• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

KingParappa

Neo Member
I think the lack of a big crew makes things more intimate. Everyone on board gets to be more fleshed out because of it. Plus the Tempest is an exploratory vessel, and is made to be run by a smaller crew. Having SAM along probably helps with a lot of automation as well.

What gets me is your personal quarters. That shit is bigger than my actual apartment, and seems a little gratuitous... but it IS pretty baller. I'm not gonna complain.

Also what the fuck is up with Liam's couch. It is hilarious... and where the hell did it come from? The greatest mystery of Andromeda.

I saw the message on the board and laughed then walked around the ship and saw him with it and nearly died.

Kagutaba

I tried Annihilation field for a bit, but I didn't like the impact it had on cooldowns, even maxed out. I'm running Charge/Pull/Overload right now, and I like it quite a lot. Though I guess that technically makes me some kind of... Sentinel? Pull->detonate with Overload or charge, Overload->detonate with charge, lots of control, lots of stuns and explosions, some options against shields, lots of fun. That said, the itch to try a new combination is coming. The freedom to 'build your own class' is probably one of my favorite things about the game.

Try using Annihilation upgraded for shields returned on enemy killed inside the field, along with Lance upgraded to use shields without a cooldown, then upgrade Barrier (I think) for even more shields returned on kill. This way you can detonate enemies inside the field every second or so and still have barriers left when you are done.

Laekon

Do your health and shields not increase as you level? My health and specifically shields are lower then all my party members. My shield strength is under 300 at lvl 13. Seems really odd. It's also a pain since all enemies seem to target me more then anything else.

Do your health and shields not increase as you level? My health and specifically shields are lower then all my party members. My shield strength is under 300 at lvl 13. Seems really odd. It's also a pain since all enemies seem to target me more then anything else.

You have to put points into the category that increases health and shields.

painey

I have put in just over 6 hours and 'beat' Eos and I'm kinda sad. It reminds me of dating a new person after you broke up with someone, and you are doing the same kinda things.. like going to the same restaurant you used to go to.. and while it's still ok, everything just feels like it was better before. It could just be genre burnout, and Mass Effect has always been 'Go do mission -> go back to ship and talk to people -> go do mission' but it never has felt so obvious until this version. And of course, the dead animation and awful lip sync mean i'm just reading the subtitles more than watching the conversations.

Iceman829

If you're on I'm down for taking another stab at it. Really want to chunk through the MP till I get my damn Carnifex finally. I popped some boxes last night and it was filled to the brim with... sniper rifles. Nothing but sniper rifles.

I'm on most nights and my friend plays late like me as well. I'll keep an eye out for you. I know you were playing sp so I didn't interrupt you. You can also always jump in the xbl party / message if you want in. Right now we are feeling out some characters and testing some guns. It will be nice to move onto silver missions soon enough. I'll keep an eye out later for you

ironcreed

Banned
This may not be the popular opinion, but let's just say that Horizon did not last very long as my favorite game of 2017 so far. It's far prettier and more polished, but here is the rub... I am having more fun with Andromeda.

Tacitus_

Uh, what's up with my shotgun. I augmented it to shoot lasers while building it since a laser shotgun sounded awesome, but it hits like a wet noodle. It should do 930 damage per shot, almost double of my sword, but my sword hits for double of the shotgun.

UberLevi

About 30 hours in so far. I'm on
Kadara
doing the mission
Hunting the Archon
. Considering taking a break from the critical path to get some side stuff in, but wanted to know from people ahead of me how close I am in terms of progression. I haven't completed any loyalty missions or found any
arks
yet.

Jyrii

Banned
The game really reminds me of ME1 of how slowly it starts. Not feeling the combat at all, it doesn't have any of the tightness ME2 had. The weapons are also too weak, at least in the beginning.

Voice acting is ok, but not winning any awards. Lip sync is pretty awful.

I don't understand why Bioware (and Bethesda) want to force family relations in their games. I really really don't connect with these strangers that are supposed to be your family at all.

