• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

I'm up to Eladeen, so I'm guessing not so far from the end, but I've yet to see any leads to
the Salarian Ark. Did I miss something or do you get your first lead very late compared to the other two?

you get it very late, don't worry you won't miss it

my god the quest lists just keep going and going. I basically ignore the "tasks" but I dont want to miss any loyalty missions especially for characters I dont usually roll with on missions.

bati

my god the quest lists just keep going and going. I basically ignore the "tasks" but I dont want to miss any loyalty missions especially for characters I dont usually roll with on missions.

Good thing they have their own category in the journal. I too ignored a lot of the tasks. Having to find randomly spawned items in a huge level without any quest marker or description is just stupid, it's as if someone at Bioware really hates players and decided to put this in just to annoy us.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Good thing they have their own category in the journal. I too ignored a lot of the tasks. Having to find randomly spawned items in a huge level without any quest marker or description is just stupid, it's as if someone at Bioware really hates players and decided to put this in just to annoy us.

"People love to explore on their own! Let's give them some tasks like this!" -Bioware

Yeah... except when the map is freaking huge and it would take hours to find everything without any sort of markers whatsoever. I still haven't finished that task asking to find dead people on Eos. I might have found like 4-5 corpses while doing more important missions, and still that wasn't enough to finish it. No way i'm looking all over Eos for one or two corpses where the reward is probably just a "Thank you Ryder, here is 250xp".

I seriously hope they add markers to some of those tasks in a future patch. It make no sense that they would put markers for finding minerals and plants, but not corpses on Eos or Roekaar manifestos on Havarl.

I thought they'd learn from DA:I about bullshit padding but apparently not.

X-Frame

Is anybody else respec-ing every so often? I've been doing it almost every day, a lot of biotic powers are underwhelming so I keep switching around.

I think I'm going to try Annihilation + Charge today, that combo might finally click.

If I'm understanding Annihilation correctly, it stays around your character for as long as you leave it active, right?

Charge + Annihilation with the Vanguard profile and good melee weapon is a lot of fun and very powerful. With the Vanguard profile you get shields back with every melee hit. Plus if you spec Annihilation for enemy debuff, and getting shields back from kills inside the radius you'll just be getting shields back constantly, especially with Charge.

Also spec into Barrier and Offensive Biotics to augment the build even more.

Matush

So, is there any reason to buy more expensive equipment for Strike teams that gives you lower effectiveness than the one that is cheaper?

I don't get it why I should pay more credits for lower effectiveness. Another misstep on Bioware's part?

Deathknell

Pc version of the game should become moddable in just few hours thanks to CPY group (they cracked lots of Denuvo protected games).

Once again a pirated game will be superior to it's legit counterpart..

prag16

Banned
Same here. I'm so glad I bothered doing all those damn side-quests related to it only to not be able to see how it ended.
Oddly enough last night I did Cora's loyalty mission, and the next leg of
hunting the Archon
, and after that the quest was back in my journal. Weird.

xealo

I think they intended for people to do many of the things in the tasks section at random only if they found themselves nearby by exploration, hence no map tracking and random spawns.

That didn't work out. They underestimated how strongly some people feel about doing absolutely everything inside a game.

I think they intended for people to do many of the things in the tasks section at random only if they found themselves nearby by exploration, hence no map tracking and random spawns.

That didn't work out. They underestimated how strongly some people feel about doing absolutely everything inside a game.

Undercooked fetch quests are detrimental to a story-based single player experience?
What. A. Surprise.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I...think I can't finish anything on Kadara because the murder investigation thing seems bugged.

I scanned the krogan and everything in the area, the quest keeps pointing me outside the door where I already have been and I can't progress it. And if I can't do that I can't do anything more with Reyes which blocks being able to do anything here. Welp.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
The small Tasks actually felt worthwhile to me at first, for the first 2 or 3 planets, but eventually the list just kept getting longer and I kind of moved away from doing them naturally, without realising. Now I don't even really look at that section of my journal, I mainly find myself doing what's on the map.

I would say though, the Priority, Relationship and Heleus missions add up to tens of hours of content without doing a single Task.

Edit: I fought
the Architect on Voeld
and did Liam's, "All In" loyalty mission last night and it was all great fun. Again, I'm finding so much to like about this game.

I...think I can't finish anything on Kadara because the murder investigation thing seems bugged.

