• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

JBwB

Man that final mission was pretty damn great. Even though I was using an OP build it still felt awesome decimating hordes of enemies.

Neverfade

Any hot tips on where to go to get Copper, Iridium, and Platinum to make the N7 armor? Just finished the first story bit on first planet so not terribly far in but I need this upgrade with a quickness.

Can someone explain why SAM was so controversial but EDI was fine and they even let her get inside of a robot so Joker could have sex with it?

Is it just the EDI was apart of the spectre program?

Ricker

Oooff...just started this and I am not crazy about the combat so far.Very early on that first planet and I can barely see the ennemies amongst all the area's nature and such...? is it just me or what,playing on normal and I am dying left and right...got to check the tutorial more I guess...can't I heal myself or something...? the cover system seems pretty bad also...

Pretty cool short quest I stumbled upon on Eladaan as I've been scouring planets for anything I missed post-game.
Some scav decides to EMP your Nomad and make you pay for a replacement part. I refused to pay and shot him dead. No respect for scavs. But it's funny how Kallo and Gil argue on the Tempest during the whole thing because they can't pick you up due to Gil's maintenance.

Just confirms that Eladaan is my favourite planet of the bunch.

Mercers

Neo Member
Is there a side/hidden vault on Kadara? Found one for all the other planets and they all had the remnant data core needed for Peebee's task

Grisby

Can someone explain why SAM was so controversial but EDI was fine and they even let her get inside of a robot so Joker could have sex with it?

Didn't EDI start out with Cerberus? Plus, she was never really designed to
explicitly merge with a human in a host type fashion like SAM is.

The sex robot thing was just weird. I got nothin' on that.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle

EDI was not "fine."

She's developed secretly by Cerberus and plus there were specific occasions where the games specifically tell you that EDI needed to pretend that she's not an AI in order to circumvent the no AI rule and fool those that are not part of Normandy's core crew.

It was a Cereberus program first. Even when the Alliance knew of her EDI essentially tricked the crew into thinking she was a VI.

EDI's body was that of another AI designed to infiltrate the Martian research centre where the Prothean artifact was. I would guess she was designed to appear as human as possible which would necessitate all the inny and outy bits. Also EDI got into the bot as it tried to take over EDI and the Normandy. I guess it developed from there.

TheFatMan

The side quest "Contagion" is awful. Overly long and super tedious.

Whoever designed that quest should be fired. Seriously. You have to go back and forth on Nexus like 6 times, then go to a half dozen different solar systems (which I did before the patch to put in skipping), then you have to go to a relatively remote area on one of the outpost planets.

It's like whoever designed the quest thought it would be fun to implement every tedious thing in the game into one quest.

EDI was not "fine."

She's developed secretly by Cerberus and plus there were specific occasions where the games specifically tell you that EDI needed to pretend that she's not an AI in order to circumvent the no AI rule and fool those that are not part of Normandy's core crew.

It was a Cereberus program first. Even when the Alliance knew of her EDI essentially tricked the crew into thinking she was a VI.

EDI's body was that of another AI designed to infiltrate the Martian research centre where the Prothean artifact was. I would guess she was designed to appear as human as possible which would necessitate all the inny and outy bits. Also EDI got into the bot as it tried to take over EDI and the Normandy. I guess it developed from there.
Oh, I'm an idiot. I completely forgot she came with Cerberus

Zukkoyaki

Whoever designed that quest should be fired. Seriously. You have to go back and forth on Nexus like 6 times, then go to a half dozen different solar systems (which I did before the patch to put in skipping), then you have to go to a relatively remote area on one of the outpost planets.

It's like whoever designed the quest thought it would be fun to implement every tedious thing in the game into one quest.
Couldn't have said it better myself!

LightInfa

Absolutely loved the final choice presented in the Peebee loyalty quest, super dark option for Ryder relative to the rest of the game.
I shot Kalinda because a) we can't really trust her, she's an unstable element b) we went through all this trouble for Rem tech - I'm not letting that get away now. However, I didn't catch if the game actually gave me any items for choosing that - or will I get something down the road?