But I just got to the Exodus for the first time and it starts to feel like a Mass Effect game at last.

I have put in just over 6 hours and 'beat' Eos and I'm kinda sad. It reminds me of dating a new person after you broke up with someone, and you are doing the same kinda things.. like going to the same restaurant you used to go to.. and while it's still ok, everything just feels like it was better before. It could just be genre burnout, and Mass Effect has always been 'Go do mission -> go back to ship and talk to people -> go do mission' but it never has felt so obvious until this version. And of course, the dead animation and awful lip sync mean i'm just reading the subtitles more than watching the conversations.

Wow. This is actually a great analogy of how I think I feel.

Uh, what's up with my shotgun. I augmented it to shoot lasers while building it since a laser shotgun sounded awesome, but it hits like a wet noodle. It should do 930 damage per shot, almost double of my sword, but my sword hits for double of the shotgun.
I'm having a tough time figuring out damage numbers I crafted an inferno sniper rifle and added charging plasma and electricity to it and it does no damage at all. Crafted another one with no changing augmentations and gonna see how good it is.

Am I mistaken or Kinetic Coil the single best augmentation?

ironcreed

Banned
How far in are you?

Probably about a good 12 hours. It's just Mass Effect and firmly has it's hooks in me in the same way the old games did. Having a squad, traveling the stars, uncovering mysteries, exploring planets, fighting for a cause and trying to prove yourself. All of that is just more substantial in terms of fun for me.

The
Asari
Ark mission was splendid. Vistas, story, locale are great only the boss encounters are still quite bad but in regards to missions Andromeda might be the best in the series.

This may not be the popular opinion, but let's just say that Horizon did not last very long as my favorite game of 2017 so far. It's far prettier and more polished, but here is the rub... I am having more fun with Andromeda.

Yea I was real high on it as well, proclaiming it not only my favorite game of 2017 but of all-time after TLOU and UC2. But I'm actually way more engrossed in Nier and Andromeda than I ever was with Horizon...so strange.

Laekon

You have to put points into the category that increases health and shields.

At lvl 13 I got 1 point in team support and 4 in combat fitness so I have been. My stats are still lower then all my crew.

Ryder 543 health 291 shield
Cora 672 health 700 shield
Drack 644 health 588 shield

Probably about a good 12 hours. It's just Mass Effect and firmly has it's hooks in me in the same way the old games did. Having a squad, traveling the stars, uncovering mysteries, exploring planets, fighting for a cause and trying to prove yourself. All of that is just more substantial in terms of fun for me.

Interesting. I just finished Horizon and adored it. and ME2 is likely my favorite game of all time, for all the reasons you just mentioned above.

Oddly though, As I play more (I just picked up Jaal, as an idea for how far in i am), it just makes me very nostalgic for those older games. Enough has been written that I don't need to add to about ME:A characters being "re-skinned" from 1-3 that i mostly agree with, but yet, I'm still with you. I think even a "bad" (or whatever) ME game, is still an ME game, and there just isn't anything else out there doing sci fi like it.

I was blown away by Horizon though; it does so many things so well, and has what seems like fresher, newer gameplay mechanics. ME:A seems like a tps. a really good one, that's hands down the best the formula has been, but still a tps.

I like it plenty so far, for the same reasons you do I think, but Horizon just struck me in a way no game has in quite some time.

I'm hoping I'll love ME:A even more as i keep playing through.

I'm barely five to six hours into the game but am I going to ever replace Cora and Vetra as companions (not counting loyalty missions of course)? Because I don't see how I would want to. Afro guy looks uninteresting but mostly I left him behind Vetra because he was always the first to die.
I know that there are at least three other characters, I've just met Peebe and no, won't be my first choice ever. That leaves the most horrible alien I have ever seen (not met him yet) and the new Krogan who could have a chance... maybe.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Is there a way to pause and give orders during combat? I seem to remember being able to do this in previous Mass Effects. I think it would pause combat when selecting/holding a power button down?

