• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

Jinroh

I played a few hours and the game is much better than I thought it would be.

But damn Addison is attrocious. It's like her lines come straight out of Google translate. She makes no sense.

I'm disappointed that so far there isn't an option to hurl Addison out the nearest airlock.

I'm pissed that she's actually one of the key characters in Andromeda. I thought she's just a random side quest NPC. Everything about her is jarringly bad compared to other NPCs.

Tovarisc

So is there any point, need nor reason to swap profiles?

I'm playing on Insanity as Infiltrator and 50h in. Not once I have found myself wanting to swap profiles in any moment. Even used same 3 active abilities without interest nor need to swap. Now found skill that would be nice 4th, but not something I want use so bad I would swap anything for it.

I think you will find stuff to like. I'm about 12 hours in or so, and my enjoyment has been steadily increasing. The game feels a little out of date in some ways, especially in the conversation animation and portions of the writing. It reminds me a lot of ME1 and (especially) KOTOR, often in not particularly good ways (awkward faces, intermittently awkward writing, some cheapo quests, some long dialogue trees delivered without appropriate camera direction and character animation).

Someone said in another thread that this game is like the lost sequel to Mass Effect 1 in an alternate dimension where Mass Effect 2 never turned the series into a linear cover shooter. The more I play Andromeda, the more I agree with that. It's both a good and bad thing...

I'm playing on Insanity as Infiltrator and 50h in. Not once I have found myself wanting to swap profiles in any moment. Even used same 3 active abilities without interest nor need to swap. Now found skill that would be nice 4th, but not something I want use so bad I would swap anything for it.

Once you maxed out all the passives and there's nothing else to skill.

Zesh

Does all passives of all three main trees apply to all profiles all the time? If they do that is kinda... must have thing to level up then. I have done nothing with Biotics because focus on getting Infiltrator shit as high as it goes.

Yes, they do.

Well, the point of profiles is to see what your fighting and change your tactics right before engaging for the stronger bonuses even if it means having a template that is a mirror of another with just one different ability. At a certain point, you have to be ability point rich and diversifying into another tree can refresh the combat 50 hours in.

B-Dex

So all the encounters are designed to punish you for dying by sending you back to some arbitrary point before the encounter even started.

However fall off a cliff into a bottomless pit and you're instantly back at the edge with no penalty......

Quality game design.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Is there an option for PS4 Pro to choose Performance over Resolution in settings, like Horizon ?

I don't find anything

Nope. Not yet. Hopefully it will get added as they talked about a 1080p mode that's currently not in the game.

Does all passives of all three main trees apply to all profiles all the time? If they do that is kinda... must have thing to level up then. I have done nothing with Biotics because focus on getting Infiltrator shit as high as it goes.

yep, maxed biotics and tech and now I get shielded on low health from biotics and regen health from using tech abilities. Tech abilities also reduce my currently active CDs.
With Energy Drain I'm practically unkillable at this point, barring getting oneshot.

This way you really shouldn't expand your ability pool but just put all of it into passive once you found a kit that works.

Tovarisc

Well, the point of profiles is to see what your fighting and change your tactics right before engaging for the stronger bonuses even if it means having a template that is a mirror of another with just one different ability. At a certain point, you have to be ability point rich and diversifying into another tree can refresh the combat 50 hours in.

But... I just spot largest threat before engaging, then cloak and blow its head off with Mark 5 Black Widow. After that it's just clean up. So efficient and powerful way to clean house.

Maybe I dabble in profile stuff once I get bored of min maxing my Infiltrator's effectiveness.

P.S. Try bodyshotting lighter enemies with Black Widow as they are e.g. vaulting over something, sends them flying hardcore :D

Zesh

But... I just spot largest threat before engaging, then cloak and blow its head off with Mark 5 Black Widow. After that it's just clean up. So efficient and powerful way to clean house.

Maybe I dabble in profile stuff once I get bored of min maxing my Infiltrator's effectiveness.

P.S. Try bodyshotting lighter enemies with Black Widow as they are e.g. vaulting over something, sends them flying hardcore :D

Is 5 the highest weapon rank?

Maybesew

Question on Multiplayer: Are any of the match types quicker than others? My one "complaint" if you could call it that is how long a full round/match takes. It seems about 2/3 minutes per wave, and there are 10 waves iirc.

Ducayne

Maybe I'm misremembering. Did ME3 multiplayer swarm you with Enemies like this on Bronze?

I've noticed this too-- I always felt like the enemies in ME3 would always spawn generally in an area on the other side of the map, you could start to pick them off, etc. In this MP they come at you from ALL angles and quickly, too. There's been a few instances where they flanked us HARD in Bronze mode.

Bombless

Question on Multiplayer: Are any of the match types quicker than others? My one "complaint" if you could call it that is how long a full round/match takes. It seems about 2/3 minutes per wave, and there are 10 waves iirc.

Seven waves. 10 was in ME3.

Maybe I'm misremembering. Did ME3 multiplayer swarm you with Enemies like this on Bronze?

Bronze in MEA is harder. I kinda like it, though it can hurt sometimes.

Maledict

It's only 7 waves now, they cut waves 8 and 9, so I think matches are a bit shorter.

