• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

But aren't you completely missing out on combo primers that way? And the combo damage bonuses? Together with the weapon mod that restores shields on each kill I wouldn't feel so bad about using shields to power abilities
No Energy Drain has a talent that lets it prime opponents, giving you access to tech and biotic detonations. You can also get a tech talent that makes weapons, melee and such prime targets quicker paired with cryo or fire ammo augments. Or just use a cryo gauntlet.

You can replace Backlash I just enjoy playing pong with Remnants too much.

Tech tree is busted.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
You can spec energy drain to prime for combos. It's the top second alt-option in the tree.

well TIL. There we go. That means I'll drop Singularity and replace it with either Nova or Lance. Probably Lance. And I'm already using & really liking Backlash&Energy Drain anyway (esp with how much it benefits from the Sentinel bonuses) so... sweet. Thanks!

Yeah Backlash is awesome. Has saved me a couple times too and lets me look around a bit sometimes. And you're right, ping-pong fun

Ascenion

And their deaths would have consequence and impact on the player character...

Honestly, you're not doing yourself any favours with these arguments. Your point remains pretty pointless in the context of what these games are about: the player experience.

You're still missing the point. Think about Mass Effect 2's critical path (the things you have to do to progress the story). Think about that only and in relation to the overall trilogy plot. That is what I'm criticizing. The things you're talking about aren't necessary for that. You don't even have to do them. It's just amazingly framed and seems like you have to do them. If they were in fact actually critical to the story and had to be done I'd have less an issue with ME2's plot. But they aren't. And that's part of the problem.

Plasma

Banned
Over 60 hours spent playing it and I'm finished, I liked it but it's probably my least favourite Mass Effect game there are some really good parts but it is surrounded by so much busy work it gets overshadowed.

I'll probably replay it at some point as FemRyder but I'm wondering if there is much point I never got the sense that I was really able to roleplay like you could with Shepard in the original trilogy. Most of the responses are pretty bland and mainly boil down to saying the same thing at least in the OT you could act like a dick to people just to spice it up a little.

Oh and seeing as we don't have a spoiler thread I guess I'll ask here
did the identity of the benefactor and who killed Jien Garson and why ever get cleared up? I unlocked all the SAM memories but the last one was about Ryder's mum still being alive and it didn't mention anything else about Garson.

HariKari

. Most of the responses are pretty bland and mainly boil down to saying the same thing at least in the OT you could act like a dick to people just to spice it up a little.

New galaxy with no rules and you don't get to shoot anyone in the face, even though some practically beg for it. They removed the paragon/renegade system and replaced it with... nothing.

Somethings happened, I loathed this game the first day I played it (took time off) but this weekend I've fallen in love with it, the turning point was having the whole crew and spending time getting to know them on the tempest, I love these guys. The game is still glitchy as hell and crashes, but the combat is open and fun in a way I don't think I've experienced since halo. Destroying that Kent power station on eos was something else. My fav Mass effect? Could be...

Grisby

This star map is testing me. It's like three loads when you're trying to land on a planet or visit the nexus.

I think it's kind of cool how it moves and it looks great, but I'd take a faster approach any day of the week.

Yibby

BioWare needs to remove the zooming in on planets when traveling between them ASAP. And possibly speed up the movement a bit more.

It's crazy how quickly this gets old, especially when there doesn't seem to be that much benefit to exploring every planet.

I only visited 2 solar systems and it's already annoying. Is it worth to scan those planets, or can i just skip those boring flights?

Zakalwe

Banned
You're still missing the point. Think about Mass Effect 2's critical path (the things you have to do to progress the story). Think about that only and in relation to the overall trilogy plot. That is what I'm criticizing. The things you're talking about aren't necessary for that. You don't even have to do them. It's just amazingly framed and seems like you have to do them. If they were in fact actually critical to the story and had to be done I'd have less an issue with ME2's plot. But they aren't. And that's part of the problem.

I know what you're criticising, but in a game where cultivating player experience is intrinsically tied to the effectiveness of the plot your observation ignores how these games work.

In 2 the plot does take a back seat to allow for greater focus on the more personal aspects, which are required for the player to really get involved with the world and characters. This part is a huge focus of how Mass Effect is designed: cultivating the player experience.

That's not to say the plot doesn't exist, as Maledict's articulately explained.

2 is essential to the trilogy, without it the story has a fraction of the weight.

Zesh

I only visited 2 solar systems and it's already annoying. Is it worth to scan those planets, or can i just skip those boring flights?

All you'd miss out on is some experience and research/crafting materials. Up to you if it's worth doing. I browsed the web while going through all of the stupid animations.

Yibby

All you'd miss out on is some experience and research/crafting materials. Up to you if it's worth doing. I browsed the web while going through all of the stupid animations.

Haha, nice idea. I could watch some YouTube video while waiting.

edgefusion

I'm watching Drack watch Drack prepare some food. Wait, what?

C7yQxpIW4AAeDtC.jpg:large

The bugs in this game, lol.

