• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

sjboi

Was bored out of my mind today so I bought this game. The bad press turned me off and I was going to try to wait for a price drop/used copy... but then I thought screw it, I really loved Mass Effect 2 and 3, I can overlook a few things here and there. Also I need something to tide me over until I can finally find a damn Switch. Looking forward to playing this tonight!

Trickster

So I just got 100% viability for all the planets and it took me back to
Habitat 7
and SAM mentioned something about a broadcast from
meridian(and other places) cheering. I haven't even touched or been to meridian's system yet lol

Yeah that happened to me as well. Just sat there thinking "thanks for the spoiler"

They really fucked up one side quest - quest name spoiled below

Contagion

ok, deadly disease that can be transferred via air on the loose in the station. cool. gotta beat the clock, find the person and deal with them. oh wait, no, they got on a shuttle. now they traveled half way across the galaxy five times over. oh look they survived a shuttle crash. well i'm going to let you die now for dragging this out.

they should have just kept that on the station and it would have been way better.

I was just about to post about this mission. Holy shit was that nothing but a TON of pointless legwork. I was so irritated at the end that I told the bad guy to
go ahead and kill her.
I was interested in the beginning, but then it's nothing but: talk, scan, walk, scan, walk, scan, walk, talk, scan, walk, scan, walk, talk, scan, walk, talk, space, fly, scan, fly, scan, etc., etc.

nOoblet16

Actually you have to do something for them by finding a UV light for them. Which can found on the same planet.

It must be "Additional Task" then because I'm pretty sure I did all the assignments under locations. I give the quality a pass when it comes to quests under additional tasks since those are filler quests with some of them being ok like Lexi's news stuff (whichcan lead to a fling).

It must be "Additional Task" then because I'm pretty sure I did all the assignments under locations. I give the quality a pass when it comes to quests under additional tasks since those are filler quests with some of them being ok like Lexi's news stuff (whichcan lead to a fling).

Same issue here, it didn't show up in journal at all. Thank god a friend hooked me up with the Digital Strat guide for the game. However it does show up once you get the UV light. Yes its also a Task as well.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Yea she's and Suvi are the only ones exclusive to Bro and Fem Ryder respectively.
Cora also has the best animated sexytime scene.

:(

There's different scenes too!?
At least my Asian Sara looks cool

UfswTa9.png

CG0KOvh.png

BXLq0hP.png

B6zb2MQ.png

The phone app for the Apex strikes has had massive problems with errors and going nonresponsive, and now the game itself has frozen twice on me today while I'm getting strike team results.

I want to love this, and I'm a huge ME fan, but come the fuck on.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I like this Skyrim looking planet. Just like the hinterlands, the game does a great disservice by throwing the player into the biggest explorable planet, Eos, upfront. The first few zones should be smaller and ease the player into the game.

Just got the game thanks to a friend. I know I'm going Female Ryder since I went Male Shep in the first trilogy but I'm debating whether I want to use the default character or make my own.

Shoeless

So how long do you all think it'll be before another patch comes through. I'm playing and enjoying myself, but I'm aware of the bugs. With Persona 5 coming out in April, I'm willing to put this aside for a while, especially if it means they'll upgrade the character creator and let me take another crack at tweaking my Ryder. Options like being able to adjust the ears or even shape of the eyes would be nice.

Has BioWare said anything yet about incoming patches to boost performance, let us skip launch/landing animations, glitchy quests or anything else?

aliengmr

Liam's loyalty mission is probably my favorite.

Really wish you could just use your vid com to turn in missions. I swear BioWare can't figure out convenient methods of travel. Having to return to a planet, land, then walk/drive to someone is pretty stupid when calling people on a phone is a thing. This has to be the most annoying thing in this game to me.

Liam's loyalty mission is probably my favorite.

Yeah this was one of the few missions I really enjoyed. I thought it did a great job of finally capturing that fun, lighthearted adventure tone that a lot of the game goes for. And the stuff they did with the level design was also very fun.

I also mostly liked Drack's loyalty mission too. He has good motivation and the mission also has some pretty fun Drack moments. Drack is probably the best thing to come out of the game for me. He's a very quality character.

Vamphuntr

Beat the game. 47 hours. It's probably my least favorite Mass Effect game. There's very little story content buried in tons of padding just like DAI. Final battle is very representative of the encounters in the game. Waves of enemies -> push a button -> waves of enemies -> bridge appear -> waves of enemies -> push a button rinse and repeat.

