• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

Weebos

Banned
Played a few more hours yesterday and I am enjoying the game more. I like Vetra a lot, she is a bit different from what I expected.

The game looks pretty bad on PS4, there seems to be a lot of lower resolution textures on characters, most noticeable on Turians and Krogan.

I haven't hit those areas myself, but I believe so. I think it's supposed to drop off as you do other story quests to get you to come back. The last thing I did in Eos is a Kett base northwest of Podromos, which was fun, but the checkpoints there are fucked; I died at the end and loaded halfway through so I had to redo that portion all over again. Just hop off planet and go to the next planets, they're cooler anyway.

The game tells you to go once you've reached that point. I strongly suggest everyone to do just that. It's worth popping back in later due to some quests regarding your squadmates.
Game will tell you when it's safe to go back and exploring.

Thanks! I guess I'll just keep movin on through the main story then and come back when the time is right.

Tovarisc

These two screenshots are split second apart. Take that effect and then put it to playback at very high frequency. Good epilepsy test.
masseffectandromeda_2ynueq.png
masseffectandromeda_2cuu8p.png
Had long encounter in that room while screen kept flickering like crazy, eyes got tad sore towards the end :D

Zesh

Are you complaining about dying to boss encounter that you don't fully understand yet as you haven't seen all phases or got too bold? I mean sure you can, but more "git gud" thing than game being broken. For me that fight is best that game has offered this far, from design to challenge.

The fight absolutely is an unnecessarily long grind on Insanity. It's extremely repetitive, as you just end up dodging the same 3 attacks over and over as you chip away at its exorbitant health. And if you do mess up and get caught by the turret, you instantly die, wasting 15+ minutes of time.

I've found the large enemy bases much more fun, even though they also suffer from the same issue of potentially losing a lot of progress if you die, because the game's checkpoint system is abysmal.

Edit: I was curious if either of you managed to find the Eos architect's weak spot on its second and third legs, btw. I could reliably and easily crit the first leg, but the ones after that, the second in particular, were much harder.
Didn't even realize there were weak spots, lol. I just stay in cover and shoot my abilities on CD.
These two screenshots are split second apart. Take that effect and then put it to playback at very high frequency. Good epilepsy test.

Had long encounter in that room while screen kept flickering like crazy, eyes got tad sore towards the end :D
sounds rough, didn't have that effect when I did the mission.

X-Frame

You found game randomly spawning 5-6 enemies right on top of you from thin air and instantly killing you (on Insanity) more fun encounter design than boss encounter you can tightly control? WTF...

This has happened to me a bunch of times. Just literally appearing next to me out of thin air. It's incredibly frustrating.

Rellik

I'm not sure I could go back to the trilogy now I've got used to the jetpack and dodging. It was a little rough for me at first because of the framerate on that tutorial section, but it's really clicking now.

Is there a quick way to swap between profile favorites that I just can't find? Going into the main menu is way too much of a hassle, I just stick with my main vanguard style of Pull/Charge/Whatever

How many skill points do I get to play around with? Could I conceivably learn and master most skills, or do I have to be careful with my build?

There is a soft level cap at
level 123
where you will have maxed out at every skill. Otherwise there is no level cap. I believe gear caps out at level 10 (X)

When you bring up the weapon wheel there's an option for favourites as well.

I never use my weapon wheel since I only use shotgun + pistol. Thanks!!

They are not jumping between one part of galaxy to another, the entire game is set in one single cluster which makes up for a really small portion of the galaxy. Even in past games you never needed mass relays to travel within the cluster.

ok thanks for clearing that up, I did not know you were in one area only (for now)

Is there a quick way to swap between profile favorites that I just can't find? Going into the main menu is way too much of a hassle, I just stick with my main vanguard style of Pull/Charge/Whatever
When you bring up the weapon wheel there's an option for favourites as well.

Problem with profiles is that you're incentivivised to put all your skill points into passives. I'm now putting skill points into combat as a pure adept to improve my weapon damage and loadout. I had my 3 abilities maxed for like 15 lvls already.

