• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

nOoblet16

My impressions after ~40 hours (still have a long way to go; according to the load screen I'm at less than 25% completion, which is kind of intimidating).

Interactions and relationships with squadmates and crew is the best part of the game for me so far, it's much improved from everything Bioware did before. I love how many interactions there are, how the crew comments on everything that happens and how there are a lot of full fledged dialogs/cutscenes where you get to pick an answer, instead of just linear auto-dialogue with static camera. Amount and variety of romance options is impressive, must have taken a lot of work.

That, along with:
- beautiful environments
- multiple hubs with many NPCs you can interact with
- the freedom and feeling of exploration when planetside (Nomad is awesome)
- character development system with lots of cool skills to choose from
- a decent variety of good-looking weapons and armor
- combat: it's fun, most of the time

are the highlights of the game for me at this point.

Things that are a letdown:
- poor animations and glitches, I'm sad to say they really sour the experience for me this time (didn't have this problem with previous Bioware games)
- weak and uninspired main story (at least so far).
- fan-fiction comic quality writing in some interactions (like meeting
the Angara
for the first time)
- UI: it's intrusive and poorly thought out, with constant unwanted info pop-ups and indicators that can't be switched off, and having to look for updated entries in the codex and journal because there's no indication which section they are in.
- frustrating checkpoint save system (give me back the ability to quick save whenever I want, please)
- combat: I miss the ability to direct squadmate power usage to chain combos, feels like a whole additional tactical layer of combat is now gone.
- character creator: it's very limited and missing basic options needed to truly customize a face from the initial template.
- music: it feels like it's simply missing most of the time (DA:I had the same problem) and forgettable the rest of the time
I understand your point but if combo is what you want then it's not really gone, it's here in a way and better than before.

Think about this for a second, earlier every power had one global cooldown which meant you had to use your and your squadmate's ability to chain combos. A|t max you could chain three abilities, one from each squadmate, provided the squadmate didn't use their power recently and it's not on cooldown. Here you have individual cooldowns on three of your powers which are completely under your control at all the times and you can once again chain 3 abilities at max.

Granted you had access to 9 abilities in total in previous games between you and your squadmates there's the fact that if you want something other than the three abilities in Andromeda then you can switch profile to a different preset from the weapon wheel. Using the weapon wheel mid combat was something you already did in previous games...you just do it far less here.

Tl;dr: Combos themselves work better here, but the ability to decide when your squadmates use what is definitely missed.

Started the game today, only a few hours in so not much in terms of first impressions, but I really wish I could remake my character after the game starts. I like the way she looks, but something about the way I did her eyes makes it so her eyeballs clip through her upper eyelids every so often, and it's mildly terrifying when it happens.

Wunder

I agree on a lot of your points. There are some bizarre systems choices in this iteration that I feel add to the frustration of the UI/Menu system. Nested menus in everything and only being able to track one quest makes it really tough to do some of the side quests to the point where I don't really feel like doing them, especially certain tasks. Crafting still feels like a bloated system that could have been streamlined alongside the scanning/research mechanic. There feels like there's hundreds of different resources for the different weapons/armor and I have no idea where I can "source" something to farm it for a specific weapon I want. The weird zoom on every planet I visit is also really grating and makes dissuades me from exploring everything in a system, especially since the rewards aren't that amazing.

I'm also struggling to come up with a decent second set of abilities, did you guys max out your first set first or immediately start to branch out? I'm at Infil Rank 3 atm with my core set of Concussive, Incinerate and Overload and a second set of Barrier, Incinerate and Energy Drain. I feel like I need to max out my first set of skills first just because the 4+ point skills are usually extremely potent so I feel bad wasting points on anything else.

All that being said, I just got Havarl to 80% and that whole planet was a blast. Some of that wildlife were a real pain though so I definitely need to look into getting some new weapons somewhere.

kaiju

Started the game today, only a few hours in so not much in terms of first impressions, but I really wish I could remake my character after the game starts. I like the way she looks, but something about the way I did her eyes makes it so her eyeballs clip through her upper eyelids every so often, and it's mildly terrifying when it happens.

Upload her, then go to https://masseffectarchives.com/en_US/

I believe you can import her from there then make the necessary changes. You'll need to start a new game, but I'm sure you already knew that.

Lol, screenshot?

Nodnol

Having a blast so far.

Currently on
Voeld
. I find myself constantly getting distracted by other objectives, on each planet I've been on so far. I tend to head in a general direction and mop up everything in my path.

Highlight so far has been the
Architect
fight. Great scale.

Also, exploring and discovery the
Vault
on Eos. Such an awesome place.

So far it's been a great blend of classic Mass Effect, great combat gameplay and the whole galaxy feels very alien, in a good way. The jank hasn't distracted from the experience too much. I think the most annoying thing about the jank is the fact that there shouldn't be any, after such a long development cycle.

HariKari

Anyone playing with SLI and having success? GF tried her setup and it crashes almost immediately, even with the newest drivers.

Yeah, the writing is so bad, I feel my fem rayder is just throwing her panties to every NPC on the flirt option. Some NPCs just tell "I am straigh up gay I am not into females" or "Meh, ok, lets flirt another time".

Why is the fem ryder so klutz in her dialogues

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment
Played the prologue and am now on the Nexus. Honestly, so far I'm really enjoying it. It's not mind blowing but if you like Mass Effect games, then I don't see how you wouldn't like this one.

JayB1920

Ok I'm working on finishing up my second planet Voeld and some of the sidequests there have been fantastic. The atmosphere of the planet is great and several of the sidequests there have had character interaction, decision making and interesting narratives that tie into the overall story of the planet. Sure some of the tasks are fetch quests but they certainly have learned from DAI for the actual sidequests.

