• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

Can someone explain to me why so many people say Andromeda reminds them of ME1? I decided to load up the first game with hi res textures, an enb, and go for another playthrough, but I'm just not seeing hardly any similarities.

Tsukumo

Any multiplayer tips for someone just starting out?

Play on bronze until level 10. Upgrade to silver until level 20.
Use all the power-ups you have (cryo ammo, additional shields and so on). Sometimes you'll loose them because of bad connections or level 1 players who get overwhelmed on wave 6. Still, it's a good habit to use them as soon as you get them no matter what.
In the same fashion, use all the cobras, revives, shield pack and ammo pack you can during a mission.
Stick to basic packs until you max out all common weapons, characters and mods.
Do all the tutorial missions, it will reward you with a starter pack.
Get out of any Apex missions where players are level 1: it's people who are there just for the loot and have no idea what they are in for.
NPC you send on Apex Missions will gain experience even when failing it.
Get accustomed to melee. It does a lot of damage but has weird animations and weird hit-boxes.
The radar highlights all enemies on map, no matter the distance.
Stick with team-mates, even if they put themselves in front of you to steal points.

Just tried out the Ushior Pistol.

58029-I-Like-It-Gif-Imgur-xBME.gif

Too bad that weapon sucks in multiplayer. in single player, 1000+ dmg, in multiplayer 500 damage, and its still a single shot. That gun is boo boo quality in multiplayer.

Can someone explain to me why so many people say Andromeda reminds them of ME1? I decided to load up the first game with hi res textures, an enb, and go for another playthrough, but I'm just not seeing hardly any similarities.

Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect andromeda aren't linear games. In both games, you can plan on planets and explore and do many side quest, and some have an impact on the world, mostly small impacts though. Mass Effect 2 and 3 would more linear, as you could not explore any worlds, and the game is mission based structured.

The game goes back to finding random loot in containers and selling loot you dont need which are features that arent present in mass effect two and three.

plus the skills and character builds you can use are even more broad in andromeda than there were in mass effect 1 as mass effect one had the most skills you could use in the trilogy.

the main comparison is the open world exploration, landing on planets and doing what ever stuff.

bati

Oh man, I just found a fusion mod that reduces all cooldowns by 50%. Perfect for my rapid cd sentinel build.

UltraMav

Bioware is 0 for 2 with black male squaddies in Mass Effect now. Liam is so lame.

I liked Jacob. Also helped that he was voiced by an actor who played a Wing Commander character I also liked, but still. Jacob was a solid space-bro whose only crime was wearing too tight pants. Gotta let that shit breath, man.

Liam, however, is nothing but try-hard cringey garbage. Like many characters in this game, really.
I'm looking at you "sarcastic response Sara."

Down to one last vault on Voeld, trying to get 100% viability... by the time I make it down to there to lift the lockdown my hazard level is at 0.

Amazing.

Am I supposed to create a colony on H-047c like the other planets? I cleared it and SAM said we could use it but I don't see nothing but empty areas with no one in it.

Down to one last vault on Voeld, trying to get 100% viability... by the time I make it down to there to lift the lockdown my hazard level is at 0.

Amazing.

There should either be heaters or those spheres that regen life support down there. I don't remember that vault being that difficult.

Vamphuntr

Am I supposed to create a colony on H-047c like the other planets? I cleared it and SAM said we could use it but I don't see nothing but empty areas with no one in it.

No Colony but
there is a vault to increase Helium 3 production (fuel) in the ME lore

When I come to a new planet do I need to fully scan it's surface or do I need to just do enough to get my percent for the area to increase?

Altairre

Just finished it. Game has a lot of rough edges to put it mildly but overall I enjoyed my time with it. The kett are terrible villains though. They definitely should have kept the more linear structure from the previous games, the planet areas are too big and there just isn't enough interesting stuff to find or do. Put more thought into the quests and hub worlds, I don't come to Mass Effect to check off boxes in a quest log. I liked the crew for the most part except for Liam, who I thought was pretty terrible, and Cora, who is a bit on the bland side. It's nothing new that the human squad members are usually the less interesting ones but it's still unfortunate.

Just finished it. Game has a lot of rough edges to put it mildly but overall I enjoyed my time with it. The kett are terrible villains though. They definitely should have kept the more linear structure from the previous games, the planet areas are too big and there just isn't enough interesting stuff to find or do. Put more thought into the quests and hub worlds, I don't come to Mass Effect to check off boxes in a quest log. I liked the crew for the most part except for Liam, who I thought was pretty terrible, and Cora, who is a bit on the bland side. It's nothing new that the human squad members are usually the less interesting ones but it's still unfortunate.

