• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

Madness

So at what point does the romance scene occur? My Ryder is in a relationship with Cora and I'm about to investigate that
technology
before going to
Meridian

Soon. Be ready for the sexy space magic. She is the new waifu for me too.

chaislip3

Before going to Meridian, I went with PeeBee and she just told me to check my room for a present. There was a drink there and a message where I can call her or not, if not then I can just continue to play the game do side quest or even main mission. If I do then she comes in for sexytime and then I can do side quest or main mission

I like how it's more of an actual relationship in this game and you build it over time and it's reflected in character dialogue with the person and also your conversation with your crew. Instead of just "Pick the flirt option at these specific points to get a sex scene near the end and no mention of it otherwise". More than one character can ask you out and you can accept or reject them.

Soon. Be ready for the sexy space magic. She is the new waifu for me too.

Great, thanks. Was worried that I fucked up by
having sex with Peebee in zero gravity
but I guess not.

Grisby

So at what point does the romance scene occur? My Ryder is in a relationship with Cora and I'm about to investigate that
technology
before going to
Meridian
Question about Cora.

At what point do you pick up the Eos side quest called
"Signs of Life"
for her?

Ennosuke

This game has many very obvious flaws. I mean alone the voice of male ryder really is boring and not exciting, but I sort of don't care. There are many other things I enjoy. It is great being back in the ME universe.

J_Viper

Just spent a few hours hours in Eos running through side-missions, and I'm really digging the hell out of this.

I'm glad I didn't let the reviews scare me off.

It feels weird that the Milky Way races would completely abandon the entire idea of colonising the Andromeda galaxy and just leave the Andromeda Initiative alone. The best possible explanation is that there is nobody left who knows about the initiative.
Good point. The Reapers could have seen it as a threat and targeted any mention of the Initiative

chaislip3

Question about Cora.

At what point do you pick up the Eos side quest called
"Signs of Life"
for her?

Oh, that was pretty early on for me. I wanna say it was around the time that I got access to Voeld and Havarl but I'm not sure what triggered the quest.

On a different note, I finished up the
Ryder Family Secrets
quest earlier today. Really interesting ending to that one. I wonder who the
benefactor
was.
The Illusive Man
, maybe?

Madness

Good point. The Reapers could have seen it as a threat and targeted any mention of the Initiative

More like this is just a hypothetical question because BioWare needed a reason to come to Andromeda. But I'll answer with the question in mind. This was set up before the Reapers even known. And then hardly anyone believes they actually exist after ME1. Why would anyone go on a cryo journey to another galaxy just because. They don't know the world or universe is ending. I also think they needed at least 100k on each ark to make it seem like a larger population came. It is essentially a one way trip to the unknown.

nillapuddin

So Ive got everything set up to buy all N7 armor, Black Widow and Falcon AR

Before I do, are there any cant miss weapon/armor augmentations I should slap on there?

just wanna self bump before it gets lost to the eons.

For reference i have shit load of money/material so Im just wondering if theres a certain vendor or location to find a gotta have it augmentation

Trickster

Doing a mission, and I'm spending almost as much time in the different transition and loading screens, as I am actually playing the game.

I don't mind the idea of them, but they really should have been skippable

nOoblet16

Ryder Family Secrets
benefactor
was.
The Illusive Man
, maybe?

Yea I thought so too, but then how does that explains other races.

Kyoufu

So I finally made my Ryder, then when she spoke in the intro her mouth was all fucked up so I closed application during the intro itself.

I'm now reluctant to try that again. :/

pathfinder

this area can be mined for resources

you can extract minerals using your mining interface

Does SAM ever get any kind of character development or personality? This stupid AI is seriously becoming the worst part of this game for me. He never shuts the fuck up telling me the most obvious things that are displayed on the screen. I know that the temperature is high/low. I know that my life support is falling/back to normal. I know that I should use my scanner in this area. Just shut up already.

This makes me think back to that thread with people bitching about Aloy in Horizon talking too much and getting in the way of player exploration. As someone who had no problem with her commenting on everything or Geralt talking to himself or whatever, SAM is driving me crazy.

If you are sensitive to that kind of stuff do not play this game.

Can someone please explain how you get across that gigantic chasm on havarl?I've done everything and I still can't access that portion of the map and I'm tired of scouring the internet for answers no one seems to want to provide.

nOoblet16

pathfinder

Does SAM ever get any kind of character development or personality? This stupid AI is seriously becoming the worst part of this game for me. He never shuts the fuck up telling me the most obvious things that are displayed on the screen. I know that the temperature is high/low. I know that my life support is falling/back to normal. I know that I should use my scanner in this area. Just shut up already.

This makes me think back to that thread with people bitching about Aloy in Horizon talking too much and getting in the way of player exploration. As someone who had no problem with her commenting on everything or Geralt talking to himself or whatever, SAM is driving me crazy.

He is pretty damn integral to the story and also some side missions, so yea he gets a lot of development.

Can someone please explain how you get across that gigantic chasm on havarl?I've done everything and I still can't access that portion of the map and I'm tired of scouring the internet for answers no one seems to want to provide.

You do missions, it'll open up on its own after one of the missions.

Grisby

Oh, that was pretty early on for me. I wanna say it was around the time that I got access to Voeld and Havarl but I'm not sure what triggered the quest.

Ryder Family Secrets
benefactor
was.
The Illusive Man
, maybe?
Where did you pick it up on Eos? What is it? Is it the
Asari Ark
stuff?

chaislip3

Where did you pick it up on Eos? What is it? Is it the
Asari Ark
stuff?

