• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

Just beat it.
Glad it ended on a high note, but overall this definitely felt like a B-Team effort kinda game.

The overall writing where nearly every character has to be sarcastic or joking at all times (especially in combat) was really grating for me. Even when the writing was good enough that a joke actually made me laugh (there was a kinda funny Star Wars reference at one point), the voice acting for (male) Ryder was so poor that even something as simple as a Star Wars reference wasn't done very well. And slap on the poor facial models and animations on all the human characters and it turns into a game where I almost dread what the characters will say every time I choose a response (in a series where I used to LOVE all the conversations and character interactions.

I can see what they were doing by removing the Paragon/Renegade system and a lot of the binary good/bad choices from the game, but what we're left with is almost nothing. When I replay this game as female Ryder after all the DLC comes out, I don't look forward to making different choice because they all seemed largely pointless. None of the choices I made seemed meaningful enough that I care if they get expanded upon in Andromeda 2. At least in Mass Effect 1, the choices were cool enough that I wanted to see their repercussions; even the small choices like helping a couple decide to have a baby or not felt nice to do even if you only get an email response or a line of dialog in ME2 or 3. Maybe that was just because ME1 was fresh and new, but I don't think I got that feeling once in Andromeda.

Combat felt like it was worse as a cover-based shooter with a focus on teamwork, but it's improved as an active run-and-gun kind of game. I did this playthrough mostly like I did in my ME2+3 builds, so I did a lot of cover shooting and using Overload on Shields, Incinerate on Armor, and that biotic "wub, wub, wub" power for chaining stuff and hitting people behind stuff. I do look forward to playing it as more of a fast paced, close range kind of game in my second playthrough.

I liked the planet colonization stuff the best in the game, that was definitely a good concept for Mass Effect. But sadly I felt like the Remnant tech stuff took the sense of adventure out of it. "Land on a rocky desert planet? Lets drill for water, clear out a cave to settle in, or make peace with hostile natives. Nah, lets just activate this magic vault and make the world 50% better instantly."

The main story missions were pretty good (especially the last one), but the loyalty missions were lacking outside of the ""find the ark" ones.

I do still love this series and I really want a quality follow-up to this game. The Andromeda galaxy has a lot of potential and there are still some mysteries I want to find out more about (like
the source of The Scourge
) and the Kett is an interesting enemy/species that I'd like to learn more about. This game seemed to barely scratch the surface of the Kett and the Archon was a painfully generic badguy (I have a thirst for power! I'm way better than you!!).

Apoptomon

Apparently, you can drive onto the top of the Tempest. I only just found that out.

Build question: Mostly I've been rockin' a Sentinel profile with Pull, Throw, and Overload as powers and the Kett sword, carnifex, black widow, and pathfinder pioneer for weapons. It's been okay for everything but armor. Anyway, I'm at the point where gear is grade VII, but the pioneer assault rifle caps at rank V so I've been wondering if it'll need to replaced eventually. Are there other good similar ARs?

Apparently, you can drive onto the top of the Tempest. I only just found that out.

Build question: Mostly I've been rockin' a Sentinel profile with Pull, Throw, and Overload as powers and the Kett sword, carnifex, black widow, and pathfinder pioneer for weapons. It's been okay for everything but armor. Anyway, I'm at the point where gear is grade VII, but the pioneer assault rifle caps at rank V so I've been wondering if it'll need to replaced eventually. Are there other good similar ARs?

After rank V, you unlock the ability to research/develop 'advanced' versions of the same weapon - pretty sure you now have Advanced Pioneer pop up in the list.

Any suggestions on what Caro Pods to awaken? I'm doing that thing where I'm so paralysed by indecision that I'm just accumulating AVP points and not utilising them

'Reconnaissance' is a must have. You'll have secret chests shown on the map near forward stations that contains uncommon and rare crafting materials, rare and ultra rare weapons. You can disassemble weapons and armor you don't want for rare minerals and sometimes mods.

