• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
As someone who didn't have high hopes for Andromeda I can say this:

So far I like it. It's not emotional or touching the same way the previous games were and the characters aren't remotely close to memorable as the previous trilogy.

I do like what they were going for: an homage to the first game.

Sadly, the hateful attitude towards the ME:A probably means Shinobi will not post here anymore.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Fun stuff, if you get 100% in all worlds before completing the main story the game will give you a spoiler ;(

Lame, but I'm really not invested in the main plot so can't say I'm likely to care much.

bati

(Post Peebee Loyalty spoiler)
Poor Peebee, she's asking for help and everyone throw some lame excuse not to. Although I did laugh at Jaal saying it was an angarian holiday

Crew bonding moments were really great. I legit lold during Movie Night quest.

Vengal

(Post Peebee Loyalty spoiler)
Poor Peebee, she's asking for help and everyone throw some lame excuse not to. Although I did laugh at Jaal saying it was an angarian holiday

I don't recall that happening, is that part of the romance line?

Coxy100

Banned

So far I like it. It's not emotional or touching the same way the previous games were and the characters aren't remotely close to memorable as the previous trilogy.

Sadly, the hateful attitude towards the ME:A probably means Shinobi will not post here anymore.

What? I obviously missed that - what were people saying to Shinobi?

A shame - he made some great contributions here.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

He was playing early and made a thread posting his impressions which were overwhelmingly positive. He's also friends with some Bioware devs and made that clear.

He got lambasted as a shill, ME fanboy etc. for just posting his honest take on the game. It was completely ridiculous, largely driven by Bioware haters, and he understandably said fuck this place and left and probably won't be back.

Reposting from previous page

Kallo seems to have bugged out for me. Every time I board the Tempest now, he asks for a chat. But when I speak to him, he just skips straight to his usual conversation options. Anybody else experienced this? I feel like this might be the
movie night
quest.

Was Kallo the quest starter for the segment of the
movie night
quest after
Vetra's portion with the popcorn?

Ros8105

4nHXl5m.png

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jt0fm5sk20
lol, that pretty much sums up that awful character.

TheFatMan

The way that thread treated Shinobi was almost enough to make me stop reading GAF. It was disgusting and ridiculous. I'm suprised Bishop didn't go a ban streak with that thread.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Reposting from previous page

Was Kallo the quest starter for the segment of the
movie night
quest after
Vetra's portion with the popcorn?

I haven't gotten that with Kallo, but I do have Lexi asking to see me in the medbay everytinme I reboard the ship and yet she has nothing to say when I go there.

Coxy100

Banned
He was playing early and made a thread posting his impressions which were overwhelmingly positive. He's also friends with some Bioware devs and made that clear.

He got lambasted as a shill, ME fanboy etc. for just posting his honest take on the game. It was completely ridiculous, largely driven by Bioware haters, and he understandably said fuck this place and left and probably won't be back.

The way that thread treated Shinobi was almost enough to make me stop reading GAF. It was disgusting and ridiculous. I'm suprised Bishop didn't go a ban streak with that thread.

Such a shame - he was a great poster. Like you say, a shame people weren't banned then. If it's enough to make someone leave the forum (especially one so respected).

Gestault

Backseat ban-talk is against the rules for its own reasons and I have a feeling the meta-discussion of Shinobi you're having is likely to bring in the people who disagree about the situation and start that fire up again.

Without bringing in real end-game spoiler details, does the climax to Andromeda feel like a good payoff by the time you finish it? With the setup and the sort of limp characterizations, I'm having trouble feeling motivated. But I love me some good sci-fi...

Weebos

Banned
I beat this game on Monday. Overall I enjoyed it, but it certainly wasn't as good or memorable as the original trilogy. Worth playing, but nothing spectacular. I just wish they gave it a few more months. Some extra polish would have gone a long way.

Catching up on the upcoming patch and this seems the most important to me:
Improved logic, timing, and continuity for relationships and story arcs

This is probably my biggest complaint with the game. Many events felt disjointed, hopefully the game will flow better further down the line. That said, I'm not really motivated to play this game again, maybe I'll have more motivation to do so in a few years time. Inquisition I played through twice, and am still working through a third playthrough.

RDreamer

Fun stuff, if you get 100% in all worlds before completing the main story the game will give you a spoiler ;(

Huh? I didn't get a spoiler, I don't think. Did it come in an email or something?

Personally I think it's hard to compare characters to the other trilogy since a lot of them got 2 or even 3 games worth of development. I'm not completely finished yet, but I think I like the crew better than I liked the crew right after ME1.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Huh? I didn't get a spoiler, I don't think. Did it come in an email or something?

From what I remember, during a cutscene, they name a few locations Ryder apparently went to. Some you might not have personally reached yet though.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member
Without bringing in real end-game spoiler details, does the climax to Andromeda feel like a good payoff by the time you finish it?

It's probably best to finish the story and find out for yourself. These things are subjective.

Without bringing in real end-game spoiler details, does the climax to Andromeda feel like a good payoff by the time you finish it? With the setup and the sort of limp characterizations, I'm having trouble feeling motivated. But I love me some good sci-fi...

