• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect 3 Spoiler Thread |OT2| Taste the Rainbow

Derrick01

Banned
Seriously, screw the 30+ hours of gaming fun you just experienced. Those 10 minutes of the end were so disheartening that you deserve every cent back. Everyone knows you have to enjoy every second of an experience for it to be worth anything.

Nah I don't have to enjoy every second. Lord knows I hated every scene with that dumb kid in it before the end but that wasn't going to make me get rid of it. However a soul crushing ending that destroys the universe that I love, to the point where I can't summon the will to play any of the earlier games because there's no point to anymore is enough.

Plus they offered the refunds before people asked. I'm taking advantage of this like I do when one of these stores has a glitch in their B2G1 deals, only this isn't a mistake, it's a pro-customer gesture on Amazon and I appreciate them for it.

I appreciate your concern for what I choose to do with my property though.

DarkKyo

What if you weren't satisfied with the product.

Then you should have stopped an hour in and returned it. Playing the entire thing until you see the ending then deciding you weren't satisfied based on the last ten minutes of the game when you just played 30 fucking satisfying hours is not right. To say you were satisfied right up until the ending and then became unsatisfied with the entire product just signals that you are a big, whiny baby. The people in this thread defending their right to a refund are a pretty sad sight...

Jintor

In terms of branching structure, AP's narrative is pretty amazing.

To say you were satisfied right up until the ending and then became unsatisfied with the entire product just signals that you are a big, whiny baby.

I don't think this is a fair statement.

Then you should have stopped an hour in and returned it. Playing the entire thing until you see the ending then deciding you weren't satisfied based on the last ten minutes of the game when you just played 30 fucking satisfying hours is not right. To say you were satisfied right up until the ending and then became unsatisfied with the entire product just signals that you are a big, whiny baby. The people in this thread defending their right to a refund are pretty sad...
What if you thought the game was just alright but wanted to push through to see if the ending was awesome, but the ending was so bad it lowered your opinion of the game from just alright to unsatisfied, can you return it then.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I can't believe that some people actually wanted some big final boss fight with Harbinger. This ain't Contra. We had a fight against a Reaper at the end of ME2 and it sucked.
But it fits because of how ridiculous it was. I want a Terminator Pt. 2 fight. It would be more interesting than jumping into a laser beam.

zroid

Banned
Oh right there was one other thing about the ending I wanted to talk about.

The fucking dumb slow motion sequence where you have to fight off those husks and the marauder.

Jesus, bro.

I was playing as an Adept on Hardcore, and I was carrying the lightest pistol in the game. I literally could not kill the marauder. The husks were hard enough since I pretty much had to get head shots, but after getting killed by the marauder some 10 times without ever so much as taking down its shields, I switched the difficulty to Narrative and finished him off.

Yet again, evidence to show how thoroughly unpolished the ending was. Based on some cursory browsing, I've heard it is possible to kill the marauder in a similar situation, but you need to fire off 10+ shots consecutively, never missing one, so he doesn't have a chance to shoot back. By far the most frustrating and ridiculous thing I may have ever had to deal with in a video game. If I was playing on Insanity and lost the trophy for changing the difficulty for a moment, I probably would have cried, or thrown my controller. Or both

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

The fucking dumb slow motion sequence where you have to fight off those husks and the marauder.

Jesus, bro.

I was playing as an Adept on Hardcore, and I was carrying the lightest pistol in the game. I literally could not kill the marauder. The husks were hard enough since I pretty much had to get head shots, but after getting killed by the marauder some 10 times without ever so much as taking down its shields, I switched the difficulty to Narrative and finished him off.

Yet again, evidence to show how thoroughly unpolished the ending was. Based on some cursory browsing, I've heard it is possible to kill the marauder in a similar situation, but you need to fire off 10+ shots consecutively, never missing one, so he doesn't have a chance to shoot back. By far the most frustrating and ridiculous thing I may have ever had to deal with in a video game. If I was playing on Insanity and lost the trophy for changing the difficulty for a moment, I probably would have cried, or thrown my controller. Or both

They were trying to stop you from seeing the ending

Guesong

Jesus, bro.

