• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

X-Frame

The re-spec computer in the Tempest is a Godsend.

My original build was *awful*.

It just increases in cost each time by 500? If so that's great. It's relatively cheap to do it a dozen times if needed. I respec'ed at least 6 times my first playthrough.

It's a bit confusing why the same increase is applied to squadmates too though.

Silexx

Every time it tells me I need to be online. Is there no way to make yourself be online in game?

Yeah, it's kinda stupid how they did this, but on the main menu screen, you need to wait until your status is confirmed to be online. If you load your save before it you have a chance to connect, it will not attempt to reconnect until you're back at the main menu.

Schlorgan

On the DLC front, probably free multiplayer DLC, and vague plans to put out a couple single player DLCs down the line. If we're lucky maybe they'll offer something that was previously going to be paid as free to get some good will.
I can see that happening.

mbpm1

Ive posted these before and some people would copy the same skills I use and they come back saying that theirs are no where near as effective as mines.

Even if you saw the skills im using in those gifs and try to do the same, you'd fail at recreating the same effect because those effects goes deeper than just skill selection. The weapon, the weapon augs, the armor im wearing, the armor augs, the armor mods, the passives, the profile, all that is focuses on strengthening the effects of those skills. When you get it just right, as you can see, the effects are devastating. And those gifs are on insanity
Makes sense, this was made by the MP guys from Me3

Finished it a few hours ago and I was definitely satisfied with the game. One of my favorite moments in the game was Liam's Loyalty Quest. I was laughing from beginning to end. It may have started off slow but I enjoyed the game immensely.

Madness

It just increases in cost each time by 500? If so that's great. It's relatively cheap to do it a dozen times if needed. I respec'ed at least 6 times my first playthrough.

It's a bit confusing why the same increase is applied to squadmates too though.

It doubles doesn't it? 20 for first. 520 for next. 1040 for next. 3000 for next etc. I think they should just cap it at 3000. So stupid when you can respec and add longevity and screw around with builds. Settle on what you like etc.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Got "killed"(health and barrrier gone) by a Fiend, screen turned black, but could still see the UI and the game was continuing until my squad killed the rest. Could hear myself jumping and shooting afterwards, but the screen stayed black and I couldn't go to the main menu to reload. Yay for Alt+F4. =/

At least, it's the first time it happened to me after dozens of hours, so not that frequent.

Had another weird bug yesterday where I suddenly lost sound. Had to reload the whole game.

There's a lot of weird, rare, bugs that needs to be fixed on top of the more common issues like SAM needing to shut up whenever there's a hazard on you or not or whenever there's a mineral zone nearby. I'm really surprised Bioware or their testers weren't bothered by this. I mean, it's really really annoying and impossible to miss and probably simple to fix since it's just audio files to remove.

Lt-47

There's a lot of weird, rare, bugs that needs to be fixed on top of the more common issues like SAM needing to shut up whenever there's a hazard on you or not or whenever there's a mineral zone nearby. I'm really surprised Bioware or their testers weren't bothered by this. I mean, it's really really annoying and impossible to miss and probably simple to fix since it's just audio files to remove.

You'd surprised by how much things can break by "simply removing audio files". And I doubt they want to remove it completely, they'll probably put a timer on it to make him speak less often. That being said it shouldn't be too hard to fix

JeffG

Got "killed"(health and barrrier gone) by a Fiend, screen turned black, but could still see the UI and the game was continuing until my squad killed the rest. Could hear myself jumping and shooting afterwards, but the screen stayed black and I couldn't go to the main menu to reload. Yay for Alt+F4. =/
Happened to me on the XBox. In the battle at Kett base before jumping on a shuttle

Vengal

You'd surprised by how much things can break by "simply removing audio files". And I doubt they want to remove it completely, they'll probably put a timer on it to make him speak less often. That begin said it shouldn't be too hard to fixe

Tomorrow will be interesting to see what they say. I find SAM extremely annoying, but also on the same level as the take off land audio for every location. Even though I find that stuff super annoying it wouldn't even be in my top 10 in for their team to tackle first.

Bisnic

Can you change your appearance or gender when doing a NG+? I'd love to keep my skill points/inventory/lvl but change my look if I do that.

Finished it, really liked it overall. Time will tell where it stand with the trilogy, but since it's fresh it's probably going to rank somewhere in the middle.

Despite the bugs, some lore discrepancies, wonky animations, some audio cutting out, a few T-Poses making some cutscenes hilarious, and a crash so bad I had to reboot my PS4 in order to continue, I'm glad I hung in there.