Next cryo pod skill I'd go for after that would be 'Mining Operations' which grants you a selection of minerals every 45 mins when you check the AVP terminal on the Tempest. I've received Platinum and Element Zero among the selection a number of times. If you do a lot of development on weapons and armors, this AVP skill will prove to be very useful

Definitely start with those and work from there.

'Financial Infrastructure' is not bad; it grants 500 credits every 45 mins when you collect from the AVP terminal. Its upgrade boosts the reward to 750 credits.

'Lab Technicians' is useful during the start of the game since it grants 100 milky way research points every 45 mins. I didn't encounter a lot of objects that could be scanned for those research points until later on in the game, so if your looking to research a lot of those N7 weapons earlier on, this helps greatly speed up the process.

'Trade Capacity' used to be a vital cryo pod skill to increase your meager inventory space, but ever since the latest patch, you now start with 100 slots instead of 50. I wouldn't worry about getting this upgrade until mid game, as I never exceeded 80 throughout the entire game.

Lastly, definitely get the 'Fusion Mod support' skill that halves the penalty of the ultra rare fusion mods you can install in your armor on the load out screen. You gain those by defeating the Remnant architects. Incredibly usefully. Make sure it's one of the 19 cryo pods you are permitted to unlock. The game has 28 of them, but you can only unlock 19 of them.

'Reconnaissance' is a must have. You'll have secret chests shown on the map near forward stations that contains uncommon and rare crafting materials, rare and ultra rare weapons. You can disassemble weapons and armor you don't want for rare minerals and sometimes mods.

Next cryo pod skill I'd go for after that would be 'Mining Operations' which grants you a selection of minerals every 45 mins when you check the AVP terminal on the Tempest. I've received Platinum and Element Zero among the selection a number of times. If you do a lot of development on weapons and armors, this AVP skill will prove to be very useful

Definitely start with those and work from there.

'Financial Infrastructure' is not bad; it grants 500 credits every 45 mins when you collect from the AVP terminal. Its upgrade boosts the reward to 750 credits.

'Lab Technicians' is useful during the start of the game since it grants 100 milky way research points every 45 mins. I didn't encounter a lot of objects that could be scanned for those research points until later on in the game, so if your looking to research a lot of those N7 weapons earlier on, this helps greatly speed up the process.

'Trade Capacity' used to be a vital cryo pod skill to increase your meager inventory space, but ever since the latest patch, you now start with 100 slots instead of 50. I wouldn't worry about getting this upgrade until mid game, as I never exceeded 80 throughout the entire game.

Lastly, definitely get the 'Fusion Mod support' skill that halves the penalty of the ultra rare fusion mods you can install in your armor on the load out screen. You gain those by defeating the Remnant architects. Incredibly usefully. Make sure it's one of the 19 cryo pods you are permitted to unlock. The game has 28 of them, but you can only unlock 19 of them.

Thanks a lot! Really appreciate the advice

Alo0oy

Banned
I think I'm pretty close to finishing the game,
I just rescued the Salarian Ark.

What exactly is the point of you having a twin sibling if
they're in a coma almost the entire time, why not have the sibling be a crew member or an actual character?

Apoptomon

lol, got mauled by a dinosaur while locked into conversation camera.

After rank V, you unlock the ability to research/develop 'advanced' versions of the same weapon - pretty sure you now have Advanced Pioneer pop up in the list.
See that's the thing - afaik the pathfinder weapons don't have 'advanced' versions. Oh well, maybe i'll try sticking the vintage ammo on something to try recreate the lancer.

N7.Angel

OMG I have an infinite loading screen on PC after 45h of gameplay, restart the game, restart the computer, try another save, still doesn't work, FUCK THIS GAME and FUCK EA/BIOWARE.

So I've been trying to track down all the miniatures for the Pathfinder's quarters on the Tempest. I think I'm missing one: The Ark Hyperion. Does anyone know where it is? I've read it's
in a building in Prodromos
, but damned if I can find it and I've searched every one. I think it's the only one I'm missing now.

