• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

BroRyder... he just works in the role, especially with some of his riffs. The animation is just too weird for SisRyder. Depending on DLC though, I might do a run through with her. Her voice actress seems to have better range than BroRyder.

One thing that killed replayability is the shit scanning and sidequests and time and transitions. I wouldn't do a second playthrough. Also no Paragon or Renegade and the wide gulf in how things can play out also means less reason to do more than one playthrough. What was their replacement for Paragon and Renegade, barely changed dialogue that results in very few changed answers, and maybe 1 every 15 hours context sensitive option for Hug or Shoot?

Well the good thing about a new playthrough is they have a new game plus. and with that you get to keep your level, all your skills, all your items and such and then just respec those skills into something else and play as the other sibling and even change their appearance. So no need to do all those side missions again for the exp since your already high level.

nOoblet16

Sara is adorable because she starts out as this person who really isn't sure about the Pathfinder thing and is awkward/goofy around people then she grows into a real leader who still retains her goofiness. It's what makes her adorable.

Sara is adorable because she starts out as this person who really isn't sure about the Pathfinder thing and is awkward/goofy around people then she grows into a real leader who still retains her goofiness. It's what makes her adorable.
Yep. She's awkward like all 22-24 year olds with no major social experience are. She's growing and learning and figuring out her place as Pathfinder and in the new Galaxy they've arrived in.

Plus if you make a custom face the animation issues arent even there from what I've noticed and I've been looking for them.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Try jumping over the the canyon she has another great line. Vetra is the best.

I tried and fell in, didn't get Vetra's line but Drack was my second party member and he let out a comically long "Sheeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaat" when that happened.

Meowster

I feel like it is easier to make a good looking male Ryder in this game than it is to make a good looking female Ryder - which is weird, since it is usually the opposite in most games. It's taking me forever to decide on a look I like for my female Ryder lol.

Damn : (

Was you running on autosaves alone?

I'm always paranoid as fuck when I hear about saves getting corrupted. especially in games like this

No. I had manual saves also. I also checked my other digital games and they all are working, saving, and loading fine.

Now I have to start over but in the back of my mind I'm going to be thinking about the possibility of my save file getting corrupted again.

Damn, finding out about Drack
being suicidal after his implants got rejected and half his body got blown up until he took in baby Kesh was hard-hitting.

He has the most emotional arc of any Krogan I've seen.

being suicidal after his implants got rejected and half his body got blown up until he took in baby Kesh was hard-hitting.

They BADLY needed characters like him. Krogan were so ridiculously one note there needed to be ones with depth.

Vengal

They BADLY needed characters like him. Krogan were so ridiculously one note there needed to be ones with depth.

Most the Korgan aren't as old as him, age brings perspective I guess.

I was trying to play my broryder as buttoned up and by the book, so bottom right most the time. Then after Voled I started experimenting with bottom left and the casual cussing line that came out in a specific moment there made me laugh out loud.

pitchfork

No. I had manual saves also. I also checked my other digital games and they all are working, saving, and loading fine.

Now I have to start over but in the back of my mind I'm going to be thinking about the possibility of my save file getting corrupted again.

Bugger. Hope your new playthrough goes smoothly mate

Dingobloo

Neo Member
Most the Korgan aren't as old as him, age brings perspective I guess.

I was originally a bit down on Drack because he felt a bit too much like a re-tread and early on it doesn't really feel like him being old has much of an impact.

But his perspective + the setting is what really clinched it for me.
He's old enough to have seen the worst instincts of the Krogan and just wants Andromeda to be a fresh start for the next generation. Even if that ultimately doesn't include people like him.

Starfield

To me Mass Effect: Andromeda had the best ending out of all 4 games. It just feels "right". You accomlished the set goal but ypu know that there is still more out there so it doesn't feel like a "what now? szenario.

Also: Puts things really into perspective when you think about that Saren could be Vetra's father actually.

I stilm love you though Vetra <3

I feel like this game has a ton of three-dimensional Krogan and I'm really happy about it.