I just finished today too. I agree with almost everything here, except Cora. I actually liked her a bit more than other human squad members. Plus...(
dat ass
). I think the kett have the potential to be good enemies, if they treat them like
the reapers, converting different species, and driving the emotional point a bit more.

JMY86

I just finished today too. I agree with almost everything here, except Cora. I actually liked her a bit more than other human squad members. Plus...(
dat ass
). I think the kett have the potential to be good enemies, if they treat them like
the reapers, converting different species, and driving the emotional point a bit more.

I really liked Cora and she was in my squad for the entirety of the game. I went 75% Biotics so we meshed well together with our Biotic combos and her Cryo ammo. There was a really great commentary about Cora on reddit which really hit the head on the vibe I got from her.

https://www.reddit.com/r/USMC/comme..._and_the_1st_civ_div/?st=j115o0hq&sh=157116cc

TheFatMan

Every time I try to debrief a strike team the god damn games won't let me click X and I have to restart the game.

How did shit like this get through the QA process? It's a real shame the HUGE amount of glitches and bugs in this game have really disapointed me. A game that could have been a solid 9 is instead a low 7.

To be fair that's no more shocking than humans doing in 40+ years what it took hundreds and thousands of years for other races to do.

Somebody has to have a serious talk with the series writers about realistic time scales.

good point! it is, sorta, all of a piece :) ...

seriously, tho: i just spent the last hour+ on h-407c, this mining planet, & how in the hell have the exiles managed to set this all up? what'd they do: give'm all this stuff when they exiled'm? or we're supposed to believe they friggin' stole it all? &, top it off: all in 12 months?! smh...

With all bugs, technical issues and inconveniences patched this game would be a solid 7 for me. Now it is a 5 or 6 at most. Mass Effect has always been about embarking on an epic adventure with a great cast of characters and one of those two parts is sadly missing here.

The combat is great though.

Beat the game an couple hours ago.

Doesn't reach the highs of the previous installments, but it had enough moments to make me power through to the end. Honestly, I only kept playing through this game for the squad mates. Some weren't as strong as the previous games, but they had enough personality to keep me somewhat vested. Which is good, because the story didn't do that at all.

As it stands, it was a serviceable entry, but I expected better and will continue to expect better of this series.

Vamphuntr

good point! it is, sorta, all of a piece :) ...

seriously, tho: i just spent the last hour+ on h-407c, this mining planet, & how in the hell have the exiles managed to set this all up? what'd they do: give'm all this stuff when they exiled'm? or we're supposed to believe they friggin' stole it all? &, top it off: all in 12 months?! smh...

My main gripe is that the people on the Nexus tells you resources are scarce we are dying bla bla bla and they tell you they've kicked out people. When you meet the exiles
they have a complete city with a spaceport, bars, marketplace, a nightclub and everything you would expect. They seem to be fine with resources and have multiple ships to fly around the cluster. The city also has multiple floors and it seems insane to build all this in 1 year.
. It's also actually a better site than the people at the Nexus were able to make on Eos.

My main gripe is that the people on the Nexus tells you resources are scarce we are dying bla bla bla and they tell you they've kicked out people. When you meet the exiles
they have a complete city with a spaceport, bars, marketplace, a nightclub and everything you would expect. They seem to be fine with resources and have multiple ships to fly around the cluster. The city also has multiple floors and it seems insane to build all this in 1 year.
. It's also actually a better site than the people at the Nexus were able to make on Eos.

what, you mean the 'jetson's trailer park'? saying it's better than isn't really very high praise :) ...

I thought they made it pretty clear that Kadara
was an angaran port that the exiles took over. I imagine much of the infrastructure was in place already, while other parts were built with supplies stolen from the Nexus.

Vengal

I started the game as a infiltrator as I tend to do in most my first playthroughs of these games but something about it just seems really weak in this game compared to the trilogy. As i moved through the game I slowly went down the space wizard path while still using sniper rifles and man I seem to have found a good groove.

I still have my black widow but rarely use it, mainly using the remnant sniper rifle full of tech damage augs and 1 power when full aug. Jump through throwing all three of my tech attacks, shooting afew times and by then the rifle is full ammo again and all my tech attacks are back. I think i've been through maybe 15 missions now without having to actively worry about ammo and that alone is amazing. It makes me so sad that they just gave up on the ME1 ideas of a no ammo but heat based system.

