• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

Mindlog

• Any good 'powerful' guns i should research from Remnant and Helius tech? All the best guns appear to be in Milky Way. I am playing as biotic with close quarter combat abilities so a good ultra rare shotgun with forgiving accuracy would be good. bought a couple of expensive shotguns that fire a single slug and they suck.
The Dhan Shotgun is an extremely powerful 2 shot shotgun.
The Ishary Sniper Rifle is an extremely powerful single shot sniper rifler. I created one with an old fashioned heat sink as a fall back when I run out of Black Widow ammo.

Both have been mainstays in my Insanity playthrough.

Bessy67

Possible early game spoilers:

I'm really struggling to shut down the kett base on Voeld. I'm to the point where you have to take out 3 generators, and enemies just seem to keep spawning endlessly whenever I take down the generators. It wouldn't be so bad if the game allowed me to save or autosaved sometime during this encounter, but of course it doesn't. I'm getting pretty frustrated...

RoKKeR

What the... It's literally "Press Y to make Outpost" and then bam you are magically inside a building talking to Addison? Wtf?

Did I miss a transition cutscene or something? A building montage? Anything?

Ducayne

I'm really struggling to shut down the kett base on Voeld. I'm to the point where you have to take out 3 generators, and enemies just seem to keep spawning endlessly whenever I take down the generators. It wouldn't be so bad if the game allowed me to save or autosaved sometime during this encounter, but of course it doesn't. I'm getting pretty frustrated...

I had trouble with this one too-- took me three or four tries. Only area so far that gave me trouble.

Switch up your skills? Keep your distance? Assign teammates to help?

Apoptomon

Anyone know what the console in Prodromos, Eos next to Vetra's friend (outdoors, next to a building) is supposed to be for? It has a new quest marker but it's blank when read.

The Ishary Sniper Rifle is an extremely powerful single shot sniper rifler. I created one with an old fashioned heat sink as a fall back when I run out of Black Widow ammo.

The Dhan Shotgun is goat, especially paired with invasion or turbo charge (dat 35% damage increase and 75% increased clip bonus tho). Impressive range, homing capability, and a decent rate of fire. Strips shields in one or two shots, destroys a fully shielded anointed kett in four to five shots. Makes those fights against the remnants architects trivial when you get up close to each leg and unload in its face. Downed it in 5 mins on Hard difficulty.

Kudos to those who unlock it in multiplayer. Hahaha.

Depends. Nothing opens up post game that you couldn't do before the final mission. Inevitably getting to 100% viability means you may run into the Architects. They are giant Remnant 3 tentacle creatures. You can either fight them before if you did the quests or save for post-game.
Ah, I've already done the 100% viability for all planets and have had those fights, so that's disappointing.

Still, thanks for the answer.

Arklite

What the... It's literally "Press Y to make Outpost" and then bam you are magically inside a building talking to Addison? Wtf?

Did I miss a transition cutscene or something? A building montage? Anything?

No, the game has a lot of odd cuts like that unfortunately. Except for space travel where they grace you with lengthy unskippable transitions.

Ah, I've already done the 100% viability for all planets and have had those fights, so that's disappointing.

Still, thanks for the answer.

Not sure if you've unlocked the mission yet (though I wouldn't even call it a mission).

Spoiler for getting 100% viability on each planet --->
SAM tells you to revisit Habitat 7 which entails a thank you from all of Andromeda's habitants and Ryder naming the planet Ryder 1. You can't even land on the planet again. Disappointing to say the least.

Fury451

Banned
I'm sure this has been pointed out to death, but holy shit so much of the voice acting and line reads are bad, the recorded takes are bad, and the dialogue being poor already does nobody any favors. Not saying it's all on the actors, but for a game that's so wordy this is massively disappointing. Worse than poor writing even.

Director Tann and Kesh are laughably bad in particular, especially for so early in the game.

X-Frame

I recommend you swap out the Heat Sinks for Bio-Converters the next time you upgrade your Isharay and Dhan. Bonus points if you have points in the Tech tree and spec into Team Support's "Life Support" perk which gives health back whenever you use a tech power.

