• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

valkyre

The fact that so many people here on GAF consider ME3 and DA:I "trash", is making me quite confident that Andromeda aint THAT bad...

Now if only they could patch that 1080p mode for the Pro ...

Un4

Put some hours into it yesterday. Overall i like it because it's Mass Effect and the combat is awesome.

The performance on PS4 Pro (1080p) is piss poor in the first few hours, mostly
on the Hyperion and the first planet
. Hope it will improve in the rest of the game.

Also noticed a stutter when turning with your weapon equipped. Changing shoulder view fixes it for a short moment but moments later it's stuttering again.

This game badly needed some extra time in oven...

Freeman76

The fact that so many people here on GAF consider ME3 and DA:I "trash", is making me quite confident that Andromeda aint THAT bad...

Now if only they could patch that 1080p mode for the Pro ...

Its not that bad. They shot themselves in the foot with a fucking awful first mission their engine cant handle. It probably put a lot of people in fucked off mode from the start. The lightning makes the performance so bad it just ruins the mission. The animation is shit but to be honest its no worse than Fallout 4 for example.

These people that class ME3 and DAI as trash are just not on my radar, 2 very good games IMO.

I think people overstate the role of the jank/glitches as to why this is a bad game. I've played a handful of hours now and it's boring. It does nothing to advance the series; it's just a worse Mass Effect.

Depends on how much you can stomach jank. I love the game but it's making it pretty difficult to do so at times.

Summer price drop, this game is in dire need of 2-3 big patches.

Ah okay. Summer it is. Guess I'll replay the first Mass Effect to satiate my need for something engrossing. Then Persona 5.

Bit lame, though. I was really looking forward to this game, but if the writing's subpar, I won't be able to stomach much.

Freeman76

Ah okay. Summer it is. Guess I'll replay the first Mass Effect to satiate my need for something engrossing. Then Persona 5.

Bit lame, though. I was really looking forward to this game, but if the writing's subpar, I won't be able to stomach much.

Mate, this place is majorly depressing everyone has something to moan about. I honestly feel like the essence of gaming is lost among most people on GAF.

Kureizu

Bought the PC version because of the Ps4 Pro framerate. My god, combat feels way better. I'm enjoying the game so much more.

Tovarisc

Small Eos question, no spoilers ... how long does it take for the radiation in the planet to disappear ?

I see a lot of quest markers behind lv 3 radiation zones where I die pretty much instantly. Is it gated by time or story ? or did I miss something on Eos itself to speed it up ?

Quite fast. When you get quest from
xxCoraxx
to go to Eos it's cleared.

Once done with Vault and Outpost just bail from Eos, for now.

------

Squadmates are disappointing on Insanity. They deal very little damage outside of some skill burst and if they aren't Nakmor and Jaal they can't stay alive for shit. Variety isn't very viable thing when squadies can't do shit and keep dying so fast.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Anyone disappointed in the Tempest's engine room? I was hoping for an engine as cool as the first normandy not the second one.

Especially since there are way better games out now and or coming out. Don't settle for less.

pitchfork

Finally thought i'd get to see what all the fuss is about last night, but NOPE! Day one patch (XBL) decided to redownload the entire fucking game : (

Will jump in later hopefully

Tovarisc

There is some weird lowpoints in writing, but for large majority it's at level of OG Trilogy?

In general I wonder if people complaining about general and squadmate writing actually have even played OG Trilogy and/or MEA? Quality difference isn't drastic enough to point out that MEA is significantly better or worse.

My pre-order skin for Nomad.

N6Kqt9V1I.png

This is my skin too. Not a fan of the gold, that blue one Chandoog posted looks better.

Maledict

There is some weird lowpoints in writing, but for large majority it's at level of OG Trilogy?

In general I wonder if people complaining about general and squadmate writing actually have even played OG Trilogy and/or MEA? Quality difference isn't drastic enough to point out that MEA is significantly better or worse.

Admittedly I'm only 9 hours played, but as someone who considers the original trilogy the best video game series ever I consider the writing noticeably sub-par and worse than the original series. I have two issues with it:

1) Sometimes the writing is simply terrible. My face is tired? Being a pie? I'm still half convinced the script was written in French and then tranlstaed badly.

