• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

X-Frame

I'm going with this Sara Ryder custom character now for NG+ and it's already a huge improvement over the default Sara, IMO. Only I was change the hair color and style but kept everything else.

I also used mostly the Heart and Casual conversations my first time around, but this time I'm going all Professional/Logic.

Alaira Ryder (Reddit)

3e0AhJK.jpg

hbkdx12

I don't understand why people still give the advice of maxing out all the common stuff. Common weapons are useless, even at X. Most of the mods aren't great either. Better to play silver and buy the 50k pack for rares. Getting a decent rare or better weapon at is going to do you way more good than playing for 40 hours and slumming it with terrible gear.

People max out all the common gear so that they don't show up when you buy higher tier packs.

Finaj

Slightly unrelated, but does anyone know how to make Origin download speeds faster? I'm averaging 40 kb/s here with Mass Effect while on Steam I get 5 mb/s at the minimum.

prag16

Banned
LMAO @ movie night.

That was a great pay-off.
That quest bugged out for me. :(

Disappeared from my quest log entirely before I downloaded the movies from the Nexus. Just gone.

I'm going with this Sara Ryder custom character now for NG+ and it's already a huge improvement over the default Sara, IMO. Only I was change the hair color and style but kept everything else.

I also used mostly the Heart and Casual conversations my first time around, but this time I'm going all Professional/Logic.

Alaira Ryder (Reddit)

That's damn good. Best create-a-character I've seen so far.

diaspora

Slightly unrelated, but does anyone know how to make Origin download speeds faster? I'm averaging 40 kb/s here with Mass Effect while on Steam I get 5 mb/s at the minimum.

I'm getting suboptimal speeds right now too. Downloading something else at 1.8MB/s while Andromeda a couple of weeks ago downloaded at 7-9MB/s.

For those of you who have finished the game, or come close to it, is the story pretty engaging?

As usual open world games, the pacing is pretty slow due to the many activities that you can do.

But the story gets better starting from the middle of the game. The twists and reveals are just like usual Mass Effect games.

Drewfonse

As usual open world games, the pacing is pretty slow due to the many activities that you can do.

But the story gets better starting from the middle of the game. The twists and reveals are just like usual Mass Effect games.

Ok. And it's feasible to do a straight story run? I wonder if that's like 20 hrs or something,

diaspora

Ok. And it's feasible to do a straight story run? I wonder if that's like 20 hrs or something,

Probably not in as little as 20 hours but you can ignore most of the side quests. I'd recommend at least doing
the Turian, Asari, and Salarian ark
quests.

Replicant

The game hasn't really grabbed me up until an event post Eos settlement happened (spoiler obvs):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGBIR0jqLLU

For the first time since I started the game I actually felt genuine tension and excitement. It actually felt like watching a Star Trek movie or something. Hopefully the rest of the game are as exciting as this.

The dialogue can use some improvement though and Addison is still awful as usual. Rude as fuck too.

For those of you who have finished the game, or come close to it, is the story pretty engaging?

I haven't finished the game yet, but so far, the main narrative is serviceable, but nothing amazing. I'd say it's on par with ME2's collector storyline, which is probably the weakest main narrative of the OT.

The world building is unfortunately lacking. There's cool stuff here and there, but I feel MEA falls short of the standards set by the franchise.

Where I think MEA shines however is in it's character moments and side stories. There is quite a lot of cool stuff as you learn more about your companions and why they decided to drop everything and make a no return trip to Andromeda. In particular is the Ryder family storyline; they drip feed you that one slowly throughout the game, but I think it's really interesting and colours the actions of Alec Ryder and the Ryder kids.

Ralemont

not me
I just did 4 loyalty missions and a few story-heavy quests and the stretch felt every bit as good as the best stretches of Mass Effect 2 and 3. This is incredibly subjective of course but I really feel like this game's primary sin is the exploration. It's done much better than Dragon Age, but Mass Effect feels at its best going from mission to mission, handcrafted level to level, well-written character stuff to character stuff.

It's curious because so much of the world writing is boring, but the squad writing is every bit as good as the OT. I'll just keep on repeating this but I hope BioWare abandons huge worlds and goes back to 30 hour RPGs.

