• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

People confuse good story with great characters and interesting missions.

I think it's semantics.

it's very easy to call how well the characters are fleshed out in ME2 "story" or how rich the loyalty missions are "story."

If by "story" you mean "main plot," sure it wasn't amazing, but I think it's worth clarifying what people are referring to when they say "story."

Ooccoo

I don't care about what the reviews say i am still going to enjoy it..i did enjoy the trial so far. And MP is going to be fun also!

Your point being? Reviews are supposed to be critical. It seems you already made up your mind before even seeing any footage.

I think Mass Effect 2 had the best story in the series. There's more to stories than big events. The Loyalty missions and character arcs are the story. Yes the the collectors were fairly uninteresting but I also felt that way about the Reapers so it wasn't really a downgrade for me

One of my favorite books is The Belgariad. The main arc of the plot sucks but it is still a good story to me because it has such great characters who are partaking in an otherwise generic Quest.

Maledict

I liked the main plot for ME2. I wish it had had more missions than it did, but I enjoyed it and it made sense in the context of ME1 (even if the design of the end boss was ridiculous). The problem was Me3, which shitted everything up by having the reapers launch an all out assault anyways, thus retroactively making everything that happened in ME2 completely pointless.

The actual main mission storyline of figuring out what was going on with the human colonies, what the collectors were and who they worked for, and assembling a team to go on a suicide mission to beat them was a good plot that was well executed.

The only setup in Mass Effect 2 happens in The Arrival DLC. Everything else that happened has no purpose whatsoever in the overarching story.

I started with Mass Effect 2, so I could be wrong in this one (only had a PS3 back then)

Isn't the end about them finding out about Reapers making human based reapers and preparing to invade Earth?

Also that they enslaved the Prometheans and is planning to do same to everyone.

What was the overarching story then? Something different?

sangreal

Trying to figure out what Ryder is pouring here.

for some reason bioware seems obsessed with pushing the fact that ryder likes coffee

it comes up several times just in the limited trial

I started with Mass Effect 2, so I could be wrong in this one (only had a PS3 back then)

Isn't the end about them finding out about Reapers making human based reapers and preparing to invade Earth?

Also that they enslaved the Prometheans and is planning to do same to everyone.

What was the overarching story then? Something different?

I played ME2 again last week and this is correct. Don't think I ever played the arrival dlc

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Trying to figure out what Ryder is pouring here.

izZTnOM.jpg

Maledict

The only setup in Mass Effect 2 happens in The Arrival DLC. Everything else that happened has no purpose whatsoever in the overarching story.

Actually Arrival has zero part of the story. It's completely removable from the plot and everything happens in exactly the same way. It makes no sense at all.

ME2 story is fine in the context of ME1, but completely falls apart and becomes gibberish in Me3 when the reapers turn up anyways despite everything you did.

jtb

Banned
ME2 doesn't have a story. It exists in its own vacuum, to the point where they purposefully block you off from the rest of the galaxy from ME1. It barely connects to ME3 and completely runs counter to everything you did in ME1.

The whole Cerberus/Shepard dying shit was such a fucking slap in the face.

Whatever. ME2 was such a huge disappointment. (Jade Empire was also a huge disappointment at the time lol.... so I just stopped getting hyped for BioWare games! Fool me once, etc. etc.)

sangreal

Actually Arrival has zero part of the story. It's completely removable from the plot and everything happens in exactly the same way. It makes no sense at all.

ME2 story is fine in the context of ME1, but completely falls apart and becomes gibberish in Me3 when the reapers turn up anyways despite everything you did.

but you don't do anything to stop the reapers in ME2. It ends with harbinger leading the giant reaper invasion force towards earth. ME2 was about stopping the collectors

LordPusha

Wow, I want to like this game but some of these things just irk me out. Why the hell do all asari look like Lexi now? Still haven't met anyone with a different face other than Peebee, talk about a rush job.

The Dark Shape

Neo Member

Huh? The last shot of Mass Effect 2 is the Reapers awake and moving toward the Milky Way.

sueil

I don't think this game is very good. I would probably phrase it closer to I don't think this game is any good. I just can't give a fuck about any of the characters or the story or the quests. The writing is really god damn bad.