They gives you a pistol ; pretty sure it will replace whatever pistol you had beforehand.

Hell, I didn't even have a pistol on me and they gave me one.

Derrick01

Banned
Then you should have stopped an hour in and returned it. Playing the entire thing until you see the ending then deciding you weren't satisfied based on the last ten minutes of the game when you just played 30 fucking satisfying hours is not right. To say you were satisfied right up until the ending and then became unsatisfied with the entire product just signals that you are a big, whiny baby. The people in this thread defending their right to a refund are a pretty sad sight...

Whether you think I deserve a refund or not becomes moot when the actual company offers one, before I had even considered asking for one.

Also I think Bioware misleading and even lying about the ending should be grounds for a refund to those who felt misled. The only problem with that is you don't find out about it until the very end, so naturally most will play and enjoy it until then.

Cagey

Banned

Yes, you're much better than the rest of us here, what with your petty name-calling and inability to make an argument amounts to anything more than assaulting people's character ("entitled!" "babies!").

Sad indeed.

And why the need for all of it? Are you simply annoyed that others received $60 back from Amazon, and you didn't, and you think that's unfair?

RyanDG

They gives you a pistol ; pretty sure it will replace whatever pistol you had beforehand.

Hell, I didn't even have a pistol on me and they gave me one.

Yep. I ran with only a shotgun all game long and got a pistol in that section. And it should in no way take 10 shots to kill him. It only takes 3-4 head shots lined up. The big thing to remember is not to panic on him, and time your shots for when he is recovering from the knock back on your previous shots. He'll never get one off.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
47soy.jpg

Omega

Banned
They were trying to stop you from seeing the ending

It all makes sense now.

I was wondering why Marauder Shields kept killing me on Insanity.

I was so close to saying "screw this" and turn my game off. I gave it one more chance and killed him :(

His sacrifice will not be in vein.

RDreamer

I personally don't give a shit if people get refunds from Amazon. If they want to give them then that's their prerogative.

But I do find it kind of interesting. The very reason the ending is alarming is simply because what proceeded it was very good. It got you engaged enough that you cared about everything, and thus cared about the ending. If the rest of the story was not so good, then no one would have cared, especially since this is hardly even close to the worst ending that has ever come out. It just may be the biggest difference in quality/expectations from the rest of the game, though.

Rapstah

Yep. I ran with only a shotgun all game long and got a pistol in that section. And it should in no way take 10 shots to kill him. It only takes 3-4 head shots lined up. The big thing to remember is not to panic on him, and time your shots for when he is recovering from the knock back on your previous shots. He'll never get one off.

Funny how they give you a pistol for the ending while they force an assault rifle on you in half the cut scenes. The entire game except the ending is clearly indoctrination.

DarkKyo

Yes, you're much better than the rest of us here, what with your petty name-calling and inability to make an argument amounts to anything more than assaulting people's character ("entitled!" "babies!").

Sad indeed.

And why the need for all of it? Are you simply annoyed that others received $60 back from Amazon, and you didn't, and you think that's unfair?

I'm keeping my copy. Besides being satisfied with the ending I like the multiplayer. I played the entire game and so the company and retailer deserve to keep my money.

You're right, I probably don't have to describe the ungrateful attitude of anyone who thought they deserved a refund. Their actions speak for themselves. I just can't get over the concept. You people should have just used gamefly or something. Oh wait, that would imply you actually used some money for the subscription to play the game when you'd rather have everything for free.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
It all makes sense now.

I was wondering why Marauder Shields kept killing me on Insanity.

I was so close to saying "screw this" and turn my game off. I gave it one more chance and killed him :(

His sacrifice will not be in vein.

Actually, since he didn't prevent you from seeing the ending, he failed. Sacrifice implies he succeeded in what he sacrificed himself for. It makes it even more tragic, really.