This means you can effectively rapid fire the Isharay or Dhan continuously, using 5% health for ammo instead of having to reload or use normal ammo. Then just using a tech power will offset any health loss. So Invasion, I believe Tac Cloak as long as you take the Rank 6 perk that allows for health regen, Energy Drain, etc.

Nekrono

Yeah I had some problems there as well. Avoid anything that is close range. Switch to a sniper and try some long range powers like Pull and Lance.

You don't want to be in close range especially once you get deeper into the base, try to go back into the more open area and pick them off with your sniper. Try to have some sort of shield generation through your powers as well and spec your squad for survival, I think I had Cora and Jaal which are decent for staying alive.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Playing on PS4 and finding Harvarl a real pain. Performance is horrible, was experiencing loot lag in areas even. Loot something then get the dialog box 30 seconds later. Painful.

Kill the app if you haven't recently. It seems like it really fucks with the performance.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Liam's loyalty mission is great, stupid as fuck, but great. Mainly because it's stupid and you can even make it funny too by using narrative actions all the time and joke around (reminds me a little bit of a Stargate SG1 in a good way). Overall, good time. But Liam is the worst. Would throw him into space through airlock right at the start of the game if I'd knew before hand that he's so terrible. He would have easely been the worst fucking companion ever in BioWare games.... but absolutely godawful Cole in DAI holds the throne for me.

Finished the game last night, clocked at 75 hours with 91% completion.

I liked it. It's a Mass Effect game flesh and bones. Story is so slow-paced due to the open world activities, but it's pretty good and unique overall. I liked the last mission and the ending, so satisfying. I love some of the characters as well, especially Drack, Vetra, and PeeBee. Also if I were a woman I'd be all over Jaal, he's so charming. Combat is so tight and fun, especially when there are enemies all over the field shooting at you from all direction. What's the most disappointing thing is that they should've done much better than this. There's a great game hidden by the technical issues.

If I were to score it, I'd give it 8/10.

Vengal

Just finished the final run and I don't think i'll clean up the quests I left or the tasks for the time being. I may wait a few months for patches and other things before starting up a New Game+ with sisryder.

Unpacking everything and I'd say I had a relatively pleasant experience. I got bored of the weapons I was using near the end and swapped to silly stuff like a laser shotgun and sticky bomb assault rifle. I was a engineer so the weapon didn't really matter anyway.

There is a seed here that could have been amazing really. The idea of cutting the bullshit baggage of the old universe and building a new legacy is a really good idea even if it makes no sense in conjunction with any of the endings in ME3 except the Reject one. So I had to head cannon that shep rejected and these Andromeda folks will return at some point to reclaim the galaxy, or just tell stories of the Shepherd.

I think the overall scores of around a 6.5-7.5 are accurate. The technical issues with this game are just too numerous to ignore them, and unlike say Bethesda Games this isn't an open platform for players to create mods and unique content. Being entirely tolerant or capable of ignoring these issues (I am able to ignore or get used to them over time) doesn't discount that they exist and are largely in worse shape then the previous games.

Narrative Impressions
I really wasn't feeling story until around the time I started saving Pathfinders, and getting to loyalty missions. I don't feel like the game earned your closeness to your sibling or any relationship at all with your father. It probably could have been eased in if instead of liam and cora you were teamed with your family in the prologue and got to do family banter to allow the player to get attached to those characters and establish a relationship. Can still kill papa and coma a sibling at the the end there. In ME3 we got to work with Anderson so it wouldn't be the first time the series gave you squadmates for one instance.

I wanted more with the other pathfinders. I liked talked to them, I liked the little pathfinder reunion, i really liked everything about the concept of others in the same role with the same power as you running around. It strips away the "savior" narrative that bioware likes so much and spreads the weight around. We're in a massive cluster you'd think that they're off doing equally important shit. Then they'd come back with similar batshit stories to share. Its something you never really got with Spectres or even N7 people.

The Kett were serviceable but I didn't like exhaltation at all. Wee bit too close to indoctrination for my tastes. Along the same vein bringing up the hatred of AI and that concept again seems weak. These two ideas are recycled main themes of the trilogy, i'm just glad SAM didn't turn evil yet.