Best parts: Characters, characters, characters. I can say this is probably the first time I've liked the accompanying crew as a whole. Individually, no one has reached Garrus or Mordin for me, but a few of these party members/crewmates are up there beyond several of the OT ones. Vetra, Jaal, Drack, and even PeeBee were standouts. I loved Gil and Kallo a lot, and really liked Lexi and Suvi. Cora, I came around to, and Liam's loyalty mission helped out a ton in making him a more enjoyable character.

Combat was the best it's ever been, and I was really happy to see a return to exploring planets, like ME1. I agree with some of the posts I've read about having way too many randomly placed mini-pockets of enemies and pointless fetch quests, to the point where if it wasn't on my way to something, I'd just ignore it. The Nomad feels great to drive around.

Worst parts: I liked this journey overall, and frankly, I'm just really happy to have another Mass Effect game, but the story needed a lot more work. The animations could have used more refinement, obviously, as if the internet hadn't beaten that point to death. The music was stuck in the background too often, and while there wasn't that many memorable pieces, the ones that did (Voeld) were quite nice. Glitches, sound bugs, invisible enemies, sluggish frame-rate/slowdown, etc; had a few of those, but I guess I got lucky compared to what I've seen.

Ending:
Despite the cliches in the story and some of the cartoonish supervillainy on display at times, I have to admit I didn't expect to be able to play as both Ryders, even briefly, within the same game. The wave after wave stuff was okay, I'm not sure what they could have done differently. I'm happy to see all of the support from everyone you helped in game, even if it was just a few vocal sentences from some of them. Really happy to see that whoever I didn't pick showed up to help in the final fight. As a last 'thank you for playing' my game glitched Reyes at the crowd scene so he T-posed while everyone looked on, ha.

Best parts: Movie night! Also, a great conversation between PeeBee and Drack while driving around where
PeeBee mentions her Elcor father. Not sure if she was trolling, but she sold it well. Drack's hearty laugh about all of it
made it my favorite conversation.

I want Gil DLC.

Ushay

What I hope:

An 'above normal' patching/fixing effort to tackle the major issues with the game, possibly revamping facial animations, adding more options to the character creator, giving more accessibility options like being able to skip planet intro/exit video files and shorten or skip galaxy traveling, improve frame rate in console version, add 1080p/high frame rate mode for PS4 Pro, add more casual clothes for non-combat mission segments.

And hopefully free story DLC for the Quarian Ark.

There is no way they will put a mediocre effort into fixing the animations, the media backlash was quite prominent and if they have any desire to salvage Mass Effect as a franchise they will update the game with these fixes/amendments and probably offer a free DLC linked to the campaign to get players to jump back in. This is exactly why I haven't started the campaign yet, I'd rather play the best version of it later this year.

What I don't understand is why they didn't use motion capture or something similar for the important sections of the game. It feels like they outsourced this part of development.

Bisnic

Wow, black screen happened to me again...

Note to self : Stay away from melee range of Fiends in Elaaden.

RDreamer

My love for Mass effect overcame the skepticism, just picked it up, can't wait to dig in.

Good luck. Hope you dig it, because I know how it feels to be highly disappointed in a series you love (FFXV, I'm looking at you). There's a lot to like here, though. I was a bit skeptical but overall I'm really loving it. Sadly the ONLY game that could pull me away from this is coming out tonight, but I'll get this finished soon.

Best parts: Movie night! Also, a great conversation between PeeBee and Drack while driving around where
PeeBee mentions her Elcor father. Not sure if she was trolling, but she sold it well. Drack's hearty laugh about all of it
made it my favorite conversation.

That conversation cemented Drak/Peebee as best party.

Bisnic

Good luck. Hope you dig it, because I know how it feels to be highly disappointed in a series you love (FFXV, I'm looking at you). There's a lot to like here, though. I was a bit skeptical but overall I'm really loving it. Sadly the ONLY game that could pull me away from this is coming out tonight, but I'll get this finished soon.

That conversation cemented Drak/Peebee as best party.

Been using Drak/Jaal so far and was thinking of going Peebee/Vetra on my next playthrough, but Drack is so fun I might just go Peebee/Drak.

Finished it just now. Man that last mission was nearly perfect. They really listened to the criticisms from ME3 cause that's exactly how ME3's last mission should've played out. Still couldn't top the GOAT, which is the suicide mission in ME2 though.

Another point that I think they really listened to, was the lack of closure in ME3. I just finish ME:A and I really feel good about it, cause it had a very nice closure to it with all the characters. Also the way they handled the ending makes me way more interested in the idea of coming back and playing some more. It makes me feel good, unlike ME3.

