• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

Remember my post 7 hours ago about me loving those first 5 hours ..?

How foolish i was.

I don't understand.
- why the camera during some conversation just FAILS to follow the character
-Why the lip sync is a complete joke ... and it's a shame because the dialog itself is not that bad but the game fails to sell it to me , when there is a proper conversation
-Why some quests just ends ( you're the one sabotaging the station ! Yeah ? so what ! * ends * )
-The radar needs work . I've fought some confusing firefights. i need a way to properly asses the ennemy position. could you help me , SAM ?
-Is Eos ,the new hinterlands ? Should i move on ASAP and avoid a burnout ?

i Like :
-The lack of big load times between parts of the nexus
-The game is good loking but they failed on most of the faces.
-The Audio .. so far they did a good job with the sounds.

hbkdx12

Wow

First time in my entire life that I've ever ran into a game breaking bug.

I can't progress the "stage a rescue" mission which is a priority op.

Did a search and There's other people sounding off about this so it's not all that isolated. The only fix is to reload a save before the mission. I don't think I have a save that goes that far back but even if I did that'd be easily 3-4 hrs lost

Fuck that

Zabka

The animation in this game is such a shame. Spent a decent amount of time making a good looking pair of Ryders then I get in game and she looks like a bug-eyed crazy person.

Psoelberg

Question (which might be a spoiler for some):

Are there any cities/hubs outside the Nexus? If yes, how many and how does they feel?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Question (which might be a spoiler for some):

Are there any cities/hubs outside the Nexus? If yes, how many and how does they feel?

Based on my own experience, yes, (only done first major planet so far) more like a settlement/colony when you finish up all the story events on a planet, you end up establishing an outpost where you can get more side missions.

Dany

Banned
The angara hub looks ugly. Like, the color and texture on it all looks straight from the original Xbox. If you told me this was something from Kotor then id believe you.

I never knew something could look Colorful and lifeless at the same time.

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
5 or so hours in I'd say now. Sure there's some jank but for the most part the game has me hooked and I can't wait to explore more of this universe. Music is amazing and they nailed the mass effect aesthetic.

Now, can some one tell me why the rendered cutscenes look like utter and total shit running at the lowest of resolutions with blocky artifacts everywhere like it's 1995? Why are we still having to suffer with this? Why do they always run so bad? Can someone please figure this out and fix it so our eyes no longer have to be punished?

Morzak

Man Eos really feels like busy work outside of a few quests. There are . a lot of stuff that is place x stuff or pick x stuff up. I probably leave some of that stuff behind, else I will burn out already.

The Framing of conversation is really bad most of the time. The UI gets on my nerves more and more. and The galaxy map with the Planet transitions is just bad.

Played some Multiplayer and had fun, as long as the host connection was good. Both Adept and Vanguard were fun to play but I don't really like shockwave for the Adept. The difficulty on bonze is fine in my opinion as soon as you have a few levels in the character. But Vanguard on low level is pretty rough.

Isotropy

Okay, what the actual fuck.

Normally when people criticise a character creator, I disregard it and assume they're just not patient enough to make a good face.

But this takes the cake - 9 presets, ALL of them completely disgusting, and you have almost no options to move beyond them.

HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?!

Dragon Age Inquistion - same engine, same tech - had a great character creator! At least much better than this. Shouldn't Andromeda just have lifted the DAI creator wholesale and added some improvements? This actually makes no sense!

I actually can't play this game until they fix the character creator.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I *HOPE* to god they patch the option to skip the slow transitions from planet to planet. Who the hell thought it would be a good idea to force players to watch 15~ second zooms from planet to planet.

nOoblet16

The angara hub looks ugly. Like, the color and texture on it all looks straight from the original Xbox. If you told me this was something from Kotor then id believe you.

I never knew something could look Colorful and lifeless at the same time.
This doesn't make sense, it looks great for me here, especially colourful and lively because of how populated it is.

nOoblet16

Okay, what the actual fuck.

Normally when people criticise a character creator, I disregard it and assume they're just not patient enough to make a good face.

But this takes the cake - 9 presets, ALL of them completely disgusting, and you have almost no options to move beyond them.