Ricker

Just landed on Eos late last evening and stopped but so far I am liking this game a lot...I like the story and all the conversations so far...the stuff with SAM is pretty cool as well.

OMG I have an infinite loading screen on PC after 45h of gameplay, restart the game, restart the computer, try another save, still doesn't work, FUCK THIS GAME and FUCK EA/BIOWARE.

Ouch,this really sucks though if you cant fix it...

Thanks a lot! Really appreciate the advice

Sure thing. Just be sure to create a back up save file before you spend a cryo pod point just in case you're unsatisfied with whatever cryo pod skill you unlocked. Like I said, you can only unlock 19 out of 28, and some of them are crap IMO.

I'd personally skip:
-Expanded Field Analysis and it's upgrade for rare minerals. All it does it show you rich mining locations for rare minerals that can be extracted with your Nomad.
-Improved Deployment isn't that great. Only a 10% increase on research points when scanning objects
-Hunting Parties
-Special Forces
-Gray Market Connections and its upgrade. The discount isn't all that. Think it was like 5-10%. Plus you make a shit load of credits throughout the game to buy whatever you want. I finished the game with 80k in credits.
-Market Dominance: All it does it makes merchants sell N7 weapons and gear that matches the level of your character. You're better off developing them with mod slots to install researched mods into.
-Anything to do with APEX missions if your don't play the multiplayer.

Alo0oy

Banned
So in order to go from Elaaden to Kadara, I have to go through these loading screens:

1- Loading screen back to the Tempest.
2- Galaxy loading screens.
3- Loading screen from Tempest to Kadara port.
4- Loading screen from Kadara port to badlands.
5- Loading screen to my fast travel location in the badlands.

With proper QoL options, the game could have skipped all the way to step 5.

And before that, the quest had me travel from planet to planet all over, I spent over 50% of the time on loading screens with this quest (And I'm being generous here). If anyone's wondering, the quest is
Trush and trespass

Cartho

I'm enjoying it but damn some of the checkpointing is god awful. Just fought through a huge load of Kett to get into a facility, got to the end, opened the door and a shielded invictor spawned. Ok I thought to myself, let's do this.

So I was fighting him, when all of a sudden loads more Kett came in behind me, including wraiths. So now I was totally surrounded. I ended up getting flanked everywhere and dying but instead of reloading at the start of the boss encounter, it took me right outside the bloody facility again so I now have to fight my way in all over again.

Quit right there. Might come back to it later. Christ I hate checkpoint systems.

prag16

Banned
Do you have cloud saving enabled? I think some other people were able to fix save issues by deleting local saves and redownloading them from the cloud storage. If deleting seems risky you can probably temporarily move them to another folder instead.

I'm on Voeld and yeah... I'm missing Havarl's more condensed nature a lot. Driving around isn't too bad, but everything's a bit too spread out, so getting to forward station drop points or sidequest locations is a massive pain in the ass.

prag16

Banned
I'm on Voeld and yeah... I'm missing Havarl's more condensed nature a lot. Driving around isn't too bad, but everything's a bit too spread out, so getting to forward station drop points or sidequest locations is a massive pain in the ass.
It doesn't take too long to drive most places. The part that irritates me is how they put things on or over mountainsides so often, making getting there a pain, giving flashbacks of shitty mako shit from ME1.

I'll try when I come back from work...

Infinite loading screen

The re-download thing may have been for the black screen issues iirc but can't hurt to try. Really strange that all of a sudden NO saves would work. Maybe remove and re-download the game itself as a last resort of all else fails. Dunno.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
If there is one thing i'm disappointed is that why have so many star systems when the majority of them have nothing interesting going on, no planets(even if it's something as short as the crashed ship on a cliff that ME2 had) or ships to land on?

I mean, the only point of going into the non-story star systems is reading some planet descriptions and gathering some xp, materials or research points if you really feel like you need that.