Biggest surprise of the game were characters. Drake is the best. Jaal is very cool. Peebee is.... oh man, I'm really gonna miss Peebee. The lines between her and Sara, especially the romantic ones are just nice to listen to. They have a very good chemistry. Rest of the crew are all fun to interact with in their own way. Except for Liam, I really didn't like him.

You know what? Overall I really enjoyed ME:A. Yeah, it has tons of problems and I'm gonna give Bioware shit for that, but credit where credit is due, cause ME:A is a very fun Mass Effect game with genuinely interesting characters. Bring on the DLCs and hopefully the sequel Bioware. I want more from this universe and these characters.

Schlorgan

I really like this game, but it's also the only one I have to play for now. No Horizon or Persona since I don't have a PS4 and no Zelda since I don't have a Wii U or a Switch. This is basically all I have until Shadow of War. It's a good thing I like it enough to play it a bunch in the meantime. :)

prag16

Banned
Been using Drak/Jaal so far and was thinking of going Peebee/Vetra on my next playthrough, but Drack is so fun I might just go Peebee/Drak.

I've done a fair bit of mixing and matching and no combination has been a disappointment at any time in terms of banter. Drack, Jaal, Vetra, Peebee, and even Cora had some good back and forth in various combos. Liam I've probably used the least, but when I've had him in, it's been pretty good too.

abundant

It doubles doesn't it? 20 for first. 520 for next. 1040 for next. 3000 for next etc. I think they should just cap it at 3000. So stupid when you can respec and add longevity and screw around with builds. Settle on what you like etc.

No, it adds 500 to the cost per turn. First time is 20, second is 520, third is 1020, etc.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Guys can someone please help with the following questions:

• Where do I buy Shield Oscillators again? I already used one and I cant find anymore out in the field.
  • Where can I find ultra rare augmentations? Is it RNG? Why cant I create these augmentations myself?
  • Most shops have shit augmentations. I haven't been to the last two outposts but Eos, Nexus, Veold and Harval dont have any good mods or augmentations for sale. I have used the cryo pod point to give the shops better gear and bought N7 Armor IVs but I'd like to buy some goddamn augmentations.
  • Any way to acquire Milky way points? I have like 2k Helius and 1.5k Remnant points but only 300 milky way and those are mostly from the cryo pod research perk.
  • Any good 'powerful' guns i should research from Remnant and Helius tech? All the best guns appear to be in Milky Way. I am playing as biotic with close quarter combat abilities so a good ultra rare shotgun with forgiving accuracy would be good. bought a couple of expensive shotguns that fire a single slug and they suck.

Schlorgan

[*]Any good 'powerful' guns i should research from Remnant and Helius tech? All the best guns appear to be in Milky Way. I am playing as biotic with close quarter combat abilities so a good ultra rare shotgun with forgiving accuracy would be good. bought a couple of expensive shotguns that fire a single slug and they suck.
I'm partial to the Sweeper Assault Rifle (Remnant) myself.

Edit: shotguns, never mind. Haven't messed with those a lot. xD

deafmedal

Can you change your appearance or gender when doing a NG+? I'd love to keep my skill points/inventory/lvl but change my look if I do that.
yup, you can even use your sibling from first play through if you like, although papa ryder may be different lol.
remnant vi
will be locked out again tho but starting planet was much better with full powers imo (doing insanity on ng+).

about peebee's
father, i learned that from jaal in the hologram room on the nexus lol, so prolly true!

@slimeysnake, reegar for all your unforgiving UR shotgun needs, thing is op and you can fit it with penetration mods even tho it shoots energy. it was great in 3, still awesome in me:a

Madness

Does the game has any good post-game contents? Any good boss fights or interesting side-quests that become available after finishing the game?

Depends. Nothing opens up post game that you couldn't do before the final mission. Inevitably getting to 100% viability means you may run into the Architects. They are giant Remnant 3 tentacle creatures. You can either fight them before if you did the quests or save for post-game.

Toa TAK

Banned
yup, you can even use your sibling from first play through if you like, although papa ryder may be different lol.
remnant vi
will be locked out again tho but starting planet was much better with full powers imo (doing insanity on ng+).
This is great.

Also, I love that you can replay missions in this game (main missions and loyalty). Fantastic.

deafmedal

This is great.

Also, I love that you can replay missions in this game (main missions and loyalty). Fantastic.
really?! i didn't try but that would be fantastic, good way to test guns and builds (less so builds). to test guns now i load to the no nomad planet and get to a waypoint and swap around, there is always things to kill there.

