• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I thought the section where you had a chance to talk to all of the major characters at base was just a great set up. I'll just try to pretend my Shepard died on the way to the Citadel and Garrus managed to finish the job. There was no child god that made him choose between 3 shitty endings. The Reaper's just blew the fuck up in the best fireworks show the Milkyway has ever seen.

i thought it was such a step down from 2's suicide mission or taking back the citadel in 1 though. The whole ending sequence felt rushed and unimaginative.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Except . . . Amazon chose to honor it. And has done so for other games.

Maybe you should go tell them that they're entitling the hilarious entitlement of gamers.

Really, what other games? Also, Amazon should be replying "lol, gtfo" to people who are asking for a refund because of the ending, but since they're too polite to do so, I'm happy to take care of that for them.

Coxswain

i thought it was such a step down from 2's suicide mission or taking back the citadel in 1 though. The whole ending sequence felt rushed and unimaginative.

I thought that it was a good first half of a final mission, like the ME3 equivalent of Ilos before actually storming the Citadel itself.

DarkKyo

What part of EDI is organic? HER ROBO WOMB?

How does the space magic differentiate between Synthetics and like, the robot arm that manufactures cars in a factory. Are they now alive, screaming like Dumpy the Wasteman?

kfY7Q.jpg

The make-up of her body's matter is half organic. Not just one part of her, her entire being.

It's obvious that a robot arm either wouldn't change, or it wouldn't matter if it changed because it does not have a conscious mind. EDI is a fully conscious AI so her merging with organic material makes sense. The Geth are all half-organic now as well. A cell phone may have gained organic properties but it doesn't matter because it's not even sentient. A non-sentient item gaining organic properties does not magically make it sentient.

I'm not angry. I just think it's hilariously entitled and that people who are asking for a refund should be embarrassed for asking the retailer to take the hit. Also I've never been to a theater that will let you sit through the entire movie and then get a refund. I've also never been to a restaurant that will let you eat the entire meal and then let you walk out without paying since you didn't like the way dessert tasted.

Have you asked? I've worked in both of those situations and it's both common and expected. It's not even rude, if asked nice enough. Which is what's being done here (Mostly).

The retailer refund thing, Amazon allows refunds on all products, regardless of state, if you're unsatisfied with them. It's always been a part of their business and it's always rocked. If there's some aspect of this that I'm not grasping, let me know here, but asking Amazon for a refund...and Amazon saying 'Yeah sure'...isn't an issue?

The Ilos/Vigil and the final Citadel section of ME 1 was the highest point in the series for me. Mass Effect's ending was one of the best I can remember in recent years.

Cagey

Banned
Have you asked? I've worked in both of those situations and it's both common and expected. It's not even rude, if asked nice enough. Which is what's being done here (Mostly).

The retailer refund thing, Amazon allows refunds on all products, regardless of state, if you're unsatisfied with them. It's always been a part of their business and it's always rocked. If there's some aspect of this that I'm not grasping, let me know here, but asking Amazon for a refund...and Amazon saying 'Yeah sure'...isn't an issue?

It's an issue because we must attack people's character for availing themselves of an already existing return policy!

zroid

Banned
Well, I finally finished it. That... sure was... something.

The game was very good, mostly. It seemed to frequently exhibit a certain lack of polish in many areas, although the gameplay improvements over ME2 were welcome.

I don't really have much to say about the ending. It was fine, I guess. I'm not happy, but that obviously was not BioWare's intent. What bugs me most, aside from how things started to take a trip to magical fairy clichésville, is that I couldn't get the best ending scene(s) or even charm The Illusive Man, despite doing pretty much everything in the game -- except multiplayer.

When I finished ME2, the very first thing I did was start up a newgame+ and go through it again. I loved that game. Here... I don't know when I'll go back to it. I'm sure I will at some point, because there's so much great content that you can't possibly get to experience in a single playthrough.