I scanned the krogan and everything in the area, the quest keeps pointing me outside the door where I already have been and I can't progress it. And if I can't do that I can't do anything more with Reyes which blocks being able to do anything here. Welp.

My friend had this problem
check on one of the containers outside the front door there should be a bloody knife on top of the first one

xealo

Undercooked fetch quests are detrimental to a story-based single player experience?
What. A. Surprise.

The game has actual side quests too. That's why they're not in the same section of the journal. But again, some players feel compelled to do content they don't really enjoy for some masochistic reason just because it's there. The amount of "tasks" in this game could certainly use some pretty heavy trimming and it would be better for it. The game is easily 50+ hours longs even if you ignore all the bullshit in the tasks section.

Caboose

They should have just deleted everything in the Additional Tasks section. Game is big enough as it is. Would have been that much more time and money freed up for polish.

goishen

Charge + Annihilation with the Vanguard profile and good melee weapon is a lot of fun and very powerful. With the Vanguard profile you get shields back with every melee hit. Plus if you spec Annihilation for enemy debuff, and getting shields back from kills inside the radius you'll just be getting shields back constantly, especially with Charge.

It seems more and more that people who took that power, biotic charge, are the happiest Seems odd to me that they'd have balancing issues in a SP game, but I suppose whenever you have a disparity of thirty minutes to fight the cardinal versus maybe maybe five or ten, you've got problems.

Cardinal is the last Kett boss on Voeld in the crit path.

Alo0oy

Banned

Yeah, that + Backlash when I get surrounded will hopefully click, not sure if I want to use the Krogan Hammer for the AoE or the omni-blade for the fast shield recharge though, resources are a pain to get in this game.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
I think I'd agree Andromeda would be a better overall package without the Tasks, much like I'd agree that Inquisition would've been better without it's smallest side quests. In my opinion, Bioware (and other developers, to be fair) need to get past thinking that bigger maps have to be filled with more content. Empty spaces are alright from time to time.

They should have just deleted everything in the Additional Tasks section. Game is big enough as it is. Would have been that much more time and money freed up for polish.
Some of those aren't really bad though. Like, there is one that you have to talk to certain people on Aya which was good and felt appropriate considering the tone of ME:A.

I agree though, the majority of them are just extra busywork and should've been removed.

Alo0oy

Banned
I think I'd agree Andromeda would be a better overall package without the Tasks, much like I'd agree that Inquisition would've been better without it's smallest side quests. In my opinion, Bioware (and other developers, to be fair) need to get past thinking that bigger maps have to be filled with more content. Empty spaces are alright from time to time.

I think tasks are fine as long as there's an interesting story attached to them, but in this game you don't even get Ryder acknowledging them. I would be fine scanning minerals if you get funny dialog between each mineral and a good cutscene after completing the set.

royox

My gosh Drack, stop making me laugh on every party banter.

Who told this game had "a bad crew"? Most of them are amazing. Loving everyone...except Peebe because Internet made me hate her even before meeting her.

pmj

What's so maddening here is that in an interview about Inquisition, Bioware acknowledged that players felt compelled to complete the tasks the game hands you, even if it's a ton of low quality filler, and that this hurt their experience. A miscalibration, they said. And yet they did it again.

I know I should progress with the main story, yet every time I start the game I do some more cleaning of icons on the map.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
I think tasks are fine as long as there's an interesting story attached to them, but in this game you don't even get Ryder acknowledging them. I would be fine scanning minerals if you get funny dialog between each mineral and a good cutscene after completing the set.

Yeah I get what you're saying. It goes back to the question, does what you're doing feel worthwhile? There's definitely a place for small scale side content in these kind of games, but I think the last 2 Bioware titles just have too much of it. Eventually it all bleeds together and becomes a mass of stuff that drags out the experience.

In the past I've sat down to play and found myself like 2 hours later, no further forward with any of the main or secondary plot threads and thinking, "what have I even been doing?". That can't be a worthwhile use of my time. But meaningful side content, like you say, that tells a memorable little story of it's own or rewards you in some way, is always worthwhile.

To be clear, I've enjoyed a lot of the Tasks in Andromeda. A few hours back, I'd actually have argued that Bioware had turned a corner with them. But the Task list just keeps growing, and growing, and growing... It just gets too much in the end.