-The one who gives you a mission to give the cryo bracelet to his Angaran friend. He's sensitive, thoughtful, and introspective, and clearly has problems fitting in with most of his kind.

-The botanist on Drack's loyalty mission. He's brilliant and awkward, and has a fumbling genius to him I haven't seen from his kind yet.

-The intel you find about them doing dating sims to try and learn how to have normal relationships again, and the little notes like the one obsessed with ginger snaps.

And that's just off the top of my head, I've met tons of cool Krogan, Elaaden is probably my favorite planet as a result.

To me Mass Effect: Andromeda had the best ending out of all 4 games. It just feels "right". You accomlished the set goal but ypu know that there is still more out there so it doesn't feel like a "what now? szenario.

I wish you spoiler tagged the last part, the part I deleted.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Restarting yet again with a new Sara.

jsGXsW.jpg

0z5JNi.jpg

I will never finish this game at this state.

Also, the animation does not bug me as much as I'd think it's going to. What bothers me most, however, is the bugs/glitches/mission triggers not happening properly. Plenty of reports already about people not being able to trigger companions' loyalty quests, for example--how the heck that kind of thing can possibly happen? :/

Hopefully my game will be alright, but I am really worried about that.

Restarting yet again with a new Sara.

I will never finish this game at this state.

Also, the animation does not bug me as much as I'd think it's going to. What bothers me most, however, is the bugs/glitches/mission triggers not happening properly. Plenty of reports already about people not being able to trigger companions' loyalty quests, for example--how the heck that kind of thing can possibly happen? :/

Hopefully my game will be alright, but I am really worried about that.

She looks like Chloë Grace Moretz

JoeBoy101

Drack starts out meh, but quickly gets awesome. That said, a later story mission is brutal if you take him along.
You have to choose between saving the Salarian Pathfinder and more Salarians, or Drack's missing scouts. If you choose the Salarians, which I did, he will NOT be happen.

Drack starts out meh, but quickly gets awesome. That said, a later story mission is brutal if you take him along.
You have to choose between saving the Salarian Pathfinder and more Salarians, or Drack's missing scouts. If you choose the Salarians, which I did, he will NOT be happen.

I chose
the scouts. My justification was that Krogan have population issues bad enough due to the genophage, and it'll be awhile before their stasis adaptations recover. Salarians can reproduce much more easily, but every Krogan counts right now.

Starfield

Alright so in case anyone doest want to get spoiled about some background story from Vetra:

SPOILER

In one cpnversation Vetra mentions that her father was Special Ops who used to be hardly at home and one day he dissappeared out of the blue. All Vetra knows is that he got involved with shady people so this could also be a clue. Her mother was high ranked in turian military and this would explain how she got ro know Saren. Mass Effect: Reveleation starts in 2165, the time where Saren began to get obsessed with the Geth and Reapers. Nothing is known about him in the few years after. The gap between ME:R and Mass Effect 1 is exactly 18 years. Sid was 1 year old when he left suddenly. Sid was 17 years old but due to Nexus arriving earlier she should be 18 years old now. Vetra also once mentioned that her mother left him because he did something horrible when Vetra was 15. Vetra and Sid didnt take there last name and instead used their mothers one (Nyx).

So there you have it. Vetra might actually be the daughter of Saren.

Edit: misspelling bc on phone

JoeBoy101

Also: Puts things really into perspective when you think about that Saren could be Vetra's father actually.

I stilm love you though Vetra <3

Whoa... but yeah, she's still awesome. Totally deserved to have a naked sex scene.

Durrzerker said:

True, but my opinion was
the Salarian numbers had been hammered bad and they were in the most peril. Whereas the Krogan, though diminished, at least had a working colony. That, and I threw Morda the seat on the council. ESAD Director Tann.

Was anyone else taken on a slight roller coaster when initially reading the first few points in the single player passive skills, that are along the lines of "increases damage of _____ for each point invested in ________ skill group," but they aren't that at al, they're just a flat bonus? I mean, for 1 point skills, they're hardly BAD flat bonuses, but it's still like... A substantial difference between what it suggests it does and what it actually does.