But at the moment, there's no motivation at all. Looking forward to jumping into Tales of Graces f now, and then Xenoblade in a couple weeks.

The make-up of her body's matter is half organic. Not just one part of her, her entire being.

It's obvious that a robot arm either wouldn't change, or it wouldn't matter if it changed because it does not have a conscious mind. EDI is a fully conscious AI so her merging with organic material makes sense. The Geth are all half-organic now as well. A cell phone may have gained organic properties but it doesn't matter because it's not even sentient. A non-sentient item gaining organic properties does not magically make it sentient.

Everything is affected, including leaves and hats, shouldn't rocks and dirt be affected too?

Well, I finally finished it. That... sure was... something.

The game was very good, mostly. It seemed to frequently exhibit a certain lack of polish in many areas, although the gameplay improvements over ME2 were welcome.

I don't really have much to say about the ending. It was fine, I guess. I'm not happy, but that obviously was not BioWare's intent. What bugs me most, aside from how things started to take a trip to magical fairy clichésville, is that I couldn't get the best ending scene(s) or even charm The Illusive Man, despite doing pretty much everything in the game -- except multiplayer.

When I finished ME2, the very first thing I did was start up a newgame+ and go through it again. I loved that game. Here... I don't know when I'll go back to it. I'm sure I will at some point, because there's so much great content that you can't possibly get to experience in a single playthrough.

But at the moment, there's no motivation at all. Looking forward to jumping into Tales of Graces f now, and then Xenoblade in a couple weeks.

If I recall, you need to have chosen the Paragon/Renegade option with him during every conversation you ever had with him. Or something to that effect.

Cagey

Banned
HOW DARE THEY TAKE ADVANTAGE OF RETAILER OFFERED POLICIES TO PROTECT AGAINST JUST SUCH AN OCCASION.

Entitled children, all of them! You're supposed to grin and bear it when you feel slighted by a gaming company, and then bitch about it on the internet later! You're not supposed to do anything, let alone avail yourself of a retailer's previously established and always offered refund policy!

Action beyond anonymous internet complaining goes against gamer code brah.

Apparently 95% of this thread disagrees with us.

I don't know how GAF can be against piracy but be for stupid bullshit like this which is essentially pretty similar. Not paying for a product yet gleefully consuming the entire product.

Well.........

And a lot of people weren't demanding a refund, many would agree you're not entitled to a full refund, BUT Amazon OFFERED a full refund, if people didn't think they were going to play it again, they returned it for free. I don't see the problem in that.

I'm not angry. I just think it's hilariously entitled and that people who are asking for a refund should be embarrassed for asking the retailer to take the hit. Also I've never been to a theater that will let you sit through the entire movie and then get a refund. I've also never been to a restaurant that will let you eat the entire meal and then let you walk out without paying since you didn't like the way dessert tasted.

I see your point, but there are different business models at work, here. For one, the movie theater doesn't make any claims about the movies it offers you, it simply offers them. Thus, they have no obligation to your satisfaction. If a restaurant (which is a better example, anyway) advertises a certain desert, and it comes out half-cooked (and thus bad-tasting), then you have the right to demand a refund for the desert, or at least demand a new desert.

The problem is, there is no way to divide a game into monetary units so that we can get our money back for only the ending. But unlike the movie theater, Bioware did make various and definite claims about the product, and particularly the endings. They should feel obligated, at least if they want anyone to trust them enough to give them $60 for a whole experience. But since there is no way to receive an amount of money back relative to the parts that were bold-faced lies, the next best thing is to return the entire game. If the industry wants people to accept its products wholesale, then consumers should have the right to return the products wholesale. If they don't like that system, they should devise a different way to conduct transactions.

luxarific

Nork unification denier

No, that's not the issue - it's people who are taking advantage of Amazon's policy that I'm laughing at. Playing through the entire game and then asking for a refund because you hated the ending? Really? It's just....pathetic. I understand asking for a refund if you get to the first battle and realize you hate the gameplay. But playing through the entire game and then asking for a refund is a thinly-veiled attempt to play the game for free. If you have a problem with the ending bring it up with Bioware. Don't take advantage of Amazon's generosity and willingness to cater to your entitlement.

