• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

Zukkoyaki

No spoilers but I feel like the Mass Effect universe is in prime position for an MMO or at least some kind of online co-op game sort of like The Division. You have an entire Galaxy to explore with literally endless potential for different types of planets and environments. You could create a character choosing from all the classes and races and there are even factions already in place. I doubt it would happen, but the potential is there.

Twinsen343

When is this patch out exactly?

I have to agree, the game while so amazing in areas is completely let down by these janky animations and facial expressions - I mean wtf - It's almost as if these are half complete placeholder animations.

prag16

Banned
So I've heard that Sloane was the protagonist of a MEA novel, which seems...weird to me? Like I haven't finished the Kadara questline yet, but every time I've interacted with Sloane, she's come off as shitty, unlikable and not especially nuanced. How did she carry a novel?
She didn't. The POV shifts between her, Tann, and two other characters. She's not terribly likeable in the book either. She's pretty much an asshole. The book works because the interplay between Tann, Kandros, Addison, and others are interesting and entertaining enough as they wade through a crisis. Not because any particular character is fantastic.

Madness

Man I saw this video where someone makes a crazy Piranha shotgun with mods and uses combat, tech and biotic powers to increase damage, then unlocks all kinds of damage boosting, reload and clip boosting. He was literally dropping fiends in like 10 seconds on Insanity. Made the shots plasma seeking. When he would cloak the damage would be like 1700+ etc. I wonder what else you could do to screw around like that. He would just be behind cover and firing and taking out a Destroyer in like 20 seconds.

giphy.gif

Another sue incoming:

pRFA9w.gif

Grisby

Anyone recognize this voice actor's (maybe) easter egg in the game? Knew the voice sounded familiar when I came across it. Also, some Mass Effect 2/3 spoilers just in case anyone was going through/planning the original trilogy for the first time.
Awesome new bug. When I close the menus I get a sound effect like falling, clanking coins. It plays on an infinite loop.

Quitting and reloading seems to have fixed it.
The ps4 rumble feature quit for me in the last mission lol. I restarted the game and it fixed it, which seems to be a cure all for a lot of things like the xp notification staying on screen indefinitely.

TheFatMan

Man I just did Dracks loyalty mission and it was great, especially the tie in quest that follows it up. I was grinning like an idiot.

It's moments like this that remind me why this game is entertaining me despite it's bullshit bugs and problems.

xealo

So I've heard that Sloane was the protagonist of a MEA novel, which seems...weird to me? Like I haven't finished the Kadara questline yet, but every time I've interacted with Sloane, she's come off as shitty, unlikable and not especially nuanced. How did she carry a novel?

She's an asshole in the novel too. But like with most video game literature, don't go into it expecting a literary masterpiece and you won't be too disappointed.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Stayed up too late, but did manage to clear out my completable Heleus mission and Allies/relationship missions. So all done with Heleus missions (other than one on hold on Tempest and any more I find) with all planets at 100% viable and all loyalty quests (still have 3 other missions in that section on hold). A bit over 58 hours in.

Find the
Archon's
ship is my next story mission so that's what I'll delve into next session.

Dingobloo

Neo Member
Stayed up too late, but did manage to clear out my completable Heleus mission and Allies/relationship missions. So all done with Heleus missions (other than one on hold on Tempest and any more I find) with all planets at 100% viable and all loyalty quests (still have 3 other missions in that section on hold). A bit over 58 hours in.

Find the
Archon's
ship is my next story mission so that's what I'll delve into next session.

I made the same mistake thinking that mission started the end-game, but it's more like
2/3rds of the way
along. You'll get more allies/relationship stuff, but precious little Heleus so you'll not have as much stuff to do when those missions force you to ground. I also think that I got less banter because the pool of possible banter seemes keyed to the main story, and I did a lot of my roaming prior to that mission.