It doesn't take too long to drive most places. The part that irritates me is how they put things on or over mountainsides so often, making getting there a pain, giving flashbacks of shitty mako shit from ME1.
I think that's a big part of it too. It's a lot harder to navigate than Eos, where you could easily spot routes up mountains/cliffs.

Vico

100% on Havarl. That was fast, even though some of you said it I didn't expect it to be that fast.
I'm glad I played that planet After Eos and Voeld, the change of pace/structure was very pleasing.

Now I should continue de the main story. The squadmates have been stuck on a loop ("We should continue the Story before talking again") for 10hours.

I think that's a big part of it too. It's a lot harder to navigate than Eos, where you could easily spot routes up mountains/cliffs.

With the extended booster that you can acquire through research, it gets pretty easy to climb up some places on Voeld. It sure helped a lot in my case.

They added a lot of skins for the Nomad, btw, I'm impressed. The Nexus merchant keeps having new ones each time I look. I'm using the star system one, pretty cheap-looking but cool nonetheless.

Bisnic

Well, that movie night scene was good & funny
(especially with Kallo)
until the last part where my Ryder was invisible. First time this kind of glitch happen in my game lol.

prag16

Banned
100% on Harvald. That was fast, even though some of you said it I didn't expect it to be that fast.
I'm glad I played that planet After Eos and Voeld, the change of pace/structure was very pleasing.
I'm probably being dumb and missing something obvious... but I can't figure out how to continue the "Dying Planet" quest on Havarl. The nav point would seemingly need me to climb a 200ft sheer cliff face to get over to it, but I poked around for 1/2 hour last night unable to find a way up, around, or through. -_-

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
I'm really enjoying this game so far. However I really miss Paragon/Renegade.

I thought their omission would be a good thing. But now it seems like your only choice is to say the same thing in either a witty/clever way or a serious way.

Paragon/renegade really gave Shepard some personality. So many of the quests could have different resolutions depending on which path you took.

With Ryder I just sort of pick whichever sounds better, knowing that it'll be the same result just with a slightly different line of dialog. It really makes Ryder seem so dry and boring.

Vico

I'm probably being dumb and missing something obvious... but I can't figure out how to continue the "Dying Planet" quest on Havarl. The nav point would seemingly need me to climb a 200ft sheer cliff face to get over to it, but I poked around for 1/2 hour last night unable to find a way up, around, or through. -_-

I'm not exactly sure where you're stuck, but you're supposed to go down the ravine and then south.

Any recommendations for weapons and augments for harder difficulties?

I've been running a N7 Crusader and a Vanquisher and they just aren't cutting it anymore.

I'm running Incinerate, Charge and Energy Drain. I don't think I really need a shotgun, as using one of my tech powers, followed by a charge and melee is normally enough to kill most enemies. What I think I'm looking for is something for mid to longer distances

Alo0oy

Banned
I'm really enjoying this game so far. However I really miss Paragon/Renegade.

I thought their omission would be a good thing. But now it seems like your only choice is to say the same thing in either a witty/clever way or a serious way.

Paragon/renegade really gave Shepard some personality. So many of the quests could have different resolutions depending on which path you took.

With Ryder I just sort of pick whichever sounds better, knowing that it'll be the same result just with a slightly different line of dialog. It really makes Ryder seem so dry and boring.

Yeah, the more I play, the more I think my NG+ playthrough would be a quick one just to get the insanity and Romance trophies. I'd rather spend my time in the MP.

The issue isn't the lack of Renegade options, it's not allowing you to make Ryder an asshole, which was always fun in a second playthrough.

jrcbandit

I'll try when I come back from work...

Infinite loading screen

You're going to have to revert to an earlier save. I've encountered this bug twice so far... The auto saves closest to the bugged save also failed for me. Had to select an auto save or manual save that was in a different area. One suggestion was to completely reboot the PC, but the infinite loading still happened with the bugged save.