Laekon

Still didn't fix one of the worst bugs. When you are in a zoomed in conversation with a quest NPC and your squad mates are part of it but you can't hear them because of how the sound is directional and they are in some odd place/direction. This happens all the time to me.

SmartBase

Absolutely loved the final choice presented in the Peebee loyalty quest, super dark option for Ryder relative to the rest of the game.
I shot Kalinda because a) we can't really trust her, she's an unstable element b) we went through all this trouble for Rem tech - I'm not letting that get away now. However, I didn't catch if the game actually gave me any items for choosing that - or will I get something down the road?

I have no idea why that was even a prompt in the first place, it should've been the default action.

Still not sure you get anything from it other than another dumb "choice" hook for the next game.

Jaraghan

Just finished the game. I enjoyed the ending, but
it felt like Return of the King. Black screen... then more. Black screen... then more lol.
. I didn't like that the Archon
died by the electrical wires. Would have been damn satisfying to put him down myself.
. Also, regarding the sibling/family...
is there more here? I mean the mom is in stasis, so can I do anything about that? Is there any more Sara stuff to do? Disappointed if there isn't, she didn't get much screen time.

Edit: also finished at 99%. I have 2 side quests that are bugged and won't complete. I must be cursed because I got 99% in Zelda too haha.

DeaDPo0L84

Need some help concerning the Adept profile. I currently have 157 points in biotics and for Adept rank 6 it says I need 232. Thing is the bonus for Biotic jump and evades was shown as an option early on but no matter how many points I put in its still grayed out. Im not even sure how to tell if its active or if its glitched somehow.

JBwB

Need some help concerning the Adept profile. I currently have 157 points in biotics and for Adept rank 6 it says I need 232. Thing is the bonus for Biotic jump and evades was shown as an option early on but no matter how many points I put in its still grayed out. Im not even sure how to tell if its active or if its glitched somehow.

Uh... Can you not tell the difference between a regular jump and biotic jump? It should be pretty obvious haha.

It's always greyed out btw.

Damn straight. I
pulled that trigger without hesitation
and
put Peebee in the friendzone
immediately. Everything she did in that mission was stupid beyond belief and not something I was going to let slide with an 'aw, shucks, isn't Peebee cute?' She
endangered the lives of everyone on-board and by extension jeopardised the whole mission
. It was one of the many, many moments of tonal whiplash - everything is serious and high stakes survival until the writers decide it isn't and we're supposed to stop taking everything so seriously.

Lorewise the notion that Peebee can
pay for a replacement escape pod
makes no earthly sense. Is there a
specialized shipyard that makes components for one-of-a-kind stealth scout ships on the Nexus somewhere? One that takes custom orders and has the materials and parts ready to go at a moment's notice? How does the girl make money anyway, let alone that much? The whole credit-based colonial economy makes no sense to me.

I wish Ryder could do more than the above to express disapproval but I'll take what I can get.

Nekrono

Man I just finished the "Hunting
the Archon
" quest... that was amazing! Loved the graphics and that last fight and moment was pretty awesome!

Loving the game so far, also the eye/animation patch today made all the cutscenes much more enjoyable, I know because I went back and saw it on youtube after finishing the mission and yeah, the changes might be sublte but the impact is huge when you're actually seeing it in motion.

DeaDPo0L84

Uh... Can you not tell the difference between a regular jump and biotic jump? It should be pretty obvious haha.

It's always greyed out btw.

I mean...I guess yea haha. Just figured it would highlite like the other abilities. Does it actually have any real benefit or it just simply looks cool?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=LOj_MzEJ3Ts

Guy is able to take down Destroyer in like 10 seconds. Nullifiers in like 3 seconds, Fiend in like 5 seconds. Just crazy. Turns his Piranha shotgun into a super fast firing plasma homing beast. Maybe something else better but I was impressed with this.

I'd love to try this, but I've only laid hands on two bio converters in the whole ~100 hours I've played, and the first one was from researching them. The fact that most weapon mods are useless and there's only a couple good ones, combined with the fact that you just have to rely on random drops to get the one you want out of like 20 of them, is really prohibitive to the crafting.

