• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

nOoblet16

Soooo.... Drack & Jaal or Drack & Peebee?

Just for banter mind you. Which one would be the best? Do people you romance have anything unique to say outside of the Tempest?

Both Jaal and Drack are top for banter, they'll usually fit in with anyone. Although Drack is slightly more solo banter than Jaal who is better at banter with your other squad mate.

BizzyBum

There's an App? Holy shit I did not know this was a thing. Downloading now!

Same here, just tried it out. It sucks for strike team missions because it doesn't give you the success rate % chance for the mission unless I missed it somehow.

So what's everyone favorite crafted creation so far?

First thing I built was the Black Widow I (Infiltrator here). Big step up from the Viper I that I started with.

Have to see if I have the stuff for II yet. I was oddly surprised, as it seems like it's one of the top tier sniper rifles in the game, and I'm not super far in yet....

nOoblet16

They didn't know that (IIRC). They marveled at the thing just becaus etit was a gigantic engineering marvel, and it maintained itself.
It maintained itself via the Keepers, who everyone was aware of even if they didn't understand how they came to be but they knew the Citadel didn't clean itself through magic. Regardless Nexus doesn't have anything like keepers, they couldn't even really have power to turn on lights properly without the Ark ships. Anyhow they can understand how things works and still be amazed by the engineering, nothing suggests that the races in ME1-3 couldn't have built something like The Nexus if they poured their resources in and worked for years...a bit too much but

They didn't know that (IIRC). They marveled at the thing just becaus etit was a gigantic engineering marvel, and it maintained itself.
Yeah they didn't know that but that's a big difference between the Citadel and the Nexus. They couldn't decipher the citadel because of the underlying tech. There's really nothing special about the Nexus as far as I can tell, the only remarkable thing about it is its size compared to non citadel stations.

We've seen some huge ass spaceships in Mass Effect and they build the crucible in a pretty short amount of time during war time.

There's like 100.000 participants to the andromeda initiative if everyone involved paid for their trip and some it shouldn't be too difficult to accomplish. It did take something close to 13 years for the initiative to depart.

Same here, just tried it out. It sucks for strike team missions because it doesn't give you the success rate % chance for the mission unless I missed it somehow.
Yeah, it does. I've only done them on the app so far and tend to be 90%+ on bronze, 65%+ on silver and in the 10-15% on gold. My highest team is level 15 so far.

Krentist

Neo Member
It's a mildly cheesy action movie type line...?

Even the oft-cited "I've been talking so much, my face is tired" line from Foster Addison. A little awkward, sure, but is it really that odd of a thing to say?

... Yes? I certainly raised an eyebrow at that, I've never heard a phrase like that before. Not to mention her face itself is devoid of an expression while she says it, so it's even more unfortunate.

I also severely dislike her line about "goddamn poetry" or something like that, because nothing she said was like poetry.

Nekrono

... with zero tactics.

Hate the 3 power limit. Fucking leave that on consoles, give me more on PC.

True. I don't care so much about controlling my squad but I do wish I had more abilities at my disposal.

I do plan on switching over to M&K for my Insanity playthrough mostly because of easier mobility/aiming but yeah I wish we had more abilities to keybind.

Akai__

Kinda wished you could sort your Missions based on the planet or location.

And somebody please check this out. On Xbox One:

Anyone else having a bugged Strike Team screen? I can't even Exit out of the tab where you'd normally upgrade and inspect your Strike Teams.

Only buttons that do something are the bumpers and if they wouldn't, it would be a softlock trap screen. X,Y,B,A buttons just don't do anything in there anymore and I don't know why.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
... Yes? I certainly raised an eyebrow at that, I've never heard a phrase like that before. Not to mention her face itself is devoid of an expression while she says it, so it's even more unfortunate.

I also severely dislike her line about "goddamn poetry" or something like that, because nothing she said was like poetry.

Yeah, Addison is terribly voiced, animated and written imo

Rest of the game is great imo

Lister

Banned

That confused the shit out of me, I thought the game was bugged and skipping lines of.. poetry? Or that another character nearby was reciting poetry and the audio was bugged so I couldn't hear it.

So confusing.

It's almost like the game was written in another language and somehtign was lost in translation. A LOT fo the game feels that way actually.

Krentist

Neo Member
Space Drake seems to be the consensus which is somewhat aided by the similarity of the voice. I like him.

Yeah, even though I was femshep in the previous games, I decided to go with Scott this time around, because his personality was more appealing than Sarah's. I think a lot of that was in how Sarah's voice sounds too goofy playful teenager-y to me; I couldn't take her seriously. Jennifer Hale is a damn tough act to follow... I needed a more badass female voice and Sarah ain't it. That really influenced my choice.