Also, I'm playing the game at 4k 60 fps for most part on a 1080Ti, but the frame rates on the Tempest just suck for me, and conversations tank unless I put depth of field on medium. Why is it so taxing in this game?

Ending was alright, but I enjoyed my time with it. It's definitely a great foundation and if they iron out the technical issues and manage to have consistent writing, the potential sequel would be what most ME fans wanted. The gameplay and squad was what kept me going and Insanity isn't too bad.

I definitely feel that DA:Inquisition should've been scrutinized as much as this game.

Gold_Loot

I had this same thing happen to me ( on PS4 pro )

I just let it hang on the loading screen for a few mins and it eventually finished by itself. Maybe try that?

hydruxo

Removing Paragon/Renegade in this reminds me a lot what Bethesda did with FO4 when they added voice acting for the main character + condensed the dialogue options. They were too focused on simplifying things and making it new that they didn't realize that what was already there was better.

UltraMav

Removing Paragon/Renegade in this reminds me a lot what Bethesda did with FO4 when they added voice acting for the main character + condensed the dialogue options. They were too focused on simplifying things and making it new that they didn't realize that what was already there was better.

I didn't mind removing the paragon/renegade bar and the restriction of certain options based on that score. The problem is you can't be a dick anymore. In far too many cases, you're essentially given between two and four ways to respond that all mean the same thing, ranging from "heartfelt yes," to "logical yes." Fallout 4 is an apt comparison.

Madness

There is no real point to a second playthrough honestly. The choices are not meaningful, there is little no variation in the dialogue because the other characters react nearly the same, and your character cannot truly be different than the other.

I would have loved paragon/renegade to stay so that I could have played as a good twin and then have one save as a bad twin. Be a virtuous goody goody in one saving everyone. Ruthless and abrasive to everyone else in the next. But with all the bugs, glitches and just filler, it wouldn't be fun. All I am thinking about these days is about a sequel but don't know how it would even be developed with Edmonton still doing their own IP and Montreal not big enough to finish this game let alone be given another larger one.

Ascenion

I disagree with the notion applied to Andromeda. Paragon/Renegade was overly simplified to start with. A very much black and white system. The choices in MEA that would've fallen into the system seem more nuanced because of the removal. I actually have to think instead of blindly looking to blue or red my way through a conversation. The choices are more difficult imo, even if the pay off is lacking. Andromeda doesn't punish you for being a little bit reckless and a little bit pragmatic like the Trilogy did.

I didn't mind removing the paragon/renegade bar and the restriction of certain options based on that score. The problem is you can't be a dick anymore. In far too many cases, you're essentially given between two and four ways to respond that all mean the same thing, ranging from "heartfelt yes," to "logical yes." Fallout 4 is an apt comparison.

What? I can't speak for Sara but most of Scott's casual voice options end up being straight asshole/ douche responses. He's absolutely a dick if you want him to be.

Reule

Question about post-Vetra Loyalty Mission:

Heard there is a rock climbing mission with her after her Loyalty Mission. Am I suppose to get this mission even if I'm not romancing her? No e-mail or anything.

Alo0oy

Banned
NG+ Insanity here I come.

I loved the final mission, but with the way people were hyping it up here, I thought it would be like ME2's suicide mission,
the game only adds more friendly NPCs to fight with you during the final mission from what I could tell.

I'll do priority ops only in my NG+ run and see how different the final mission would be.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Question about post-Vetra Loyalty Mission:

Heard there is a rock climbing mission with her after her Loyalty Mission. Am I suppose to get this mission even if I'm not romancing her? No e-mail or anything.

Should get it eventually. Think it was an e-mail that started it, so just keep playing until it comes up.

From watching the other romance scenes (I choose Peebee with my male Ryder), the other character bits (the one's you don't romance) mostly play out the same sans the kissing, sex etc. parts.

