• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

finlaybob

Neo Member
Is Liam's Loyalty Mission missing for anyone else?

Nothing shows up for me and I'm at the point where
I'm organising movie night, which I'm looking forward to, and the next story mission is going to talk to the other pathfinders about Meridian

Does it come after?

I wasn't overly convinced when I played the first 10 hours but ultimately I felt I couldn't NOT get it... It's still ME, even if its a potentially a bad ME, right?

I've since played about 50hrs and am extremely happy. I've luckily had very, very few bugs and glitches. The slow loading when saving in the Nomad bugs me less than I thought it would. The jank in general bugs me less than I thought it would. I've even done some of the task missions while chilling from the combat.

A really bad glitch was getting ejected from the nomad while going full speed after doing
cora's garden cutscene
. It vomited us out, warped itself back to beside the tempest, and I was stuck not far from where the cutscene took place.

Does this game even have multiple endings? Or any decisions that affect the game at all?

It didn't really seem like my choices mattered in the end. Depending on what you did you might get a bit of combat help from specific factions or people but that's it.

I've been partial to pull + charge myself, hilarious fun.
Charge is pretty fun as well, especially when you max it out. The entire game I just used 4 powers: Pull, Throw, Shockwave and Charge.

The Biotics in this game just feel so good.
I only wish there was a way to prime armoured enemies reliably. Thinking of dumping singularity as I play full adept, but not sure for what.
I'd usually use my trusty Vanquisher on them. One head shot and the shield was history.

Xevren

Is Liam's Loyalty Mission missing for anyone else?

Nothing shows up for me and I'm at the point where
I'm organising movie night, which I'm looking forward to, and the next story mission is going to talk to the other pathfinders about Meridian

Does it come after?

Something sounds wrong, I was able to do Liam's loyalty fairly early. Hope you'll be able to do it cuz it's one of the bright spots in the game for me.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Charge is pretty fun as well, especially when you max it out. The entire game I just used 4 powers: Pull, Throw, Shockwave and Charge.

The Biotics in this game just feel so good.

Holding Pull + melee attack is a personal favorite of mine when I was low lvl.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
I am not fetching
a UV lamp for those 2 stoners to grow their weed
on Kadara!

Renegade Steve Shepard would've shot both of them, just for wasting his time.

Kuldar

Question about a place in Kadara.
Is there a mission related to the
Collective base
in addition to the one
Crux
give you when you find it?

Holding Pull + melee attack is a personal favorite of mine when I was low lvl.
Now that I think about it, I never really used the holding ability that much, huh. The only time that I can remember using pull like that, is when I was fighting a fiend and decided to throw a bunch of explosive at it.

That felt extremely satisfying.

Question about a place in Kadara.
Is there a mission related to the
Collective base
in addition to the one
Crux
give you when you find it?

There was another side quest in there but it had more to do with the cave than the actual base.

royox

Any use for Flame thrower and the ice version for Hard mode? I can't imagine getting close enough at anything withouth biotic charge and that biotic shield that deflects bulle- whathever they shoot now.

Cairnsay

Banned
It didn't really seem like my choices mattered in the end. Depending on what you did you might get a bit of combat help from specific factions or people but that's it.

Can someone help me with just a spoiler free yes or no to the following question:

If I have done a squad members loyalty mission, will they definitely survive the games finale?

Can someone help me with just a spoiler free yes or no to the following question:

If I have done a squad members loyalty mission, will they definitely survive the games finale?
Squad members don't die in this game.

This was confirmed a few months before the game's release.

JayB1920

Does this game even have multiple endings? Or any decisions that affect the game at all?

Somewhat yes. There are a couple decisions in the main campaign that may effect sequels but here there are several scene/dialogue changes in the campaign based on choices. As far as the ending goes side quests and choices within them determine who shows up to help in the final battle, whether you can use a code to weaken enemy forces in final battle and whether a certain character survives the final battle. Sidequest also determine the world state of several factions.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Made a lot of progress yesterday. Got Havarl and Kadara to 100% viable, did some questing and exploring in a small, mostly destroyed mining planet, did Vetra and Cora's loyalty mission and did all the other parts of ally and relationship missions that were available.

All set to start on Elaadeen next play session. Haven't landed yet so have that whole planet and all the ally etc quests where the next step is there.

Story wise I've been sitting on the mission to go after the
Archon's
ship as I wanted to knock out all the planet and loyalty stuff I care to do and then power through the rest of the story.

