• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

Aspiring

Question for the start the of the game. On habitat 7 are some of the alien structures that are on the map not exploration? I can't seem to get the doors open.

Man, Green Man Gaming has the PC version for $45.59 now on sale.

With VIP deal and Voucher Code ANDROMEDA5

I told myself I was going to stay strong and wait for a better sale, but that MP is calling to me. And 25% off with no tax IS a pretty good deal. I can forgive a few more rough edges at that price, but I know better sales are coming.......decisions, decisions.

*hovers over buy button*

I've seen a lot of people complaining about the lengthy galaxy map animations, but they aren't really bothering me. I'm actually much more annoyed by the short, boring, and pointless planet descriptions. I really enjoyed reading most of them in the previous games but here they are all like two sentences without anything interesting to flesh out the setting.

Eh, can't agree. Every significant species in the series so far are traditional bipedal humanoids. Yes the Hanar and Elcor are cool but there is a reason that they have never played a major role in the series nor had a significant character. ME1 used traditional designs for the main species because it makes them more relatable so it isn't uprising that ME:A is going to take the same approach.

The idea of a different evolution patterns due to lack of 50k reset is an interesting idea though and I'm kind of wishing the game had a addressed it.

I do think its worth pointing out that (contrary to the game's name and marketing), the game is focused around a single cluster. I would not expect the same level of diversity shown throughout the Milky Way in the trilogy to be represented in just one cluster.

Yeah I can understand it from a marketing, and even from a game design (easy re-use of animations across all species) perspective. It's just a shame that being a big fan of Mass 1 for the depth involved in the science behind everything, and all that time I spent pouring over the Codex in that game to learn about the concepts of mass effect, space travel, even how medi gel works (!) this new team haven't put in the same level of background work for Andromeda. It doesn't look like any of them thought about how a galaxy without the Reapers harvesting all intelligent life every 50k years for billions of years would have evolved differently, and to me that's a glaring omission. The Reaper's defined EVERYTHING about Milky Way life - even the mass relays determining how and where civilization will spread, and the Citadel determining where it will be ruled from. So while mankind and all other Milky Way civs have only had 50k years to evolve and develop technologically, the Helius Cluster civs have had potentially billions of years. That is a huge subject to explore, and certainly not one they should just ignore.

If they're ignoring all of that in favour of simply creating an almost identical new region, with almost identical new species, just to make sure it "feels like Mass Effect" then... well imo that completely misses the science background that made Mass Effect so special and believable to me.

Jblanks

Anyone have any good Vanguard builds? After playing it in MP and loving it, I want to make one in SP. I like doing combos and like charge but I can't find a good primer to use for it.

Anyone have any good Vanguard builds? After playing it in MP and loving it, I want to make one in SP. I like doing combos and like charge but I can't find a good primer to use for it.

Charge/Nova/Annihilation

Annihilation can be set up to prime everything around you, only increase cooldowns by 20%, and heal 30% shields on kill. Combine with 75% reduced biotic charge cd and nova havingno cd but using shields. Enjoy being an aoe unstoppable nightmare

Freeman76

Hey, wait a second. The freelance reporter is an Asari, but Bioware had a contest to voice an NPC a while ago. One of the NPCs was Jordan Tate, a human male freelance reporter who had the Asari's exact lines. I remember because I recorded them so many times, haha. So, did nobody win that contest, or...?

Too many people entered, so Bioware just let them all voice a character, which is why everybody sounds like its their first try at VA work.

(lol)

In the Faroang system, there is an anomaly, "Comet Dawnstar."

The description says "This comet is rich in the empirically useful nephrite, although other elements have complicated exploration. Very bright, but a second orbit is unlikely. Best to mine it for other purposes."

This is totally a Jade Empire reference right? This game stating that JE2 is unlikely is now the most disappointing thing I've found in Andromeda.

BizzyBum

God, it's so atrocious how you interact with NPC's.

Standing still awkwardly behind them as if you're preparing to scare them, they do that terrible slow turn, and when they turn they always end up uncomfortably close to you for a second until the camera resets for the dialogue.

It's small stuff like this that irks me.

Rellik

Ha! I'm playing on hard. Just stay inside the building and kill every kett one by one. Avoid open area. Easy

He's pretty easy to dodge with the jetpack. It's pretty easy to avoid everything now actually because of that.

