• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm trying to find the best 3 skills to use with a vanguard.

Obviously there is Charge, and I was using Pull & Throw for the last 2, but I'm sligthly tempted to change Throw by Annihilation Field. Since I'm often in melee range, surely it'll work better than Throw? And I can keep Pull+Charge for doing combos on distant enemies.

I'm liking the ability to just go crazy with your character build. I'm usually a pure Engineer guy, but now I'm starting to spec into Infiltrator type stuff, and experiment with interesting combinations.

Really good time.

caesar

Banned
Why does the tempest have no crew? In me2 and 3 the normandy had a lot of extra crew to kinda add to the atmosphere. Feels a bit empty.

So all the encounters are designed to punish you for dying by sending you back to some arbitrary point before the encounter even started.

However fall off a cliff into a bottomless pit and you're instantly back at the edge with no penalty......

Quality game design.

Right?! The wave spawning in single player during some firefights is terrible, too. I remember clearing out a camp of enemies, then SAM telling me there were reinforcements coming. Sure enough half a dozen enemies literally spawn around Ryder as if beamed in a la Star Trek. LOL. No warning, no cover to get behind in time. Slaughtered​. And this is on Hard difficulty. Sure enough I had to start the whole firefight again from "Wave 1"... After my third attempt, said reinforcements actually came from a designated path in the distance rather than just teleporting in. Pretty sure that's how it was supposed to happen the first time around. Lol

Enjoying my time with the game, but the combat encounters can be trash at times. Ugh. It's a love and hate relationship.

cripterion

Did this game intended for companion weapon and armor customization at one point?

Why would they mention in the rare fusion mod description that it's only for Ryder? I mean we can't even equip them with different weapons and armor so stands for reason that they can't use mods lol.

Zesh

Obviously there is Charge, and I was using Pull & Throw for the last 2, but I'm sligthly tempted to change Throw by Annihilation Field. Since I'm often in melee range, surely it'll work better than Throw? And I can keep Pull+Charge for doing combos on distant enemies.

I think most people are running Charge/Nova/Annihilation. I've also experimented a bit with Energy Drain, which has been useful.

So I am level 12 in single player doing an insanity run. Call me crazy but I am having a blast. This is game of the year quality for me so far...

Some problems though

MP matchmaking when you are trying to play with friends is broken.

I have two glitched trophies for story missions already...and there does not seem to be any way to fix them.

Why in the hell does inventory you are not using, weapons and the such, take up inventory space on your person? Really?

Had the same problem with the matchmaking. It is kinda irritating. If you don't have a full group of friends it refuses to populate the party with randoms.

Stoffinator

Drack is a beast, best companion for combat by far.

Yeah. Most of the time he has wiped out most of the enemies before I even take out one.

And what is it with the grunting you and your followers make? Like take a two inch drop and they all grunt like they jumped off a ten foot cliff.

Why does the tempest have no crew? In me2 and 3 the normandy had a lot of extra crew to kinda add to the atmosphere. Feels a bit empty.

I agree, I actually kinda enjoyed the little conversations the no-name crew had within the other games and made you feel like you were in charge of a large group of people on a mission. Only having the essential members on the ship just makes it feel lifeless.

nOoblet16

I agree, I actually kinda enjoyed the little conversations the no-name crew had within the other games and made you feel like you were in charge of a large group of people on a mission. Only having the essential members on the ship just makes it feel lifeless.

It is anything but lifeless, if you are to talk of atmosphere the people in Normandy including your squadmates just stood at a place and did nothing except 1-2 lines, the crew here is always moving around the entire ship and talking to others...it adds more to atmosphere than just random no name crew to fill space. There's also the fact that unlike the Normandy you can actually see the planets and what's outside the ship, which adds to the atmosphere as well.

Story wise the reasoning is that The Tempest is a smaller non military ship, staff are a luxary and it doesn't really require additional personnel. You have the squad, a doctor, a pilot, an engineer and a science officer. That's more than enough.

