• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

Dingobloo

Neo Member
So what's the concensus on the best twin between MaleRyder and FemRyder?

Male.

The default Sara face model is infamously unemotive with a really strange neutral pose.

Then in the voice acting department, Sara's characterisation leans too heavily into the arc of the character starting out awkward, bordering on completely unsuitable for the mission that she then grows into.

While Scott is more about overconfidence, which is just more fun to play as.

Tacitus_

Custom female with the asian face is best. And she is goofy as hell. Pair her up with Peebee and get a serious team mate to lose their mind over your hijinks.

xealo

Custom female with the asian face is best. And she is goofy as hell. Pair her up with Peebee and get a serious team mate to lose their mind over your hijinks.

Cora together with Peebee is a great combo. They give each other shit and it's hilarious.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

Man I love this crazy moon planet, you can practically fly everywhere and Vetra laughs like a maniac every time the Nomad is airborne for a couple of seconds.

JayB1920

Ok though I am enjoying myself enough with this game on replays im definitely ignoring planet scanning, apex missions and additional tasks. The allies and relationship quests as well as heleus assignements have been mostly high quality and thankfully there are a good number of these.

Madness

BroRyder... he just works in the role, especially with some of his riffs. The animation is just too weird for SisRyder. Depending on DLC though, I might do a run through with her. Her voice actress seems to have better range than BroRyder.

One thing that killed replayability is the shit scanning and sidequests and time and transitions. I wouldn't do a second playthrough. Also no Paragon or Renegade and the wide gulf in how things can play out also means less reason to do more than one playthrough. What was their replacement for Paragon and Renegade, barely changed dialogue that results in very few changed answers, and maybe 1 every 15 hours context sensitive option for Hug or Shoot?

Dingobloo

Neo Member
Just finished terraforming Eos.

Anything to be worried about regarding missable content?

Don't believe so, even all the way up to the final mission you can (and should) come back at a later point, they even prompt you in the case of Eos specifically that the radiation has dropped.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Just finished terraforming Eos.

Anything to be worried about regarding missable content?

Absolutely none, you can revisit as many times as you want and the game will in fact have quests or stages of quest make you go back there anyway.

hawk2025

Don't believe so, even all the way up to the final mission you can (and should) come back at a later point, they even prompt you in the case of Eos specifically that the radiation has dropped.

Absolutely none, you can revisit as many times as you want and the game will in fact have quests or stages of quest make you go back there anyway.

Great!

Is that also the case for the game as a whole? I can play it at any order and pace I want?

Male Ryder definitely. I don't know what they did with FemRyder but it's a lot harder to override the janky facial animation even with custom character.

I wonder if they broke something late in dev and didn't have time to fix it. Considering how much the patched FemRyder face changed from the gold master unpatched version, it's a bit hard to believe that this was entirely intentional.

Vamphuntr

BroRyder... he just works in the role, especially with some of his riffs. The animation is just too weird for SisRyder. Depending on DLC though, I might do a run through with her. Her voice actress seems to have better range than BroRyder.

One thing that killed replayability is the shit scanning and sidequests and time and transitions. I wouldn't do a second playthrough. Also no Paragon or Renegade and the wide gulf in how things can play out also means less reason to do more than one playthrough. What was their replacement for Paragon and Renegade, barely changed dialogue that results in very few changed answers, and maybe 1 every 15 hours context sensitive option for Hug or Shoot?

Yeah I won't replay this either just like I didn't replay Inquisition. I don't feel like driving around those planets again nor do I want to see the Tempest launching/docking or the planet animations again. I feel like if you only kept the story missions it would be a 15-20 hours game and that would be fine instead of ballooning it to 40+ with uninspiring filler. Some of it was really bad and you wonder who the target audience was. There is a really awful quests where you have to find a UV lamp for some pothead growing space weed.

I still don't understand why the Nomad had two modes. You either drive fast but can't climb hills or drive slow but can climb hills. Why not drive fast and can climb hills?

Just saw the memory with the Ryder family gathering.

Man it was weird seeing my super fucking Chinese Ryder twins and their white-ass mum. If I squinted, I could be convinced Sara was mixed while taking much more after her dad. But there's no way in hell anyone could convince me my Scott had mixed ancestry. Dude looked like he just stepped out of South East Asia into Andromeda

JayB1920

Yeah I won't replay this either just like I didn't replay Inquisition. I don't feel like driving around those planets again nor do I want to see the Tempest launching/docking or the planet animations again. I feel like if you only kept the story missions it would be a 15-20 hours game and that would be fine instead of ballooning it to 40+ with uninspiring filler. Some of it was really bad and you wonder who the target audience was. There is a really awful quests where you have to find a UV lamp for some pothead growing space weed.