Jaraghan

Can anyone tell me how much I have left? I've done all loyalty missions, got all planets to 100%, finished every quest I have come across and looked for, and my main mission is called "The Journey to
Meridian
"

Madness

Can anyone tell me how much I have left? I've done all loyalty missions, got all planets to 100%, finished every quest I have come across and looked for, and my main mission is called "The Journey to
Meridian
"

Near the end, maybe 2 main missions I think, journey to meridian and then Meridian the way home.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Liam is such a weird character. Feels like nothing he says registers with me or really makes sense at all.

Yeah, he's just too "bro" for me to enjoy. He comes off as a parody. I did like his loyalty mission, but only because of the level design and humor, which I think would have worked with any character (the bit with
the bad guy trying to interrupt their conversation
, lolol). After that mission, I never used him again.

Liam is such a weird character. Feels like nothing he says registers with me or really makes sense at all.

Lol this describes how I feel pretty accurately. Liam talks a lot -- he certainly says things -- but none of it has any depth or significance to me (possible exception being the scene about the car). Like, what are his personality traits? He lacks any compelling hook as a character and doesn't contribute a whole lot. His loyalty mission was enjoyable but did little to flesh out his character; it felt like a mission that could have existed separately for any character and didn't really need to be a loyalty mission.

I decided to go back and replay the trilogy after finishing Andromeda (on ME2 at present) and I feel pretty strongly that the much derided Kaidan and even Jacob are more interesting and likable characters.

Vico

I was loving the game up until now, but the vault on Voeld isn't fun at all. I'm also getting tired of these sudoku puzzles, though I know it'll be easier with the patch.

I hope the other planets offer different gameplay and objectives.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I was loving the game up until now, but the vault on Voeld isn't fun at all. I'm also getting tired of these sudoku puzzles, though I know it'll be easier with the patch.

I hope the other planets offer different gameplay and objectives.

Expect all of the big planets to have at least :

1) 3 monoliths + 1 vault to clear.
2) 1 Architect to kill
3) 1 big enemy base

The rest of the quests will vary a bit thankfully.

Vico

Expect all of the big planets to have at least :

1) 3 monoliths + 1 vault to clear.
2) 1 Architect to kill
3) 1 big enemy base

The rest of the quests will vary a bit thankfully.

Well, I figured it would be like that, I just hoped I would be wrong. Maybe I'll have to play something else between each planet so I don't get bored then.

Alo0oy

Banned
I just 100%ed Havarl, 3 planets down and two to go. I hope the next two planets are as short as Havarl, is that the case?

And memory spoilers,
so the Andromeda initiative started before anybody knew about the Reaper threat, and based on the Turian I spoke to in Havarl, it was after the Geth attack in ME1, so the initiative launched some time during or shortly after ME1.

Did all the questing on Elaaden today. The last thing I did was
open the vault.

... but you'd never know that. Scott, the squad, and random other NPCs must have made at least 4 references to me having activated the vault long before I'd even turned on the last monolith.
Game's funny sometimes.

rjcc

Did all the questing on Elaaden today. The last thing I did was
open the vault.

... but you'd never know that. Scott, the squad, and random other NPCs must have made at least 4 references to me having activated the vault long before I'd even turned on the last monolith.
Game's funny sometimes.

this game has that problem a looot. I got an email from the engineer mentioning
Jaal
before I had actually met the guy, and tons of out of order stuff on Elaaden.

Bisnic

I just 100%ed Havarl, 3 planets down and two to go. I hope the next two planets are as short as Havarl, is that the case?

And memory spoilers,
so the Andromeda initiative started before anybody knew about the Reaper threat, and based on the Turian I spoke to in Havarl, it was after the Geth attack in ME1, so the initiative launched some time during or shortly after ME1.

Nah, Havarl is one of a kind. All other planets are as huge as Eos at least. Well, except maybe one, but it's a short one(no Viability bar to fill) and there isn't much to explore, although there is still lots of driving to do.