Maledict

Like I said, if you don't do ME2, the Collectors build another sovereign, that takes over the citedal, reaper fleet arrives aka ME1. If ME2 doesn't matter to the plot then ME2 doesn't either.

Now, you might want to have had the next game after ME1 be about taking the fight directly to the reapers, but that was ever going to be the case - it's a trilogy. You can't confront the big bad in the middle game without some serious contortions. And Bioware are never going to publish a game which ends with you losing to the Reapers in some way.

But if that's the case, the issue is with what you were expecting from the game - not what actually happened. Because there was a plot there, it did advance the story, and it did build up the lore and detail of the world and reveal more about the reapers (important stuff!). Plus all the character narrative stuff which was the basis for the entire series and what made it work so well in ME3.

eloxx

Just came here real quick to say that I absolutely love Andromeda. It is all that I have hoped for. All that negativity beforehand has made me kind of sceptical but after starting playing that was all gone.

I love the story and just listening to people talking about their backstory. The worlds are gorgous. And the most important part of all: I can play how I want. Get into the RPG'ing, or just taking in the story on a low difficulty.

It has so many features that I feel are not being talked about enough. Like the MP linked to SP, great backstories of certain people (not even squad members), excellent planet and alien designs, crafting.

In my opionion it is a brilliant game. That kind of game that you can sink hundreds of hours into.

Like I said, if you don't do ME2, the Collectors build another sovereign, that takes over the citedal, reaper fleet arrives aka ME1. If ME2 doesn't matter to the plot then ME2 doesn't either.

Now, you might want to have had the next game after ME1 be about taking the fight directly to the reapers, but that was ever going to be the case - it's a trilogy. You can't confront the big bad in the middle game without some serious contortions. And Bioware are never going to publish a game which ends with you losing to the Reapers in some way.

But if that's the case, the issue is with what you were expecting from the game - not what actually happened. Because there was a plot there, it did advance the story, and it did build up the lore and detail of the world and reveal more about the reapers (important stuff!). Plus all the character narrative stuff which was the basis for the entire series and what made it work so well in ME3.
You can completely ignore the collectors because they practically only exist in that 1 game.
ME2 is a side story any way you twist it.

nOoblet16

So I'm awfully tempted to buy this game at the moment, but I'm still a little pensive given all the negativity...

Do you like character focused narrative? Do you like space? Do you like to just pointlessly walk/drive around in an RPG/open world? If the answer is yes then yes you should buy it.
If you like tight on the edge story, don't like a bit of goofiness in your characters, do not like open world and do not like doing much side content...then no you should not buy it.

Just unlocked the last memory fragment. Wow.
Yea that was..heavy stuff. That entire quest answers a lot of questions that people had with the premise of this game.

So I'm awfully tempted to buy this game at the moment, but I'm still a little pensive given all the negativity...

You don't have to play it right now but it's a perfectly enjoyable game if you do and can look the other way on a lot of jank.
The game can only get better in the time you wait and significantly so.

Randdalf

Do you like character focused narrative? Do you like space? Do you like to just pointlessly walk/drive around in an RPG/open world? If the answer is yes then yes you should buy it.
If you like tight on the edge story, don't like a bit of goofiness in your characters, do not like open world and do not like doing much side content...then no you should not buy it.

Yea that was..heavy stuff. That entire quest answers a lot of questions that people had with the premise of this game.

You don't have to play it right now but it's a perfectly enjoyable game if you do and can look the other way on a lot of jank.
The game can only get better in the time you wait and significantly so.

Fair enough. I might hold off until I finish Zelda then.

Kyoufu

The APEX HQ app doesn't let me send out strike teams. It says I have to exit the game, but I don't have the game running... :/

Con Con

I like this game more and more. Definitely needed another month in development though, which isn't really okay after 5 years.

I expect the next game to come out within 2 or 3 years though, now that they have assets done and the studio in place. Kinda wish they didn't use frostbite though

Anyone know if the engineer profile's combo bonus also applies to biotic combos? Because if so, there's really no point for a power heavy loadout focused on killing a single enemy not to use that profile. Seriously, the adept profile isn't all that great compared to the engineer one, with the exception of biotic echoes being fantastic when you have a ton of enemies in a close group.

Freeman76

If you liked the others you will like this.

The performance is shit, the animations are shit, but the game underneath that is good, and at times very good.

I think there's a real subtlety and nuance to the story telling that is being missed in this game, the dialogue is all over the shop, but the 'big decisions' are interesting and real, they hit you in the feels way more than the original trilogy did with its 'kill the baby/open an orphanage' style of decisions.

Is there somewhere I can reliably farm Iridium? I want to craft the N7 armor but I don't have enough for all the pieces. I already spent almost all of my credits at one of the vendors on the Nexus buying the entire stock.

Mifune

Mehmber
This game might have the worst in-game map I've ever seen. Ugly as sin, mostly useless, and on XB1 it has pop-in. Pop-in. On a map.