God, it's so atrocious how you interact with NPC's.

Standing still awkwardly behind them as if you're preparing to scare them, they do that terrible slow turn, and when they turn they always end up uncomfortably close to you for a second until the camera resets for the dialogue.

It's small stuff like this that irks me.

I'm just happy it's hold triangle to interact after DA:I where they used the jump button to interact and you'd get stuck in the falling animation all the time.

Wallach

In the Faroang system, there is an anomaly, "Comet Dawnstar."

The description says "This comet is rich in the empirically useful nephrite, although other elements have complicated exploration. Very bright, but a second orbit is unlikely. Best to mine it for other purposes."

This is totally a Jade Empire reference right? This game stating that JE2 is unlikely is now the most disappointing thing I've found in Andromeda.

Pretty clear reference yeah. Though I wouldn't say it's much of a shock. They buried Jade Empire with a quickness; it has hardly been mentioned in twelve years.

Jblanks

Charge/Nova/Annihilation

Annihilation can be set up to prime everything around you, only increase cooldowns by 20%, and heal 30% shields on kill. Combine with 75% reduced biotic charge cd and nova havingno cd but using shields. Enjoy being an aoe unstoppable nightmare

Will check it out !

I'm guessing you run it with a shotgun ?

Trace

Banned
Really been enjoying it so far, but damn if the small things don't detract from the experience. How much time would it have taken to make the defaults look decent, fix the hair and eyes, and make the conversation animation/camera not suck? The combat system is really fun.

Pretty clear reference yeah. Though I wouldn't say it's much of a shock. They buried Jade Empire with a quickness; it has hardly been mentioned in twelve years.

Yeah, I'm hardly shocked by it. It's just that in a game (that I'm enjoying btw) full of disappointing elements, this saddened me the most.

Robiin

I am so severly disappointed. Mass Effect was together with Mirror's Edge my favorite new IPs from last generation. Replayed the original Mass Effect maybe 20 times (no joke). Got all the achievements in 2 including all DLC too. The third game I admitedly only played once because the ending made me a bit mad but in hindsight the game was good, just didn't stick the landing and I was too comitted to forgive at the time.

Now we go from that, to this.

Guess I'll buy NieR instead. After I've finished Horizon and Zelda. Not like we are starving for good games at least.

Kyoufu

I am so severly disappointed. Mass Effect was together with Mirror's Edge my favorite new IPs from last generation. Replayed the original Mass Effect maybe 20 times (no joke). Got all the achievements in 2 including all DLC too. The third game I admitedly only played once because the ending made me a bit mad but in hindsight the game was good, just didn't stick the landing and I was too comitted to forgive at the time.

Now we go from that, to this.

Guess I'll buy NieR instead. After I've finished Horizon and Zelda. Not like we are starving for good games at least.

What do you not like about the game? Just curious.

I find it funny that they go out of their way to put females first in the game as if they are default, while the male lead is in every official marketing piece I've seen so far.

I don't have an issue with it of course, but they are trying way too hard, while also not trying hard enough, if that makes any sense.

Jolkien

So I just got a mission to craft a certain chest piece and I had it already but it doesnt complete the quest, and now I can only craft the second rank variant of it, do I really need to destroy and do it again ?

BizzyBum

So I just got a mission to craft a certain chest piece and I had it already but it doesnt complete the quest, and now I can only craft the second rank variant of it, do I really need to destroy and do it again ?

Probably.

This game has a lot of small glitches. I have a completed mission in the folder called "Outlaw Crafting" with no text. I assume I developed an outlaw weapon before getting some sort of quest related to it and the game just triggered that the quest was over. Best part is there's a permanent exclamation point next to it so my quest tab always looks like I have a new quest. lol

ooteeni

In Multiplayer what is the I or II after the character type when you select them.

Eg : Female Soldier I or Male Vanguard II (not the character level)

Can't work out the difference between I and II

Staf

Not a fan of the cover system. I keep having to check the icon wether i'm in cover or not. Much prefer ME2/3 sticky cover at the cost of mobility.

Jolkien

Probably.