Or at least have the self-respect to admit that you feel entitled to an ending you like on the games you purchase. Entitled enough to demand a refund from a retailer because you didn't like the ending of a game you played all the way through.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
I thought that it was a good first half of a final mission, like the ME3 equivalent of Ilos before actually storming the Citadel itself.

Ilos had an atmosphere Earth lacked. It was so gray, unfuturistic and boring. Not how I thought a ruined future London would look. All i can think is gray blocks and red phone booths.

Wait, in 2 as well?

And I'm pretty sure I did that in 3, but no dice.

Not sure what other variables there are. I did Renegade options in 2 with him. But I destroyed the Collector Base, then did Paragon every time in 3 and had full Reputation meter (mostly Paragon) at the end of 3. Successfully Saren'd him.

Zeliard

It's a shame Bioware dropped the ball on the whole Catalyst thing because the concept of ending the game with dialogue and a choice is a great one. It should have ideally been a much more complex dialogue tree with some hard Paragon/Renegade checks that aren't just based on your reputation meter, but also previous choices.

As many have said, if you did save both the Geth and Quarians (which itself required certain choices to have been made even back in ME2), you should have been able to bring that fact up to the Catalyst, which would have offered additional ways to go forward.

Stuff like that would have been very neat. I would say it's asking too much of Bioware but they basically did do that to a lesser extent with the Geth/Quarian choice itself. Many people never even got the Paragon/Renegade options there so they had to make a difficult decision. They should have done something like that with the final choice of the trilogy if anything (they did it a little bit with the Synergy option, which I understand not everyone got, but it didn't really affect much).

I can't believe that some people actually wanted some big final boss fight with Harbinger. This ain't Contra. We had a fight against a Reaper at the end of ME2 and it sucked.

I can't believe that some people actually wanted some big final boss fight with Harbinger. This ain't Contra. We had a fight against a Reaper at the end of ME2 and it sucked.

Imagine the last episode of Gurren Laggen, but replace the Anti-Spiral with Harbringer, and Gurren Laggen with a transformed Normandy.

Best ending ever.

Wait, in 2 as well?

And I'm pretty sure I did that in 3, but no dice.

The first time you encounter TIM in mars, the paragon/renagade option is hidden behind an investigation option in the dialog wheel.
The thing is, and thats why many people didnt click it, that the "investigation" option they give, being one of the first options like that in ME3, sounds like its not investgating more about the matter, but that its only another option more for the normal paragon/renagade options (like if it was a neutral one), hence the majority of people not finding the hidden dialog with TIM.

zroid

Banned
If I recall, you need to have chosen the Paragon/Renegade option with him during every conversation you ever had with him. Or something to that effect.

Maybe you had to be consistent, because I definitely picked the blue/red options every time, but tended to take a bit of both. Who knows.

In general, the endgame was just really obtuse, and that's one example. It seems like BioWare didn't fully commit to whatever ideas they had, and we ended up with something half-complete. Nobody really seems to know what they needed to do to accomplish certain goals, and just playing the game like you did in previous instalments was apparently no longer enough.

Tell Karlos the Reaper I said hi.

lol

The first time you encounter TIM in mars, the paragon/renagade option is hidden behind an investigation option in the dialog wheel.
The thing is, and thats why many people didnt click it, that the "investigation" option they give, being one of the first options like that in ME3, sounds like its not investgating more about the matter, but that its only another option more for the normal paragon/renagade options (like if it was a neutral one).

oh

huh

derp

Derrick01

Banned
Fuck it I chose to contact Amazon about a possible refund too. I don't have any hope that Bioware will fix the issues but if they do I can always re-buy it in the future at a much lower price. I can't even force myself to play through ME1 anymore, so screw them.