EDIT: I take it back it does work like that I just thought i was getting x% PER SKILL POINT ooooops.

That's okay then.

Not sure what you mean. The first few in the tree do give bigger bonuses when you invest more points. It's only the later 3 that give flat bonuses?

Yeah sorry I read the "10%" and thought "That's a ludicrous bonus to give per skill point." I didn't realize that the number tracked your actual bonus.

Was anyone else taken on a slight roller coaster when initially reading the first few points in the single player passive skills, that are along the lines of "increases damage of _____ for each point invested in ________ skill group," but they aren't that at al, they're just a flat bonus? I mean, for 1 point skills, they're hardly BAD flat bonuses, but it's still like... A substantial difference between what it suggests it does and what it actually does.

Not sure what you mean. The first few in the tree do give bigger bonuses when you invest more points. It's only the later 3 that give flat bonuses?

Rozart

Yes I'm really starting to warm up to Sara now. She's a sweetheart. I think I was just initially caught off-guard by her awkward and chirpy personality because it was such a departure from the the resolute, tough and determined persona that Shepard had.

I just wish there were more ways that I could really roleplay her. I want an evolution of the paragon/renegade system. Not just this surface-level intonation changes.

Plus if you make a custom face the animation issues arent even there from what I've noticed and I've been looking for them.

Yup. My Sara looks fine. There are a few glitches here and there but for the most part, she looks pretty good.

Crafting a Black Widow, is there any projectile mod I'd ever actually WANT to use on it? I just tried the ricochet mod and the result is a bullet that moves hilariously slowly, drops like a fucking stone, and dissipates after about 40 meters.. IE a useless sniper rifle.

Madness

Alright so in case anyone doest want to get spoiled about some background story from Vetra:

SPOILER

In one cpnversation Vetra mentions that her father was Special Ops who used to be hardly at home and one day he dissappeared out of the blue. All Vetra knows is that he got involved with shady people so this could also be a clue. Her mother was high ranked in turian military and this would explain how she got ro know Saren. Mass Effect: Reveleation starts in 2165, the time where Saren began to get obsessed with the Geth and Reapers. Nothing is known about him in the few years after. The gap between ME:R and Mass Effect 1 is exactly 18 years. Sid was 1 year old when he left suddenly. Sid was 17 years old but due to Nexus arriving earlier she should be 18 years old now. Vetra also once mentioned that her mother left him because he did something horrible when Vetra was 15. Vetra and Sid didnt take there last name and instead used their mothers one (Nyx).

So there you have it. Vetra might actually be the daughter of Saren.

Edit: misspelling bc on phone

I thought the same, however a Spectre like Avitus who knew and was Saren's protege would know or make a comment about Vetra. I think it is just a red herring, sort of how Cora is a ridiculously powerful Biotic, last name Harper and people try to tie into Illusive Man.

I chose
the scouts. My justification was that Krogan have population issues bad enough due to the genophage, and it'll be awhile before their stasis adaptations recover. Salarians can reproduce much more easily, but every Krogan counts right now.

I think the Salarians are the better opportunity. Raeka is a very capable Pathfinder. Some people have the role thrust into them aka Ryder and Avitus, while others like Raeka are just suited for it. I felt while Krogan have low birthrates, viability increasing, plus they get their own New Tuchanka and whatnot. That a few Scouts aren't worth it to give up a Pathfinder. Think about it, is a few random Human scouts from Prodromos venturing out going to be as valuable as an Alec Ryder? The Scouts also know the dangers, whereas the Salarians never got a chance and were taken while in Cryo. The Krogan also not tortured to death and exalted which you could say is a fate worse than death, but I would think preferable to being cut up and tortured. I really liked the implications of this choice. Ideally saving the Scouts means less Behemoths near the end, and you still get Hayjer as Salarian Pathfinder. Drack however makes it so morally hurtful you regret leaving his scouts. Hopefully establishing the Colony, ensuring Krogan return to the Nexus offsets not saving them. The Salarians needed Raeka. Were it Drack versus a thousand Salarians I would've taken Drack.