This game has a lot of small glitches. I have a completed mission in the folder called "Outlaw Crafting" with no text. I assume I developed an outlaw weapon before getting some sort of quest related to it and the game just triggered that the quest was over. Best part is there's a permanent exclamation point next to it so my quest tab always looks like I have a new quest. lol

Well that sucks, I just deconstructed the rank 1 and I can still onyl craft rank 2... looks like this quest is now impossible to complete -_-

chur

In Multiplayer what is the I or II after the character type when you select them.

Eg : Female Soldier I or Male Vanguard II (not the character level)

Can't work out the difference between I and II
There's seven levels. Levels 1/3/5/7 give you extra armor tints/patterns. Levels 2/4/6 give you extra skill points. I think those levels each give you 4 skill points.

Shouta

Man, I spent the last 40 minutes trying to scale
the impossible cliff into the Kett command center on Voeld and almost doing it like twice. It's pretty hilarious that you can get the Nomad to do things like that

valkyre

Come on Digital Foundry, I am literally waiting for your PS4 Pro analysis to buy or not buy the game. Performance sounds iffy...

I hated Eos with the fury of a thousand suns. But I found it got much better after that. Can't promise you will feel the same way, of course, but it might be worth it to stick it out to see if you like the Nexus/Tempest stuff. Those quieter moments saved the game for me (for now anyway).

Ahh okay I'll plough through it and give it some more time after Eos in that case :)

Kyoufu

If you want to reliably farm MP Credits with your group, just avoid fighting the Kett. I find Outlaw to be the easiest race in multiplayer.

Kett Ascendants will likely wipe your group :(

Staf

"Since when do rocks float?!"

For fuck sake, you come from a universe with aliens having mind sex and you can manipulate dark energy to throw stuff. Floating rocks isn't that weird...

Did that quest on Eos last night.

Needed to craft a I, but I was already wearing a II. So I checked my blueprints, and there was a III. Crafted the III and it counted and completed the quest.

ArmGunar

Come on Digital Foundry, I am literally waiting for your PS4 Pro analysis to buy or not buy the game. Performance sounds iffy...

I play on Pro and sometimes, I have framerate drops (25fps I think) and normally I don't see those drops when I play videogames ...

And there isn't optionnal graphics settings like Horizon where you can choose Performance over Resolution ...

Bittercup

Played 24 hours so far. Probably half of it in the multiplayer. Really happy how it turned out. I was a bit worried after DAI's mp but this feels just right and like ME3 just with improved movement.
I still miss the Quarian though. They need to add them with one of the expansions.

Singleplayer is a bit of a surprise for me. None of the footage before release was especially exciting. Even though I love Mass Effect I wasn't really hyped for Andromeda. Primarily bought it for the multiplayer.
But so far I'm enjoying it a lot.
The tone in this game is really very different compared to Shepard's story. Just finished the first planet and with the debriefing and then talking with some of my crew the game somehow reminded me a lot more of Saints Row. It's way more light hearted and goofy and I love how I can just try to flirt with almost everyone on the ship and the awkward and funny reactions.
Not exactly what I expected and I can see why people might not like the writing.
Besides that the open world at least on the first planet fortunately doesn't feel bloated like DAI's hinterland so I'm ok with that and combat is really fun.
If there isn't a sudden drop in quality going forward I think I will have a great time with this game. So far I like it a lot.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
Such a missed opportunity not putting a music player in the Nomad too. They could easily have soundtracks from other bioware games available there while just driving around.

OMG, this needs to be a mod ASAP!!

Driving around with the ME:T + DA + BG soundtracks..oh and KotOR for good measure :)

I'm loving this APEX HQ phone app. I won't be able to put any serious play time into Andromeda until next week, and this app is allowing me to get in game loot in the meantime.

Doing the sidequest
Making an Impression
on Eos and
fighting the Architect quest boss.
On insanity
this is kind of dumb. It's not especially difficult, but the health bar is hilariously enormous, and after a 15 minute grind he just randomly one shot me while flying above me whiel I was pursuing him after destroying his second leg.

caesar

Banned
Can't tell if a bug is preventing me from accessing a squadmates loyalty questline.

Sid, Vectra sister. Whenever I approach her in the operations area on the nexus, there's a highlight that pops up in the top right corner where you normally have the quest objective. It's saying to talk to Sid. When I do, she greets me enthusiastically, and then Ryder just says that she'll let her get on with her work. Vectra is pretty much the only member I haven't gotten any kind of mission with yet.

I have the same bug. :/

Top Bottom