Movie night and the loyalty missions were great, really helped me bond with the squad. Especially the ones I didn't care about at all (Liam and Peebee).

Ending Impressions
I don't really want to mention too much but I feel like they did learn their lessons from the the final missions in every aspect of the trilogy and produced probably the best ending mission content wise. Every group you interacted with takes part in this final battle in both cutscenes and in actual combat (though their effectiveness in combat is suspect).

I was really happy that SAM got taken away, I was hoping for a Crisis Core moment and you having all your OP power stripped away and having to fight like a normal soldier for alittle while. I understand why this did not happen since it would be really Jarring to the player to suddenly lose access to favorites or much more. Swapping to the sisryder for the short segment on the hyperion was also neat.

TLDR- Had a good time, flawed but fun experience. Will probably do a new game + later in the year after patches and maybe dlc.
-Game should have been like dragon age origins and let you play a pathfinder of other races. Turians ftw

Not sure if you've unlocked the mission yet (though I wouldn't even call it a mission).

Spoiler for getting 100% viability on each planet --->
SAM tells you to revisit Habitat 7 which entails a thank you from all of Andromeda's habitants and Ryder naming the planet Ryder 1. You can't even land on the planet again. Disappointing to say the least.
Yeah, I've done that as well. And you are right, it was disappointing. At first they got me really excited cause I thought
we are gonna explore habitat 7 and that it was gonna be secret bonus world for 100% all other planets,
but then it turned that it was nothing.

Dufoos

Banned
Ryder Family Secrets spoilers
So I'm assuming that Cerberus/Illusive Man is the mysterious benefactor. I also bet we'll get the Quarian ark as some sorta dlc in the future.

Grisby

Soo... Elaaden spoiler
Remnant Drive Core...

fADyx10.jpg

Really now? Really? Couldn't even bother to make something a little more original?
Yeah. Lol. It's basically like they found
Remnant MacGyver's drive core.

ryseing

Yeah, I'm going to respec again. I would like to continue to play Biotic for role-playing reasons but I've found most of the powers underwhelming. A recommendation of a good general setup would be much appreciated.

Yeah, I'm going to respec again. I would like to continue to play Biotic for role-playing reasons but I've found most of the powers underwhelming. A recommendation of a good general setup would be much appreciated.
I played the entire game exclusively with Biotics.

Max pull + max throw = dead bodies flying everywhere

Though, I gotta admit I had a really good assault rifle and a kick ass Vanquisher (sniper rifle) to take care of shields before going biotics on enemies.

RoKKeR

Though, I gotta admit I had a really good assault rifle and a kick ass Vanquisher (sniper rifle) to take care of shields before going biotics on enemies.
I've been partial to pull + charge myself, hilarious fun.

Sober

I only wish there was a way to prime armoured enemies reliably. Thinking of dumping singularity as I play full adept, but not sure for what.

I ditched biotics after becoming bored of team rocketing goons to the stars with biotic explosions.

Tech skills are fun to play around with. Skip overload and get energy drain, since you can replenish a huge portion of your shield with the latter. Keeps you alive and in the game during a firefight. Better yet, the targeted enemy doesn't even need to have shields in order to gain yours back. The assault turret is okay for priming enemies with the flamethrower upgrade and you can throw it as far as you want during a firefight. Get it nestled right in between a group of enemies and set off a tech explosion with energy drain. Lol. Cloak is great, though I found myself relying on invasion or turbocharge for increased damage output late into the game (both are combat skills). The secret tech skill you get from Peebee is also awesome at priming multiple enemies. Found that flamethrower and ice beam took long to prime an enemy and left you exposed to gunfire which is no bueno on higher difficulties, while the incinerate skill has excellent tracking, capable of hitting several enemies at once with the correct upgrade, and won't leave Ryder exposed while using the skill.

TheFatMan

Think all I have left is Eladen? (spelling) and the main story. Couple of loyalty missions.