Effect

Starting to hit a wall with the ice world. Easier to get around compared to others but all the more boring as a result. It's here where were the game really does feel like Inquisition in a bad way with just mission after mission being thrown at me because npcs can't do things themselves. Thankfully you can burn through these missions fairly quickly because of the fast travel and nomad. Faster then you could in DQ:I at least. I was doing that last time as I didn't want to start a main mission given that it was so late and didn't want to be up to late. However it's my least liked planet at the moment. I don't hate it mind you but like the others more. I think the issue is that there is nothing interesting to see in the location other then the ice. It's just visually very boring I feel.

Also I'm noticing something weird. Performance for the game takes a hit when I'm on the Tempest. I'm fine planet side and on the Nexus. Yet the tiny ship is what is hitting my machine!? Nothing I do really improves this and it's gotten worse since Peebee, Drack, and then Jaal came on board. Can't handle the additional characters!?

Anyone else experience this?

I have to say I like the characters. Animations of course ruin some things but they're pretty good.

However I DO NOT like how some missions just simply end with no acknowledgment of what was just done by Ryder or anyone else. That shit is bugging the hell out of me after the time that is being put in to finish them. Some of them do have actual endings but many don't and I'm starting to hate that. It may not seem like much or something that would be an issue but it's sort of becoming one and I'm actually surprised it bothered me .

megalowho

Finished last night. Man, some of those last few non-task quests they throw at you near the end are so blatant when it comes to multi-step padding. Neat little threads but obnoxiously paced, especially when you're ready for things to wrap up.

Could probably write a few paragraphs on my thoughts both positive and negative but really I'm just glad to be done so I can move on to Persona 5. A middling, formulaic and buggy entry in what was probably my favorite series of the previous gen. The choppiness and freezing I was getting by the last 1/3 of the game on PS4 was almost unbearable.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Also I'm noticing something weird. Performance for the game takes a hit when I'm on the Tempest. I'm fine planet side and on the Nexus. Yet the tiny ship is what is hitting my machine!? Nothing I do really improves this and it's gotten worse since Peebee, Drack, and then Jaal came on board. Can't handle the additional characters!?

Anyone else experience this?

Funny you ask. Yep, the Tempest seems to be where my game acts up. Characters phase around in a weird way from time to time, in dialogues or just when Sara enters a room. I've started a conversation in one room and somehow been standing in a different room when finished talking. Characters lean against invisible railings sometimes. FPS noticeably drops, unexpectedly. I'm sometimes sure the doors are taking longer to open, but then it seems fine.

It's strange, but I can't really remember any bugs or glitches on planets either. I always get loads of dialogue between squad mates, for example. Combat is always snappy and responsive. And I think I've always had cool, ambient background music playing on each planet I've been on so far.

obeast

The game has actual side quests too. That's why they're not in the same section of the journal. But again, some players feel compelled to do content they don't really enjoy for some masochistic reason just because it's there. The amount of "tasks" in this game could certainly use some pretty heavy trimming and it would be better for it. The game is easily 50+ hours longs even if you ignore all the bullshit in the tasks section.

The problem, though, is that even the non-tasks are less than perfect about respecting the player's time. There is a lot of meaningless padding in long questlines, in which the entire quest chain couldn't be fairly called a "fetch quest" but many individual links are precisely that. I flat-out bailed on Peebee's loyalty mission, for instance, because I couldn't handle the amount of relatively meaningless travel involved. Perhaps it would have paid off, eventually, but the game lost me before I saw. This is a pretty pervasive problem in the game: there are *lots* of otherwise decent questlines that would be much improved simply by chopping out a few steps. Also, although the game does segregate tasks from the rest of the quests, the rest of the interface -- and the narrative -- don't tend to give you much in the way of a clue as to whether the quest that just popped onto your screen is a "task" or a real quest. Per my memory, they often feel important to the narrative, which puts pressure on the player to get them done.

To be honest, I think this is the source of a lot of the frustration about the way the galaxy map functions. I quite like it, in the abstract: it gives a sense of place, occasionally even of exploratory wonder, and of scale. But because you're so often forced to use it in the service of frankly dull quest objectives, it quickly becomes an irritant. I think it would have worked well in a tighter game.

That said, I finished the game last night, and I'm a bit higher on it than I was before. I thought that it mostly nailed its last few main-plot quests, which tie together the work (and it did feel like work, often) you did over the course of the whole game.