Mindlog

That feeling when you craft some rad armor (the level IV tron Helius Champion armor) but then a merchant is selling the perfect armor for you (Marverick armor.) Finally found a shotgun I like. The Dhan goes hard. My Pathfinder is dominating encounters with a single profile. I really don't feel like switching ever so far, but I'm only level 22 or so.

Infiltrator IV
From Combat - Shotgun, Sniper, Fitness
From Tech - Energy Drain, Tactical Cloak, Flamethrower, Team Support, Offensive Tech, Auxiliary Systems
Weapons - Dhan IV, Black Widow IV (has 4 shots!), Isharay IV
Armor - Full Mercenenary IV set (+24% Headshot, +32% Ammo, +13% Weapon Damage)

Also stumbled across a mid-game? area with the following datapad note.
"Turian" Initial Observations... Agile, height and skeletal structure allow for increased reach and flexibility.
-_-

I have been pretty negative about many things, but this is the closest they've ever been to really nailing Mass Effect imo. Having so much fun.

Anyone know if the engineer profile's combo bonus also applies to biotic combos? Because if so, there's really no point for a power heavy loadout focused on killing a single enemy not to use that profile. Seriously, the adept profile isn't all that great compared to the engineer one, with the exception of biotic echoes being fantastic when you have a ton of enemies in a close group.

Biotics have some other bonuses like the change to dash. Engineer also has the tech construct bonus, which is basically dead weight if you're going full combo.

Gator86

Playing the EA Access trial now. It's less jarring than expected with the pre-release coverage, but still a jank mess. It's back on my list for a summer rental when the calendar slows down. I hope they patch at least some of this shit out before then.

aember

Bleh, 32 hours in, I'm putting this on hold for a few days. The open world is just too exhausting for me, just about the entirety of today was playing the game while thinking how nice it'd be to go back to the linearity of the trilogy. :(

So I'm considering this game as a semi fan of the original trilogy. I would take a lot of jank and bad dialogue instead of Mass Effect 2's hallway gameplay that squandered the hope of exploring different planets. From what I can tell this game is much more about exploring open planets like Mass Effect 1 with actual content on the planets. All I need is a serviceable sci fi story with some cool twists and turns and good gameplay and quests.

Would this game be for me or should I wait a year or two for a price drop (I'm about to finish Zelda and I know horizon got way better reviews, but for some reason I keep looking up stuff on Andromeda)??

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
So I'm considering this game as a semi fan of the original trilogy. I would take a lot of jank and bad dialogue instead of Mass Effect 2's hallway gameplay that squandered the hope of exploring different planets. From what I can tell this game is much more about exploring open planets like Mass Effect 1 with actual content on the planets. All I need is a serviceable sci fi story with some cool twists and turns and good gameplay and quests.

Would this game be for me or should I wait a year or two for a price drop (I'm about to finish Zelda and I know horizon got way better reviews, but for some reason I keep looking up stuff on Andromeda)??

The story is worse than the OG trilogy. The gameplay is arguably better. Definitely less hallways. So..... probably more what you're looking for? Exactly what you're looking for? it's really quite fun, I'm liking the gameplay a lot. The dialogue isn't necessarily "bad", I just find the story lacks any sort of urgency or need to care too much about it. Plus the main plot is, at least so far, very reminiscent of the OG trilogy and very cliche-ish. But I'd definitely call it "serviceable"

Madness

I still think this will sell well enough to get a sequel.

I don't think it will get a sequel greenlighted any time soon. It really depends on the DLC. But EA has Respawn working on a Star Wars FPS. There is Visceral and Amy Hennigs new Star Wars game coming. They also have DICE making Battlefront 2. EA will shelve the series just like they did Medal of Honor. Besides we still never saw what new IP Edmonton was working on. I can see EA say rather than another risky Mass Effect, we're going to focus on Star Wars.

Ascenion

You can completely ignore the collectors because they practically only exist in that 1 game.
ME2 is a side story any way you twist it.

This. So much this.

Let me rephrase. ME2 is the equivalent of Rouge One in Star Wars, difference being it was given top billing. It's great, it has tons of exposition and it expands the universe. However it does nothing in the grand scheme of the series main arc. If Mass Effect 2 doesn't exist 3 can still happen the exact same way. It's not worthy of the 2 it bears plot wise. And yeah a lot of that is down to the nature of the series. But you can have the exposition and a meaningful plot progression. ME2 just doesn't have the latter. Nothing you do, really matters to the reaper plot. If Cerberus was the main enemy I'd change my tune.

I don't think it will get a sequel greenlighted any time soon. It really depends on the DLC. But EA has Respawn working on a Star Wars FPS. There is Visceral and Amy Hennigs new Star Wars game coming. They also have DICE making Battlefront 2. EA will shelve the series just like they did Medal of Honor. Besides we still never saw what new IP Edmonton was working on. I can see EA say rather than another risky Mass Effect, we're going to focus on Star Wars.
Bioware has a wide berth to make their own decisions. Sales will justify another to sort issues out. They won't throw every studio they have on Star Wars and the Mass Effect brand is far from "tainted" as some people will tell you.

Top Bottom