, some old guy tells a kid a story.

Then Mass Effect is an allegory for the cycles in real life and it works in that way :p
It doesn't matter what you do and what you choose because you can't avoid fate no matter how you approach it.

SHOCKING NEWS: Mac Walters and Casey Hudson reveal that the Mass Effect 3 ending is based off a poor execution of soft determinism, which they giddily applied after learning about it in the Philosophy 101 online course they were taking together in November 2011. None of the other writers were smart enough to grasp their high-minded intentions, and were promptly shut out in the name of Art(TM).

Lime

SHOCKING NEWS: Mac Walters and Casey Hudson reveal that the Mass Effect 3 ending is based off a poor execution of soft determinism, which they giddily applied after learning about it in the Philosophy 101 online course they were taking together in November 2011. None of the other writers were smart enough to grasp their high-minded intentions, and were promptly shut out in the name of Art(TM).

Post of the thread.

thetechkid

iITtAI74i2Hpy.gif

Omega

Banned
So are all the decisions you make in your life meaningless because of an inevitable and unpleasant end?

Yes, let's compare real life death to a video game character's death..

Not to mention I clearly said in the second sentence, that's not why people are saying those decisions are meaningless.

MultiCore

So I got a refund from Amazon on the DD version after I hit the 'ending'.

Not happy at all. What happened to KOTOR, Jade Empire, or hell, ME2? Is it that hard for them to end a game/trilogy well?

DarkKyo

So I got a refund from Amazon on the DD version after I hit the 'ending'.

Not happy at all. What happened to KOTOR, Jade Empire, or hell, ME2? Is it that hard for them to end a game/trilogy well?

I love how gamers feel so entitled that they "deserve" a refund for disliking 1% of an entire game they played. Ridiculous.

Was just looking at the Mass Effect 3 artbook that came with the collectors edition and I discovered that Thessia is based in my city, Valencia.
That would probably explain why I had more feelings when Thessia was being destroyed than the earth scene at the start. lol

Also this marks the second time this gen that art designers have use L'Hemispheric building as inspiration, with ME3 and Assassins Creed Revelations.

I fucking lost it in Shepard I'm a Reaper Doomsday Device Oh Sh1t!
OMG, my mouth hurts.

Mark Meer is awesome. <3
He is also the voice of Blasto.

Karl2177

I love how gamers feel so entitled that they "deserve" a refund for disliking 1% of an entire game they played. Ridiculous.

You think you're so entitled to call someone entitled. Sheesh. I'm entitled enough to entitle entitlement on to other entitled folk. Entitled.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
Someone make more gifs from that vid. Like when Shepard looks at Aria and Aller's breasts.

It's the most disgraceful thing I've heard in ages. Any of you refunders moan about dlc prices, day one dlc, game prices etc, you've got it coming to you after this precedent: if a company thinks you can get a refund for not liking the end of a 30 hour product, they're going to rob you blind as early as they can.

Massa

The reapers pretty much destroy everything before the end of the game, don't they? For example Thessia, although for some reason I was getting the blame for that one.

People are focusing on the end too much, imo the main problem with ME3's story starts with its premise and the very first mission on Earth.

inky

If anything, it's Amazon who are feeling entitled by offering the refunds in the first place (which is standard policy for games, not only Mass Effect).

What entitles them to give you back some money? Fuck these entitled retailers these days. Ridiculous.

Dresden

It's the most disgraceful thing I've heard in ages. Any of you refunders moan about dlc prices, day one dlc, game prices etc, you've got it coming to you after this precedent: if a company thinks you can get a refund for not liking the end of a 30 hour product, they're going to rob you blind as early as they can.

lmao

DarkKyo

Next time I'm at a restaurant with my friends I'm going to tell them we're not paying for dinner and desert because we didn't like the cherry on top of the sundae at the end.

Zek

Contempt For Challenge
The ending itself was stupid in a lot of ways, but a lot of games have stupid endings, that part I can accept. What made it feel like a ripoff by Bioware was how trivial the branches really are, in a franchise that up until that point always placed an incredibly huge emphasis on choice. I laughed out loud when I youtubed the other endings afterwards and found out that all three ending cinematics are 90% the same, just with a different colored explosion. That's just insulting. Why does the blue control-explosion evaporate the reapers floating in space? Why doesn't anything happen to anyone in the synthesis ending? And why is any of it impacted by your galactic readiness? It's clear that they just wrote a single Destroy ending and then hastily cooked up a few alternatives at the last minute.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Next time I'm at a restaurant with my friends I'm going to tell them we're not paying for dinner and desert because we didn't like the cherry on top of the sundae at the end.

If you were promised an excellent, flavorful cherry but instead it caused you to throw up your entire meal...

God, fuck this thread and its stupid analogies.

Coxswain

Next time someone confuses "This writing is bad and here are the reasons it doesn't work from a storytelling perspective:" with "But I just don't like it wahh" I'm going to make a post pointing it out.

DTKT

We had a burger analogy for the day 1 DLC. That didn't work.

But really, you call the ending a cherry in a character and story driven game? Nice job!

Not sure if serious, but...

Proper analogy: Next time I'm at a restaurant with my friends, I'm going to tell them we're not paying for dinner because I ordered Sensible Conclusion cake for desert and instead received Contrived Shit pie, courtesy of the chef himself, Star Child. While I was being forced to eat Contrived Shit pie, which retrospectively tainted the flavor of an otherwise tasty dinner, my friends abandoned me, but it's cool, because I used space magic to make their car break down along the forested highway where bears will surely maul their cheap asses.

Massa

Next time someone confuses "This writing is bad and here are the reasons it doesn't work from a storytelling perspective:" with "But I just don't like it wahh" I'm going to make a post pointing it out.

At least it would be a post with content instead of another snarky reply, which is all this thread seems to be about.

Top Bottom