I have no idea why that was even a prompt in the first place, it should've been the default action.

Still not sure you get anything from it other than another dumb "choice" hook for the next game.
Kalinda helps out during the final mission, you hear her over the radio a few times.

Lucreto

Just got my ship but I can't decide to go to Eos for tutorial stuff first or go to the other star system and explore.

Any suggestions?

Secondly, did anyone get the strategy guide? Is it worth it? I have a prima voucher code for a free guide.

Vico

I was going back to Eos for the first time, thinking I would just do 3-4 things to get it to 100% viability, but the amount of quests that opened up is crazy. I'm also stumbling on many new ones just by exploring.

rjcc

I was going back to Eos for the first time, thinking I would just do 3-4 things to get it to 100% viability, but the amount of quests that opened up is crazy. I'm also stumbling on many new ones just by exploring.

I knew I had a bunch of quests to finish on Eos, but I just had the same thing happen.

Has anyone who ran into the bug on the
Kett base
that wouldn't let you finish it been able to finish post-patch?

Edit: note, I was able to finish it now. I dunno if I just missed the door before, but I think it only triggered this time.

One thing I've been wondering about [post-game spoilers]
the quarian ark: if the krogan underwent gene therapy to mitigate the worst effects of the Genophage, couldn't quarians have undergone the same therapy so they could survive without their suits? I just imagined a group of suitless quarians, all based on that edited stock photo. :lol

I also wonder if their Pathfinder is quarian, and if so, if he or she has a SAM. Can't imagine a quarian being okay with having an A.I. implanted into their heads.

Wondering when they left the Milky Way, too. I'm guessing it was still prior to the Reaper invasion, but it would've been pretty cool if they actually witnessed the start of the conflict before getting the hell out of dodge.

Rellik

You don't need to do anywhere near all of them for 100% viability.

finlaybob

Neo Member
It's a real shame that I finished the game before the patch hit. It looks like it makes a lot of little improvements that could have helped the enjoyment a bit.

On the other hand I still really enjoyed it, even though there were some weird twisty head glitches and full on Ryder-ejecting, teleporting-to-tempest Nomad bug.

For me it's moved from a 6/10 from the 10 hour trial to a comfortable 8/10, and I thought it felt more like mass effect as time went on.

arhra

[post-game spoilers]
Wondering when they left the Milky Way, too. I'm guessing it was still prior to the Reaper invasion, but it would've been pretty cool if they actually witnessed the start of the conflict before getting the hell out of dodge.
I'd have to go back and
listen to the message again, but I'm pretty sure it implied that they hightailed it out of there after the Reapers showed up, or were at least still close enough when the invasion started that they picked up some comm chatter about it happening.

As far as the SAM/Pathfinder thing goes, not all Quarians were anti-synthetic hardliners - some of them wanted to find a way to live alongside the Geth peacefully, after all. Although maybe that's why they ended up being the ark with all the minor species as well - just not enough Quarians willing to sign up for 600 years in cryosleep on a ship run by an AI to fill it otherwise...

Vico

Some of these bugs are actually pretty funny.
Couldn't move without using the thrusters.
Code:
[img]http://i.imgur.com/aI4WC8O.gif[/img]
You don't need to do anywhere near all of them for 100% viability.

Oh yeah, I realize that, but I have a habit of doing almost everything I can do, particularly with Mass Effect (It's trickier here than before for sure). I wasn't saying I need to do all of them to get to 100% viability. The Kett Base and 2-3 quests should indeed be enough.

Arklite

Going through the loyalty missions can put the game's problem's in a hard light. Good ideas marred by shoddy scene direction or bad cutscene animations/composition/production. Drack's in particular takes a huge awkward hit at the very end.

Just got the game, post-patch. First impressions.

The animations are a bit shit, but that never bothered me too much in previous games. Shame they aren't better though. The fact that they're still crap despite moving to a new engine means that this is clearly a Bioware issue and not an engine one.