2) Tone. The game has a different tone to the original trilogy, and (for me) that sits badly. someone else described it as a Joss Whedon-esque humour - it's full of self referential stuff. The original trilogy had humour, but took itself seriously, whereas this game has a mocking, more light-hearted feel. Some people will love that, but personally it absolutely grates on me. It's just not right for the setting or the series at all.

Tovarisc

Admittedly I'm only 9 hours played, but as someone who considers the original trilogy the best video game series ever I consider the writing noticeably sub-par and worse than the original series. I have two issues with it:

1) Sometimes the writing is simply terrible. My face is tired? Being a pie? I'm still half convinced the script was written in French and then tranlstaed badly.

2) Tone. The game has a different tone to the original trilogy, and (for me) that sits badly. someone else described it as a Joss Whedon-esque humour - it's full of self referential stuff. The original trilogy had humour, but took itself seriously, whereas this game has a mocking, more light-hearted feel. Some people will love that, but personally it absolutely grates on me. It's just not right for the setting or the series at all.

1) Yep, writing has those weird lowpoints and disconnects. OGT also has those to be honest.

2) To be fair BioWare for longest time has been honest / open about MEA being more light at the heart and more about hope than despair that was OGT. If you personally feel that having that despair, constant threat etc. fits better Mass Effect than more light tones of MEA that is fine, but that doesn't mean writing sucks ass like some like to claim.

P.S. I loved ME2 and liked 1 and 3. ~60h into MEA

Maledict

People keep saying that, but no-one has yet to find me anything in the original trilogy that had something so god awful stupid in it as "My face is tired". This game doesn't have the highs of the original trilogy either - it has nothing so far to compare to the dialogue when Shepherd becomes a spectre, the conversation with Sovereign, the various character interactions of ME2 etc. But it certainly has plenty of lows.

Oh, and I don't fucking like coffee game!

I love how you're comparing a game you're 9 hours in to a trilogy we all played 400h of, what a fair and respectful way to make judgements

diaspora

People keep saying that, but no-one has yet to find me anything in the original trilogy that had something so god awful stupid in it as "My face is tired". This game doesn't have the highs of the original trilogy either - it has nothing so far to compare to the dialogue when Shepherd becomes a spectre, the conversation with Sovereign, the various character interactions of ME2 etc. But it certainly has plenty of lows.

I mean, there's the whole using dreams to have a specops operative removed then trying to convince the player they should be indignant that nobody listened to your dreams.

Then using 15 seconds of a distorted audio tape as "irrefutable" proof.

X-Frame

Does anyone know what the upper ceiling is in terms of ReSpec cost?

I've done it twice already where it was like 520 credits and next one is about 1040 credits. Does it keep doubling until it gets a certain amount and stops?

Maledict

I love how you're comparing a game you're 9 hours in to a trilogy we all played 400h of, what a fair and respectful way to make judgements

?

Well, thanks for the smart-alec comment but find me the first 9 hours of ME1 or ME2 which has any of the poor quality of this game. What a ridiculous "come-back" - are we supposed to just accept the first 10 hours or so are poor and of lower quality, but that all magically changes later on?

I am personally kind of digging the lighter tone. Some lines are certainly awful, and they have been discussed to death, but overall i am enjoying the story. The characters are starting to grow on me too. The first 2 human companions seemed dull as hell at the start of the game but I am coming around.

Some of the little character touches like the e-mail board on your ship are very amusing.

I've legit said that before. When you gotta smile the whole day or some shit it gets stiff.

ME1 sidequests were full of awful cringeworthy dialogue. Everyone they tried to do a mentally ill person they failed utterly and they tried a whole bunch. There was that Merc who was funded by the alliance that wanted to be addressed as lordship.

I've not had any highs as good as Mordin singing scientist salarian but the overall quality of the companions is in line with the trilogy.

singo

Neo Member
Change your active quest. The game will autosave, and you're able to manually save if you want, then switch back to your original quest. This is how you save during priority missions.

This is really the dumbest shit.
Thanks tough, you're a hero :)

nOoblet16

How about the premise that ancient organics developed an AI that develops killer AI to kill organics so that the organics won't develop an AI which will eventually kill them all. I'm sure there are proper examples of lines written badly but those games happened a long time ago. This game has it's own highs in a different way, for example the feeling of exploring space is better than it has ever been and even the fetch quests provide quite a bit of exposition into the world building.