Still really like the game though.

rjcc

The loyalty missions are pretty good. Cora's was better than average, Vestra's (and the planet) was a complete surprise how good it was, and I enjoyed Liam's. Also, the writing was much stronger. While a lot of the beginning of the game feels like a first draft that never got revisited, there's much better stuff later.

bati

I just did 4 loyalty missions and a few story-heavy quests and the stretch felt every bit as good as the best stretches of Mass Effect 2 and 3. This is incredibly subjective of course but I really feel like this game's primary sin is the exploration. It's done much better than Dragon Age, but Mass Effect feels at its best going from mission to mission, handcrafted level to level, well-written character stuff to character stuff.

Exactly this. I hope they return the series to the mission based structure with the next installment.

Karu

I want to go back to ME2 (Remastered, pls! Thanks) to look at the Loyalty missions - which I remember absolutely loving - but they just don't work 100% in this and especially Inquisition. It feels there is too much running around/fluff to get to the end-mission good stuff. Started with Cora's and driving across all of Vloed is just so blabla. Meh.

It's curious because so much of the world writing is boring, but the squad writing is every bit as good as the OT. I'll just keep on repeating this but I hope BioWare abandons huge worlds and goes back to 30 hour RPGs.

Still really like the game though.

I disagree with this. I think BioWare's strengths can actually be complimented by open world designs, particularly with Mass Effect and it's emphasis on strange alien worlds.

Where I think MEA falters is how large and boring most it's worlds are. The open world format would be fine if the worlds were interesting to travel. I think BioWare can learn a lot from Xenoblade X, which had a fascinating world that was rewarding to explore, while having a quest system that was reasonably similar to MEA.

Madness

Honestly, I would have approached exploration differently. Keep these worlds that we can bring to 100% viability, but then have like 5-6 smaller landable planets in the vein of H-047C that you can tie sidequests to, and also recapture that feeling of isolated exploration. No random Angara or Kett or Remnant shooting, no other NPC's or quests. For example, rather than have certain quests like the Roekaar using mutated animals, or the Poachers killing the Yevaara whales or whatever, you have to leave the world to complete them.

Naturally this would be better without the loading screens. I also would have preferred more livelier hub worlds, dynamic NPC's. Also, the linearity and continuous nature of loyalty missions works well. I would instead double or triple the count of loyalty missions for each squadmate. That way you get more focus on a single task, more locales and much better squad focused dialogue.

BouncyFrag

Damn, Drack's body is a mess. I say we make him a pathfinder with his own SAM. Lets not worry about the consequences should the Almighty Krogan figure out the tech for their own people.

I ran into a Salarian today who sounded exactly like Mordin. :(

MCD250

Been playing for about 15-20 hours or so, at a guess. I've gotten Eos and Voeld to 100% viability and have taken care of most sidequests in those planets. I've also advanced a few loyalty missions to the point where I need to progress further in the game before I can continue them.

I have...very mixed feelings so far. The overall game design feels extremely muddled, as though BioWare decided to throw in practically every design concept they could think of until the game became this gigantic, dizzyingly amorphous mass of AAA design choices. There are so many aspects of the game that feel bloated, excessive and, occasionally, unnecessary. As though they are present just for the sake of it, rather than to enrich or enliven the experience.

Like...why is there so much stuff in this game? Stuff to do, stuff to see and stuff to micromanage? Why is there such a big, sprawling inventory of items and resources? Why is there so much crafting and so many weapons and armor to research and develop? Why are there so many fetch quests and sidemissions where you go from one place and then to another place and then to another place (so you can activate a console)? Why are the planets so big and boring-looking and filled with mostly monotous things to do? Why are there so many random encounters with kett and Remnants? It all can honestly feel overbearing at times, and the fact that so much of it feels so bland is just terribly unfortunate.

The thing I'm finding most enjoyable at the moment are the dialogue and characterization of Ryder and Tempest crew, and I appreciate that the game seems to have a slightly more lighthearted tone than the original trilogy (I can't tell if this a deliberate tone shift or the result of BioWare becoming more self-aware and embracing that aspect of their development style more). I was originally having some trouble adjusting to the revamped combat, but I think I'm rolling with it a bit better now, and I found the combat sequence vs the giant Remnant robot on Eos genuinely exciting.

I'll keep playing. There are times when you get a definite sense of the spirit of the original trilogy at the core of this game, but it's often hidden away behind weird/questionable design decisions and the feeling that the game was developed to checkmark a bunch of AAA game requirements put together by committee. Hopefully the unnecessarily bloated design won't tire me out before I can finish the story.

PS: I will also say that I really like Ryder, even though I sometimes find myself thinking of Shepard while I'm playing as him. That's by design, I'm sure, as it seems Ryder's more easygoing demeanor and slight air of insecurity were deliberately conceived to contrast with Shepard's more self-assured comport. I also never cease to be freaked out by the male Ryder's voice and the fact that he sounds so much like Nolan North, even down to the cadence and inflection. There are times when I legitimately forget it's not actually him voicing the character.