Ok, got back to the Nexus, engaged in some high quality gear purchases, customized the color scheme and am ready to get back down to the surface and stomp some Kett.... Really digging this game

Edit: this is really turning out to be an epic sci fi excursion

And the hoodie looks like shit IMO

Jacket all day
I actually like the hoodie. Particularly because I made my Ryder look a bit older, so the idea of the person who is saving all of these aliens who is a killing machine coming out and meeting the public in essentially 'staying at home' hoodie and sweat pants is great.

Tacitus_

Alright chums, Let's do this.

XHzojvQ.jpg

I think I broke my shields once. Gonna upload the fight to youtube later.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I am quite surprised at how much I like Casual FemRyder. I find many things that she said and how she said it as genuinely funny and even sometimes cute, lol.

The second time I made her flirt with Liam her comment made me LOL.

Anyways, I've been playing on Hardcore as pure biotics and there have been quite a few fights where I got several Game Overs... Mainly due how often my squad are dying over and over and over again.... Man I can't even begin to imagine how annoying Insanity is going to be.

So I finally made my Ryder, then when she spoke in the intro her mouth was all fucked up so I closed application during the intro itself.

I'm now reluctant to try that again. :/

I literally laughed out load at this. I remember doing the same when playing DAI. So I knew going in that the Frostbite Bioware character creator was skeweed to making some fugly protagonists, so I stuck to the default male ryder. Not going there again...

That being said I am having a hard time getting into the game narrative wise. It's like OK pathfinder we need you to find us new worlds and well that's it. It's missing that urgency that the earlier ME series had. With ME1 you had the imminent threat of Saren and ultimately the reapers to help guide your ations. The MEA story lacks a true Macguffin or crisis. You are supposed to keep the Nexus alive but I don't sense any sort of urgency there at all. Everyones sorta chil on the nexus. It's almost too open ended.

Jocund

Why is the fem ryder so klutz in her dialogues
That's the characterization the writers were going for. Whether BioWare execute on it well is arguable, but it's just different, not necessarily bad. Like I've said a couple of times, I think the voice actress makes it work more often than not.

There's a couple bad spots in the writing, I think, sure, but none of it is all that much worse than what I experienced in the first three games.

I think I prefer the goofy shit to Shepard's old "good/bad but still kinda humorless" schtick

Wubbys

Is there a pass the point of no return warning like previous mass effect games? Ive been mainling pretty hard and want to clean up some outstanding missions before the end.

nOoblet16

I literally laughed out load at this. I remember doing the same when playing DAI. So I knew going in that the Frostbite Bioware character creator was skeweed to making some fugly protagonists, so I stuck to the default male ryder. Not going there again...

That being said I am having a hard time getting into the game narrative wise. It's like OK pathfinder we need you to find us new worlds and well that's it. It's missing that urgency that the earlier ME series had. With ME1 you had the imminent threat of Saren and ultimately the reapers to help guide your ations. The MEA story lacks a true Macguffin or crisis. You are supposed to keep the Nexus alive but I don't sense any sort of urgency there at all. Everyones sorta chil on the nexus. It's almost too open ended.

I especially like it that there is no sense of urgency, it means I can truly take my time to play the game, do my stuff and explore without it feeling disconnected because unlike the previous games I'm not going around doing silly side quests while I am being pressed for time in the main story.

Is there a pass the point of no return warning like previous mass effect games? Ive been mainling pretty hard and want to clean up some outstanding missions before the end.

Yes, right before the last mission and the game tells you that it's the point of no return until you finish the mission, after which you can get back to doing side quests.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Is there any point or need to fight and destroy
The Remnant Architects ? I mean is it just some cool boss fights or is their an actual reason for doing so ? Just seems to be something you get an opportunity to do when you 100% a planet but no real actual reason for it. I enjoy fighting them so it doesn't really matter but was curious. Killed 2 of them already

How the hell do I get off this planet? I can't get out of the Nomad to get on the Tempest.

Hold T
Is there any point or need to fight and destroy
The Remnant Architects ? I mean is it just some cool boss fights or is their an actual reason for doing so ? Just seems to be something you get when you 100% a planet but no real actual reason for it. I enjoy fighting them so it doesn't really matter but was curious. Killed 2 of them already
Only contextually. You usually get a side mission that leads you to the area and killing it ensures the safety of your colonists.

Kard8p3

Man, as unsure about this game as I was, the multi-player is fucking awesome, and I love the concept of the MC being literally connected to his sentient AI partner.

Anyone playing with SLI and having success? GF tried her setup and it crashes almost immediately, even with the newest drivers.

Yeah I'm on the newest nvidia drivers and I'm golden. I have 780ti's and SLI support let me bump it up from medium to high settings. No crashes or issues here and I've played maybe 20 hours.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
I've had that issue with npc's.

So how can i get a relationship with a crew member? I only get the flirt option for peebee but nothing else.
Im always talking to them after almost every mission.

HariKari

Yeah I'm on the newest nvidia drivers and I'm golden. I have 780ti's and SLI support let me bump it up from medium to high settings. No crashes or issues here and I've played maybe 20 hours.

Weird, dual 770 and she's crashing quite a bit with the device removed error. Not heat related either.

Anyone else having terrible lag when playing multiplayer?

Depends on your host because it's p2p

So are some of the vaults optional? Any benefit of doing them all?

They terraform the planet soo....

witness

Goddamn absolutely loving this. I'm on voeld currently and level 12. Most of my points are in tech with some in biotics. Rolling with incinerate, overload, and energy drain as my main abilities and the combo explosions are so satisfying every time. I really need to go back to the Nexus to get better armor though. This game is so massive, I'll be playing this for months.

telasoman

2 hours of game played so far, 2 bugs, on two missions being uncompletable including a main story mission.

Great game Bioware D team. Great game.

Top Bottom