Effect

Funny you ask. Yep, the Tempest seems to be where my game acts up. Characters phase around in a weird way from time to time, in dialogues or just when Sara enters a room. I've started a conversation in one room and somehow been standing in a different room when finished talking. Characters lean against invisible railings sometimes. FPS noticeably drops, unexpectedly. I'm sometimes sure the doors are taking longer to open, but then it seems fine.

It's strange, but I can't really remember any bugs or glitches on planets either. I always get loads of dialogue between squad mates, for example. Combat is always snappy and responsive. And I think I've always had cool, ambient background music playing on each planet I've been on so far.

Same here. The bulk of the bugs or glitches I've experienced has been on the ship. Peebee is almost always certain to be standing in a weird pose after talking with her when she's in the cargo/engineering section. Characters are always rushing to get into position or being slide into position. I get none of this when I'm on the Nexus with people or running around with them on a planet. It's at a point where I really don't want to go on the ship unless I really have to unless I'm loading the game up to start a session and then I'm fine.

blakep267

I wish there was a test range or some way to try out guns before I craft them. Ex. I thought a laser pistol would be cool. Like a blaster basically. In reality it's kind of garbage

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Peebee is almost always certain to be standing in a weird pose after talking with her when she's in the cargo/engineering section.

Haha, yep. Peebee is always extreme yoga-pose leaning on that invisible railing. Lexi seems to be a fan of the phase-slide into position at the central terminal (by the way, strike team ready for deployment...). Maybe it's an Asari thing.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
My gosh Drack, stop making me laugh on every party banter.

Who told this game had "a bad crew"? Most of them are amazing. Loving everyone...except Peebe because Internet made me hate her even before meeting her.

I love how he says "Shhhhhieeeettt" when you
fall into a ravine on that moon-like planet.

bati

Loving everyone...except Peebe because Internet made me hate her even before meeting her.

I love Peebee and I was so ready to throw her out the airlock because of the promo vids they've shown before release. Marketing department really failed her and the people who wrote her character. Imo her personality is a perfect fit for the tone of the game, plus her VA is really good.

AsianOni

I'm stuck at 99% progression with at least 3 bugged tasks... Hopefully tomorrow brings some good news before my third playthrough.

I love Peebee and I was so ready to throw her out the airlock because of the promo vids they've shown before release. Marketing department really failed her and the people who wrote her character. Imo her personality is a perfect fit for the tone of the game, plus her VA is really good.
This. So much this!

I'm ready to eat a ton of crows cause I hated her from all the marketing material. But she is one of the best characters in the game (after Drack obviously). I love her so much.

Grisby

Had a bug where my Ryder talked like he still had his space helmet on even though he didn't.

"Ryder, my family blah blah and I don't know what to do!?"

"Bbbbzztttt mission control, Liam's feeling a little down. What should I do? Over."
The more i progress the worse the performance gets on XboxOne it feels like.

Did a loyality mission on Eos and my goodness... i had a 5 minute fight or so where my game would stay at 20fps or lower...

It was disgusting. Everytime i craft, sell and research something on the tempest, the framerate will tank for some amount of time.

Feels like the game has a Memory leak or something... its annoying
It's the same on PS4. If I research and build something the framerate tanks until I go back to the very front of the ship.

Eos runs worse after 70 hours than it did in the beginning.

People max out all the common gear so that they don't show up when you buy higher tier packs.

That's even worse then. They just get replaced with a consumable. So now you've wasted even more credits, because that common you dropped 5k on and aren't using would have shown up later for free.

You don't roll a common in a higher tier pack and have it turn into a silver because you've maxed commons. That's not how the game works.

Aspiring

26 hours in and had my first bug and crash. I was on EOS destroying a kett base when randomly enemies where invisible. Than after a few minutes it started freezing and than crashed to the ps4 menu. Lost around 25 minutes progress. I could have broke the disc haha.

Effect

I do have to agree that I really do like the cast. The dialogue between them is just fine as well. Some of the examples that were shown as the bad really are extremely early in the game and during character introductions. So bad first impressions to some degree during the intros. After that I don't see what people could be having issues with. Count me in as having Peebee being one my favorite characters as well.