Derrick01

Banned
To be real I'm only doing this because they're offering it. It's kinda like me trading it in, only I have the digital PC version so obviously that's not an option normally. I'm never going to play it again as it stands right now so might as well take advantage of an offer.

Rapstah

I'm keeping my copy. Besides being satisfied with the ending I like the multiplayer. I played the entire game and so the company and retailer deserve to keep my money.

You're right, I probably don't have to describe the ungrateful attitude of anyone who thought they deserved a refund. Their actions speak for themselves. I just can't get over the concept. You people should have just used gamefly or something. Oh wait, that would imply you actually used some money for the subscription to play the game when you'd rather have everything for free.

They're giving away their access to future DLC and current multiplayer by selling the game: that implies a degree of not caring what the game has to offer and thereby dissatisfaction.

To be real I'm only doing this because they're offering it. It's kinda like me trading it in, only I have the digital PC version so obviously that's not an option normally. I'm never going to play it again as it stands right now so might as well take advantage of an offer.
No need to even explain yourself.

Cagey

Banned

Again, your only point here is to attack the character of other people, and in doing so, elevating yourself above them in the process.

Congratulations, you believe you're better than all of us who either obtained a refund or don't see the horrors in it, and feel the need to broadcast that.

Absolutely terrible, though commonplace on the internet.

Zeliard

Err thats a story that David Baldacci would shit out in 5 minutes. I like AP a lot and would love a sequel. I wouldn't call it's story good though.

Fun characters, dialogue and a great branching narrative. The elevator pitch for the story is nothing to write home about but the way it's told, and the way it can vary, is impressive and much more difficult to do than you seem to give it credit for. :p

MultiCore

I did it because Bioware failed to deliver.

Dechaios, you can think whatever you want, but I've been gaming since Zork. I got the Lode Runner bundle with a 2 button joystick. I've played many, many games over the years.

ME3 getting returned was not a decision I took lightly, but hey, keep hurling your insults buddy. ME3 is unsatisfying of its own merits, and a disaster in the context of Bioware's history. If you want to take that personally, be my guest, but your shallow attacks ring hollow. Do you have stock in EA?

Derrick01

Banned
No need to even explain yourself.

I was hoping to get an explanation for how me accepting a company's offer makes me entitled from Dechaios though. Something other than throwing various bad names at me (which ironically makes him look more like a baby than me). It's not like I was standing on their lawn shouting through a megaphone that they take this back from me.

I just watched the "Mass Effect 3 Ending and Why We Hate It!" video. I don't know why but it made me feel better. Maybe because he laid out a lot of the issues that make it just an unacceptably bad ending and I can stop trying to make sense of it in my mind. There are really no theories that can make the repercussions of that ending not complete shit.

Edit:

The thing is, for me, even if they made a million different endings that took into account every choice I made, no matter how big or small, but it still had the glowing kid god with his absurd logic behind creating the Reapers, I would still be disappointed. It's lore destroying.

Galactic Fork

A little fluff between the ears never did any harm...
Yes which is why the game explicitly shows characters survive the transformation completely intact and still maintain their exact relationships. You have no proof that these are "different" people.

Sorry to respond so much later, but I wanted to respond!... But anyway I chose the "different" outcome of the Synthesis ending because I was giving the creators the benefit of the doubt that it would actually do SOMETHING. Here is something I said earlier in the thread about why the green magic ending is dumb. Your "survive the transformation completely intact" statement means you believe in outcome 2 in my quote below.

Me said:
The synthesis ending has 2 possible mutually exclusive outcomes.

Outcome 1) Everybody changes in such a way that they are all homogenized beings against their will. People who weren't even in the war yet. Some pre-space -exploration culture just completely lost their free will and became cyborgs and are now forced to be all peaceful because the little vent god said it was the final stage of evolution. It's not much different than the ascension idea of turning people to goo and making them reapers. Forcing this orga-synthetic hybridness. (Notice the vent kid has happy names for horrible things? Ascension! Turn people to goo for reapers. Synthesis! Mutilate people and brainwash them to your will!