HOW DID THIS HAPPEN?!

Dragon Age Inquistion - same engine, same tech - had a great character creator! At least much better than this. Shouldn't Andromeda just have lifted the DAI creator wholesale and added some improvements? This actually makes no sense!

I actually can't play this game until they fix the character creator.
The first preset for Fem Ryder is actually great.

I think the biggest problem with character creator is that the camera in character creator is very oddly placed, it's not directly in front of the face but rather a but above making everything look odd, unnatural and flat. But if you turn the face to the side you'll start seeing that they look much better.

nOoblet16

Question, how do you jump between regions without there being any mass relays? How do they explain this?
They are not jumping between one part of galaxy to another, the entire game is set in one single cluster which makes up for a really small portion of the galaxy. Even in past games you never needed mass relays to travel within the cluster.

Isotropy

The first preset for Fem Ryder is actually great.

I think the biggest problem with character creator is that the camera in character creator is very oddly placed, it's not directly in front of the face but rather a but above making everything look odd, unnatural and flat. But if you turn the face to the side you'll start seeing that they look much better.

Do you mean premade Ryder that we can't customise at all? He's okay, but I don't want to use him. All the presets we can actually customise are encephalitic trainwrecks.

And it's not the camera - it's the fact that 75% of the options from the DAI creator have been completely removed, and what little remains has been simplified to the point where you can only take a preset and jiggle around the edges a little.

nOoblet16

Do you mean premade Ryder that we can't customise at all? He's okay, but I don't want to use him. All the presets we can actually customise are encephalitic trainwrecks.

And it's not the camera - it's the fact that 75% of the options from the DAI creator have been completely removed, and what little remains has been simplified to the point where you can only take a preset and jiggle around the edges a little.
No Preset 1 for custom Female Ryder. The Asian one, she actually looks great.

It is down to the camera quite a bit honestly, a lot of weird faces become rather normal when I you turn the face to the side.

Remember my post 7 hours ago about me loving those first 5 hours ..?

How foolish i was.

I don't understand.
- why the camera during some conversation just FAILS to follow the character
-Why the lip sync is a complete joke ... and it's a shame because the dialog itself is not that bad but the game fails to sell it to me , when there is a proper conversation
-Why some quests just ends ( you're the one sabotaging the station ! Yeah ? so what ! * ends * )
-The radar needs work . I've fought some confusing firefights. i need a way to properly asses the ennemy position. could you help me , SAM ?
-Is Eos ,the new hinterlands ? Should i move on ASAP and avoid a burnout ?

i Like :
-The lack of big load times between parts of the nexus
-The game is good loking but they failed on most of the faces.
-The Audio .. so far they did a good job with the sounds.

Eos is absolutely the new hinterlands. Once you finish the main quest, don't come back until later. I went back and did a few things, but then left again because it felt like I could spend a lot longer there and I wanted to see the rest of the game and I'm glad I did. That said, I think I could go back some time soon if I could hit 100% viability...I left Eos when I had it up to about 92% and missing those other 8% is going to grate on me, I just know it.

Freeman76

I cannot believe a new game in one of my all time favourite franchises is out today and im not buying it yet because it has so many issues. Bioware you upset me.

Question about inventory space...

So you can't just have a big chache of wepaons in this game? There's no way to store guns and just pull them out? I filled up my inventory last night(I even have the upgrade to 65) and I was surprised that weapons, mods, and even armor counted against your total space.

It doesn't seem like there's anyway to keep various sets of stuff you like because of limited space?

edit: is there a storage perhaps? I have some good weapons that I am not using right now but I might use later. I would hate to just sell them and loose them forever.

Isotropy

No Preset 1 for custom Female Ryder. The Asian one, she actually looks great.

It is down to the camera quite a bit honestly, a lot of weird faces become rather normal when I you turn the face to the side.

Ah ok, I'm only looking at Male Ryder.

And, again, no. It's not the damn camera. Like everyone else here, I've been using character creators for years. I know how to rotate the camera. It's that you HAVE NO OPTIONS. Try DAI, you'll see what I mean...

chogidogs

Got to wave 6 on multiplayer when the host left. Guess what? Start from the beginning! Then got to wave 5 in a game right after when the game crashes.