Cagey

Banned
Fuck it I chose to contact Amazon about a possible refund too. I don't have any hope that Bioware will fix the issues but if they do I can always re-buy it in the future at a much lower price. I can't even force myself to play through ME1 anymore, so screw them.

Spoiled-and-Entitled-on-Dr-Phil.jpg

No, that's not the issue - it's people who are taking advantage of Amazon's policy that I'm laughing at. Playing through the entire game and then asking for a refund because you hated the ending? Really? It's just....pathetic. I understand asking for a refund if you get to the first battle and realize you hate the gameplay. But playing through the entire game and then asking for a refund is a thinly-veiled attempt to play the game for free. If you have a problem with the ending bring it up with Bioware. Don't take advantage of Amazon's generosity and willingness to cater to your entitlement.

Or at least have the self-respect to admit that you feel entitled to an ending you like on the games you purchase. Entitled enough to demand a refund from a retailer because you didn't like the ending of a game you played all the way through.

But it's not pathetic. People didn't play the game until the end just so they could return it for a refund and laugh at Bioware's financial collapse. They played the entire game because they thought they would receive some semblance of Bioware's continually stated vision for the ending, because they thought the ending would provide a decent summation to an experience they cherished. And it didn't, at all.

And people have taken it up with Bioware, who has pretty much said, "Well, the critics loved it, so we're sad that you're all too angry/dumb to appreciate our hard work that totally contradicts the things we promised you, but we'll think about using your feedback to sell you some closure."

Their response to this attitude: take advantage of a retailer's offered refund. If the ending was half-way decent, this conversation wouldn't even be happening. I don't see what the problem is.

Derrick01

Banned
http://www.mamapop.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Spoiled-and-Entitled-on-Dr-Phil.jpg[/IMG[/QUOTE]

Meh if they're going to offer it to me then I'm going to use it. I'll spend the money on another game, one that doesn't depress me.

Also if I had a car like that I'd return it just because I don't like silver, and to piss you guys off :P

Meh if they're going to offer it to me then I'm going to use it. I'll spend the money on another game, one that doesn't depress me.

Also if I had a car like that I'd return it just because I don't like silver, and to piss you guys off :p

More power to you, dude. And I believe Mr. Cagey is just being a goof.

DarkKyo

Seriously, screw the 30+ hours of gaming fun you just experienced. Those 10 minutes of the end were so disheartening that you deserve every cent back. Everyone knows you have to enjoy every second of an experience for it to be worth anything.

Coxswain

Ilos had an atmosphere Earth lacked. It was so gray, unfuturistic and boring. Not how I thought a ruined future London would look. All i can think is gray blocks and red phone booths.

Well, Ilos was sort of quiet, moody, and mysterious. I can see how that would just be more interesting in concept, but I thought they did a pretty good job at making London seem like part of a warzone that had pretty much already been lost, swarming with enemies everywhere. The action movie concept is a lot more plain than a lost and forgotten alien city, obviously, but for what it was, I thought they did about as good of a job with it as they did with Ilos. But it really seemed like it was just the leadup to a(nother) level where you got beamed up onto the Citadel and had to fight your way toward its main control panel. Mechanically I guess the final fight was hectic enough, but making the last fight be about guarding a truck for a while so that the truck could shoot missiles at a thing seemed like a bit of a misstep.

Seriously, screw the 30+ hours of gaming fun you just experienced. Those 10 minutes of the end were so disheartening that you deserve every cent back. Everyone knows you have to enjoy every second of an experience for it to be worth anything.

Y...yeah, actually. That about sums it up.

What if you weren't satisfied with the product.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
You guys should put some of that refund money towards a game with an actual good story like Alpha Protocol.

Err thats a story that David Baldacci would shit out in 5 minutes. I like AP a lot and would love a sequel. I wouldn't call it's story good though.

Top Bottom