• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

CrazyDude

I chatted with Amazon support the day before the game came out about me wanting to cancel my pre-order, but they said it was too late and they would try to stop the carrier from delivering it to me. They said if it did arrive anyway that they would let me return it with paying for the return shipping. I get the game anyway and decide to keep it, and today I notice that my gift card balance is back to how much it was before and my bank was refunded. So did I end up getting a free game or is Amazon going to wise up about it?

Waxy

Is it taking awhile to find a MP match when doing custom matches with friends for everyone else? Or am I missing something when beginning the search

hbkdx12

I chatted with Amazon support the day before the game came out about me wanting to cancel my pre-order, but they said it was too late and they would try to stop the carrier from delivering it to me. They said if it did arrive anyway that they would let me return it with paying for the return shipping. I get the game anyway and decide to keep it, and today I notice that my gift card balance is back to how much it was before and my bank was refunded. So did I end up getting a free game or is Amazon going to wise up about it?

Sounds like you probably got a free game. Amazon is notoriously lenient about not going out of their way to correct those kinds of mistake

Just did the "Making an Impression" quest. Wow. What seemed like a simple go to point A, B, and C, turned out to be something more! Cool quest.

Yeah, that's one of the quests that glitched for me.
After I placed the first piece of equipment, it said that I placed both of them and put the next waypoint where you go to meet the guy, but he wasn't there.

xealo

They really screwed up music wise with this game. I wish they got Wall & Hulick back. Paesano's OST for this is extremely forgettable.

Such a missed opportunity not putting a music player in the Nomad too. They could easily have soundtracks from other bioware games available there while just driving around.

Site 2 on Eos was a pain in the ass on hard. That's normal, right? Took me like 20 attempts or more to beat it.

Had to: go straight to the Nomad (without entering) and circle around while throwing fire combos to the big monster, once he died I took the Nomad and stomped some Kett. Parked along the pool of water, stepped down and took cover on the Nomad until I killed everything.
Took me a long time to get that strategy.

Omni

Also is there a way to heal in battle? I've not worked it out yet. I know shields recharge but as for actual health... I have no idea what's happening

xealo

Also is there a way to heal in battle? I've not worked it out yet. I know shields recharge but as for actual health... I have no idea what's happening

There are health kits scattered around in many places, looks just like an ammo refill but has a red counter instead.

I don't quite get how the Nexus is layed out. First you use a tram to get to places on the Hyperion, that makes sense, but you also use the same tram to travel in the Nexus? Where exactly does the Hyperion end and the Nexus start? Or have they merged into one structure?

jryeje29

I don't quite get how the Nexus is layed out. First you use a tram to get to places on the Hyperion, that makes sense, but you also use the same tram to travel in the Nexus? Where exactly does the Hyperion end and the Nexus start? Or have they merged into one structure?

Mostly like a merge, the cryo bay to my knowledge is part of the hyperion

jryeje29

There are health kits scattered around in many places, looks just like an ammo refill but has a red counter instead.

Like 5 hours in and had no idea what those things were. There was even a point where I tried scanning and shooting at it. So embarrassing.

The Hyperion is attached to the Nexus.

The Hyperion is attached to the Nexus.

Well yeah, obviously they docked and can walk from one to the other, but it just seems like one big area now. The docking cut scene showed the Hyperion docking right at the front tip. So how exactly does the Hyperion's tram system take you to places within the Nexus?

jryeje29

I wish material didn't count toward inventory space, also I need some type of inventory. I want to try new things but not have to destroy everything plus I should not be punished for pre ordering the game by being forced to have the items take up a bunch of my slots. I get that you make one small upgrade to inventory space but it's just not enough with the way mods and material takes space.

Isak_Borg

Can someone explain to me why when you first meet the
Angara they speak an alien language then switch to English then back to an alien language? If it was Sam or the omni tool decoding they wouldn't be switching back and forth.
it's such a WTF moment and totally made me stop playing.

Anyone know where I can find
the planet in the security footage so I can bust Spender? He's the dude that did the Krogans dirty so I'm out for his head.

Early companion spoilers

jryeje29

They shouldn't allow low level players to enter Gold difficulty lobbies.

Completely agree, at least make the cut off level 10 or something, or maybe not cut them off but seriously discourage it because I shouldn't have to try a do a strike team mission on gold then be thrown in with level 1s and 3s when I'm much higher. They could even take level into consideration for matchmaking.

Meowster

Don't have all the companions yet (missing one) but I think Vetra and Drack are my favorites of the new squad. But I like the squad decently enough. I like Cora far more than I liked Ashley in the original Mass Effect. Peebee is fun. Liam is a cool dude but I don't like him yet as much as I liked Kaidan. I love how everyone just roams the ship or wonders around on the Nexus.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
I've been playing ME2 alongside this game and I'm pretty sure that the animation in Andromeda to fly from one planet to another is comparable if not shorter than manually flying my ship to a different planet in ME2. It's definitely shorter when moving between systems.

I'm really enjoying what I've played so far.

Can't tell if a bug is preventing me from accessing a squadmates loyalty questline.

Sid, Vectra sister. Whenever I approach her in the operations area on the nexus, there's a highlight that pops up in the top right corner where you normally have the quest objective. It's saying to talk to Sid. When I do, she greets me enthusiastically, and then Ryder just says that she'll let her get on with her work. Vectra is pretty much the only member I haven't gotten any kind of mission with yet.

Had the same but doesn't stop anything.
Anyone know where I can find
the planet in the security footage so I can bust Spender? He's the dude that did the Krogans dirty so I'm out for his head.