?

Well, thanks for the smart-alec comment but find me the first 9 hours of ME1 or ME2 which has any of the poor quality of this game. What a ridiculous "come-back" - are we supposed to just accept the first 10 hours or so are poor and of lower quality, but that all magically changes later on?

People like you are so sad to read, always so cynical and full of themselves, so sure of their judgement to be the universal truth.

Like many others, you didn't came here to discuss but to assert your own opinion to yourself -- you don't need the internet for that, just write your opinion on papers and hang them on your wall.

Is there a solid single shot, big damage pistol? i'm rollin with a sniper rifle and I really don't have a great secondary for distance in those rare occasions when i'm running out of ammo.

Also, built the asari sword last night. I like the damage but the dash animation that's built into the normal melee strike definitely makes it somewhat difficult to use consistently, especially when you're up close...

Tovarisc

Because how MEA is structured it's hard to say where you are at 9h in so... where are you? Just curious about how you are progressed and to what point. That has affect on what kind interactions you are getting from squadmates, just like in any ME game.

For me discussion with Sovereign was high point of whole OGT that it never managed to top. Illusive Man came close, but then ME3 ruined him.

You remember and point out MEA's lows constantly because you have just experienced them and freshly in your memory. Been so long since I played ME1, little less for ME2 and month or so for ME3. There were enough times where I felt like facepalming because how awkwardly something was set up or written that I remember those moments being there, just like in MEA. Even if I can't tell you specific words or scenes.

Well there is whole arc with Cerberus and Illusive Man in ME3 that is so bad, that just happens to be on top of my mind.

Is there a solid single shot, big damage pistol? i'm rollin with a sniper rifle and I really don't have a great secondary for distance in those rare occasions when i'm running out of ammo.

Also, built the asari sword last night. I like the damage but the dash animation that's built into the normal melee strike definitely makes it somewhat difficult to use consistently, especially when you're up close...
Carnifex, Phalanx, and... I don't remember the name off the top of my head, but the not-revolver all fit the bill. And that's just Milky way weapons.

Maledict

People like you are so sad to read, always so cynical and full of themselves, so sure of their judgement to be the universal truth.

Like many others, you didn't came here to discuss but to assert your own opinion to yourself -- you don't need the internet for that, just write your opinion on papers and hang them on your wall.

?

I'm really not sure what's up with you, but this is a discussion board and a thread for posting opinions. You don't get to back-seat moderate me just because you don't like my opinion or disagree with it. Read my other posts in this thread and others and as you can see I understand why some people are enjoying it, but it's not for me and what I view as a weaker game design is further lowered by poor dialogue and animations.

If you're getting this worked up about people criticising a game they don't like, or are disappointed by, I'd suggest taking a bread from the internet for a while - go enjoy Mass Effect instead of posting here attacking people because they disagree with you. My posts don't change ME:A one bit, so if it's so much fun go play that instead of white knighting a company that really doesn't need you to.

if I'm going Tech / Combat, what combos are available for me to detonate primed enemies? I can prime enemies with Incinerate, Overload and Cryo Beam at the moment (only level 11).

Running an Adept setup like I did in ME2/3. Is anyone running Lance, Pull, Singularity? If so what perks? I remember singularity being better in past games.

Also, what about biotic passives? More damange or faster recharge? Thanks.

I'm 3 planets in at about 12 hours. This game had some real potential. It just feels off. The combat is hit or miss for me. I think when it's a curated arena it's fine, but when it's out in the wild it can be a real gamble.

nOoblet16

You should put some points into weight limit and basically carry a sniper and a low fire rate assault rifle. Infact I have enough space to actually carry a shotgun as well for really close combat and not be bogged down by weight restriction.

I have a 3 shot remnant AR that I modified to fire exploding bullets...since it's remnant I can keep firing without reloading. My sniper on the other hand is a one shot high damage, medium reload weapon. I wonder if I can make that sniper rifle fire two bullets though by increasing clip size somehow.

Maledict

Because how MEA is structured it's hard to say where you are at 9h in so... where are you? Just curious about how you are progressed and to what point. That has affect on what kind interactions you are getting from squadmates, just like in any ME game.