Yes, I enjoyed it.

prag16

Banned

The best (worst) part was that even after Shinobi had already basically rage quit the forum, the ME:A review thread also devolved into a circlejerk shitting on Shinobi for for alleged astroturfing and fanboyism. It got locked and rebooted in no small part due to that.

I don't blame shinobi at all. For a longstanding and valued member of the community to be treated in that way was absolutely embarrassing, and paints a very poor picture of the direction discourse here has been heading for a while now (e.g. everybody is a fanboy or a hater, console warzz, everything is either GOAT or awful garbage, opinions are fact and opinions are wrong, etc etc).

Personally I think it's hard to compare characters to the other trilogy since a lot of them got 2 or even 3 games worth of development. I'm not completely finished yet, but I think I like the crew better than I liked the crew right after ME1.

Yeah, this is another thing that people often don't acknowledge when they wax poetic about the trilogy. Garrus and Tali really didn't become interesting until ME2. Ashley and Kaidan are widely acknowledged as mediocre. Wrex is Wrex. Liara was sort of flat in ME1 as well, with LotSB and ME3 fixing that. In a ME1 vs. ME:A vacuum, I'd definitely give ME:A the clear edge with regard to the crew.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

Such a shame - he was a great poster. Like you say, a shame people weren't banned then. If it's enough to make someone leave the forum (especially one so respected).

Yeah, it's all a shame. And GAF in general is decling and just getting more and more toxic.

It's just gotten too big and too active for it's own good. It's nearly impossible to moderate as it's too big to have basic forum features like report post as they couldn't keep enough moderators to keep up with. The current solution of having members PM mods doesn't work as it's in the opposite extreme as it's too much work for even those of us who care to figure out which mod to PM, paste a link to problem posts etc.

I lean more and more toward just walking away. About the only good game discussions you can find on the internet anymore are gaming sub forums on some sites for other hobbies like movies. The hardcore gaming community is just too toxic and those sites tend to suffer less as it's more casual gamers since the site is catered to hardcore movie fans etc. (the movie discussion are often awful as hardcore fans of anything are just terrible if you aren't one yourself).

Weebos

Banned

From what I remember, during a cutscene, they name a few locations Ryder apparently went to. Some you might not have personally reached yet though.

I got this spoiler before I finished the game. They mention (endgame spoiler)
Meridian, which basically spoils that it becomes a colony.

Cornbread78

Quick question on all the "ships"

Which is the most rewarding to go for and offers a compelling romance?

I'm still on Eos, but want to know who I should focus on once things heat up. Not into Gil of the red haired girl, and Cora is pretty bland as well...

Oh man, I switched up my skills and am now running Incinerate, Charge and Energy Drain and it's really great. Just fucking tech explosions for days while Charge and Energy Drain keep my shields from ever depleting

I'm still on Eos, but want to know who I should focus on once things heat up. Not into Gil of the red haired girl, and Cora is pretty bland as well...

Jaal and Vetra are my favourite romances in the game

Weebos

Banned

I went with Vetra. I didn't find it very satisfying. I felt like all the other companions got more time to shine.

Backseat ban-talk is against the rules for its own reasons and I have a feeling the meta-discussion of Shinobi you're having is likely to bring in the people who disagree about the situation and start that fire up again.

Yes, the final sequence is actually really good. How far are you in the game because the characters get a lot of development and characterization by the end. By the end it really feels like you've formed a bond with your squad IMO. The kett are sadly a bit underdeveloped, but they do tell you some interesting things about them that they could potentially expand upon a lot in a possible sequel.

Jaal and Peebee are my favorites.

Staf

The end sequence is really great. Really loved it. But all the squadmates and characters in the game falls flat for me, unlike the OT, so i cared little what happened to them after and during the ending. But it's still worth playing it for the spectacle.

Anyone have advice on using the augments from research points. Am I best to just grab some and then dismantle my gear if I want to carry the augment forward.

With that said anyone have some augment recommendations?

Oh man, I switched up my skills and am now running Incinerate, Charge and Energy Drain and it's really great. Just fucking tech explosions for days while Charge and Energy Drain keep my shields from ever depleting

I just started using this last night and I think it's my favorite power combo so far. You can make both incinerate and energy drain both detonate and prime targets. Then detonate with charge or whatever power is available.

Nori Chan

I feel like I should hold on playing through the game until the animations are fixed...I'm not too far I'm barely meeting the Angara...I'm actually debating starting over too for it.

What are your thoughts guys?

prag16

Banned
I feel like I should hold on playing through the game until the animations are fixed...I'm not too far I'm barely meeting the Angara...I'm actually debating starting over too for it.

I wouldn't get hope too high regarding "fixing the animations". They'll do QoL stuff and bug fixing, but maybe I'm being too pessimistic (though I'm not someone the animations were a HUGE deal for to begin with), but I don't expect changes to animations to be all that noticeable. If they fix the dead eyes that'd be nice though.

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member

The first patch is tomorrow. It couldn't hurt to wait a day, if you're conflicted.

As someone who has yet to start this game, this article has me worried. Can anyone confirm or deny what is claimed in there?