Nekrono

So, I've been hearing a lot of good things about the last mission and ending of Andromeda, praising it for fixing a lot of the issues with ME3 ending.

I'm still around halfway through the game but as someone that did not finish ME3 I have to ask... why do people hate the ending so much? Lack of options to validate your choices through the trilogy or just a really bad way to conclude the lore/universe that BioWare created?

RDreamer

So, I've been hearing a lot of good things about the last mission and ending of Andromeda, praising it for fixing a lot of the issues with ME3 ending.

I'm still around halfway through the game but as someone that did not finish ME3 I have to ask... why do people hate the ending so much? Lack of options to validate your choices through the trilogy or just a really bad way to conclude the lore/universe that BioWare created?

Basically the very ending of ME3 you're given three choices, and those lead to massive, massive changes in the universe and a lot of questions surrounding them. They're also really disconnected from what's happened before in the story, and the choices are so big that it's pretty much the entire reason this new game isn't set in the Milky Way.

Personally, I didn't mind the ending, because I pretty much treated the entire ME3 as 'the ending' to the trilogy, but I can see why people wouldn't be as into it.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
I enjoyed meeting
Sloane Kelly. In particular I liked that the meeting didn't go well at all, and it felt like that was because of the choices I made. In less than a minute, she and Sara were pointing guns at each other and Sara was backing away slowly.
Hopefully there are repercussions from that.

I feel like this game maybe has more options for how you want dialogue to go, or situations to play out, than even the original trilogy did. There have definitely been some decisions to make during small side quests as well, which is really cool. For example,
what to do about the experiment those ex-Cerberus(!) scientists are carrying out on Kadara?

Rozart

Question about a quest on Kadara:

Will there be major repercussions for not handing the Angaran traitor over to Evfra/not staying on Sloane's good side during that initial meeting? Because I'm kinda torn between wanting to mantain my good relationship with the Resistance and wanting to be cordial to the Outcasts-- just in case I decide to side with them in the future.

Tacitus_

Wow, black screen happened to me again...

Note to self : Stay away from melee range of Fiends in Elaaden.

Yeah the OHKO ability of the Fiends is definitely bugged. Do you have the "on low health, get full shields" ability? I think it's tied to that.

Peebee + Drack was awesome.

Question about a quest on Kadara:

Will there be major repercussions for not handing the Angaran traitor over to Evfra/not staying on Sloane's good side during that initial meeting? Because I'm kinda torn between wanting to mantain my good relationship with the Resistance and wanting to be cordial to the Outcasts-- just in case I decide to side with them in the future.

Maybe in the next games? I only got "you really shouldn't have done that" but I generally took their side elsewhere.

Rozart

Maybe in the next games? I only got "you really shouldn't have done that" but I generally took their side elsewhere.

So Evfra doesn't get that mad about it? Hmm.
Does pissing Sloane off during that first meeting lock you out of future Outcast-related quests?

Bisnic

Soo... Elaaden spoiler
Remnant Drive Core...

fADyx10.jpg

Really now? Really? Couldn't even bother to make something a little more original?

I've done a fair bit of mixing and matching and no combination has been a disappointment at any time in terms of banter. Drack, Jaal, Vetra, Peebee, and even Cora had some good back and forth in various combos. Liam I've probably used the least, but when I've had him in, it's been pretty good too.
Vetra is my favorite I think but yeah, so far I'm actually surprised that by shrinking the party size they made sure there are no duds to be had.

Vengal

Getting Abit bored with my weapons near the end here, anyone have a fun suggestion for something silly? Afew pages back a lightning grenade launcher was mentioned but I don't have that Aug anymore.

Really now? Really? Couldn't even bother to make something a little more original?

Dunno what the issue is. I mean everyone knows that
if you glue 2 usb sticks together and shove em in the bonnet of your car they become a drive engine for your car

If I remember correctly they did this in Mass Effect 3 as well. They used a commonly seen object and then used it as a "special" item. Pretty sloppy of them to do it then but to do it a second time in a game that is meant to redeem themselves after ME 3 just smacks of "we really couldn't be bothered with this game".

Xevren

Guessing my Ryder is bugged, every cut scene either his eyes are just half open and he's just not amused by anything or he tilts his head back with his eyes wide open. I mean it's hilarious but clearly not intentional.

mbpm1

Guessing my Ryder is bugged, every cut scene either his eyes are just half open and he's just not amused by anything or he tilts his head back with his eyes wide open. I mean it's hilarious but clearly not intentional.
Drugged up Pathfinder

Top Bottom