The last few hours were amazing and I felt the war stuff in the end was better handled than ME3. I'm surprised the game isn't buggier. It's quite a feat considering the amount of side stuff included. Too bad most of it is running around the map on the Nomad and traveling between planet loading screens.It's like overall 7 good hours with a boring slog of 40 hours.

They were probably hoping to make a sequel considering the ending and the state of the world but I doubt it will be the case now.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Beat the game. 47 hours. It's probably my least favorite Mass Effect game. There's very little story content buried in tons of padding just like DAI. Final battle is very representative of the encounters in the game. Waves of enemies -> push a button -> waves of enemies -> bridge appear -> waves of enemies -> push a button rinse and repeat.

The last few hours were amazing and I felt the war stuff in the end was better handled than ME3. I'm surprised the game isn't buggier. It's quite a feat considering the amount of side stuff included. Too bad most of it is running around the map on the Nomad and traveling between planet loading screens.It's like overall 7 good hours with a boring slog of 40 hours.

They were probably hoping to make a sequel considering the ending and the state of the world but I doubt it will be the case now.

I don't. The series still sells well.

I just took out a kett base on Eos and it had 80% glitched invisible enemies

I had to rely on the goddamn reticule turning red so I can bop people

GODDAMNIT

I don't think I actually like any of the squadmates. Anyone else feel the same?

Not really, I think some of the squadmates in Andromeda are on par with the best in the series. The worst one is arguably Liam but he still serves his purpose for some lighthearted moments and banter.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
There's a terminal right at the outpost on EOS with a blue pending quest marker for me, but when I access it there's no messages.... lol

Dany

Banned
There's a terminal right at the outpost on EOS with a blue pending quest marker for me, but when I access it there's no messages.... lol

Yep same here. Been like that for some time.

I'm not going to complete any of the "task" side missions, they're useless. Waste of time. I also find research and development a waste of time. I don't acquire enough "milky way research data" to unlock the ability to craft armor or weapons. Also I never have enough of the right elements to craft armor and weapons. Why should I bother with R/D? I'm already wearing lvl 3 N7 armor and waring lvl 3 pistol and rifle.

I just need to find a great assault rile ;(

UncleMeat

Contagion

ok, deadly disease that can be transferred via air on the loose in the station. cool. gotta beat the clock, find the person and deal with them. oh wait, no, they got on a shuttle. now they traveled half way across the galaxy five times over. oh look they survived a shuttle crash. well i'm going to let you die now for dragging this out.

they should have just kept that on the station and it would have been way better.

Ya, I just played that one today, it's fucking terrible. Almost made me just want to quit side quest all together.

Also was the deciding what type of outpost to make (science or military) only for Eos? I've set up a few since then and they don't ask me or specify what they are, they just pop up.

Jocund

I brought Drack along on that quest to find the Hackers' Sanctuary and while Ryder was laying out how things were gonna go down, he mentioned how he'd prefer it if SAM were really driven out of Sara's head. Never would have heard it if I hadn't brought him along.

There's some pretty good character writing in this.

I don't think I actually like any of the squadmates. Anyone else feel the same?

Can't say I agree. What I will say however, is that the MAE crew are a much slower burn than most the OT crew.

The way they are introduced and how/when further dialogue options are accessed means that it generally takes a lot longer for them to open up to you. Once they do however, I found them really good. Also, the constant banter between them helps.

Dany

Banned

Contagion

I just started this last night and was annoyed by this too. SO many missions are like this. The game is really bad for players that want to spend hours completing side missions.

Oh Cora has a side mission about the asari ark. Cool, yeah lets save them. Go to eos, scan a terminal. talk to SAM at the tempest? and bounce around a couple star systems canning debris? wtf.

Madness

Call me crazy, but I'm loving this game. Screw the reviews.

I don't get this line of thinking. If you enjoy it, great. A lot of us enjoyed parts of it but it isn't like the reviews were unreasonable. There are tons of issues with the game. The hate and hysteria was unwarranted but the scores are pretty much what I would give. A 7/10 etc.

nOoblet16

So since I finished this I've been playing ME3 again mostly because I want to play the DLCs as I never played them and lost my save somewhere. And God...why are people complaining about writing in Andromeda being bad compared to "older games" when ME3 exists? And Kai Leng...lol

ME1 is the best written Mass Effect game from start to finish including the codex, everything else is more or less on par with each other.