Yeah, even though I was femshep in the previous games, I decided to go with Scott this time around, because his personality was more appealing than Sarah's. I think a lot of that was in how Sarah's voice sounds too goofy playful teenager-y to me; I couldn't take her seriously. Jennifer Hale is a damn tough act to follow... I needed a more badass female voice and Sarah ain't it. That really influenced my choice.

Sara is pretty badass. Just more the making up as we go along kind.

Lister

Banned

I went with Sara for different reasons - firs tI don't think Scott's voice acting or personality are any better. And 2, I couldn't stand his stupid goofy face. When I put him up against default male Shep... well default male Shep is a bit underwear model boring, but still, in comparison, Scott looks like a lost teenager, standing next to a man.

Sara also looks like an akward teen girl, but I can imagine her blossoming into a mature hard assed woman. Even though the game probably won't actually do that. My brain just couldn't do that for Scott. Poor Scotty, stuck in that freezer still, probably dreaming about climbing mountain ledges on a tropical island somewhere, cracking stupid jokes.

Peroroncino

So... Site 1, there's a side-quest marker in the main building, right in the middle of a room where there's a terminal which plays Wilcox's audiolog about 'damn storms' - how come there's nothing there? When I highlight that point on the map it shows nothing, no objectibe, no info, nothing, tried using scanner.

Edit: Oh I almost forgot, is it possible to change Ryder's appearance mid-game?

Kyoufu

Krogan Gladiator is now available in store packs and you can use Mission Funds to purchase equipment in the item store too.

So what's everyone favorite crafted creation so far?
Just made lvl 5 Remnant Armour with some rare mods. Looks good. ANd a lvl 5 Remnant Sniper rifle.

So... Site 1, there's a side-quest marker in the main building, right in the middle of a room where there's a terminal which plays Wilcox's audiolog about 'damn storms' - how come there's nothing there? When I highlight that point on the map it shows nothing, no objectibe, no info, nothing, tried using scanner.

Edit: Oh I almost forgot, is it possible to change Ryder's appearance mid-game?
I have a marker on a terminal suggesting a new quest but nothing shows up. Don't have your issue though.
And no, I don't think so. Maybe a way round with a mod on PC but unless added as a free DLC or patch you can't change.

Okay, serious question regarding the Angara, will spoiler but it is driving me nuts...

Do they ever mention during the game how you can go from hearing gibberish alien language when you land, to suddenly being able to communicate with absolutely no problem as soon as you walk off of the ship? I don't know if I missed something or what, but coming out of the ship and suddenly everyone is talking my language like it is no problem is mind boggling to me.

Maledict

I think people paid to be part of the initiative. It's basically a pyramid scheme w/o the profiteering. The Nexus is not the Citadel it's just a big spacebase.

One of the biggest issues is that in ME the technology was quite clear - you couldn't travel FTL for long periods of time without needing to discharge the buildup of energy in a gravity well. That was one of the core staples of the series - yet somehow that limitation was removed *before* the ME trilogy, which is nuts.

Mifune

Mehmber
Happy to report that I'm still liking the game on Vould. So much better than Eos it's crazy. I think and hope I've turned the corner on this one.

Krentist

Neo Member
I went with Sara for different reasons - firs tI don't think Scott's voice acting or personality are any better. And 2, I couldn't stand his stupid goofy face. When I put him up against default male Shep... well default male Shep is a bit underwear model boring, but still, in comparison, Scott looks like a lost teenager, standing next to a man.

Yeah default Scott was a no-no for me. I think the combo of his nathan drake voice and my custom Scott is what sold me on him. I was able to age him up a bit to more of what my brain was expecting, lol.

HWyRhfk.jpg

Lister

Banned
Yeah default Scott was a no-no for me. I think the combo of his nathan drake voice and my custom Scott is what sold me on him. I was able to age him up a bit to more of what my brain was expecting, lol.

HWyRhfk.jpg

That looks way better. Reminds me a little bit of that guy from Suits. For some reason I never even thought of customizing him... damn it.

Sara is fantastic, I love her personality and her relationships and dialogue with everyone. Much like original Male Shep, I can't imagine playing as anyone other than her in this

One of the biggest issues is that in ME the technology was quite clear - you couldn't travel FTL for long periods of time without needing to discharge the buildup of energy in a gravity well. That was one of the core staples of the series - yet somehow that limitation was removed *before* the ME trilogy, which is nuts.
Hard to say how exactly they did it but they could have gotten access to a reaper partway through planning. Reapers might have played a role in the initiative after all and could have accelerated their plans rapidly both technologically and urgently.