Outcome 2) Everybody simply gets wires and circuits, and nothing else changed. Nothing prevents orgasynths from creating fully synthetics. Plus people on pre-industrial worlds are like "What the fuck dude? where did all these wires come from? And why are they on my hat?" So all it really accomplishes is forcing cosmetic changes on everybody, and freaking out the primitives. And if this is the case, why would the reapers stop?

Plus there's the stupidity of Green magic flowing through the galaxy GIVING PEOPLE AND HATS WIRES AND CIRCUITS! How the fuck does that make any sense???

So yeah. There is no reason simply making people partly synthetic is going to bring peace for all, because there are tons of organic people all over the place and they fight all the fucking time. Go to the Terminus systems, there are lots of fighting among organics. And it will still allow full synthetics to be created, causing the same thing again. The only way the Synthesis ending will do anything is if it affects peoples minds as well.

RDreamer

You know what would be kind of fun that Bioware should really do to help their image. They should completely remake the ending and go all out. Then they could fund it by selling awesome tongue in cheek Marauder Shields merchandise like shirts and stuff. Have a good laugh with their fans.

sTeLioSco

Banned
RPG on Rails: Mass Effect 3 and the Illusion of Choice

“To kill or spare the rachni queen was one of the player’s biggest decisions in the first Mass Effect, and we knew early on we wanted to bring the species back.”

If you open the art book that comes with certain editions of Mass Effect 3, you’ll find this quote sitting on page 33. It is, in many ways, a telling quote, and one that exemplifies a lot of BioWare’s design ethos heading into the game. I had the misfortune to read it before I played the game, and my brow immediately creased into a tiny frown - as somebody who ruthlessly exterminated the rachni queen back in the original game, I had always feared that BioWare would eventually just hand-wave them back into existence. And here they were, warts and all, with a tiny line of text that explicitly reminded me that BioWare were going to do whatever they wanted, regardless of my actual decision.

When you do meet the rachni in game, they’re corrupted and mutated, sustained by reaper technology. Their return is explained away with the most inane line of dialogue, which essentially boils down to “the reapers did it somehow” - an almost literal deus ex machina that indicates that BioWare were so keen on bringing them back that they didn’t even figure out how it was going to happen. The mission in which they appear also serves as a way to reintroduce Grunt, who gleefully talks about how much he’d love it if the Rachni were to appear so he could punch them back to death again. I love Grunt. I giggled. But it still felt hollow, a sham, like BioWare were playing their game with my character.

How it could have been

The most frustrating part about this is how trivial it would have been to do it differently: if you let the rachni live, then you get the mission to go greet and rescue them, turning them into a war asset. If you killed the rachni, then you get nothing. You miss out on the mission, and maybe you have less military strength heading into the end, but that’s what you get for exterminating an entire species.

I’d be okay with that, with living with the consequences of my decision. It’s not like the reaper-rachni even play a huge part in the rest of the game, as they only contribute one unit to the reaper forces in the occasional battle - probably literally only on four or five occasions. Just replace that with another generic corrupted race (it’s a big galaxy out there), and you’re set to go. Everybody’s happy.

The rachni are hardly the only example of this, either. Regardless of whether you choose Anderson or Udina to become the human council representative at the end of ME1, it will always be Udina when ME3 rolls around - Anderson steps down to make way for Udina between ME2 and ME3 so that he can betray everyone and side with Cerberus. Did you blow up the Collector base at the end of ME2, or choose to give it to Cerberus? Whoops, it doesn’t matter: the Illusive Man still has the human proto-reaper in his headquarters anyway.

Some of these things are clearly a big part of the story, like the Anderson/Udina switch. It would have been difficult to achieve the betrayal on the Citadel any other way. The proto-reaper in the Illusive Man’s base, however, is almost farcical in its inclusion: all you get is a line of dialogue saying that Cerberus recovered it despite you blowing it up. Why not just... leave that line of dialogue out?