My character looks okay, if she is not moving. The doesn't look as goofy as meme-Ryder (e.g. in the no-gravity scene), but I don't know if that is patch fixed here expression or if it's my mouth settings that make it less obvious.
I think I need to re-do my mouth/lips settings since they look 'off' when animated, like the nose/lips are too far backwards and the upper jaw is trying to leave her skull. I might be kinda to blame for that, since meme-Ryder looks like she had collagen lip implants by the 'surgeon' that Leslie Ash used, so I might've over-reacted when trying to avoid that.

Dad looks like a mixed-race Australian aboriginal, despite the twins being white. Probably because I used a light-brown-skinned femRyder that had a nice face shape and adjusted the skin tone to white. I guess dad is chosen purely based on the head numbers that you choose.
Still, at least dad's face looks well-animated compared to mine.

The worst part is the hair. It really does feel worse than previous mass effect games. I'm using one of the long female hair options and it looks awful. It seems to glitch out with the shadowing when it moves, so strands of hair go from light-brown to a black emptiness like it's failing to render properly. I think I need to either go for darker hair so I won't notice or a flat 'lego hairstyle' that won't move around as much.

I set the game to hardcore, which I might change down to normal. The combat is tough, but that just forces me to stand at the back and cover snipe all the time. Feels like the worst example of last-gen rechargeable-health cover-shooting.
Enemies are horrid bullet sponges too, at least when using the starter pistol and rifle.
I'll see if this improves as I level up, get new powers/weapons and more survivability. If it doesn't, I think normal difficulty might be a lot more fun.
Checkpoints are a crapshoot. Had to completely re-do a sidequest because I got killed by a cheesy invisible-dog about 5 seconds into the combat encounter at the end. The solution to this was just more cowardly cover-sniping from as far back as possible, and letting Liam take the hit from the cloak-dogs. Those dogs are supposed to be the game-design counter to flush cowardly players out of cover, but instead they just encourage more of it (so far, at least).

Liam seems like a complete dick. He's nice in conversation but goes full psycho dudebro as soon as combat starts. Ryder and Liam seem like they absolutely do not deserve to be on the mission. It feels more like a JRPG with stupid teenagers inexplicably allowed in adult situations.

Lastly, I don't really get the dialogue options. They don't seem to matter at all. It feels very Fallout 4 so far. I hope this is just because the tutorial mission is necessarily on rails.

Sorry if this seems very negative. There's a lot of potential here, particularly once I unlock some more powers and get some real quests.

nel e nel

Didn't EDI start out with Cerberus? Plus, she was never really designed to
explicitly merge with a human in a host type fashion like SAM is.

The sex robot thing was just weird. I got nothin' on that.

EDI actually started out as the rogue VI on the moon from ME1. Cerberus then enhanced it with Reaper tech to make the version that appears in ME2 & 3.

Arklite

Sorry if this seems very negative. There's a lot of potential here, particularly once I unlock some more powers and get some real quests.

There's a lot that improves and a lot that doesn't. Combat gets more manageable and malleable soon, with the addition of boost making firefights more open. Unfortunately enemy and squad AI can often behave awkwardly. Bugs don't improve, animations don't improve (yet?) but squad members get better as you get accustomed to them. Liam is a permanent bro for better or worse.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I set the game to hardcore, which I might change down to normal. The combat is tough, but that just forces me to stand at the back and cover snipe all the time. Feels like the worst example of last-gen rechargeable-health cover-shooting.
Enemies are horrid bullet sponges too, at least when using the starter pistol and rifle.
I'll see if this improves as I level up, get new powers/weapons and more survivability. If it doesn't, I think normal difficulty might be a lot more fun.
Checkpoints are a crapshoot. Had to completely re-do a sidequest because I got killed by a cheesy invisible-dog about 5 seconds into the combat encounter at the end. The solution to this was just more cowardly cover-sniping from as far back as possible, and letting Liam take the hit from the cloak-dogs. Those dogs are supposed to be the game-design counter to flush cowardly players out of cover, but instead they just encourage more of it (so far, at least).