MC Safety

I'm long done with the game, and probably won't ever revisit it.

But there was a quest that was driving me nuts, and I couldn't ever finish it. I'll put it in spoilers just in case:

You have to construct a shield regenerator for the Nomad. It says craft one at a research station, but I was never given the option in either research (which only allows for weapons, armor, and augmentations) or development.

Was there some trick to this?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?

And memory spoilers,

Clarification on your spoiler.

The initiative launched between ME2 and 3, not after ME1.

There are NPC's and even side quests which mention and directly refer the Overlord side quest from ME.2 The Citadel Council, for the longest time, kept insisting the attack in ME1 was because of the Geth which is why NPC's still think that. Right up until the Reapers attacked, majority of the Council was still skeptical of Shepard's claims.

Also, keep getting more memory spheres, you'll get more direct clarifications near the end of the quest.

But there was a quest that was driving me nuts, and I couldn't ever finish it. I'll put it in spoilers just in case:

You have to construct a shield regenerator for the Nomad. It says craft one at a research station, but I was never given the option in either research (which only allows for weapons, armor, and augmentations) or development.

You don't research nomad upgrades they are just their own tab on the development tab.

Alo0oy

Banned
Nah, Havarl is one of a kind. All other planets are as huge as Eos at least. Well, except maybe one, but it's a short one(no Viability bar to fill) and there isn't much to explore, although there is still lots of driving to do.

That's a shame, I was able to finish Havarl in 1 day, while the other two took me ~3 days each. I think I should stop doing anything in the task list, I plan on doing another playthrough anyway, and I want to see where the plot goes ASAP.

Clarification on your spoiler.

The initiative launched between ME2 and 3, not after ME1.

There are NPC's and even side quests which mention and directly refer the Overlord side quest from ME.2 The Citadel Council, for the longest time, kept insisting the attack in ME1 was because of the Geth which is why NPC's still think that. Right up until the Reapers attacked, majority of the Council was still skeptical of Shepard's claims.

Also, keep getting more memory spheres, you'll get more direct clarifications near the end of the quest.

This raised a lot of questions, some I'm not a fan of.

- Why are the Reapers only interested in the milky way?
- Why didn't the Angarans advance further beyond the milky way species since they had no Reapers to wipe their progress every 50k years?
- Why weren't the Reapers aware of 3 massive arks + the Nexus leaving the milky way?

I don't think the game answers any of that (I'm just past Havarl, so try to not to spoil it past that point).

Apoptomon

It's there. Whether or not it actually is generated and applied seems to be bugged though.

- Why didn't the Angarans advance further beyond the milky way species since they had no Reapers to wipe their progress every 50k years?
- Why weren't the Reapers aware of 3 massive arks + the Nexus leaving the milky way?

I don't think the game answers any of that (I'm just past Havarl, so try to not to spoil it past that point).
I could be wrong, but my understanding was:
- they were made by milky way species so maybe that was the extend of their purview
- there's no reason for all life in the universe to start at the same time or develop at the same rate, so it's kind of pointless to compare?. also, they may be a young species? (in terms of how they relate to the remnant) - i can't remember if it was specified
- the circumference of the galaxy is huge, they may not have had a presence on the side of the galaxy that the Initiative traveled through

adamsapple

That's a shame, I was able to finish Havarl in 1 day, while the other two took me ~3 days each. I think I should stop doing anything in the task list, I plan on doing another playthrough anyway, and I want to see where the plot goes ASAP.

Yeah, 2 of your questions are directly addressed within Andromeda, so you should get answers on those :)

Bisnic

Yeah, 2 of your questions are directly addressed within Andromeda, so you should get answers on those :)

I feel like I'm pretty far into the game(
just saved the Salarian Ark
), yet I have not heard any mention of
Reapers except maybe some vague references like "why were the Geths observing outside the galaxy"
or something like that.
Is this all mentioned very late into the game or what? I'm still waiting for the reason why I had to select the
gender of Shepard at the start of the game
since no one have mentioned him/her so far.

adamsapple

Reapers except maybe some vague references like "why were the Geths observing outside the galaxy"
or something like that.
Is this all mentioned very late into the game or what? I'm still waiting for the reason why I had to select the
gender of Shepard
at the start of the game since no one have mentioned him/her so far.