For me discussion with Sovereign was high point of whole OGT that it never managed to top. Illusive Man came close, but then ME3 ruined him.

You remember and point out MEA's lows constantly because you have just experienced them and freshly in your memory. Been so long since I played ME1, little less for ME2 and month or so for ME3. There were enough times where I felt like facepalming because how awkwardly something was set up or written that I remember those moments being there, just like in MEA. Even if I can't tell you specific words or scenes.

Well there is whole arc with Cerberus and Illusive Man in ME3 that is so bad, that just happens to be on top of my mind.

I replayed Me2 recently, but never managed a full replay of ME:3 - the ending still hurts... ;-)

I think we're slightly talking at cross purposes though. I'm not far enough into the game to see whether the overarching plot is bad or not, although so far it hasn't grabbed me. and yes, the original trilogy is full of stuff that doesn't make sense, or is weak I can write essays on ME3s numerous mistakes). My complaint about ME:A is less that, and more the actual writing. People simply don't speak in this way, and the fact the animations are borked makes it worse. ME games absolutely have janky, silly scenarios in them like visions of dead children etc, but the actual writing wasn't this poor. and as you say, Cerbeus in Me3 is a good example of the series going off the rails in a bad way - but even with that, the Illusive Man was still well written and voice acted.

Basically, I'm finding the dialogue stilited, cringey and (in some cases) very unrealistic - people don't talk this way. That's dragging me out of the game and breaking the immersion, which then means I'm more aware of the stuff that in previous games I was able to accept, as you point out. It's a personal thing definitely, but given it's a new studio writing this game it definitely feels like they haven't got the same writing chops as the original Bioware and it shows.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I agree with the tone being off. I don't mind BioWare giving it a crack, but I honestly don't think the actual premise justifies it. It's unnecessary to be as light hearted and relaxed as it is, when a one way journey into the absolute unknown is on the brink of catastrophic failure on all fronts. It's a game of hope, sure, but sometimes it leans a bit too heavily in the casual adventuring for my taste. Everything about the premise is the exact opposite of casual adventure, and I feel when demonstrated that clash of tones ranges from unrealistic to obnoxious. You don't travel 2.5 light years distance over 600 Earth years of time, abanonding literally everything you know and love on a one way voyage into the absolute unknown, your ship struck by disaster which almost kills your sibling, land on a planet that's supposed to be your homeworld only to find it utterly fucked, almost die trying to land on it in a ship that explodes full of crew, near miss a lighting strike only to sassily quip "lol welcome to habitat 7 :D :D :D :D". It's just off.

I think they misjudged intention and direction there, but thankfully it's not enough to severely hamper the game for me, and I recognise some people might really like that playfulness contrast with seriousness.

Nevertheless, goddamn this game is gorgeous.

1mql3e.png

2i3yss.png

3klyng.png

The Ushio under Heleus tech is literally one shot over magazine. Under Milky Way there's the scorpion.

?

I'm really not sure what's up with you, but this is a discussion board and a thread for posting opinions. You don't get to back-seat moderate me just because you don't like my opinion or disagree with it. Read my other posts in this thread and others and as you can see I understand why some people are enjoying it, but it's not for me and what I view as a weaker game design is further lowered by poor dialogue and animations.

If you're getting this worked up about people criticising a game they don't like, or are disappointed by, I'd suggest taking a bread from the internet for a while - go enjoy Mass Effect instead of posting here attacking people because they disagree with you. My posts don't change ME:A one bit, so it it's so much fun go play that instead of white knighting a company that really doesn't need you to.
The reason he's acting like that is because you're treating people who disagree with you about the writing with a pretty fair degree of contempt, tbf. That might not be the intention, but it is how a lot of your posts come across.

Just my 2c.

Yo my build is out of hand. Level 33, 720 shields, and I am invincible. Everything I do restores shields. Kill enemy? 50% shields. Melee attack? 25% shields. Biotic charge? 50% shields.

Literally the only thing to kill me in the last 10 hours was when I got grabbed by a fiend and instagibbed.

Charge/Nova/Annihilation is the jams. Shields get boosted to 1000 in combat too hahahah

I'm at the point of shrugging off entire squads of gunfire on Insanity.

Top Bottom