The cycle completes

BioWare’s move from game developers to directors is complete when, at the end of the game, you are shunted into a series of deliciously brutal urban fights towards the Citadel transport beam. It doesn’t matter whether you bring the geth, the quarians (or both), the krogans, the salarians, or even your collectors edition robotic dog. No matter what you do, you get the same “take back earth” scenario, with absolutely no variation whatsoever. This is frustrating, and doubly so because the suicide mission at the end of Mass Effect 2 was a perfect example of how it should have been done, how resources gathered in game can be used to create even more interesting decision trees. Instead, all of your resources gathered simply give you a bigger choice of buttons to push at the end... and determine whether or not Shepard lives afterwards.

People like to complain about the ending of ME3 as ignoring all their hard work and player choice, and there’s some merit in that. However the reality is that, right from the beginning of the game, ME3 is on rails. You get maybe four or five big decisions in the game, and while those are immensely satisfying in terms of the game’s storyline and meta-plot (I’m personally very excited for Wrex to start popping out kids), they still mean precisely nothing in terms of your actions having a measurable outcome.

As a fairly regular game master of tabletop RPG’s, railroading is something I have to wrestle with every session. Sometimes you do it for the good of the players, to avoid them getting bogged down in silly decisions that waste vital real-world time, or so you can get to fun bits. Sometimes, however, you do it because you’re determined to tell your story, not to let the players tell theirs. BioWare’s work in ME3 smacks decidedly of the latter, and although that doesn’t stop it being one hell of a story - we all enjoy a good rollercoaster ride, even though we can’t control it - at this point, it’s clear that it stopped being “our” story some time ago.

http://games.on.net/article/15190/RPG_on_Rails_Mass_Effect_3_and_the_Illusion_of_Choice

DarkKyo

I did it because Bioware failed to deliver.

Dechaios, you can think whatever you want, but I've been gaming since Zork. I got the Lode Runner bundle with a 2 button joystick. I've played many, many games over the years.

ME3 getting returned was not a decision I took lightly, but hey, keep hurling your insults buddy. ME3 is unsatisfying of its own merits, and a disaster in the context of Bioware's history. If you want to take that personally, be my guest, but your shallow attacks ring hollow. Do you have stock in EA?

This is exactly the entitled attitude I was talking about....

I personally don't give a shit if people get refunds from Amazon. If they want to give them then that's their prerogative.

But I do find it kind of interesting. The very reason the ending is alarming is simply because what proceeded it was very good. It got you engaged enough that you cared about everything, and thus cared about the ending. If the rest of the story was not so good, then no one would have cared, especially since this is hardly even close to the worst ending that has ever come out. It just may be the biggest difference in quality/expectations from the rest of the game, though.
What are the worst endings you've seen?

DarkKyo

So yeah. There is no reason simply making people partly synthetic is going to bring peace for all, because there are tons of organic people all over the place and they fight all the fucking time. Go to the Terminus systems, there are lots of fighting among organics. And it will still allow full synthetics to be created, causing the same thing again. The only way the Synthesis ending will do anything is if it affects peoples minds as well.

I don't understand why we're supposed to think that organic/synthetic hybrids don't have free will? They are the best of both worlds. Cool and calculating yet they still have passion, instinct, and free will. Being both gives them every possible advantage. Given the choice very few people would turn this state of existence down... And even if they weren't in the war already there's no reason to believe their planets either wouldn't be hit next or maybe raped in the next cycle. This hybrid state of existence is a hundred times preferable to the living hell the reapers create for organics each and every cycle. You speak of the green ending as if its hell for those in existence but you fail to realize how superior these beings might be.

Jackl

Sovereign's attitude in the original game just doesn't jive with the actual role the Reapers, apparently, play.

The holo meeting was my favorite scene in the whole series, and what was really sold me on the first game. Sadly the rest of the reaper machinations just don't live up to expectations.

Top Bottom