I'm trying to like you, game. But you're making it hard!

:mad:

This game is brand new and it releases today in the EU (I think), can't believe the thread slipped off the front page....

Anyway,

That feeling you get when you want to sink in a few more hours into the game but your wife took over the TV to watch The Andy Griffin Show.

Would've been great if a Switch version exists then I Wouldn't have that problem. Oh well, more Zelda will do me good.

Snagret

Depressing considering how much EA makes, especially with the micro transactions.
It's really disappointing they didn't invest in dedicated servers. Seems like it would've been worth their while considering the financial legs on microtransactions and how much more invested players would be willing to get if the game was more consistent from lag standpoint. Big shame.

Tovarisc

Doing the sidequest
Making an Impression
on Eos and
fighting the Architect quest boss.
On insanity
this is kind of dumb. It's not especially difficult, but the health bar is hilariously enormous, and after a 15 minute grind he just randomly one shot me while flying above me whiel I was pursuing him after destroying his second leg.

Are you complaining about dying to boss encounter that you don't fully understand yet as you haven't seen all phases or got too bold? I mean sure you can, but more "git gud" thing than game being broken. For me that fight is best that game has offered this far, from design to challenge.

Madness

Can't tell if a bug is preventing me from accessing a squadmates loyalty questline.

Sid, Vectra sister. Whenever I approach her in the operations area on the nexus, there's a highlight that pops up in the top right corner where you normally have the quest objective. It's saying to talk to Sid. When I do, she greets me enthusiastically, and then Ryder just says that she'll let her get on with her work. Vectra is pretty much the only member I haven't gotten any kind of mission with yet.

Same issue. Maybe it is why I also cannot do the loyalty mission.

It's not EAs servers, as it's a peer to peer game. Means the problem was with the host player in your game.

Is it still P2P in single player though? I got dc'd two or three times last night in SP where it just randomly pops up that you've been dc'd from servers and online functionality (strike teams) is disabled.

Are you complaining about dying to boss encounter that you don't fully understand yet you haven't seen all phases? I mean sure you can, but more "git gud" thing than game being broken. For me that fight is best that game has offered this far, from design to challenge.
Really, the design is hardly complex, I'd rate any vault over it. Any Remnant Destroyer alone is more interesting imo.
Shoot Legs > Shoot Remnant > Shoot Legs repeat until you can shoot the head repeat until dead. The architect has a grand total of 3 attacks, 1 of which sometimes leaves an AoE effect behind.
Same issue. Maybe it is why I also cannot do the loyalty mission.
You only get Vetra's side mission after doing all the story stuff on Voeld.

Tovarisc

Really, the design is hardly complex, I'd rate any vault over it. Any Remnant Destroyer alone is more interesting imo.
Shoot Legs > Shoot Remnant > Shoot Legs repeat until you can shoot the head repeat until dead. The architect has a grand total of 3 attacks, 1 of which sometimes leaves an AoE effect behind.

I didn't say it's complex, just that it's best game has offered in ~50h of playtime. Remnant Destroyed is even simpler, shoot turrets off => nuke torso until dead.

Eos is absolutely the new hinterlands. Once you finish the main quest, don't come back until later. I went back and did a few things, but then left again because it felt like I could spend a lot longer there and I wanted to see the rest of the game and I'm glad I did. That said, I think I could go back some time soon if I could hit 100% viability...I left Eos when I had it up to about 92% and missing those other 8% is going to grate on me, I just know it.

maybe light spoilery question about later Eos stuff

I'm at ~70% viability now. did like one side quest after finishing the vault and starting up the colony there. There seem to be areas I can't get to because the radiation spikes to level 3. Is that something that goes away as i progress more in the main story, or is there something i need to do to make that go down? it seems like it's walling me off from some areas where quests are...

Are you complaining about dying to boss encounter that you don't fully understand yet as you haven't seen all phases or got too bold? I mean sure you can, but more "git gud" thing than game being broken. For me that fight is best that game has offered this far, from design to challenge.