I feel like this probably would have worked better with shotguns though, charge in let the drone pop to prime electric, shield drain to pop that, then shoot incinerate and charge overload for another multichain detonate. Oh well though I really like sniper rifles in general.

jdstorm

Banned
I really liked Cora and she was in my squad for the entirety of the game. I went 75% Biotics so we meshed well together with our Biotic combos and her Cryo ammo. There was a really great commentary about Cora on reddit which really hit the head on the vibe I got from her.

https://www.reddit.com/r/USMC/comme..._and_the_1st_civ_div/?st=j115o0hq&sh=157116cc

The real problem with Cora is that she isnt an Asari with a human father. Seriously the core of her character is rooted to her time as an Assari soilder, as a crew member she feels like she has been overlooked/passed over for the role of pathfinder (cringe) and that she is looking to build something new and beautiful.

If Cora was a human Asari, her longing for that culture would be much easier to explain, her detatchment from the crew would be explained, her being passed over for a job she earned because of her background and potential human "space racism" would be an organic part of her character.

Then as the game progresses she essentially grows into the Garrus role of friend and 2IC while still allowing the player blue alien sexytimes.

So a combat orientated sexy spock. MEs Star Trek loving audience would love that.

Use all the power-ups you have (cryo ammo, additional shields and so on). Sometimes you'll loose them because of bad connections or level 1 players who get overwhelmed on wave 6. Still, it's a good habit to use them as soon as you get them no matter what.
In the same fashion, use all the cobras, revives, shield pack and ammo pack you can during a mission.
Get out of any Apex missions where players are level 1: it's people who are there just for the loot and have no idea what they are in for.
Get accustomed to melee. It does a lot of damage but has weird animations and weird hit-boxes.
Stick with team-mates, even if they put themselves in front of you to steal points.

Thanks

Just did the mission to rescue the angara resistance leader and learn the world's most predictable plot twist.

Yay.

Edit: And when I went back in, another PS4 BSD. Double Yay.

Nodnol

Ok, so a while back I was offered the opportunity to go after
the Archon's Ship.

Is this the point of no return for the end of the game? I've still got an entire planet to visit so I'm dubious, and even if it wasn't the final stretch, I still have lots left I want to do, but I don't want to hold myself up unnecessarily.

I'm really enjoying myself so far. Keep hoping around the galaxy, doing a little bit here and a little bit there, keeping it varied.

diaspora

The Kadaran port was always there as a product of the Angara- the Angara were forced out by the Kett who were then forced out by the exiles.

GSR

^ That's really badly tagged, dude. I thought it was just going to be a silly screenshot and you spoiled (what I'm guessing is) a late-game twist with the description that pops up when you view the image.

EDIT: Thanks for fixing it!

Alo0oy

Banned
How the hell am I supposed to find Remnant Cores in the data trail quest? Every video on youtube shows different locations that don't show up for me, is it just RNG? What kind of crappy quest design is that?

In today's glitches, I saw a four armed Raider woman alternating raising her weapon(s) in salute, a floating assault rifle that tried to hide from me in combat, and Scott decided to praise the Angara while addressing the grumpy bartender in the Vortex.

Still having a blast, though.

Kin5290

The problem with Cora is that her backstory hinges on a detail that is completely at odds with the existing Mass Effect lore. The Systems Alliance would have have done anything they could to ensure that she serves in a human unit: with human biotics being rare enough that the military doles out enlistment incentives to biotics to sign on, there is no way in hell that the brass would shrug their shoulders at such a vital strategic asset as Cora.

Venfayth

Finished, I think people are too hard on the game in general, but it's rough for sure.

I'd give it a 3/5 probably.

If you want another ME game, it's passable, but know what you're getting in to first. The early parts of the game are easily the worst (there's no character quite as badly animated as "my-face-is-tired" chick) and the combat is a ton of fun.

I just finished Kodara and it may have been the most frustrating stretch of gameplay so far. To me it seems tedious on purpose - the planet itself is very difficult to traverse due to its mountainous nature, and that is fine. What is unnecessarily frustrating is having to go back and forth between the main city, the wilderness, the lower city, and the Tempest multiple times. There is no fast way to do this that I could find, and it makes the silliness of taking off the planet in order to board the Tempest just to check an email all the greater.