I'm not finding that the writing is any worse then past Mass Effect games either. It's different because the characters are different but that's it. As said before your impression of Ryder depends on the dialogue choices you make. If you don't like a certain tone then don't answer that way going forward. No matter what though there is an overall thing that Ryder is jokey or uses jokes to cover up their nervousness because they're in over their head. I'm sure we've all meet people like that. So might even be like that. I think that becomes clear pretty early on. That puts that first major mission debriefing on the Tempest in the proper context. I thought it was a cringe worthy scene when I saw it in videos but seeing how that scene fully ends makes it work. At least for me.

MCD250

Peebee's for sure my favorite character too. She's super charming and I really like her design and her sense of humor. Plus, she is voiced by Drake's girlfriend in Uncharted: Golden Abyss, so the fact that the male Ryder sounds so much like Nolan North sort of adds this additional layer of humor for me.

I like all the cast though, to be honest. Even more incidental players like Suvi are likable. Some of your squadmates feel a bit like riffs on your ME1 companions (Drack, for instance, feels like a slightly meaner, more paternalistic version of Wrex), but that's just fine with me. The only one I'm a little bit shaky on is Cora, and that's only because the way she responds when you flirt with her feels like it jars a little with her typical demeanor towards you. I otherwise really like talking to her and find her interesting.

That's even worse then. They just get replaced with a consumable. So now you've wasted even more credits, because that common you dropped 5k on and aren't using would have shown up later for free.

You don't roll a common in a higher tier pack and have it turn into a silver because you've maxed commons. That's not how the game works.
The point is to be done all the common crap do it isn't wasting spots in the more expensive packs.

Where in the game do I go to get my strike team rewards? I am at 200/200 now.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Kandara is pretty lame. Hoping to knock that out and hope the 4th big planet is better.

Think I'm going to give up the idea of getting them all to 100% viability as the exploration and sidequests have gotten tedious as hell for me. Will just get them viable enough to get a settlement on each probably, do the loyalty quests and finish up the game.

Effect

The romance/flirting in general can be quite iffy. A good deal of it doesn't seem natural. This was going to be an issue no matter because it seems to be in the games now just to be there. It's a check box now rather then being a possible part of the story. I also don't like that the flirting can be triggered so soon. That's a big part of why it doesn't feel natural think. This is a case where the narrative should have taken priority over options.

prag16

Banned
Kandara is pretty lame. Hoping to knock that out and hope the 4th big planet is better.

Think I'm going to give up the idea of getting them all to 100% viability as the exploration and sidequests have gotten tedious as hell for me. Will just get them viable enough to get a settlement on each probably, do the loyalty quests and finish up the game.

Heh, I actually liked Kadara more than the preceding three hub/planets (except for the tedious navigation between open world, lower city, and upper city zones).

I have Voald at 100%, and Kadara and Eos above 80%. Havarl is the worst planet of the bunch so far; it's at like 20% and not even sure if I'll bother doing much more there unless I end up there anyway for main/loyalty stuff later on.

In general though, this game would have benefited from somebody going into the Additional Tasks section, doing a CTRL+A -> Delete. And they still probably would have had a 50 hour game on their hands with all the other content... Some of this "content"... don't get me started on the "Contagion" task... -_-

obeast

The romance/flirting in general can be quite iffy. A good deal of it doesn't seem natural. This was going to be an issue no matter because it seems to be in the games now just to be there. It's a check box now rather then being a possible part of the story. I also don't like that the flirting can be triggered so soon. That's a big part of why it doesn't feel natural think. This is a case where the narrative should have taken priority over options.

Some of the "side" romance characters made me laugh out loud by essentially stepping out of the game to inform me of what I had to do on a questing basis to earn my virtual fornication (I'm thinking of the
asari journalist and the museum angaran
, specifically).

In general, I'm not a fan of labeling "flirt" dialogue explicitly as such. It's much too "gamey," and I think totally unnecessary, especially when it's often underwritten.

BouncyFrag

I wish we had the option to ask Corra to stop mentioning how she is okay with him being made pathfinder every time we chat because she clearly isnt okay with it, lol. That and restricting her access to the pathfinder office on the Nexus would be fun. ;)

pmj

Did Drack's loyalty mission and the last cutscenes played out from weird camera angles, with no voices audible, and t-pose characters teleporting around, hovering above the ground, and sometimes rattling about like it was an earthquake. Now it has been stuck on the loading screen for about five minutes.

Top Bottom