I really don't want another grind fest filled with meaningless crap again. Dragon Age was enough.

VpomRurd

As someone who has yet to start this game, this article has me worried. Can anyone confirm or deny what is claimed in there?

I really don't want another grind fest filled with meaningless crap again. Dragon Age was enough.

I could never really get into DA:I but from what I've heard of the game, yes they are similar. It really does feel like MMO-lite quests all over the place. Largely meaningless, bland dialogue and very uninspired. But the combat is fantastic so that alone will probably get another playthrough from me.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

Most of the bad content is optional.

My advice on side content is do the ally and relationship missions (the loyalty quests are in there), focus on the Heleus missions and ignore the additional tasks quest section.

With the Heleus missions,if you find them tiring focus on doing the monoliths/vaults and the ones required to get a settlement on each planet as that will get planets most of the way to 100% viability and then you can just do a few more to top it off.

Game is pretty solid for me playing it that way. Much less required bs quests than DA:I.

Cornbread78

Jaal and Vetra are my favourite romances in the game

I went with Vetra. I didn't find it very satisfying. I felt like all the other companions got more time to shine.

Jaal and Peebee are my favorites.

So they went all out for Alien love this time around, huh?

I'm still really early in the game and have only met Pheebee so far, so maybe I'll just stick to the Asari.

prag16

Banned

Yes and no. And I think it's unwarrantedly (is that a word?) reductive to state that in such simple terms.

There is a lot of nearly meaningless crap in ME:A. I would argue that the percentage is lower in ME:A than DA:I though. And it's definitely easier to ignore (nothing substantial is gated behind grinding through the shitty content; no power levels system or anything; and the majority of the shitty content inhabits a designated "Additional Tasks" category in the jounal; yes there is some shitty content elsewhere but imo not a huge percentage).

And the combat is far FAR better in ME:A than DA:I (imo of course) so it makes some of the traversal and encounters less laborious and un-fun.

I could never really get into DA:I but from what I've heard of the game, yes they are similar. It really does feel like MMO-lite quests all over the place. Largely meaningless, bland dialogue and very uninspired. But the combat is fantastic so that alone will probably get another playthrough from me.

Most of the bad content is optional.

My advice on side content is do the ally and relationship missions (the loyalty quests are in there), focus on the Heleus missions and ignore the additional tasks quest section.

With the Heleus missions,if you find them tiring focus on doing the monoliths/vaults and the ones required to get a settlement on each planet as that will get planets most of the way to 100% viability and then you can just do a few more to top it off.

Game is pretty solid for me playing it that way. Much less required bs quests than DA:I.

Yes and no. And I think it's unwarrantedly (is that a word?) reductive to state that in such simple terms.

There is a lot of nearly meaningless crap in ME:A. I would argue that the percentage is lower in ME:A than DA:I though. And it's definitely easier to ignore (nothing substantial is gated behind grinding through the shitty content; no power levels system or anything; and the majority of the shitty content inhabits a designated "Additional Tasks" category in the jounal; yes there is some shitty content elsewhere but imo not a huge percentage).

And the combat is far FAR better in ME:A than DA:I (imo of course) so it makes some of the traversal and encounters less laborious and un-fun.
Sounds like I should write down a reminder to ignore anything under Additional Tasks then. Good to know.

After experiencing the side quests in recent RPG's like Witcher 3 and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, I no longer have the patience for that DAI formula. It's also part of the reason I haven't yet played MEA.

prag16

Banned
Sounds like I should write down a reminder to ignore anything under Additional Tasks then. Good to know.

After experiencing the side quests in recent RPG's like Witcher 3 and Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, I no longer have the patience for that DAI formula. It's also part of the reason I haven't yet played MEA.

Keeping to Heleus assignments, and especially "allies and relationships" stuff goes a long way towards "fixing" the bad questing. Not entirely; some of the Heleus stuff still has you running around like a chicken with its head cut off at times. But imo some of the highs are higher than Witcher 3 side content even if the overall total quality isn't at that level.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Anyone tried playing Infiltrator? I loved it in the trilogy, but here seems a bit underwhelmed without the power to slow down time for easy headshots(haven't seen anything like that so far mentioned in the Infiltrator profile.

Reaction to this game pisses me off so much... I actually think the scores this game is getting are somewhat deserved, but what I don't understand is why people ever gave Mass Effect 3 a pass in exactly the same areas! Andromeda has much better new characters, sidequests are miles better than Mass Effect 3 and story and writing are about on the same level.

This game somehow became a scapegoat for everything that large studios have done in the past. Did everyone just forget how shitty ME 3 opening was?

Anyway, I'm enjoying Andromeda much more than I enjoyed ME 3 and I'm hoping to see review which is more about Andromeda is instead of what it could have been...

arhra

There are a few things in that category that are worth it (the reporter, for example, which can even lead to a romance if you pursue it, I believe), so don't just ignore everything there entirely.

But the meaningless fetch quests/scavenger hunts are pretty obvious and easy to dismiss (I ended up completing some simply because I was grabbing things in passing on my way to more interesting stuff, but still had a hefty pile left unfinished at the end).

Top Bottom