Yeah, early on Normal difficulty feels just right, but once you get overpowered on skills, weapons and mods, it become so painfully easy and you might just go to Hardcore like I did. Might depend on your profile or main skills though.
Even at Hardcore difficulty, regular enemies(even shielded/armored ones) dies in a few secs with a combo of Charge, getting primed by Annihilation Field, followed by a biotic combo with Shockwave and finishing them off with a single melee hit or a few shotgun shots. Only troublesome enemies being those big robots or Fiends.
It feels sooo good to play like this, I feel like a badass with all the charging, launching Shockwaves in a group primed for combos, strong melee hits with Krogan hammer, evading in midair, jump melee hits enemies from above and shooting them right in their face. Rarely have to worry about dying because melee hits gives a little bit of shield, and Charge refill it completely.

Matush

80 hours later with 96% completion on Insanity difficulty, my first and sadly FINAL playthrough I'll ever do is over. As a huge fan of the original trilogy, Andromeda was easily one of the most anticipated games of this generation, and it did not deliver (at least for me) at all.

Besides horrendous animations, faces and literally game breaking bugs/glitches (thankfully many of the were fixed in the latest patch), story, dialogues and quest lines were just plain boring and uninspiring. Sure, there were some bright moments in loyalty missions and even side quests, specifically resolution to
Movie night
, but other than that, I can't remember any memorable quests or characters. Sure, they would be okay or even great, but we live in the post-Witcher 3 world, where my standards are simply much higher.

What a disappointment, 5-6/10.

Vico

The architect fights are bullshit. It can take 30minutes, and all it takes is one mistake and we have to start all over. I sure love that.

Actually, it's even worse here since I also had a nasty bug, I had already destroyed the three legs but for some reason the game decided to restart the fight all over.

It's a great boss, but really it shouldn't Spawn so much smaller units. I swear I spend more time fighting them than him.

prag16

Banned
Sure does feel weird discovering Quarian starship parts inside a long abandoned Remnant shipwreck. Something the Quarians haven't told us? Maybe they've come this way before.

Yeah, there must be some random generation factor for the loot (and it doesn't always make sense).

Peebees loyalty quest is so annoying.

God damn go across the god damn galaxy 6 times.

The key here is don't do the whole chain all at once. Just advance at along with some other quests next time you're at whichever planet. In many cases if you lock in on one quest and schlep around like a maniac, you're gonna have a bad time. But if you don't, and just get to things when you get to things whenever you're where you need to be, it's not bad at all.

The side quest "Contagion" is awful. Overly long and super tedious.

Except for this quest. This quest can die in a fire. Do not want. This is the one that really made me wish there was an "ignore" or "abandon quest" button of some kind.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
The architect fights are bullshit. It can take 30minutes, and all it takes is one mistake and we have to start all over. I sure love that.

Actually, it's even worse here since I also had a nasty bug, I had already destroyed the three legs but for some reason the game decided to restart the fight all over.

It's a great boss, but really it shouldn't Spawn so much smaller units. I swear I spend more time fighting them than him.

I noped out on them for a while and did them later on when leveled up a lot and they're not so bad then. More like 10-15 minutes tops. I'm just playing on normal and like being overleveled though as I don't care about challenge in these kind of games. I'll check out the MP for some harder combat when I'm done.

On the progress front, played through the [/SPOILER]Archon's[/SPOILER] Ship story mission. That was a solid missions, but still feel the villain is poorly developed/lame. Then I cleared out all the ally/relationship missions that popped up after that--some cool bits but annoying that all were just go to planet for conversation missions. Found a Heleus mission I'd missed on one planet and did that too. Then scanned all planets in new systems that had popped up and called it a night ready to go on to the next story mission.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Traded the game and got Persona 5 instead because I couldn't stand the glitches and animations. Is it better now?

Some animations are better, the eyes are less terrible with a filter they applied, and they patched some of the bugs.

Not enough to change the opinion of someone bothered by them enough to trade the game though IMO. Persona 5 is a long game, so mayber ME:A will be patched enough for you by the time you're done with it.

Top Bottom