What exactly is the point of you having a twin sibling if
they're in a coma almost the entire time, why not have the sibling be a crew member or an actual character?
There's a reason, a very dramatically lazy reason IMO, but at least there is one.

Well, two reasons, because I think they a Lore reason to have both genders of Ryder, instead of just having it be a character creator choice.
Yup. that and it also feels like they saw the praise that games like the Witcher 3 got for its morally ambiguous quests and they thought "Hey, lets do that!"
Most of those choices in ME:A feel like they are always guaranteed to have roughly the same outcome. It doesn't matter if I save Person A or Person B if I don't particularly care about either of them and saving either one has the same impact on other characters or the larger story (barely any).

Plus I LIKED the Paragon/Renegade choices because it gave me an extra reason to play through ME1-3 multiple times. ME:A I'll only play again to do it as the opposite gender and to play the DLC, not because I want to see what the other choices will do.

Madness

I loved the final mission, but with the way people were hyping it up here, I thought it would be like ME2's suicide mission,
the game only adds more friendly NPCs to fight with you during the final mission from what I could tell.

I'll do priority ops only in my NG+ run and see how different the final mission would be.

There was only one person who said it was like the ME2 suicide mission.
the only real impact is whether Dunn dies or lives, and you need the other 3 pathfinders for that. Otherwise it is just npcs helping kill some enemies, or if you saved Krogan scouts, less behemoths near the end. The design of the last level is nice. Does get tedious near the very end where it is just again interface 3 times and fight waves and we don't even directly get to destroy the Archon.

Bisnic

Finished the game, the last mission was cool, especially the outside part.
Nice tease of the Quarian Ark. Question is, will it be kept for DLC or sequel? Seems too big of a task to make so many new Frostbite models for a DLC though.

But on the galaxy map, i'm stuck at 97% despite every stay systems being at 100%. Not sure if this just another glitch.

Alo0oy

Banned
There's a reason, a very dramatically lazy reason IMO, but at least there is one.

Well, two reasons, because I think they a Lore reason to have both genders of Ryder, instead of just having it be a character creator choice.

Yeah, I just beat the game and found that reason, a pretty shitty reason, they should have made the sibling a squadmate instead of
keeping them in coma for the whole game, just to show up at the end as a lazy plot device.

exYle

Maybe I'll have to redo the suicide mission, but I don't remember it being as amazing as everyone says it is. Moreover, what makes the final mission in MEA nice is the payoff of all the work you did, choices you made, and allies you recruited during the game.

And it's still the only ME game where all of your squadmates show up in-game to fight with you in battle.

Alo0oy

Banned
There was only one person who said it was like the ME2 suicide mission.
the only real impact is whether Dunn dies or lives, and you need the other 3 pathfinders for that. Otherwise it is just npcs helping kill some enemies, or if you saved Krogan scouts, less behemoths near the end. The design of the last level is nice. Does get tedious near the very end where it is just again interface 3 times and fight waves and we don't even directly get to destroy the Archon.

I actually liked the actual fights, it was the most fun fight in the game BY FAR,
I spec'd my squad as combo primers, so it was fun charging from place to place detonating a lot of enemies.

I wish they allowed you to direct your allies at specific objectives though, it doesn't have to be as complex as the suicide mission.

UltraMav

What? I can't speak for Sara but most of Scott's casual voice options end up being straight asshole/ douche responses. He's absolutely a dick if you want him to be.

Eh, I think of his casual responses more of being a smart-ass, than being a dick, but what I was more referring to was the inability to actually shape decisions. Even simple things like
getting asked to join Peebee in the zero g escape pod.
Your options are basically, "hell yeah be right there!" or "okay, I shall join you." Like, not even a "nope, not interested" option? The game just seems to be lacking in actual decisions while providing more options on HOW I want to respond to things, when compared to previous games.

Maybe I'll have to redo the suicide mission, but I don't remember it being as amazing as everyone says it is.

As someone who did a replay of the trilogy before ME:A came out: It absolutely is.

Top Bottom