• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

Game is definitely a slow burn and has a poor start with bad side quests and regularly making you see bad faces like Addison's.

I hate Addison. She's the female Udena hahahaha with a blank stare on her face. HAHAHA

I will say that Drack is now my favorite out of Wrex and Grunt. I love him plus his past is rather sad to an extent.

nOoblet16

I think Jack passed comment on a couple of occasions, she would tell you to fuck off lol
Yea true but I suppose that's only cause she is suppose to be the conflict love interest, which actually leads to a conflict once and if you side with Miranda jack would tell you to fuck off. No one has conflict here.

The more you play this GOAT the more it reaches 🔥🔥🔥 levels..gms so so gud.

Dead eyes and garbage animations bothers me to no end tho.

Not only that, your crew actually responds to things you do, particularly relationships. I always thought it was weird to be in a relationship with someone in a past ME game and nobody else on the whole ship had a thing to say about it.
I just love how they walk around the damn ship. Like. Of course they do why wouldn't they? But it's such a nice touch it's really helping it feel fleshed out and more "real" for me.

I definitely think this is my favorite group of people in any of the four games so far.

So just going to throw this out there in case some don't know. In the codex, the section story so far will overview your choices you've made through out the course of the game. Also I didn't know until yesterday that holding square or X on the xbox you can switch weapons on the fly. I felt retarded when I figured that out.

xealo

I swear, some of the faces my Ryder keeps making never ceases to crack me up.

j2JYPxG.png

I do hate how this is almost impossible to discuss outside of this OT because of how much of a meme they made it before anybody even touched it.

nOoblet16

I hate Addison. She's the female Udena hahahaha with a blank stare on her face. HAHAHA

I will say that Drack is now my favorite out of Wrex and Grunt. I love him plus his past is rather sad to an extent.

I like Wrex because he's a badass and a leader. But Drack does have more characterisation and it's nice to see him talk about his granddaughter and also see him visit her anytime you go to Nexus. Taking him to Eladeen also leads to a lot of interesting dialogues. His I'm too old for this shit personality works and is sort of refreshing. Grunt, I never really liked, he was a child.

Man, I love the emails in this game, they're just so much more interesting than the trilogy. The small stuff like Gil putting up those poker and lost stuff messages, Drack sending you pictures of guns to cheer you up, and all the other hilarious messages you find on the tempest really bring a smile to my face and help make the crew really feel alive this time. Honestly, I'd say this is just under me2 as my favourite crew in the series, where almost everyone feels unique and interesting from liam and his dumb couch, to lexi and her rivalry with Peebee, and Grandpa Drack being Grandpa Drack. While there are some faults (Cora is kinda boring IMO) I really hope they can keep this level of quality and interaction in the next game.

On a sidenote, what did everyone else decide to do with that
AI
on Voelde?

I like Wrex because he's a badass and a leader. But Drack does have more characterisation and it's nice to see him talk about his granddaughter and also see him visit her anytime you go to Nexus. Taking him to Eladeen also leads to a lot of interesting dialogues. His I'm too old for this shit personality works and is sort of refreshing. Grunt, I never really liked, he was a child.

Here the dialogues with him and Jaal in the party. Is an experience.

nOoblet16

I do hate how this is almost impossible to discuss outside of this OT because of how much of a meme they made it before anybody even touched it.

Yea I know how it's like was the same with FFXV and Destiny. Although because of how large DestinyGAF community has become the non OT threads have become less hostile.

Yopis

Besides the comedy routine dialog, having fun. Just accepted the rushed parts, and enjoying the universe again. Hope we get another game someday.

Miss the voiced codex also.

Madness

Really shows a different side to the Krogan. He reflects more on his age and adventures and things he has done. People like Superintendent Kesh as well. Really makes me think Mordin was right in thinking HE MADE A MISTAKE.

Freeman76

Is there seriously not even a single Ps4 Pro perofrmance analysis for Andromeda yet???

Game is almost released for 1 week and I cant find any analysis like anywhere... DF what the hell are you doing?!

Disclaimer: I love this game.....

They are probably too busy writing performance articles about DS3 which matters fuck all in the grand scheme of it since every one and their mum already bought that. Its for situations like this where DF should be making noise, to forewarn gamers of how shit this performs. I was just playing GRW and the performance is 100% better than this shit in a game with a gigantic open world and better GFX. Come on DF sort it.

nOoblet16

Really shows a different side to the Krogan. He reflects more on his age and adventures and things he has done. People like Superintendent Kesh as well. Really makes me think Mordin was right in thinking HE MADE A MISTAKE.