I'm barely five to six hours into the game but am I going to ever replace Cora and Vetra as companions (not counting loyalty missions of course)? Because I don't see how I would want to. Afro guy looks uninteresting but mostly I left him behind Vetra because he was always the first to die.
I know that there are at least three other characters, I've just met Peebe and no, won't be my first choice ever. That leaves the most horrible alien I have ever seen (not met him yet) and the new Krogan who could have a chance... maybe.

I've loved "the most horrible alien you've ever seen" in my very brief time with him. He's really entertaining.

Also, I bring Drack, probably mostly because I miss Grunt =/

ironcreed

Banned
Interesting. I just finished Horizon and adored it. and ME2 is likely my favorite game of all time, for all the reasons you just mentioned above.

Oddly though, As I play more (I just picked up Jaal, as an idea for how far in i am), it just makes me very nostalgic for those older games. Enough has been written that I don't need to add to about ME:A characters being "re-skinned" from 1-3 that i mostly agree with, but yet, I'm still with you. I think even a "bad" (or whatever) ME game, is still an ME game, and there just isn't anything else out there doing sci fi like it.

I was blown away by Horizon though; it does so many things so well, and has what seems like fresher, newer gameplay mechanics. ME:A seems like a tps. a really good one, that's hands down the best the formula has been, but still a tps.

I like it plenty so far, for the same reasons you do I think, but Horizon just struck me in a way no game has in quite some time.

I'm hoping I'll love ME:A even more as i keep playing through.

Don't get me wrong, I still love Horizon to death and think Aloy is one of the best characters to come around in a long time. Mass Effect just does more for me on the whole with the formula I listed and will be far more replayable for those reasons as well. But that's just me.

The game really reminds me of ME1 of how slowly it starts. Not feeling the combat at all, it doesn't have any of the tightness ME2 had. The weapons are also too weak, at least in the beginning.

Yeah, this is definitely true. The openings in ME games were always ones that tried to introduce you to the world and giving you some mysteries to uncover as the game went on, but the stakes were so much higher in 2 and 3 that trying to come back down from "shit's fucked yo" to "oh, this is interesting. this is intriguing. I wonder where they're going with this?" is a big step down in terms of short term investment into the game. IMO I don't think this is bad, necessarily, it just doesn't have the same kind of extreme tension off the bat that the other ME games went for (and arguably hit or missed, depending).

And the combat is one of those things, I noticed, that has always been a sticking point in the early game throughout the series. Until you unlock more and better powers, and until you get something more interesting than the starter pistol and the starter assault rifle, the combat in ME:A has sucked as bad as the combat in the beginning of every ME game has sucked.

chaislip3

Just dropping in to say that Jaal is one of my favorite Mass Effect squadmates.

I was driving in the Nomad with him and Cora, and they had a conversation about her biotics.

He asked if it hurt when she used biotics. She said that when she uses her full strength, it feels like a really powerful sneeze. Jaal asked what a sneeze was.

The Nomad banter is pretty great in general from what I've seen.

Lime

Is there a way to pause and give orders during combat? I seem to remember being able to do this in previous Mass Effects. I think it would pause combat when selecting/holding a power button down?

They 'removed' that feature for this game (my guess: they didn't have time to implement it like so many other features in the game)

Just dropping in to say that Jaal is one of my favorite Mass Effect squadmates.

I was driving in the Nomad with him and Cora, and they had a conversation about her biotics.

He asked if it hurt when she used biotics. She said that when she uses her full strength, it feels like a really powerful sneeze. Jaal asked what a sneeze was.

The Nomad banter is pretty great in general from what I've seen.

This is exactly why I love Jaal. I'm excited for the rest of the story with him alongside.

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member

I'm in the same boat, Horizon is beautiful and a great story, but I'm just enjoying Andromeda more.