Early companion spoilers

Unlocks after Voeld

Don't have all the companions yet (missing one) but I think Vetra and Drack are my favorites of the new squad. But I like the squad decently enough. I like Cora far more than I liked Ashley in the original Mass Effect. Peebee is fun. Liam is a cool dude but I don't like him yet as much as I liked Kaidan. I love how everyone just roams the ship or wonders around on the Nexus.

Dunno but Liam is a bro for my female ryder , he earned it compared to kaidan

Well yeah, obviously they docked and can walk from one to the other, but it just seems like one big area now. The docking cut scene showed the Hyperion docking right at the front tip. So how exactly does the Hyperion's tram system take you to places within the Nexus?

Maybe they've setup the Nexus with tram system beforehand, which means that there's tram system in the arks as well. So when they're docked the tram is integrated and operational right away. They've prepared everything before going to Andromeda, and this is just one small part of all.

Can someone explain to me why when you first meet the
Angara they speak an alien language then switch to English then back to an alien language? If it was Sam or the omni tool decoding they wouldn't be switching back and forth.
it's such a WTF moment and totally made me stop playing.

if such a simple thing can make you stop playing then you're gonna have a bad time

gaf never fails to surprise me

Pretty sure they refunded you assuming you were sending the game back. I believe you have ~2 weeks to get it to them or they just charge you for it. Of course you can take the risk and just wait it out. Worst thing that will happen is you paid for what you got.

Maybe they've setup the Nexus with tram system beforehand, which means that there's tram system in the arks as well. So when they're docked the tram is integrated and operational right away. They've prepared everything before going to Andromeda, and this is just one small part of all.

That's what I want to think, but when I try to picture it in my mind, it just doesn't work. I'm gonna need diagrams or schematics or something. See this promo shot how the Arcs are docked. I don't know how a tram system works between them like what we see in the game.

fDZYb.jpg

I mean obviously it doesn't really matter in the end, I'm just interested in how it all works.

edit: unless there's a tram that just shoots its way right into the side of the Nexus, yeah maybe that works.

Still on Eos but there are no quarians so far , explored the nexus and couldnt find anyone there but the rest of the races. I know about the quarian ark issues but I was expecting to see a quarian at least on the Nexus

Makikou

He knows how to get a good drink in that's for sure. Liam's a bro, but he's getting friend zoned by my female Ryder. Don't know who I wanna romance yet. Peebee seems fun...

I probably accidentally did the first step of letting him know that i'm interested with Jaal but I hope I can backtrack because Peebee is my bae.

ruimound

Trying to decide on how to build my Ryder. I went Vanguard most often in the original trilogy and liked it, but just picked up a Black Widow I from a random chest and have enjoyed sniping. I'm thinking Infiltrator with Concussive Shot, Incinerate (over Overload purely for priming combos), and Tactical Cloak? I'm not really sure what actives to pick, or whether to run Explorer instead. Is Tactical Cloak effective in this game?

Also, are power cells shared across abilities or does each ability manage its own power cells?

I'm really sad the thread "A Compilation of Hilarious Animations" was closed down with modbot claiming it wasn't about the animations anymore (though the page before last were all NEW animation glitches).

It has helped me go from being really upset from the trial (and cancelling my pre-order last week) to almost going full circle and willing to purchase the game to enjoy newer Mass Effect and enjoy my own funny bugs and oddities. Now it's gone :(

Staf

Fuck it. Going with the default female look. It's freaking impossible to make a human in this character creator.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
28.5hrs and with 37% completion. So far the game is hovering between an 8.5 and a 9 for me. The more I play, the more I like it.

aember

The dialog between squadmates being cut off by just about anything in the game world is probably the most frustrating thing I've experienced.

I wish they made the tram like the elevators in ME1, at least then I'd get to listen to them.

Now it's a gamble of whether the conversation will be stopped midway through or will I actually get a glimpse of the final bit of subtitles.

Jolkien

Can you not tell your squad what powers to use in combat? The squad customization is non existent.

Nope. You can tell them where to move and who to attack (if you mark their targets they do more damage against them) but thats it. At least they are really fast at detonating primer.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Hey, wait a second. The freelance reporter is an Asari, but Bioware had a contest to voice an NPC a while ago. One of the NPCs was Jordan Tate, a human male freelance reporter who had the Asari's exact lines. I remember because I recorded them so many times, haha. So, did nobody win that contest, or...?

Hey, wait a second. The freelance reporter is an Asari, but Bioware had a contest to voice an NPC a while ago. One of the NPCs was Jordan Tate, a human male freelance reporter who had the Asari's exact lines. I remember because I recorded them so many times, haha. So, did nobody win that contest, or...?

They never specified what gender are Jordan Tate and the mercenary supposed to be. Presumably they just decided to make the reporter character an Asari afterwards. We do have the winners:

http://blog.bioware.com/2016/12/22/explorers-wanted-contest-winners/

mikemandey

Site 2 on Eos was a pain in the ass on hard. That's normal, right? Took me like 20 attempts or more to beat it.

Had to: go straight to the Nomad (without entering) and circle around while throwing fire combos to the big monster, once he died I took the Nomad and stomped some Kett. Parked along the pool of water, stepped down and took cover on the Nomad until I killed everything.
Took me a long time to get that strategy.

Ha! I'm playing on hard. Just stay inside the building and kill every kett one by one. Avoid open area. Easy

cripterion

Don't think so, they dress themselves.

As in they use the same weapons and wear the same thing through the whole game? lol.

I was bitching about Eos but ice planet Voeld or something is even worse. The writing is absolutely awful in the game by the way, it is sometimes so bad that it gets a laugh out of you though.

Top Bottom