Re enemy numbers - no, ME3 didn't throw this many enemies at you. It was an engine limitation that restricted the numbers that could on a map at any one time, which added a layer of strategy and depth to the game because you could control how and when things spawn. The new game doesn't have that restriction it seems (or if it does, the number is much higher) because it can and will utterly swarm you on bronze.

It definitely feels like there's more, but I'd have to go in and count to be sure.

I like it, tbh. They should make the spawns placement a little less punishing, but other than that I'm really enjoying the tweaks.

Akai__

Broke the 100k Gamerscore when I met the Angara. Perfect fit, if you ask me.

Also, god damn this game is beautiful. Arrived on Planet Havarl and I'm really loving the art style. Everything in general is just so colorful and good looking in this game.

I have only played mass effect 1 and I forget if it had any but the more I play the more it is odd that there are no "Skills"/"Stats" like most RPGS. Like there is no Science or or Charisma that will help you in different situations/conversations or hacking/lockpicking that will hide something behind a door that you need high skill to access.

I still love the game but it feels more like an action game, with minimal RPG elements.

Anyone sucessfully using pure Biotics? I am almost 100% biotics, using the adept profile and I cant rely even 50% on just skills. The skills dont do enough damage but more importantly the cooldowns are still way to long. I have 30 seconds where I am waiting and shotgunning after using Shockwave and Lance...where did I go wrong.

Matush

Wow, can't believe MEA have the same loot exploit that was in DAI. Bioware gonna Bioware.

Also finally landed on Nexus, liking the game so far.

X-Frame

This is my current plan. I want to find 3 abilities to stick with for almost all situations, and then put the rest of my points into Passive's from all the trees for all those juicy passive bonuses. If anything, any additional Favorites will be me keeping the same 3 abilities and just swapping Profiles for the hell of it, if I feel I need it.

For you, something like putting points into Sniper Rifles in the Combat Tree plus the Combat passives would help you even more.

Anyone sucessfully using pure Biotics? I am almost 100% biotics, using the adept profile and I cant rely even 50% on just skills. The skills dont do enough damage but more importantly the cooldowns are still way to long. I have 30 seconds where I am waiting and shotgunning after using Shockwave and Lance...where did I go wrong.
What's your weapon weight situation look like?

Nekrono

I just got to the snow planet, damn this game is massive! Vistas and graphics continue to amaze me, the sense of scale as well.

I'm starting to get the hang of the profile system, at the beginning I felt it was not intuitive (actually I still think it's not) but after a while I started looking at it just the way you did in the OT when you paused time and survey the are and figure out what you needed to do and how to best use your powers. I wish each profile was mapped to the D-Pad and that you could save a specific weapon with it though.

And speaking of combat, I'm playing on hardcore and even though there are no restrictions as to which abilities to unlock I think it's best to stick to a few and then start spending points across multiple passives in each tree, hardcore difficulty can be brutal and it's more about survival than having multiple skills.

Also, the inventory system in this game needs a rework, you can't have a game with gear and crafting with no storage box or something. I want to collect multiple sets of armor but I can't because of the item cap and no freaking storage to put it while I'm out on the field.

Some of the banter between Liam and Jaal are hilarious. Love the party commentary.

I just picked up Jaal last night, and he is hilarious in general. That first conversation where Ryder is using idioms and he isn't tracking is super funny. Also when neither can figure out if the other is being sarcastic.

I'll gladly drag him along for the rest of my time in andromeda

RS4-

There was a lot of cheese in ME3 MP, chokepoints which were too easy to abuse; so it only got hard in maybe two waves, extraction to some extent, and if you got the devices or assassination ones late in the game.

Lot more movement involved in MEA so far, the bigger maps, "limited" ammo crates in the wave, and enemies spawning in more areas.

I think it says 40% (that is with just a shotgun and 2 mods)

I could go with no weapons but I would just be sitting waiting for skills to use and that seems boring.

Try equipping only 1 pistol (for taking out shields). Your weapon weight is what's causing the long cooldowns.
Basically this. Your cooldowns are nearly half again what they ought to be. Powers-focused profiles are always gonna be better off running light and lean. I'd recommend a single shot pistol and an SMG, with an eye towards keeping your weight in the green.

You need to focus on biotic combos if you're running a power heavy biotic build. Keep your cooldown at 100% (ditch that shotgun for a pistol/smg), and equip skills that work well together. My personal skill setup is pull, singularity, and throw which is pretty effective against everything since singularity can prime shielded targets as well.

I am pure biotic all the way. Make sure that you use a weapon that gives you 100% cooldown. I stick to pistols like the Scorpion. Then always have your Anhinilation field up. Once your AF paints an enemy you can hit them with a biotic combo with throw or lance. Get your AF leveled up as quick as possible since there is a higher level perk that refills your shields when ever AF kills an enemy. That will allow you to run up into a group of enemies without dying so fast. Also your melee attack does well against enemies that are in the range of your AF, so use it when your skills are in cooldown.

Man. The way the game changes the screen colours for life support going down and shields going down is so jarring. Just a straight change, no dimming at all.

foxdvd

So I am level 12 in single player doing an insanity run. Call me crazy but I am having a blast. This is game of the year quality for me so far...

Some problems though

MP matchmaking when you are trying to play with friends is broken.

I have two glitched trophies for story missions already...and there does not seem to be any way to fix them.

Why in the hell does inventory you are not using, weapons and the such, take up inventory space on your person? Really?

Top Bottom