I think the lack of a big crew makes things more intimate. Everyone on board gets to be more fleshed out because of it. Plus the Tempest is an exploratory vessel, and is made to be run by a smaller crew. Having SAM along probably helps with a lot of automation as well.

What gets me is your personal quarters. That shit is bigger than my actual apartment, and seems a little gratuitous... but it IS pretty baller. I'm not gonna complain.

Also what the fuck is up with Liam's couch. It is hilarious... and where the hell did it come from? The greatest mystery of Andromeda.

Ducayne

Does anyone know if you can perform the three relationships achievement in one playthrough? Two one night stands and the a committed relationship?

nOoblet16

I think the lack of a big crew makes things more intimate. Everyone on board gets to be more fleshed out because of it. Plus the Tempest is an exploratory vessel, and is made to be run by a smaller crew. Having SAM along probably helps with a lot of automation as well.

What gets me is your personal quarters. That shit is bigger than my actual apartment, and seems a little gratuitous... but it IS pretty baller. I'm not gonna complain.

Also what the fuck is up with Liam's couch. It is hilarious... and where the hell did it come from? The greatest mystery of Andromeda.

He said he brought it with him from Milky Way since everyone was allocated a bit of luggage space, and that it was "new" when they left (but obviously it's 600 years old now).

Cenozos

Neo Member
Drack is a beast, best companion for combat by far.

What difficulty are you playing on? I'm playing on Hardcore and Drack seems to charge in and get annihilated by just about anything. I love the character but I can't really keep him alive for more than 10 seconds at a time.

Ridesh

Banned
What difficulty are you playing on? I'm playing on Hardcore and Drack seems to charge in and get annihilated by just about anything. I love the character but I can't really keep him alive for more than 10 seconds at a time.
On hard, he does the most damage and don't die more than the rest.

nOoblet16

I've got 3 more missions remaining it seems in the main campaign, but I've been holding them out for a while and doing other stuff.

UncleMeat

Anybody else not able to upgrade their deluxe ed. dlc weapons? In the development menu it says project level III but when you select craft it crafts level 1. Sucks because I like a couple of the weapons and of course the fact that I paid extra for them adds a little extra salt.

I tried Annihilation field for a bit, but I didn't like the impact it had on cooldowns, even maxed out. I'm running Charge/Pull/Overload right now, and I like it quite a lot. Though I guess that technically makes me some kind of... Sentinel? Pull->detonate with Overload or charge, Overload->detonate with charge, lots of control, lots of stuns and explosions, some options against shields, lots of fun. That said, the itch to try a new combination is coming. The freedom to 'build your own class' is probably one of my favorite things about the game.

Doodis

Really, really stupid question here. How do you quickly switch between profiles in combat? Do you have to pause the game, scroll over to your profile screen, and switch there? Or is there a more streamlined way? Playing on Xbox One. Sorry for being so dumb.

foxdvd

Really, really stupid question here. How do you quickly switch between profiles in combat? Do you have to pause the game, scroll over to your profile screen, and switch there? Or is there a more streamlined way? Playing on Xbox One. Sorry for being so dumb.

I am on the ps4..but you bring up the weapon wheel and then hit a button to switch to a screen that shows all 4 profiles.

Ducayne

I'd like to know too?

If you have to dive into the menu (and the skill cooldown resets) it doesn't feel as intuitive to use in the heat of battle.

Eos is absolutely the new hinterlands. Once you finish the main quest, don't come back until later. I went back and did a few things, but then left again because it felt like I could spend a lot longer there and I wanted to see the rest of the game and I'm glad I did. That said, I think I could go back some time soon if I could hit 100% viability...I left Eos when I had it up to about 92% and missing those other 8% is going to grate on me, I just know it.

All the hinterlands signs were there. I guess i'll quickly move on and come back to finish it later

Stiler

Anyone else getting fps drops during cutscenes when the camera angle changes? I get a solid 60 fps (have vsync on, tried it with off as well) and the fps drops to the 40's when it does this.