Jaraghan

Anyone know some good augmentations to put on an Asari Sword? Going to respec into a pure melee build but not sure what to throw on my sword.

Freeman76

I love what they have done here. I think I am one of the rare people that enjoy having 100 menial tasks to complete if I feel like it. I loved that in DA:I as well and while the majority of the population were slating it I was secretly loving the fact I could get totally lost in it for weeks.

Performance issues aside...this is a superb game. I really felt the hooks after the first story mission on Voeld. Even though I made a huge decision that somehow has no consequences from the person I went against lol.

Love the little touches on Nexus where conversations are shaped around things you have done.

willoneill

Neo Member
This game sucks shit.

If you think the writing and story in this POS are anything above humiliating for the legacy of the entire series, I envy your threshold for that impression.

Read a half-decent book. If you think ME:A is good, one of those will break your head like a grenade.

Tohsaka

Disappeared from my quest log entirely before I downloaded the movies from the Nexus. Just gone.

Same here. I'm so glad I bothered doing all those damn side-quests related to it only to not be able to see how it ended.

Freeman76

This game sucks shit.

If you think the writing and story in this POS are anything above humiliating for the legacy of the entire series, I envy your threshold for that impression.

Read a half-decent book. If you think ME:A is good, one of those will break your head like a grenade.

The writing in most games sucks, and never matches that of a book. If you play games for the writing you picked the wrong hobby.

I'm at 90% on the fourth planet and for the most part I'm enjoying the game, but there's a lot of filler (the fetch-quest density is comical at this point, every other NPC has something scattered across the landscape) and the writing has some real problems. A lot of interesting situations are resolved in a really unsatisfactory manner within a couple of hasty lines of dialogue. Some examples:

The Firefighters quest - when you corner the
lady who is trying to destroy the Nexus computers with EMP devices, I was expecting a sticky situation where I'd have to choose my approach carefully. Instead, it's a couple of quick lines and "oh dear, I recognize the error of my ways, here's the last device".

When Lexi
sulks in the bar: I was genuinely concerned because I like the crew members and I wanted to learn more. Again, two quick comments and it's "thanks Ryder, all good now". Cue deflating balloon sound.

There have been a few really nice Mass Effect-y moments and I love the setting, but I'd prefer a more depth-over-width approach to the content.

sangreal

That's damn good. Best create-a-character I've seen so far.

It vanished for me too, but came back later after completing some more story missions.

The writing in most games sucks, and never matches that of a book. If you play games for the writing you picked the wrong hobby.

Writing is an essential part of any game that focuses on storytelling either through the main plot or its characters. In the OT the writing was good enough to instill a sense of adventure into the game. And it brought life to a wide cast of characters. It is not excellent by any means but it does the job.

So yeah, I heavily disagree with your notion that good writing is not important in a game and that you should just read a book. Gaming offers something books don't: player agency and the ability to craft your own story. Nearly every aspect of a game (worldbuilding, choice & consequence, storytelling, exploration, character progression) is dependent on the quality of the writing. The Witcher 3, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, Shadowrun: Dragonfall and The Secret World are all fantastic games that would be significantly worse without good writing.

MaxiLive

Been playing for about 15-20 hours or so, at a guess. I've gotten Eos and Voeld to 100% viability and have taken care of most sidequests in those planets. I've also advanced a few loyalty missions to the point where I need to progress further in the game before I can continue them.

I have...very mixed feelings so far. The overall game design feels extremely muddled, as though BioWare decided to throw in practically every design concept they could think of until the game became this gigantic, dizzyingly amorphous mass of AAA design choices. There are so many aspects of the game that feel bloated, excessive and, occasionally, unnecessary. As though they are present just for the sake of it, rather than to enrich or enliven the experience.

Like...why is there so much stuff in this game? Stuff to do, stuff to see and stuff to micromanage? Why is there such a big, sprawling inventory of items and resources? Why is there so much crafting and so many weapons and armor to research and develop? Why are there so many fetch quests and sidemissions where you go from one place and then to another place and then to another place (so you can activate a console)? Why are the planets so big and boring-looking and filled with mostly monotous things to do? Why are there so many random encounters with kett and Remnants? It all can honestly feel overbearing at times, and the fact that so much of it feels so bland is just terribly unfortunate.