Someone please tell me with a simple yes or no, will I eventually have a way to make the Nomad go faster? Because going up a hill, even in "low gear" mode or whatever it's called, and the thing feels like it's moving 10 miles an hour. Like barely crawling over the top of this hill, using every bit of power it has.

Who (in the Mass Effect universe) designed such a shitty form of transportation? Like why would they make it so weak?

And why have it be able to jump if it seems to be able to jump no higher than a human? It doesn't seem like it will ever be able to jump high enough to get anywhere meaningful.

I'm early in the game so I have to assume these are all things you can upgrade...

X-Frame

Is anyone running an Infiltrator or Engineer build? What skills are you using?

I am not really sure where I am going right now and may respec -- I wanted a Shotgun Infiltrator and put a lot of points into Cloak, Shotguns (Combat Tree), and Combat Mastery (Combat Tree).

nOoblet16

I am not really sure where I am going right now and may respec -- I wanted a Shotgun Infiltrator and put a lot of points into Cloak, Shotguns (Combat Tree), and Combat Mastery (Combat Tree).

Cloak is a must, the Overload and the third one varies depending on situation.

Anyone else playing on a 5.1 system?

My sub is doing work like i have not heard with the exception of maybe Horizon and Battlefield 4 when stuff blows up.

Every time i zoom from planet to planet there is this really, really deep bass. I thought it was neat.

I'm running Infiltrator with cloak, assault turret and lance. i prefer to engage from range though so i've spec'd into sniper rifles and haven't put much into combat mastery yet.

hollomat

Banned
How do I access the pathfinder rewards from the Apex HQ app in the game?

I figured it would be in inventory, but that's not the case.

Edit: From looking online, it's in the strike team console on the nexus.

Asari Sword effectively gives you a 2nd dodge. Fooled around with a bunch of weapons and while I like the damage from the kett weapon and cryo combo from the remnant gauntlet, it doesn't come close to the atari teleport.

jdstorm

Banned
Someone please tell me with a simple yes or no, will I eventually have a way to make the Nomad go faster? Because going up a hill, even in "low gear" mode or whatever it's called, and the thing feels like it's moving 10 miles an hour. Like barely crawling over the top of this hill, using every bit of power it has.

Who (in the Mass Effect universe) designed such a shitty form of transportation? Like why would they make it so weak?

And why have it be able to jump if it seems to be able to jump no higher than a human? It doesn't seem like it will ever be able to jump high enough to get anywhere meaningful.

I'm early in the game so I have to assume these are all things you can upgrade...

Speculation: The Nomad goes at the speed it does because thats the fastest the game can load those wide open spaces. They probably wanted it to go faster but something went wrong with their tech

Roussow

Considering I'm already 7 hours in and have just got out of the Eos Vault, I think I'm going to skip the majority of side quests. I don't even mind hitting up all of the galaxy map stuff, some of it is quite gorgeous, the scale of it all is crazy impressive, even if 50% of the camera transitions are kind fucked up.
Between the main sorry, galaxy map stuff, scanning the environments, and talking to my crew between missions, I'll have my hands full. I'll stop to do the equivalent of loyalty missions, assuming they open up in to you similarly to in Mass Effect 2. I felt the same about Horizon's side missions just seems like unnecessary fluff so far, a lot of running around for little payoff, especially when there seems like there's better optional stuff out there.

Someone please tell me with a simple yes or no,...

Yes you do get upgrades, but unfortunately you'll be around done with the second planet like I was when I got them. Thankfully it goes from crappy to pretty good in just one upgrade to each mode + boost. There's more upgrades there you can get but I didn't bother with them.

Considering I'm already 7 hours in and have just got out of the Eos Vault, I think I'm going to skip the majority of side quests. I don't even mind hitting up all of the galaxy map stuff, some of it is quite gorgeous, the scale of it all is crazy impressive, even if 50% of the camera transitions are kind fucked up.....

Scanning so far seems pretty useless. There aren't even good little mini-stories on the planets like there were in the trilogy. They look great and that's about it.

As far as sidequests go, anything in the "Tasks" section gets ignored unless I happen to bump into it. They seem mostly like a waste of time. I've gotten some interesting stuff though that wasn't companion related however.