There's a part where you get a mail from Kesh regarding Drack, that email and the conversation with Drack later is really well done.

X-Frame

The Heleus Pistol "Ushior" is basically a pocket sniper rifle. My Ushior V with a Heat Sink exceeds the damage of a Widow V -- granted mine has some damage upgrades but still. It's also half the weight of a Widow.

Highly recommended for any Power based builds that want a long range option that doesn't kill your weight capacity.

sangreal

Is Drack's loyalty mission bugged?

I can't
rescue Vorn

In general? no, it can definitely be completed. The game is buggy as shit though, so I would not be surprised if you encountered an issue

actually, when I finished that mission the cutscene broke and everyone just floated around in midair talking without animations

nOoblet16

They are too busy writing performance articles about DS3 which matters fuck all in the grand scheme of it since every one and their mum already bought that. Its for situations like this where DF should be making noise, to forewarn gamers of how shit this performs. I was just playing GRW and the performance is 100% better than this shit in a game with a gigantic open world and better GFX. Come on DF sort it.

Wildlands actually looks great, has lots of variety in visuals and has staggering draw distances but I don't think it has better graphics than Andromeda...as in the graphical techniques being used. It does run at a rock solid framerate on PS4 though.

Just got to Eos and I'm in love with this game. It's so mass effect perfect. But it's all new (andromeda) and because of that it's sooo amazing, I can see plot stuff starting to build already, I can't wait to see what happens with the exiles.

Also looking forward to see the nexus start to come online more and more as stuff is opened up, this is just perfect for me. Don't care about the poor animations or jack at all, it just ads some quirk to the game for me.

I just finished playing Zelda botw and loved it but it just doesn't compare to this for me because mass effect is sci fi and so I'm biased cause I like sci fi more than fantasy. And technically Zelda is a better game but I am certain I'm going to enjoy mass effect more, I'm just glad I've had some free time to be able to play games lately, last game I played was uncharted 4 and before that Witcher 3 (at launch) so this feels like a particularly game filled time for me.

I can't wait until they get the crossfire profiles working and I can really crank the graphics because they're damn good already and I'm close to ultra level with just one card :D

I've never really looked into VR but I wouldn't mind playing this game in VR with my head being able to move the camera around as I move around the world, looking down at my character and having the world fill my vision. Is this being done with VR goggles much? Or is it jut all FP stuff?

Zesh

Hm. My AVP is counting backwards. At first I thought the minus sign was just a separator, but I'm now at -2k points. I don't think that it's supposed to cap at 19 pods.

It's not a bug; that is the cap (well, the fact that the number goes negative and doesn't instead stay at 0 is a bug). I'm at like -4000 or something.

Mesharey

In general? no, it can definitely be completed. The game is buggy as shit though, so I would not be surprised if you encountered an issue

actually, when I finished that mission the cutscene broke and everyone just floated around in midair talking without animations
Restarted the whole mission now, hopefully it works.

I encountered many bugs too, not game breaking one yet (game crashed once).

Edit: yeah, was bugged, restarted the mission and thankfully worked.

nOoblet16

I do wish there was a bro like Garrus in this game though, I mean there's Liam and he's cool and all and also has what I think is the best loyalty mission but he's not a badass bro like Garrus.

Vico

The longest handshake you'll ever see
BasZuYT.gif

I agree 100%. I swear this game gets so much hate, I mean the animation aspect I totally agree with but everything just doesn't add up for me. I don't know maybe I'm enjoying this game so much that I hate to see a good game get crapped on by so many people. I read reviews that just don't make sense, I don't know.

Anyways I do love the first flirt you do with Suvi. I was laughing so hard.

Yeah, just got that scene, it was so funny. "Kill me"

Freeman76

Wildlands actually looks great, has lots of variety in visuals and has staggering draw distances but I don't think it has better graphics than Andromeda...as in the graphical techniques being used. It does run at a rock solid framerate on PS4 though.

Yeah it definitely shows that Andromeda could perform a lot better.

mcfrank

6 hours in and I am liking this. Reviews seem way too harsh. I think coming right on the heels of Zelda and horizon really made people harsh on this game.