Anyway, over 46 hours and still enjoying the game. The boring open worlds and often crappy side quests (even not doing the tasks) would be my biggest gripes as I've still been pretty lucky an not ran into major bugs (no save issues, one crash) and not all that many bad animation glitches (just twice of a character being doubled, Ryder drinking from empty hand, walking through a door in a cut scene are the 3 that jump to mind). That's discounting the bad facial animation etc., but I play with subtitles on so I'm not actively noticing that as much as people watching faces and listening to the dialogue rather than skimming subtitles and skipping to advance text faster than they talk.

Sober

I feel like the crafting needs to be rebalanced? It sucks that we're at the point where the game has so many weapons a lot of them fall to the wayside and are just considered not as viable as others.

In that aspect I mean that the more rare a blueprint is, the more aug slots a recipe will have available as you level up. The only unfortunate part is I sort of preferred the weapon balancing when it was less entirely stat driven but weapons were also performance driven. I get that it's technically balanced by research costs, but still. Sucks if your favourite weapons are like only rare and not ultra rare or even uncommon. Just means they literally are going fall behind in performance as the game goes on.

Flame ammo + throw
Tried that the other night. It's amazing. Think I might just roll with flame and cryo, distruptor later when I get the perk to unlock extra consumable slots. Even the scorpion SMG does a good job against shields.

So beat it last night.

In the end I enjoyed the game. If they could get a handle on the numerous bugs it could be a great game.

Looking forward to the sequel.

stn

Uhhh... is there no way to micro-manage what biotics and powers your teammates use? I've played the hell out of all the ME titles and am currently into Andromeda. I've tried pushing every button and combination to bring up the biotics wheel. Does this mean the AI just chooses completely on its own? Huge bummer if yes.

Cranster

Banned
Uhhh... is there no way to micro-manage what biotics and powers your teammates use? I've played the hell out of all the ME titles and am currently into Andromeda. I've tried pushing every button and combination to bring up the biotics wheel. Does this mean the AI just chooses completely on its own? Huge bummer if yes.
Yes which is unfortunate.

mbpm1

You can't control them

megalowho

Yes.

It's basically like ME2's ending.
I'd say it's closer to ME3, without the series ending stuff at the very end. Wouldn't call it multiple endings. If you make friends, they will show up to support you during the final mission.

Minor final mission spoiler that previous games have done:
There's also a blatant "do all X missions" check in order for one minor character to survive.

arhra

I am not fetching
a UV lamp for those 2 stoners to grow their weed
on Kadara!

Renegade Steve Shepard would've shot both of them, just for wasting his time.

I'd wandered across the folks with the spare UV lamp before even finding the space stoners, so I completed that quest entirely accidentally.

Then it got stuck in my Journal in the Completed category with a (!) that I couldn't get rid of, so I couldn't tell at a glance whether I had any new quests for the entirety of the rest of the game.

Fucking stoner assholes.

bati

The closer I get to the end the more I dig this game. And I mean REALLY dig it. When it takes off it's Mass Effect through and through.

What bothers me though is seeing a very stark difference between different parts of the content. Loyalty missions for the most part are great, as is the mission design in final stages of the game. This is really visible if one pays attention to textures, geometry and lighting in these levels, it's clear they've had a lot more work done than other parts (planets in general) of the game. If I had to guess I'd say that the main story missions, Nexus, Eos and Elaaden were designed among the first and the rest of the content ended up being a rush job, presumably after they brought in the Edmonton team. Because man does a lot of that padding smell like Laidlaw's work (which I fucking hated in DAI). I also can't get over just how bad Voeld and Kadara are.

I still have a few missions to go but so far I'd say this is a worthy addition to the franchise.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
So this happened...

I had just destroyed the kett base on Eos. I kept tinkering around and was driving when I got a message calling me a little duck. Those that are used to this part of the game know it precipitated a mission called Kett's Bane. So I went and introduced myself to Bane. During the conversation with Bane a Kett annihilator spawned outside the building. It then walked into the building and started shooting me. I was in a conversation and couldn't get out. I died while in the conversation. I went to reload and the game freezes right before I reload everything. I'm lucky I did a hard save right before I found this guy otherwise I don't know how far back I'd have to load. Wtf.

Such an inconvenience.

Ruff

So, Denuvo already broken on the PC version huh? It's become less and less worth it to invest in their service by the sounds of things.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
So this happened...