Tacitus_

Asari Sword effectively gives you a 2nd dodge. Fooled around with a bunch of weapons and while I like the damage from the kett weapon and cryo combo from the remnant gauntlet, it doesn't come close to the atari teleport.

It's nice, but the blink can fail to path to the target which is annoying. I'm thinking of going back to the krogan hammer, but it's so slow..

nOoblet16

I'm 32 hours in and this has quickly become one of my favourite games I've played this gen. I must say that I disliked Dragon Age Inquisition, primarily because I was stuck in the Hinterlands which was hard to navigate had shit quests and I generally couldn't differentiate between main missions and others...I may give that game a chance some other day but the quest structure and story behind those quests are much better here than in Inquisition. Andromeda had a shitty start too but the sci fi aspect and the curiosity once I got to the first vault made me go through it but once i was past that phase I really started enjoying the game. It's doing exactly what the first Mass Effect did for me but something that the sequels lacked (despite how great ME2 was) and that is feeling lost while at the same time feeling like I am in a real sci fi world. Even the story is doing it's job for me here as I like that I don't have ant sense of urgency here to save the world (which many would think is a negative, but I like it as I can take my time to explore while not feeling like I am ignoring something urgent..which is a problem I see in a lot of games). I'm loving the combat, the visuals and especially playing at 60FPS is a treat !! I finally feel like a biotic God and the game conveys that to me well.

The biggest disappointment for me is the lack of music, they could have had planet/area/city themes, they could have had a music player in the Nomad (one character even comments on it infact).

Also some gameplay annoyances, the enemies have no fall damage. So you could literally throw them hurling towards the sky and the initial damage they get from the throw is all they receive. They can then fall 200 feet and still be alive which is just weird. I also miss the headshots from ME3 (and ME2?) where sniper rifle headshots on humanoid enemies would decapitate their heads.

Anyone else playing on a 5.1 system?

My sub is doing work like i have not heard with the exception of maybe Horizon and Battlefield 4 when stuff blows up.

Every time i zoom from planet to planet there is this really, really deep bass. I thought it was neat.

I'm running Infiltrator with cloak, assault turret and lance. i prefer to engage from range though so i've spec'd into sniper rifles and haven't put much into combat mastery yet.

Agreed, sound is very nice in this game

So guys give it to me straight. As a huge fan of the original trilogy who thinks ME3s ending was redeemed from the Citadel and Extended cut DLC.

Is Andromeda worth me getting at full price? Or should I just use The Witcher 3 (Havent touched any of the DLC still doing main quest) to tide me over until Persona V.

I'm really, REALLY liking the cast / squadmates in this game. They don't stand out as much as the previous games...but they feel more real and grounded.

It's loving it so far. EOS was fun, although the life support mechanic is frustrating. I hate limitations and time constraints during my exploration.

nOoblet16

I'm really, REALLY liking the cast / squadmates in this game. They don't stand out as much as the previous games...but they feel more real and grounded.

It's loving it so far. EOS was fun, although the life support mechanic is frustrating. I hate limitations and time constraints during my exploration.

Don't you love it when they are just walking around the ship and hubs having conversations with others and doing stuff they normally are interested in (visiting bars, going to museum etc)

tomhan

I replayed the original trilogy near the end of last year and although I've only played about 6 hours so far Andromeda so far I am really enjoying being back in the Mass Effect universe.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
So I've put about 10 hours into the PS Pro version. I'm still on the first planet, and I've unlocked
all three monoliths and am now in the underground mission area

I enjoyed previous Mass Effects enough, it isn't my favorite series but I've played and liked the previous 3. I hadn't read anything about the game in the years up to release knowing I'd be buying it and didn't want any spoilers. The only thing I knew going in was it was a buggy disaster with horrible animations, but some people still kind of liked it.

The animations and facial modeling are indeed awful. However, I always thought Mass Effect's facial tech was wonky especially with certain aliens. The fact that they actually regressed on this front is pretty crazy.

The writing as well is pretty bad, but it isn't nearly as bad as something like Ratchet and Clank or Wildlands. It's sub par but not insulting... it gets the job done.