I'm complaining about being one shot with no warning 10 minutes into what is for the most part a grindingly dull and repititious encounter. Essentially, I was under him when he decided to set up in his final location, but I didn't realize we'd already got where we were going to. fwiw I found the attack on the Kett shield station similarly challenging and much more fun.

I didn't say it's complex, just that it's best game has offered in ~50h of playtime. Remnant Destroyed is even simpler, shoot turrets off => nuke torso until dead.
The difference is Destroyers can shoot through cover, move and shooting the turrets off actually has an effect. Architects are pure bullet sponges, there's no thrill to the fights.

I'm at ~70% viability now. did like one side quest after finishing the vault and starting up the colony there. There seem to be areas I can't get to because the radiation spikes to level 3. Is that something that goes away as i progress more in the main story, or is there something i need to do to make that go down? it seems like it's walling me off from some areas where quests are...

I haven't hit those areas myself, but I believe so. I think it's supposed to drop off as you do other story quests to get you to come back. The last thing I did in Eos is a Kett base northwest of Podromos, which was fun, but the checkpoints there are fucked; I died at the end and loaded halfway through so I had to redo that portion all over again. Just hop off planet and go to the next planets, they're cooler anyway.

Anoxida

The game tells you to go once you've reached that point. I strongly suggest everyone to do just that. It's worth popping back in later due to some quests regarding your squadmates.
Game will tell you when it's safe to go back and exploring.

Eos is kinda the game's low point imo. Only gets better from there. I think it's a very healthy approach not to overstay your welcome on any of the planets though. Finnish up the main quest and the big SQ, establish and move on and come back later. Need to switch things up regulary unless you love doing the mindless grinding hours on end.

Tovarisc

I'm complaining about being one shot with no warning 10 minutes into what is for the most part a grindingly dull and repititious encounter. Essentially, I was under him when he decided to set up in his final location, but I didn't realize we'd already got where we were going to. fwiw I found the attack on the Kett shield station similarly challenging and much more fun.

You found game randomly spawning 5-6 enemies right on top of you from thin air and instantly killing you (on Insanity) more fun encounter design than boss encounter you can tightly control? WTF...

You found game randomly spawning 5-6 enemies right on top of you from thin air and instantly killing you (on Insanity) more fun encounter design than boss encounter you can tightly control? WTF...

yeah that mission could have been great but was so buggy it's garbage. The boss also is capable of teleporting on you and oneshotting you.

Tovarisc

yeah that mission could have been great but was so buggy it's garbage. The boss also is capable of teleporting on you and oneshotting you.

I have done 2 large Kett bases now and second was like that too. Enter the room and out of thin air 5-6 enemies materialize into said room. Quickly learned to peek into room or floor fast and back out instantly, trigger spawning while (maybe) staying alive yourself.

Edit: Also if I had epilepsy I would have gotten seizure in last encounter room. Something in flame effects going on caused screen flicker between blank white and back in rapid speed.

I have done 2 large Kett bases now and second was like that too. Enter the room and out of thin air 5-6 enemies materialize into said room. Quickly learned to peek into room or floor fast and back out instantly, trigger spawning while (maybe) staying alive yourself.

The one on Voeld I cheesed after trying three times and dying on the 4th or so in your face spawning phase every time. Since they spawn based on your location you can just jump on the buildings then enter from above to skip the spawn points completely.

-NeoTB1-

I'm up to almost 10 hours played. If anything, I'm enjoying the game even more now. It's strange... this game strikes a good balance between its numerous shortcomings and genuine fun factor. No "game-breaking" bugs to report yet, but I'm making sure to keep several save files just in case.

The visibly spawning enemies was annoying, but the encounter forced a mix of aggression and care. Also I don't think I ever got 5-6 enemies spawning at a time on top of me. In my proximity, maybe though? It seemed like for the most part it just respawned when they killed.

I guess I find the kett more interesting to fight than the leg weak spot on a massive robot? go figure.

Edit: I was curious if either of you managed to find the Eos architect's weak spot on its second and third legs, btw. I could reliably and easily crit the first leg, but the ones after that, the second in particular, were much harder.

Top Bottom