SkylineRKR

I might like this game better than the old trilogy. Its less polished (compared to 2 and even 3 anyway), but its also much bigger in scale. The world building is pretty good, the crew still mentions the first planet for example.

The gameplay is much more diverse, you're not locked with one profile. You can mix and match about anything and change pre set profiles on the fly. Had some great firefights in the open. I also like the Nomad, it sucks when they're firing at it but you can hurl it off mountains and not having to worry about dying.

I think the story isn't half bad either, I liked the bits on
Voeld

And I kind of start to get used to Ryder, he's less space jesus and robotic than Shepard. He's about as clueless as the player, and making dumb jokes at times (such as the purposely bad ones about ice). The rest of the cast isn't as good as the past ones, but I enjoy the banter between Cora and the Krogan.

This game does need some polish though, and fix that slow ass galaxy map.

carlsojo

Just died and the game froze trying to fucking reload.

Closed out of the game and tried to reload my save and it's still stuck loading. Fuck.

TheChaos

Playing on Insanity and getting my shit kicked in. The checkpoints on the main missions are awful and force you to listen to the same cutscenes before a fight.

Not only that, your crew actually responds to things you do, particularly relationships. I always thought it was weird to be in a relationship with someone in a past ME game and nobody else on the whole ship had a thing to say about it.

Well yeah, they better. It's the first Bioware game where all squadmates are required
and unkillable
so they have a lot more freedom. Compare with Mass Effect 2 where most of the squadmates are optional, so none of them ever speak to one another.

Decided to pick it up today. I've reached the first planet and so far I'm a bit disappointed. Game moves at a snails pace and it's not sucking me in yet like the other games did.

But according to a lot of people this game starts very slow, so I'll stick with it.

Combat is awesome, think I'm going to make a close range combat build.

Reszo

So I just got 100% viability for all the planets and it took me back to
Habitat 7
and SAM mentioned something about a broadcast from
meridian(and other places) cheering. I haven't even touched or been to meridian's system yet lol

After playing this for 20 hours trying to see if I would like it past the prologue, I'm sorry to say that I do not. I expected a fresh story, planets which are fun to explore, and some decent writing. Sad to say, it has none of the above. Not enough new sentient species encountered, too few planets, IMO, that can be explored. Those that can be explored feel like you are doing the same thing and encountering the same enemies. Pieces of the story feel like retreads from the original trilogy and the writing feels like something a middle school student would write. If you enjoy it, more power to you but I'm done with the mass effect series.

marzlapin

Playing on Insanity and getting my shit kicked in. The checkpoints on the main missions are awful and force you to listen to the same cutscenes before a fight.

Well yeah, they better. It's the first Bioware game where all squadmates are required
and unkillable
so they have a lot more freedom. Compare with Mass Effect 2 where most of the squadmates are optional, so none of them ever speak to one another.

You can skip cutscenes. I don't know what button it is on all platforms but it's square on PS4.

Alucrid

Banned
They really fucked up one side quest - quest name spoiled below

Contagion

ok, deadly disease that can be transferred via air on the loose in the station. cool. gotta beat the clock, find the person and deal with them. oh wait, no, they got on a shuttle. now they traveled half way across the galaxy five times over. oh look they survived a shuttle crash. well i'm going to let you die now for dragging this out.

they should have just kept that on the station and it would have been way better.

sangreal

They really fucked up one side quest - quest name spoiled below

Contagion

ok, deadly disease that can be transferred via air on the loose in the station. cool. gotta beat the clock, find the person and deal with them. oh wait, no, they got on a shuttle. now they traveled half way across the galaxy five times over. oh look they survived a shuttle crash. well i'm going to let you die now for dragging this out.

they should have just kept that on the station and it would have been way better.

worst quest in the game. Traveling in this game fucking sucks.

even worse than the "stoners broke their grow lamp" quest which was just terrible for being out of place

Just 2 more % to go but sadly 2 of my side quests are bugged :( and I don't think Tasks work towards the %. I've completed so many and never saw my % go up.

yoPaQsG.jpg

nOoblet16

worst quest in the game. Traveling in this game fucking sucks.

even worse than the "stoners broke their grow lamp" quest which was just terrible for being out of place

That was barely even a quest though, you just go there and find that they are stoners and that's the end of it.

Top Bottom