Finished Vetras loyalty mission tonight and I thought it was kind of boring. Does anyone else wish Vetras little sister was your team mate and not Vetra? lol

I liked Kadara it was a cool planet. Wish the transition from port to the planet wasn't such a pain in the ass but hey.

bati

If you want to be a walking tank that can deal with any situation then look no further than Sentinel. Energy Drain and Incinerate as primers and Lance with 0 cooldown to detonate them. Enough health and shield regen to survive a reaper invasion.

edit: since I already recorded a video to show someone else how fast the cooldowns are: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s173EfhNSrE . This is on insanity, fwiw. I don't remember the last time I fired a gun.

norm9

Was hoping on spending an hour on creating a character tonight. Finished with all the options in about five minutes. Not a good start. :/

Why isn't there face mapping with photos like in the Tiger Woods game? Or options in general?

Not so for me. It's not even that they kill me. They take entirely too long to kill. In total. Why can they even bring the shield back up? It's bullshit.

Research and construct a Dhan Shotgun, use turbocharge, and blast his face up close and personal. I usually only needed to destroy the orb twice, get four or five shots in when his shield was down, before he was down for the count. And this was on Hard difficulty.

royox

I'm still around halfway through the game but as someone that did not finish ME3 I have to ask... why do people hate the ending so much? Lack of options to validate your choices through the trilogy or just a really bad way to conclude the lore/universe that BioWare created?

original.png

Alo0oy

Banned
I 100%ed 2 planets now (more like 150% since I was doing a lot of work even after 100%), do the remaining 3 planets take this long?

Also, what's the best full auto assault rifle? My Vanguard isn't even using the shotgun since the Krogan Hammer is all I need in close range, but I want a full auto assault rifle for long range, I prefer if it was less boring/not milky way, but no charge before shooting.

I 100%ed 2 planets now (more like 150% since I was doing a lot of work even after 100%), do the remaining 3 planets take this long?

Also, what's the best full auto assault rifle? My Vanguard isn't even using the shotgun since the Krogan Hammer is all I need in close range, but I want a full auto assault rifle for long range, I prefer if it was less boring/not milky way, but no charge before shooting.

For a longer range, full auto rifle that's not Milky Way, you can go with the Thokin or the PAWS. Thokin is a Kett weapon that shoots plasma projectiles (no charge), PAWS is a RemTech beam rifle.

Nekrono

Try crafting the Revenant (Milky Way) but with the Electric Coils augmentation, damn thing is OP and you get to shoot electricity which is fun!

Arklite

Drack just rushed in and slammed his hammer down on some explosive canisters. Now I wish the hammer had an explosive aoe trigger.

I noticed that there's usually a few larger quests that give you a lot of viability point boosts compared to the random little quests.

Obviously doing the Vaults boosts it a lot, but there are usually main faction missions that give you a bunch too, like doing the quests for the main Exile people on that hot spring planet, or defeating that Kett base on the Snow planet, or working with the Krogans on the desert planet (I'm guessing, I'm in the middle of that one now).

I usually stick with those larger quests and then just grab any smaller sidequests along the way and I hit 100% viability after not too long with a lot of additional quests still available (that I don't plan on doing this playthrough).

Alo0oy

Banned
I noticed that there's usually a few larger quests that give you a lot of viability point boosts compared to the random little quests.

Obviously doing the Vaults boosts it a lot, but there are usually main faction missions that give you a bunch too, like doing the quests for the main Exile people on that hot spring planet, or defeating that Kett base on the Snow planet, or working with the Krogans on the desert planet (I'm guessing, I'm in the middle of that one now).

I usually stick with those larger quests and then just grab any smaller sidequests along the way and I hit 100% viability after not too long with a lot of additional quests still available (that I don't plan on doing this playthrough).

Yeah, doing the main quest, the vault, the architect, and the kett base alone should get you close to 100%. But my OCD won't let me leave a planet before every single quest in it is cleared.

Vico

All this talk about the Kett base on Voeld makes me scared. I'm already struggling on hardcore, and I'm going to play that part soon. I guess I really have to look at crafting new gear and weapons before I get there.

Alo0oy

Banned
All this talk about the Kett base on Voeld makes me scared. I'm already struggling on hardcore, and I'm going to play that part soon. I guess I really have to look at crafting new gear and weapons before I get there.

I found the Kett base in Eos much harder tbh.

Top Bottom