You have to press E to open some doors in the game, but in Port on Kodara you have to hold E for about 5 seconds. For every door. Why!? The planet manages to feel like a lot of empty space despite the claustrophobic nature of the mountain ranges. You can't use the settlement for fast travel because the settlement is a reward for completing the main quest. The main quest itself is strangely disjointed, as
I simply stumbled into the hidden base of the rival gang on the planet, and they acted like we're buds - side quests and all. You run back and forth doing quests for Reyes that don't seem to have anything to do with the gangs until they say it does at the end, but I didn't feel it. Why does only one Monolith require sudoku when other planets required 3 (not complaining)?
I don't understand the decision process behind all this.

I don't understand why people still give the advice of maxing out all the common stuff. Common weapons are useless, even at X. Most of the mods aren't great either. Better to play silver and buy the 50k pack for rares. Getting a decent rare or better weapon at is going to do you way more good than playing for 40 hours and slumming it with terrible gear.

I don't understand why people still give the advice of maxing out all the common stuff. Common weapons are useless, even at X. Most of the mods aren't great either. Better to play silver and buy the 50k pack for rares. Getting a decent rare or better weapon at is going to do you way more good than playing for 40 hours and slumming it with terrible gear.

then you miss the whole concept of why people do this.

I just finished Kodara and it may have been the most frustrating stretch of gameplay so far. To me it seems tedious on purpose - the planet itself is very difficult to traverse due to its mountainous nature, and that is fine. What is unnecessarily frustrating is having to go back and forth between the main city, the wilderness, the lower city, and the Tempest multiple times. There is no fast way to do this that I could find, and it makes the silliness of taking off the planet in order to board the Tempest just to check an email all the greater.

You have to press E to open some doors in the game, but in Port on Kodara you have to hold E for about 5 seconds. For every door. Why!? The planet manages to feel like a lot of empty space despite the claustrophobic nature of the mountain ranges. You can't use the settlement for fast travel because the settlement is a reward for completing the main quest. The main quest itself is strangely disjointed, as
I simply stumbled into the hidden base of the rival gang on the planet, and they acted like we're buds - side quests and all. You run back and forth doing quests for Reyes that don't seem to have anything to do with the gangs until they say it does at the end, but I didn't feel it. Why does only one Monolith require sudoku when other planets required 3 (not complaining)?
I don't understand the decision process behind all this.

while i agree with your point regarding the multiple aggravations (traversing in & out of town, weird doors, etc), i actually liked kadara more than the previous planets simply because of the existing population & faction stuff, & the fact that it was a little disjointed, rather than formulaic. that said, the idea that, over a 12 month period,
not only did the exiles liberate the angara, but then themselves proceeded to split into 2 opposing factions, both of whom continue to get supplies from who knows where who knows how,
is pretty damn far-fetched (to put it mildly)...

&, afa the last question,
re: sudoku, i'm guessing the answer is (as always): 'we'll go back & finish that up before release' :) ...

Neolombax

Currently at about 30hrs of playtime, 25% completion, have only completed
Eos and Havarl.
. Super rough around the edges, bugs that have prevented me from getting side missions, biotics having delayed effects on enemies, some sound issues. Overall though, having such a great time with this. It's nowhere near as good as the original trilogy for sure but I like it still.

The writing has some hints of good writing though. Its as if there were different people/teams who wrote for this game. I had one task where I needed to set up some beacons across Eos. And after every beacon that was set up, there was a motivational message from a kid to his dad. I ended up setting all the beacons just to make sense of it.
Turns out the dad left his kid back in the Milky Way galaxy, and the kid was apparently sick. Given that it took 600 years or so for the dad to arrive in the Andromeda galaxy, the kid is dead by now. One of the messages showed how the kid was slightly disappointed in the dad for leaving, but he recorded the motivational messages for the dad regardless to push him on. This task was triggered while I was randomly killing kett on Eos, and apparently the kett killed the dad while he was setting up those beacons.

Didn't think ME:A could completely steal my attention away from playing Horizon...but there you go. Haven't touched Horizon since.

The problem with Cora is that her backstory hinges on a detail that is completely at odds with the existing Mass Effect lore. The Systems Alliance would have have done anything they could to ensure that she serves in a human unit: with human biotics being rare enough that the military doles out enlistment incentives to biotics to sign on, there is no way in hell that the brass would shrug their shoulders at such a vital strategic asset as Cora.

My interpretation was that Cora was so powerful, that standard Alliance training and protocol was insufficient for her to develop as a soldier and for her to be properly utilized in combat engagements, which is why she was loaned to the Asari military. I will admit though, my memory of biotic and Alliance lore is super shaky at this point

Top Bottom