Crafting a Black Widow, is there any projectile mod I'd ever actually WANT to use on it? I just tried the ricochet mod and the result is a bullet that moves hilariously slowly, drops like a fucking stone, and dissipates after about 40 meters.. IE a useless sniper rifle.

Tbh, not really. With snipers you wanna leave them clean. Projectile mods are for rapid fire close range guns.

PUT GRENADE LAUNCHER ON THE REVENANT Y'ALL

JoeBoy101

Just finished the game. My opinion has cooled and shifted through my playthrough, but here's where I come down:

Highs

- Combat: Never have I had more fun playing a TPS. Plus the depth in character builds has me interested to see what a full Engineer build will do, as I went balls out Vanguard.
- Planet Visuals: Bitching about it not being 'alien' enough aside, they look really good.
- Characters: Despite the low lights of having them thrown at you earlier, I felt they all came into their own nicely. Standouts here being Vetra, Drack (Krogan romance when, Bioware?), Jaahl (So much awesomeness with neck flaps), and Peebee. Even characters like Cora and Liam did alright.
- Nomad: Only bitch I have here is it needed a weapon. Would have made the Architect fights WAY more interesting. Otherwise, driving in the Nomad was a blast.
- Open World Environments: Nicely constructed and flowed well. Just not a fan of linear gameplay sections in an RPG.

Misses

- Plot: It has some good narrative hooks early, and it really hits some interesting themes at points. Problem is there is no follow through or proper execution at times. Ryder as an unprepared leader could have had a lot more done with. The Remnant became generic later on, and the Scourge criminally overlooked. And the Kett was just a disaster.
- Voice Acting: At times decent, but ridiculous for others. It did even out towards the better for the back half of the game.

Face Plants
- Animation: What more needs to be said. The funny thing is it wasn't too bad until I actually hit a character with facial animation or a cut scene with it. Then, it stood out like a turd in a punch bowl. And the Archon has full facial animation, but the Pathfinder doesn't? Really guys? Hero fucking first.
- Dialogue: Fuck. the. snark. Seriously, I don't mind the lighter attempt at tone, but EatChildren makes a great point of how it robs gravitas from situations that are screaming for it. Where I had 3 lines giving me a chuckle or laugh, I had another 5 giving me an eyeroll or groan.
- Character Models: Hair textures, same models for every NPC (wheres that Asari gif), bad lighting interaction with textures, horrendous makeup. This was just a disaster. I truly believe we're looking at placeholders with last minute tweaking so they aren't ALL the same.
- Ending: Is it ME3 bad? Nah. But it ain't that good and is rather abrupt.

All in all, I enjoyed the game and don't regret the $60. But this game was pushing that value threshold WAY more than any other Bioware game I've played. Funny enough, I had more fun with this than with DAI, but this is much more of a hot mess.

In a way, this game will really show Bioware's quality commitments as it NEEDS to patch this game hard. I know there's not much to be done on animations, but NPC appearance and texture tweaks are hardly unreasonable. Not to mention quest bugs and such. If they let this hang in the wind and focus on DLC, well, that will be that for me.

JoeBoy101

Do cutscenes really play out that differently RE: Sara vs Scott

Cause goddamnit I'm Scott and I'm awesome

All I know is that I loved Scott's line to the Archon towards the end:

Don't blame your men. This Clusterfuck is all on you.

As I said, sometimes the snark works.

nOoblet16

I actually can't remember if previous Mass Effects even dropped an F-bomb.

"Don't fuck with Aria"

I chose

I went with
Reaka because every other OG pathfinder ended up dying and she was the only one remaining and I didn't want her to die either. Infact the Asaris could end up with their third pathfinder if you tell Sarissa to fuck off. Ryder is great and a natural but Raeka still has more experience being a leader and could teach others some stuff.

Top Bottom