MartyStu

So since I finished this I've been playing ME3 again mostly because I want to play the DLCs as I never played them and lost my save somewhere. And God...why are people talking about writing in Andromeda when ME3 exists? And Kai Leng...lol

Yah, Mass Effect 3 has some really dumb shit in it. It has been actually called out on it too. The ending just overshadowed most of those complaints.

I don't get this line of thinking. If you enjoy it, great. A lot of us enjoyed parts of it but it isn't like the reviews were unreasonable. There are tons of issues with the game. The hate and hysteria was unwarranted but the scores are pretty much what I would give. A 7/10 etc.

The hate an hysteria exist because the internet cannot do nuance. At all. But you are right about the driver for that hysteria is on point.

Enclose

^

Vamphuntr

I just started this last night and was annoyed by this too. SO many missions are like this. The game is really bad for players that want to spend hours completing side missions.

Oh Cora has a side mission about the asari ark. Cool, yeah lets save them. Go to eos, scan a terminal. talk to SAM at the tempest? and bounce around a couple star systems canning debris? wtf.

It's a product of the "we are scared you are going to trade the game quickly" era. The game is often tedious. I said it before but it doesn't respect your time much. It's not a game I would recommend to someone that can only play 2-3 hours a day because in that time you'll never feel like making any progress.

You won't like Peebee's mission if you thought this was annoying. Addison's mission requires you to have an outpost on every planet so you need to clear a huge chunk of pointless fillers quests to do it.

this game is absolutely killing the way I play games which is to do everything possible in an area before moving on. Its really bugging me you cant complete everything on eos before moving on

Is it me or does melee feel a lot worse in this game than in me3? Like, in terms of damage and viability, it's definitely better than me3 since you have way more movement options and melee generally does more damage now. But in terms of animation and weight it just doesn't feel as good to use as me3, partially due to the lack of the three hit combo, weird lock system compared to me3, and no heavy melee. For example, the n7 slayer feels way better to use than a ryder with a sword, even though ryder is a lot more effective. I really hope in the next mass effect they can bring those things back.

So since I finished this I've been playing ME3 again mostly because I want to play the DLCs as I never played them and lost my save somewhere. And God...why are people complaining about writing in Andromeda being bad compared to "older games" when ME3 exists? And Kai Leng...lol

ME1 is the best written Mass Effect game from start to finish including the codex, everything else is more or less on par with each other.

Yeah Kai Leng singlehandedly stopped me from finishing Mass Effect 3 because good fucking lord

ME1 was definitely the trendsetter. I think ME2 has better character moments like with Garrus and Liara, but 1 is still ace.

TheFatMan

100% Viability my first planet. Screw EOS, it sucks. I still haven't gone back to finish it. I have zero drive too. I want to see the rest of the game.

Clocking in at about 26 hours and 24% complete atm.

The game is fun, it has problems but its a blast when it gets it right.

Phew, 79 hours later with 97% completion and I beaten the game on Insanity. What a ride, can't wait to see what the story DLC will be but given the certain nods throughout the game and the epilogue I think it's fairly obvious where they'll go.

My only complaint with the game is that beyond the beginning and the end of the game there was very little pronounced music, and what little planet music there was happened to be very subdued. Something easily fixable in the next game. But I enjoyed a lot of the main themes.

Now I've got an empty void in my life that can only be satisfied by waiting for another new BioWare game.

My opinion could change over time but for now my game rankings are:

1. Mass Effect 1
2. Mass Effect 3/Andromeda
3. Mass Effect 2

I think it's premature to be certain that a sequel will be made. We have no info on sales at this point, and some retailers have already discounted this game.

Comparing it to DA2 is pointless, since that game was likely much, much lower budget and was developed in like a year. It may have not been super successful, but it likely still made a nice profit. DA2 also reviewed better than Andromeda.

There is also the matter of EA having the Star Wars license. It's not a stretch that we may see a push for Bioware to leave SWTOR behind and focus on a new Star Wars rpg, which could potentially get in the way of further ME titles.

It's a product of the "we are scared you are going to trade the game quickly" era. The game is often tedious. I said it before but it doesn't respect your time much. It's not a game I would recommend to someone that can only play 2-3 hours a day because in that time you'll never feel like making any progress.

You won't like Peebee's mission if you thought this was annoying. Addison's mission requires you to have an outpost on every planet so you need to clear a huge chunk of pointless fillers quests to do it.

There are a bunch of filler quests for sure, but a lot that do impact your choices. Just look at the codex and what you have done so far under the Story so far category.

Top Bottom