I love, love, love the look of the Heleus Icon Armor. The collar is rad. Couple with an N7 helm for nostalgia.

Is that a blueprint you find?

Everything I've seen so far is either just stuff i can already research/develop, or stuff that can be bought at stores.

I'd love to know if there's some higher end blueprints out there that you either have to do difficult missions to obtain or go searching for them

What is up with some of the ambient audio in this game?

The "crowd" audio on Eos is hilarious and bizarre.

Why are there bird chirping sounds on the Nexus? Are there actually animals on board? Why?

This stuff stands out even more with the lack of music 90% of the time.

Can someone help me: RE: CRAFTING

I research Vintage Heat Sinks and used it on a weapon I crafted. Now I want to make a new weapon but I no longer have Vintage Heat Sinks as an option and can't craft a new one? Was it really a one time use never to be used again???

Oh boy my initial excitement has been somewhat dampened by the animations. I thought it would be ok (hyperbole on the internet? Never!) but after a couple of crazy eyeball moments and a 'just shit her pants' walk it's starting to grate a bit. Hopefully they work on it. Nothing will truly get in the way of my love for mass effect though...

Is that a blueprint you find?

Everything I've seen so far is either just stuff i can already research/develop, or stuff that can be bought at stores.

I'd love to know if there's some higher end blueprints out there that you either have to do difficult missions to obtain or go searching for them
It's the 4th and 5th upgrade to the heleus defender armor unlocked from the start. It's also 1 suit covering everythin but the helmet which is convenient but probably a bit inefficient.

Many armor pieces change looks the further you upgrade.

I research Vintage Heat Sinks and used it on a weapon I crafted. Now I want to make a new weapon but I no longer have Vintage Heat Sinks as an option and can't craft a new one? Was it really a one time use never to be used again???

you get them back by deconstructing the crafted weapon.

Krentist

Neo Member
Hard to say how exactly they did it but they could have gotten access to a reaper partway through planning. Reapers might have played a role in the initiative after all and could have accelerated their plans rapidly both technologically and urgently.

Well this is very spoilery but
In some of your Dad's later unlocked memory logs, it reveals they found out about the Reapers and a lot of the Initiative actually was accelerated because of it. There's also the shadowy "benefactor" they don't reveal who most people assume is the Illusive Man... with the knowledge he and Cerberus had that the average council/alliance didn't, it's possible he brought some new tech to the table to solve those previous technical issues.

Guessing it's a mod that's currently slotted in a weapon and you need to take it off that weapon to make it available on the new one.

Unless you crafted multiples.

It's the 4th and 5th upgrade to the heleus defender armor unlocked from the start. It's also 1 suit covering everythin but the helmet which is convenient but probably a bit inefficient.

Many armor pieces change looks the further you upgrade.

you get them back by deconstructing the crafted weapon.

Ahhhh, gotcha. I did notice the aesthetic differences for the first time last night as i was just paging through the upgrades. Well, I hope there's some cool stuff out there I haven't found yet, versus everything just being in your inventory from the start, awaiting the materials to craft it.

ruimound

Does the first conversation with
your sibling
in the Cryo Bay (after Eos) make any difference later on? The options were pretty hard - I actually felt like that was a pretty challenging conversation to "do right," which gives me some faith in the writing of this game, which I haven't felt was nearly as bad as reviews have panned.

How do I take it off the weapon I crafted? It only gives me the option to destroy the weapon not dismantle it.

Gotta go to somewhere you can manage your loadout. like a fast travel point or on your ship or before you dock on a new planet. when you select your weapons in your various slots, you can also select the mods for the individual slots (or take them out)

Gotta go to somewhere you can manage your loadout. like a fast travel point or on your ship or before you dock on a new planet. when you select your weapons in your various slots, you can also select the mods for the individual slots (or take them out)
it's not a mod but an augmentation, he should be able to deconstruct the weapon in his inventory but he has to unequip it first.
Well this is very spoilery but
In some of your Dad's later unlocked memory logs, it reveals they found out about the Reapers and a lot of the Initiative actually was accelerated because of it. There's also the shadowy "benefactor" they don't reveal who most people assume is the Illusive Man... with the knowledge he and Cerberus had that the average council/alliance didn't, it's possible he brought some new tech to the table to solve those previous technical issues.
People assumed a bunch of that. And there's also the last name coincidence with Cora.

I'm talking about the augments used during crafting creation, not the mods.

Top Bottom