Spoilers for ryder family memory side quest

Once you near the end of the memory quest and unlock more flashbacks and recordings, you find out that the Andeomda initiative had a 'mysterious benefactor' (whose not revealed in the game btw) and this benefactor knew about reapers and used it as a means to speed up the Andromeda initiative. Some of the recordings directly refer Shepard and his claims about the Reapers. No voice recording from Shepard though.

The only time choosing Shepard's gender at the start has come into play in my experience is in those recordings using 'him' or 'her' to refer to Shepard.

I've finished about all the major quests and only some Tasks were left untouched so I doubt there's more story/lore content until the next DLC.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I made the same mistake thinking that mission started the end-game, but it's more like
2/3rds of the way
along. You'll get more allies/relationship stuff, but precious little Heleus so you'll not have as much stuff to do when those missions force you to ground. I also think that I got less banter because the pool of possible banter seemes keyed to the main story, and I did a lot of my roaming prior to that mission.

Oh I knew it wasn't end game as I looked a list of main missions to see. I just wanted to get the tedious open world shit cleared out, and decided to clear out what I could of the Allies/relationship stuff currently while I was at. I don't mind there being nothing to do on planets if I get back. I mostly just went straight to mission objectives when clearing out Heleus missions etc. anyway rather than doing a bunch at once on a planet. Tedious traveling, but I like keeping the little side stories straight vs. getting all jumbled together by doing bits and pieces of a bunch at the same time.

prag16

Banned
or something like that.
gender of Shepard at the start of the game
since no one have mentioned him/her so far.

In the Ryder Family Secrets side quest
they talk about an unnamed "benefactor" (The Illusive Man?) that fronts a ton of cash to get the Initiative fast tracked. The way they describe it is that something in the Milky Way spooked him. I haven't completed the quest yet, but it sounds like the Reapers will actually be mentioned later on.

VpomRurd

In the Ryder Family Secrets side quest
they talk about an unnamed "benefactor" (The Illusive Man?) that fronts a ton of cash to get the Initiative fast tracked. The way they describe it is that something in the Milky Way spooked him. I haven't completed the quest yet, but it sounds like the Reapers will actually be mentioned later on.

They are.

dubq

w/o spoilers - does the threat of the enemy get greater at any point? I've just left Eos and met the Angara who have never seen a human before yet somehow our translators can decipher our two languages.. and the Kett just feel like a random enemy that doesn't pose a super big threat to me other than just being annoying with their drop ship attacks. In the other games you had this sense of impending doom with the Reapers that I feel is really missing this time out.

RDreamer

w/o spoilers - does the threat of the enemy get greater at any point? I've just left Eos and met the Angara who have never seen a human before yet somehow our translators can decipher our two languages.. and the Kett just feel like a random enemy that doesn't pose a super big threat to me other than just being annoying with their drop ship attacks. In the other games you had this sense of impending doom with the Reapers that I feel is really missing this time out.

The Angara have seen humans for a year before that point.

And no, it doesn't ever get to reaper level, but that's alright in my opinion. The overarching goal and feel of this game is different. The reaper thing was cool for a trilogy, but I personally wanted something different. This game is much much better with feeling like the little quests you do aren't completely wacky because of the impending doom.

JBwB

Haha I like how the update goes live just after I finish the game.

All in all I really, really enjoyed it. 83 hours logged and I'd give it a solid 8/10. I'll gladly bump the score up to 8.5 if most of the bugs & other issues are ironed out.

Top Bottom