Other than that, I'm really liking the game so far, more than the previous three. Finally the game feels like the exploration game I always imagined Mass Effect would be. I had no idea this one was an open world game, and was pleasantly surprised once the first planet opened up. I really like exploring all the various outposts/wrecks/anomalies as I'm scooting around in my truck.

Combat at first felt pretty bad (playing on hard). I felt underpowered and the whole affair seemed just janky. Once I hit the open world all of that changed. Scouting an area, parking your truck by some rocks to create cover then assaulting is a great loop. Also, after crafting some new guns and giving myself a combo-able power really opened things up.

However, holy crap is the input lag bad. I think it's actually worse than Rise of the Tomb Raider on the Xbox. The combat will never achieve it's potential because of this, and almost every time I'm aiming I'm overshooting the the target with my reticule. Does this input lag exist on the other platforms?

So yeah, I'm finding the ambition of a true open world sci-fi epic surpasses the lack of polish. I can't wait to get back to it.

Tovarisc

So guys give it to me straight. As a huge fan of the original trilogy who thinks ME3s ending was redeemed from the Citadel and Extended cut DLC.

Is Andromeda worth me getting at full price? Or should I just use The Witcher 3 (Havent touched any of the DLC still doing main quest) to tide me over until Persona V.

I loved ME 2 and thought 1 and 3 to be okay. I'm 50h into MEA and I'm loving it. That said TW3's DLC / Expansions are insane value and quality so... which ever feels more inviting now?

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member

I loved ME3, even the ending. I'm having a good, but not great time, so far with ME:A--about 12 hours in.

The Witcher 3 DLC is the best part of the game and some of the best gaming ever IMO, so I'd prioritize that.

Persona just depends on how much you like that series. I thought P4G was good, but I'm not a big fan of the setting and Anime style etc. so I'm not sure I'll play 5 at all. If you're more into it then I'd go for it as it's clear a great installment where as ME:A is definitely not up to the quality of the first 3 games. ME:A is also more likely to get cheap quicker.

For Engineer I'm sticking with Overload, Shield Drain, and Assault Turret for now. Overload acting as both a primer and a detonator makes it too damn good, Shield Drain increases my survivability significantly, and Assault Turret... Well, Assault Turret isn't so great yet, but I'm keeping it for now so I don't lose out on the tech construct bonuses in the profile.

Funny that the tech tree is the most broken.
It's nice, but the blink can fail to path to the target which is annoying. I'm thinking of going back to the krogan hammer, but it's so slow..
Oh yeah it's a bit wonky but Krogan hammer is too slow and the kett Sword doesn't hit anything at all. Cryo gauntlet is probably the strongest for priming opponents.

obeast

I think you will find stuff to like. I'm about 12 hours in or so, and my enjoyment has been steadily increasing. The game feels a little out of date in some ways, especially in the conversation animation and portions of the writing. It reminds me a lot of ME1 and (especially) KOTOR, often in not particularly good ways (awkward faces, intermittently awkward writing, some cheapo quests, some long dialogue trees delivered without appropriate camera direction and character animation).

But I like the exploration theme, a lot. I even like the long animations you get when traveling between planets - because you never "cut" when you transition from planet to planet and system to system, Andromeda seems viscerally real in a way that the Milky Way never did in previous entries. And since I have a high tolerance for jank in my space opera narratives, I've had little problem getting into the game.

That said, TW3 is a far better game, and its DLC is really on a whole 'nother plane of quality. You should definitely wrap that up at some point.

Phew.. 12 hours in, Andromeda has been quite overwhelming for me so far, in a good way.

I've been spoiled with how the gameplay loop designed in the trilogy, where I get to rest and chat with the crew after each mission. But in Andromeda, it's me who decide when I should take a break from completing missions and go back to my ship. Everyone always has new stuff to say and story to tell. There's also gear optimization which has been taking a lot of my time, I like it. Now that I've already used to gameplay loop, I'm totally having a blast with Andromeda and I can see myself playing this for a very long time.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Christ, performance on PS4 Pro in the first area is abysmal, does it get better down the line?

That area was the worst by far for me so far. I'm the still early though, but nothing has been that bad on EOS, the Nexus or Aya as it was on Habitat 7.

Top Bottom