It happens whenever the cutscene switches angles or even when I open a menu and then close it.

Driving me nuts.

Iceman829

Had the same problem with the matchmaking. It is kinda irritating. If you don't have a full group of friends it refuses to populate the party with randoms.

After our failed attempt at matchmaking last night I tried again later with my friend and this basically sums up how you can play multiplayer:

1 player - Good to go queue up quick match
2 players - You are so fucked you will never find anyone
3 players - Matchmaking will fill in your lobby quickly
4 players - No need for matchmaking enjoy playing with your friends

Thankfully I found an extra man on this thread looking to play or we would've never left the no mans land of 2 players in a public lobby.

If anyone is on xbox and is interested in playing mp. Feel free to add me - Iceman829

It's awesome. Can't relate to the negativity surrounding this game at all. I'm having a blast with the campaign as well as the multiplayer.
I can definitely relate and I imagine most enjoying the game can. There's a gem buried under some very, very rough edges.

Game is buggy and just looks bad at times It can be tedious for no reason and is uninspiring in terms of plot.

Enclose

Anyone else getting fps drops during cutscenes when the camera angle changes? I get a solid 60 fps (have vsync on, tried it with off as well) and the fps drops to the 40's when it does this.

It happens whenever the cutscene switches angles or even when I open a menu and then close it.

Driving me nuts.

everyone has this problem, some more people including me reported this in the performance thread aswell

About multiplayer the game will not fill your party if you host as a solo player I've waited upwards of 15 minutes before and never gotten anyone.

nOoblet16

Driving me nuts.

Yea it happens to me too, it's something to do with the lighting and shading, it shouldn't be that bad though and it has to be a bug or something. Because for instance the performance always drops when the camera is facing Suvi who is usually lit by some bright light source like a sun but it's odd because her face and character model itself is the least detailed out of all main cast. That makes me think it's more of a performance issue than anything else.

Rellik

How can you make a game with a bunch of armors and only 2 combinations of casual oufits? Makes no sense at all

Same reason you got stuck in pyjamas in DA:I.

They eventually released more later. I can't remember if it was patched for free or DLC though.

Grisby

maybe light spoilery question about later Eos stuff

I'm at ~70% viability now. did like one side quest after finishing the vault and starting up the colony there. There seem to be areas I can't get to because the radiation spikes to level 3. Is that something that goes away as i progress more in the main story, or is there something i need to do to make that go down? it seems like it's walling me off from some areas where quests are...
I was wondering about this as well. Can't seem to explore any extra areas even though I got an
email from the mayor guy asking me to come back. I did and he just says, 'hey they're waiting for you on the Nexus!"
Guess I'll have to move on also.

The Dark Shape

Neo Member
I finished the story last night.

Level 40 Ryder
Playtime: 38 hours, 19 minutes
Completion: 71%

It's definitely the weakest story of the four games, but it was fun, and BioWare clearly learned the negative and positive lessons of both Mass Effect 3 and the Citadel DLC.

After our failed attempt at matchmaking last night I tried again later with my friend and this basically sums up how you can play multiplayer:

1 player - Good to go queue up quick match
2 players - You are so fucked you will never find anyone
3 players - Matchmaking will fill in your lobby quickly
4 players - No need for matchmaking enjoy playing with your friends

Thankfully I found an extra man on this thread looking to play or we would've never left the no mans land of 2 players in a public lobby.

If anyone is on xbox and is interested in playing mp. Feel free to add me - Iceman829

If you're on I'm down for taking another stab at it. Really want to chunk through the MP till I get my damn Carnifex finally. I popped some boxes last night and it was filled to the brim with... sniper rifles. Nothing but sniper rifles.

Omadahl

Banned
Anyone else having rubber-banding and lag issues in MP? I know that hosting solves some problems but it's at the point where I can't use a sniper rifle because people just disappear.

Top Bottom