I still don't understand why the Nomad had two modes. You either drive fast but can't climb hills or drive slow but can climb hills. Why not drive fast and can climb hills?

Yeah for every great sidequest there's 2 or so filler junky quests. It's hard to know what to focus on at times. Safest thing to do is ignore quests under additional tasks in the journal , planets scanning, and apex missions and you hit the good stuff at much more regular intervals.

edgefusion

By hills you mean the tiniest of inclines. Driving around Eladaan is a massive pain in the arse because every small bump sends you slowing to a fraction of your top speed unless you switch modes for a couple of seconds while you crest...which still slows you just not as much. They're clearly so excited by the Nomad too, they even make vague head-nods to how bad the Mako was and how much of a huge improvement the Nomad is but they hobble it with this pointless mode-switching.

Megasoum

Banned
Is it me or the Toggle option for the Sprinting is fucked up?

Like I hold W and tap shift and he'll run non stop even after I let go of W...

I think all my save files are corrupted. My game has been crashing and I've posted on here early about it so I decided to call Sony support since I bought it digitally.

Dude said the game probably got corrupted while it was downloading so I had to delete it and redownload it. It just got done downloading and I started up and it crashed again on the Nexus. So now I'm calling Sony support again and it's a 40 minute wait to talk to someone. If it wasn't the game itself that was corrupted I'm thinking it's my save file. I think I just lost all my progress.

carlsojo

I had people today while I was doing my Podcast freak out cause I said I loved how Ryder was written. I love how she's nothing like Shepard. Plus I would never compare to her Shepard.

Yeah I like them both, they're written as kids way in over their heads and the actors sell it well.

Yeah I like them both, they're written as kids way in over their heads and the actors sell it well.

Yeah, I really like the Ryders. I don't think they are as good a vessel for roleplaying, the way Shepard or the Inquisitor were, but they feel a lot more like real people who exist in that world, rather than well, a vessel.

Tacitus_

Great!

Is that also the case for the game as a whole? I can play it at any order and pace I want?

To a certain extent. Progressing the main quest unlocks new stuff, but you are free to drop it at any point and go do stuff on any of the planets you have unlocked.

Renekton

Just saw the memory with the Ryder family gathering.

Man it was weird seeing my super fucking Chinese Ryder twins and their white-ass mum. If I squinted, I could be convinced Sara was mixed while taking much more after her dad. But there's no way in hell anyone could convince me my Scott had mixed ancestry. Dude looked like he just stepped out of South East Asia into Andromeda
I got chinese Scott and white Sara, so it looks like two different family halves remarried.

Drack's buddy is really looking off colour.

how about these guys?

masseffectandromeda20z2o2o.png

masseffectandromeda20hebwu.png

Am I crazy or does this game have the most enjoyable third person shooting mechanics ever?

Jumping and dashing around, crazy biotic powers, guns feel awesome. It makes otherwise mundane content very enjoyable.

Am I crazy or does this game have the most enjoyable third person shooting mechanics ever?

Jumping and dashing around, crazy biotic powers, guns feel awesome. It makes otherwise mundane content very enjoyable.

I love the combat system as well. It's just a shame that we can only use 3 abilities. Even a 4th one would feel so much better. But it's definitely the one area they really nailed imo.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Yeah, my family memory was humorous too. I look pretty southeast Asian. Mum and dad are appropriately somewhat dark skinned. Camera pans to honky-ass brother who looks adopted.

aliengmr

This is
1) Astounding badly, fanfiction levels of writing. Being so incredibly, abnormally powerful that everyone shuns you is like the base for Mary Suedom.
2) Completely at odds with what we know of the organizations involved. The Systems Alliance would push ALL OF THE CREDITS in her direction as a recruitment bonus (as they do with other high level biotics), not act like she's Rudolph. They certainly wouldn't allow such a war asset to go swanning off to the next galaxy, especially around the time that the spookier agencies are becoming aware of an imminent existential threat to the species.
3) Ignorant of actual lore. Biotics manipulate gravity, not magic. What would a biotic be able to do against electromagnetism?
4) An upraised middle finger to supposedly powerful biotics in the original series.

But she isn't "abandoned" because she is too powerful, she just thinks that. She has issues, but they aren't related to her biotics.

Top Bottom