I'm 38 hours into ME:A, spent 45 hours (that I really loved) with Horizon and awesome Aloy.

hydruxo

I enjoyed Horizon far more personally, and I'm a longtime ME fan. I'm enjoying Andromeda, but the side quests aren't really doing anything for me. In Horizon I sought after every quest and piece of content I could find because I was just having such a blast. I put in 65 hours into Horizon + platinumed + 100% completion and I still wanted to play more.

RAIDEN1

I think this is the first time where a game I was looking forward to getting, I'm now holding out on till there is a stability patch! As some have mentioned about completing some side quests but the game not recognising that you have done so!

There should be a time-frame as to when these will be sorted, instead the patch released doesn't even address half the issues that need looking at!

TheRed

I haven't played Horizon but I feel the same about this game. Absolutely loving it about 16 hours in and I'm hesitant to say before I finish it but it might end up being my favorite ME game. I really like ME1 and ME2 was really great but took the series in a different direction than I personally was looking for after the first. ME:A brings exactly what I wanted which was a lot more exploration that is good and it's improved combat is a lot of fun, so far the overall story is interesting too because of it not being such an urgent save the world scenario.

I got Nier: Automata at the same time and while that game has been great I've been drawn to playing Andromeda a lot more. Going between the two has been gaming bliss though.

So I chose my first Viability perk and it was the one that said it locates caches near those Pods you place. I went to my next planet and I did not notice anything different. What is this perk supposed to do? Do the caches show up on my map? Do they glow?

Jocund

One thing I appreciate about this game is the sense of real companionship with the Tempest crew. As good as the old games were, none of the party members, except for maybe in 3, interacted with each other outside of missions. They each stayed in their corners of the ship until Shepard came to talk.

It's something I really noticed in my recent replay of Mass Effect 2. As large and as great as that cast is, absolutely none of them (except Miranda/Jack and Tali/Legion in maybe two instances) talk to one another. They don't pal around, send emails, anything. You can ask Jack what she thinks of Thane or Samara, but you can never actually see that worked out in the narrative.

hydruxo

One thing I appreciate about this game is the sense of real companionship with the Tempest crew. As good as the old games were, none of the party members, except for maybe in 3, interacted with each other outside of missions. They each stayed in their corners of the ship until Shepard came to talk.

It's something I really noticed in my recent replay of Mass Effect 2. As large and as great as that cast is, absolutely none of them (except Miranda/Jack and Tali/Legion in maybe two instances) talk to one another. They don't pal around, send emails, anything. You can ask Jack what she thinks of Thane or Samara, but you can never actually see that worked out in the narrative.

I think that is also a result of the lighthearted nature of this game too though. Original trilogy was a mad dash to stop the Reapers, so the crew was more focused. In ME:A, they're more laid back because they're just exploring the galaxy looking for new habitats to colonize. At least, that's my interpretation of it.

Jinroh

"A new ship, a new galaxy. I can't wait to get them both a little dirty".

Seriously, we could write a book about this game's writing.

I really wish favourites was more incentivized. The cooldown incurred by favourite swapping is punishing enough that I barely ever swap between my two existing favourites schemes, and have zero motivation to build additional ones.

Meowster

Who are your favorite party members for combat? I'm still trying to decide who my go to group is but I've been shuffling around, trying to find out who I like best. I'm thinking about Vetra and Jaal.

Who are your favorite party members for combat? I'm still trying to decide who my go to group is but I've been shuffling around, trying to find out who I like best. I'm thinking about Vetra and Jaal.

Krogan guy appears to be really good. I put all his skills into melee and his melee move and he is doing lots of damage and not dying. I am trying Jaal now too as I just got him we will see.

I've loved "the most horrible alien you've ever seen" in my very brief time with him. He's really entertaining.

Also, I bring Drack, probably mostly because I miss Grunt =/

Ok, couldn't have long sessions of gaming yet due to work but I have a three days weekend starting tomorrow so, time to shine.

Top Bottom