I destroyed the base before talking to that guy as well. I had forgotten about that, it's out of sequence, isn't it? Was too busy with other stuff at the time and then I forgot him.

mbpm1

I destroyed the base before talking to that guy as well. I had forgotten about that, it's out of sequence, isn't it? Was too busy with other stuff at the time and then I forgot him.

I broke sequence in Eos once as well. I got my mako- thing on top of the shear top and the engineer announced the name of the place.

But I hadn't yet gotten that engineer yet and was like, "who the hell is that?"

MCD250

So this happened...

I had just destroyed the kett base on Eos. I kept tinkering around and was driving when I got a message calling me a little duck. Those that are used to this part of the game know it precipitated a mission called Kett's Bane. So I went and introduced myself to Bane. During the conversation with Bane a Kett annihilator spawned outside the building. It then walked into the building and started shooting me. I was in a conversation and couldn't get out. I died while in the conversation. I went to reload and the game freezes right before I reload everything. I'm lucky I did a hard save right before I found this guy otherwise I don't know how far back I'd have to load. Wtf.

Such an inconvenience.
Haha, awesome.

Yesterday I unlocked
the memory where the Ryder kids have a family gathering with their parents. Only...Sara wasn't present in the memory. Literally, the whole cutscene played out as normal, but you couldn't see Sara's character model or hear her dialogue, or even see it in subtitles (but of course the other characters acted like could). For a moment there I wondered if maybe it was deliberate, something to do with Sara still being unconscious at that point in the story or whatever. It was weird.

Bugs can be funny, when they aren't annoying. I've fought more invisible Chosen than I can count. For a while I wondered if they were supposed to have the power to do that.

arhra

Bugs can be funny, when they aren't annoying. I've fought more invisible Chosen than I can count. For a while I wondered if they were supposed to have the power to do that.

The... I forget what they're called, but the ones that produce that smoke cloud and cloak can also cloak other Kett, so while I wouldn't be entirely surprised by a bug that renders them invisible, some of them may have just been cloaked.

bati

The... I forget what they're called, but the ones that produce that smoke cloud and cloak can also cloak other Kett, so while I wouldn't be entirely surprised by a bug that renders them invisible, some of them may have just been cloaked.

You can reliably reproduce the invisibility bug in the Kett base on Eos if you jump down to the level where the boss is and then go back up to fight the enemies - which are now all invisible.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
The closer I get to the end the more I dig this game. And I mean REALLY dig it. When it takes off it's Mass Effect through and through.

What bothers me though is seeing a very stark difference between different parts of the content. Loyalty missions for the most part are great, as is the mission design in final stages of the game. This is really visible if one pays attention to textures, geometry and lighting in these levels, it's clear they've had a lot more work done than other parts (planets in general) of the game. If I had to guess I'd say that the main story missions, Nexus, Eos and Elaaden were designed among the first and the rest of the content ended up being a rush job, presumably after they brought in the Edmonton team. Because man does a lot of that padding smell like Laidlaw's work (which I fucking hated in DAI). I also can't get over just how bad Voeld and Kadara are.

I still have a few missions to go but so far I'd say this is a worthy addition to the franchise.

Yeah to me the biggest flaw is the focus on cramming in content. Even without improving anything the game would be better if they hadn't padded it so much and just left it shorter with the planets you note etc.

ME1-3 were great for many reasons, but one of the biggest for me was being tighter games not crammed full of the boring padding that plagues most western RPGs.

MCD250

Ah, that would make sense.

Staf

Finished it. The ending sequence was by far the strongest part of the game. But
it sadly hit the nail on the head during the epilogue sequence, where you talk to the crewmembers, that i don't care about any of these characters. I felt nothing when talking to them. Shame.

Any use for Flame thrower and the ice version for Hard mode? I can't imagine getting close enough at anything withouth biotic charge and that biotic shield that deflects bulle- whathever they shoot now.

I personally don't like those skills because you have to hold down the assigned button to produce a continuous stream that is capable of priming enemies, which leaves Ryder completely exposed because he has to remain out of cover while using them. On hard mode, my shields are usually stripped within a couple of secs if Ryder isn't taking cover, can't imagine using those skills while an anointed or an observer is nearby. Lol.

Ascenion

There's a couple decisions that affect what help you get at the end of the game, making it a bit easier to handle. Ending wise it's just one ending.

Top Bottom