The thing I'm finding most enjoyable at the moment are the dialogue and characterization of Ryder and Tempest crew, and I appreciate that the game seems to have a slightly more lighthearted tone than the original trilogy (I can't tell if this a deliberate tone shift or the result of BioWare becoming more self-aware and embracing that aspect of their development style more). I was originally having some trouble adjusting to the revamped combat, but I think I'm rolling with it a bit better now, and I found the combat sequence vs the giant Remnant robot on Eos genuinely exciting.

I'll keep playing. There are times when you get a definite sense of the spirit of the original trilogy at the core of this game, but it's often hidden away behind weird/questionable design decisions and the feeling that the game was developed to checkmark a bunch of AAA game requirements put together by committee. Hopefully the unnecessarily bloated design won't tire me out before I can finish the story.

PS: I will also say that I really like Ryder, even though I sometimes find myself thinking of Shepard while I'm playing as him. That's by design, I'm sure, as it seems Ryder's more easygoing demeanor and slight air of insecurity were deliberately conceived to contrast with Shepard's more self-assured comport. I also never cease to be freaked out by the male Ryder's voice and the fact that he sounds so much like Nolan North, even down to the cadence and inflection. There are times when I legitimately forget it's not actually him voicing the character.

Well put I feel the same way for the most part. I'm sure if they brought the scope of the game down it would feel a lot tighter. The most interesting side quest stuff I have found has been totally unrelated to side quests. You find a little camp where people are struggling and there is a nice little story around their issues but no missions or quests related to that. A quest will be, go find out how this crate went missing...

It has been super buggy for me at all the wrong times as well :( It took me forever to finish one mission due to bugs and I keep losing so much of the story/character chatter due to audio bugs/SAM interrupting. I also have my quad mates randomly spouting a line but no one responds it feels super weird.

xealo

No. It starts ramping up a bit towards the end, but too little, too late. Game is still fun, but not for the same reasons as ME2/ME3 having focused narratives. Combat and vehicle exploration is the strong points rather than the story.

Alo0oy

Banned
Is anybody else respec-ing every so often? I've been doing it almost every day, a lot of biotic powers are underwhelming so I keep switching around.

I think I'm going to try Annihilation + Charge today, that combo might finally click.

If I'm understanding Annihilation correctly, it stays around your character for as long as you leave it active, right?

The more i progress the worse the performance gets on XboxOne it feels like.

Did a loyality mission on Eos and my goodness... i had a 5 minute fight or so where my game would stay at 20fps or lower...

It was disgusting. Everytime i craft, sell and research something on the tempest, the framerate will tank for some amount of time.

Feels like the game has a Memory leak or something... its annoying

I haven't beat it yet, but is it possible the sequel can just handwave us away from this rocky start and just be set 100+200 years after the colonization of Andromeda so we can go back to having interesting stories? Too much to ask?

xealo

I haven't beat it yet, but is it possible the sequel can just handwave us away from this rocky start and just be set 100+200 years after the colonization of Andromeda so we can go back to having interesting stories? Too much to ask?

In my opinion, it's just the isolated story presentation of the game that's bad. The work it does to establish it as a setting can work without any massive time skip, with the direction things seems to be heading from the ending.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
So there are definitely dialogue exchanges in this I think are hilarious, one of my favourites being during a main mission

SPOILERS!

You and your 2 sidekicks are stuck in an immobilising field and the only way to get you out is for SAM to literally kill you and bring you back

So he stops your heart and brings you back eventually

"Ugh that's the second time that's happened and it never gets any easier"

*sees Drack and Jaal immoblilised in the field still*

"Well my my, aren't you two looking comfortable"

"Ryder.  Get us out.  Now."

Very silly but I laughed for a good 5 mins at that.

The more i progress the worse the performance gets on XboxOne it feels like.

Did a loyality mission on Eos and my goodness... i had a 5 minute fight or so where my game would stay at 20fps or lower...

It was disgusting. Everytime i craft, sell and research something on the tempest, the framerate will tank for some amount of time.

Feels like the game has a Memory leak or something... its annoying
I'm honestly not sure how much of it is actual performance issue and how much is just bugs, making the game play like that. I'm playing on base PS4 and last night I came across some weird situation which made Ryder's moving and running animations stutter as hell, while everything else in the scene (including the camera movements) were completely smooth.

This game really needed a few extra months to be more polished and optimized.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm up to Eladeen, so I'm guessing not so far from the end, but I've yet to see any leads to
the Salarian Ark. Did I miss something or do you get your first lead very late compared to the other two?

Top Bottom