Bioware failed.

Why live if I can't see a naked Turian?

How do Turians kiss if they have mandibles?

Bioware messed up.

Jokes aside, they actually could have done something unique with this one, considering the challenges present in Turian anatomy. Instead we get some awkward as hell animation and a half-arsed fade to black cutscene.

wowzors

I'm really struggling on what to pick this up on, ps4 pro seems to run well and from the ea access trial i know it runs well on my PC. Im kind of hoping modders may fix the ugly character faces and animations.

I don't think this game is very good. I would probably phrase it closer to I don't think this game is any good. I just can't give a fuck about any of the characters or the story or the quests. The writing is really god damn bad.

So even if I'm a diehard Mass Effect fan I probably won't like it? Worrying to say the least.

Maledict

Huh? The last shot of Mass Effect 2 is the Reapers awake and moving toward the Milky Way.

We knew they were on their way at the end of ME1. The thing was they were in Dark Space, and didn't have a way to get into the galaxy - the collectors were their back door. There was absolutely no indication that 6 months later they would turn up.

Let's not forget, the Reapers were already *thousands* of years behind schedule - the entire Rachni war was Sovereign's attempt to backdoor the citedal because of the Prothean saboutage. The Geth were his second attempt. If the Reapers were able to just up and fly in from dark space, none of that is necessary.

There was no indication in ME1 or ME2 that we'd be heading into open warfare with the entire Reaper fleet and not instantly dying. That's not what the first two games set up expectation wise - the Reapers were gods, just one almost beat the entire citadel fleet.

The end result of the Mass Effect trilogy definitely didn't seem like it was heading to a "fight the reapers head on and win" scenario. Up until Me3, it very much felt like the Vorlons and shadows come again - an unstoppable enemy who you don't beat by fighting. But they wanted a huge, dramatic opening and setting for Me3 so had them invade right at the start and then we had to play the entire game against a backdrop of the galaxy being destroyed whilst we ran weird planet scanning fetch quests.

amoebae

Wow, I want to like this game but some of these things just irk me out. Why the hell do all asari look like Lexi now? Still haven't met anyone with a different face other than Peebee, talk about a rush job.

tbf, very few asari in the OT had unique appearances. Almost every random asari you met was a clone, with maybe some different head markings. Who looked special? Liara, Samara (I don't count Morinth because she was identical to Samara), Aria... erm... I'm struggling to think of any others.

Same goes for every other species, which in fact have even less diversity. Except the krogan, where we've seen a couple of unique characters.

sangreal

Hope posting my own stupid doodles is OK.
Its an old Star Trek joke, but I had hoped for more interesting aliens, new galaxy and all.

C7X8ydhXUAEL_tT.jpg:large

ME has more interesting aliens, they're just limited to minor side characters

in this game they literally say 'oh yeah, those guys are all coming later' lol

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
So I cancelled my Origin pre order (cam to my senses, I don't need £15 worth of skins). I still however want the game so ordered from CD Keys, you can get 10% off using code
222d5mfze
if anyone else is interested.

AW bawls with my shitty top post...

Quikies83

Alright so I've preloaded the game on Xbone but I can't wait til tomorrow sooooo EA Access.. I won't have to download the game again or anything for the trial right?
And also, does the trial include day one patch??

sangreal

Alright so I've preloaded the game on Xbone but I can't wait til tomorrow sooooo EA Access.. I won't have to download the game again or anything for the trial right?

you won't have to download anything and the patch is included. you just need a new license with will download whenever the store you bought it from unlocks

You will not have redownload the game, it does include the day one patch, but Fernando tweeted last night that new patch is set to hit today or tomorrow (post day one patch) to address things like MP Audio bug.

I'm a diehard Mass Effect fan and I like it. Does that make it less "worrying"?

Maybe so but the reviews really are on the dot about it being a mediocre experience with the characters being unlikable apparently. Characters are what make the game for me and the story. If those suck then I don't think I will enjoy it at all.

You won't have to download the game again, but you may have to restart it when the game officially unlocks so the game recognizes you're playing the full version and not the trial anymore.

Top Bottom