It has to do with the
Ark
, yeah. You have to bring Cora with you to
Podromos
, and you should find what you need in the building next to the research center there.

Tacitus_

just wanna self bump before it gets lost to the eons.

For reference i have shit load of money/material so Im just wondering if theres a certain vendor or location to find a gotta have it augmentation

You can just disassemble the crafted bit to get the augs out and remake it if you have to get it now and don't want to wait for the leveled up version.

Grisby

It has to do with the
Ark
, yeah. You have to bring Cora with you to
Podromos
, and you should find what you need in the building next to the research center there.
Ah, so is it the quest that takes you from
Podromos to Voled
? And you
find pieces of that crashed ship?

Mifune

Mehmber
pathfinder

SAM might be the most annoying thing in the game that didn't need to be annoying. He doesn't need to comment every single time you enter a cooler or warmer area. Like I'm trying to listen to NPCs talking and SAM is chattering away about the weather. EDI was awesome - how did they take such a huge step back in this department?

Spl1nter

Beat my first round of Gold on MP against outlawas. Crazy match that came down to the wire as we got upload for wave 6 and completed it with only 6 seconds remaining. Used all my consumables in that game was definitely a big step up from silver. Cannot imagine beating gold against kett. Would need a really well put together team.

Freeman76

i created an outpost on Eos and the next mission had me back on the tempest. Is it best to follow that or stay on the planet to explore and do sidequest, or does that all open up later?

owlbeak

The way the "new items" in the Codex works is infuriating to me. I hate having the stupid marker showing me there is new stuff, but then having to dig through each category and sub-category to magically hit an entry that doesn't have a marker by it that is making it think there is a new item. Aghhhh! OCD!

Madness

i created an outpost on Eos and the next mission had me back on the tempest. Is it best to follow that or stay on the planet to explore and do sidequest, or does that all open up later?

Keep doing more critical path missions and the radiation clears more. You will come back to do a lot of side missions and get upto 100% viability.

Went in with an open mind and I'm really enjoying it so far.
It feels...safe. Very safe. Trying a bit too hard to recreate those original trilogy feelings. But nonetheless, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't enjoying it!

nOoblet16

That's EXACTLY what it is.

But it's also more than that because other dialogues with that person and crewmates change to reflect that they are in a relationship. Even the basic greetings, goodbyes and offhand remarks by cremembers while you walk aorund change. You can get into a relationship even if you don't pick the "love" option everytime it pops up.

In past games all you had was you pick those options and if you miss even one or two it's done and outside of those options and the sex scene nothing really tells that there is something going on at all.

I know nothing about the story or anything in this game. Went pretty blackout minus some hilarious gifs from the animation thread and one trailer.

Before I start who's voice actor is better Scott or Sara?

Dubz

This game has many very obvious flaws. I mean alone the voice of male ryder really is boring and not exciting, but I sort of don't care. There are many other things I enjoy. It is great being back in the ME universe.
I actually agree. The gameplay is really fun even if there story isn't. I'm also enjoying the locales.

JarrodL

My impressions after ~40 hours (still have a long way to go; according to the load screen I'm at less than 25% completion, which is kind of intimidating).

Interactions and relationships with squadmates and crew is the best part of the game for me so far, it's much improved from everything Bioware did before. I love how many interactions there are, how the crew comments on everything that happens and how there are a lot of full fledged dialogs/cutscenes where you get to pick an answer, instead of just linear auto-dialogue with static camera. Amount and variety of romance options is impressive, must have taken a lot of work.

That, along with:
- beautiful environments
- multiple hubs with many NPCs you can interact with
- the freedom and feeling of exploration when planetside (Nomad is awesome)
- character development system with lots of cool skills to choose from
- a decent variety of good-looking weapons and armor
- combat: it's fun, most of the time

are the highlights of the game for me at this point.

Things that are a letdown:
- poor animations and glitches, I'm sad to say they really sour the experience for me this time (didn't have this problem with previous Bioware games)
- weak and uninspired main story (at least so far).
- fan-fiction comic quality writing in some interactions (like meeting
the Angara
for the first time)
- UI: it's intrusive and poorly thought out, with constant unwanted info pop-ups and indicators that can't be switched off, and having to look for updated entries in the codex and journal because there's no indication which section they are in.
- frustrating checkpoint save system (give me back the ability to quick save whenever I want, please)
- combat: I miss the ability to direct squadmate power usage to chain combos, feels like a whole additional tactical layer of combat is now gone.
- character creator: it's very limited and missing basic options needed to truly customize a face from the initial template.
- music: it feels like it's simply missing most of the time (DA:I had the same problem) and forgettable the rest of the time

Me n' Drack, hitting with style

5zvMbrt.gif

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
A lot of the criticism with "meeting the new species for the first time" can be rectified with the fact that it's not ACTUALLY the first time they're meeting your species. But it's still poorly done and/or explained.

Charge, Nova, Backlash. Charge to an enemy, drop a Nova on their head, blast a few shotgun rounds into them and then pull out a Biotic Barrier in case Charge hasn't recharged yet.

I wish I could direct my teammates to use their powers, though. I've got Jaal and Drack with me, but they don't always use their powers when they should.

Madness

Fryda Wolff's performance as Sara is several magnitudes more convincing than the actor who portrayed Scott, I think. So that one.

I would agree. Scott's voice actor doesn't match the character as much. But they're both not bad. They really messed up with Sara's look though. Jayde Rossi looks much better than how they have Sara in game while they nearly 100% nailed the model they got for Scott.

Top Bottom