• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

Silvard

UR chars aren't necessarily better than common ones, but they're super cooler! And having a character to X level doesn't add any power in itself, you just have more customisation options and a lot of skill points, you could just level up the UR with boosts and not care much.

Well, I'm guessing there might be builds that are only possible with a Rank X character, given the unique skill combinations characters have.

The multiplayer is amazing. Now that I'm used to it, it's just so damn fun. Honestly haven't ran into any dc/lag issues really. Main thing I hate is the matchmaking bugs if you want to queue up with a friend. That shit is whack.

Definitely going to have to find some people on here to play like we used to in the ME 3 days <3

It's very fun. Sign me up!

I can't tell you how much I disagree with that. To me this doesn't feel like an rpg at all. the conversations in the game so far offers hardly any kind of meaningful choice, it's almost pure exposition. The main form of choice and "roleplay" comes from what order you choose to hear a characters exposition.

I feel you. But the definition of RPG has completely evolved into meaning stats and gear etc which is what the person you quoted meant, and I have to agree with. Compared to 2/3 which were basically corridor shooters, this game actually having options as far as meaningful weapon and gear is refreshing.

RPG meaning actual narrative role-playing is kind of sadly antiquated at this point.

Renekton

So how is your order ? From best to worst

ME1 > ME2 > ME3 > Andromeda ?
Mine: ME1 > MEA > ME3 > ME2

Explanation: ME2 had huge continuity and character retcons that ticked me off sooo much, while not continuing the Reaper saga. ME3 would be lower if SP alone, but the MP was very good.

Dany

Banned
This game keeps breaking in the same side quest!!!

I'm trying to put down the third seismic hammer and fight this remnant architect, but I keep dying, reloading from my last save to try again doesn't launch the fight. So I have to close the entire game on ps4 and try again.

What a joke

Mine: ME1 > MEA > ME3 > ME2

Explanation: ME2 had huge continuity and character retcons that ticked me off sooo much, while not continuing the Reaper saga. ME3 would be lower if SP alone, but the MP was very good.

Mine would probably go ME2 > ME1 > MEA > ME3 but I'm still super early in MEA so it could change. ME2 is easily on of my favorite games of all-time but I can totally see why some would like ME1 more. ME1 is far more of a RPG and had a greater sense of exploration/discovery.

I'm absolutely loving the singleplayer. It's the ME I dreamed of. I just love the huge planet surfaces with lots of stuff to explore and uncover. Terra-forming and building colonies just blew me away yesterday! I can't wait to continue playing over the weekend.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.

Mass Effect as a franchise is not unlike Zelda to me, wherein so many of the games excel phenomenally in some areas at the expense of others. I struggle to rank them in order of whole, so much as the individual components that make them up.

I'm enjoying Andromeda a lot. It absolutely has issues and direction I don't fully agree with. But it's also the only game since the very original to make large open planetoid exploration with emphasis on scale and scope a major focus of the overall vision. I lamented their absence in both ME2 and ME3, and so to see them back is a thing of beauty.

Trickster

I feel you. But the definition of RPG has completely evolved into meaning stats and gear etc which is what the person you quoted meant, and I have to agree with. Compared to 2/3 which were basically corridor shooters, this game actually having options as far as meaningful weapon and gear is refreshing.

RPG meaning actual narrative role-playing is kind of sadly antiquated at this point.

But the gear and stat system is not very good.

The difference in the gear you can craft and use at lvl 30+, is hardly any different than what you can use at lvl 10. I'm lvl 32 and I've litterally used the same shotgun and sniper for the last 20 or so levels. There's been no reason for me to use something different. Stat scaling as you level in this game is just non existant.

As for my armor, that is something I choose 100% based on looks. Because whether my chest gives me +7% accuracy or +5% biotic power is something that I couldn't care less about.

Diancecht

T3IBrSj.png

hey anyone want to boost my batter??

Your face looks tired.

After about 18 hours of play, I have come to the conclusion that about half of the reviewers were overly harsh on this game. I'm thoroughly enjoying the game and don't regret my purchase at all. It's not without it's issues, but it does a bunch of stuff right. If they get a patch out for the Pro, it will be even better.

Freeman76

I played the EA trial until I got the Nomad and that was it, purchase confirmed. The performance issues fuck me off, but 5 years of waiting for a new ME, I had to do it. Watched a couple of PRO vids and the performace seems far better than what I played on XB1.

People need to be ranking what really matters.

Jacket > Long Sleeves > Hoodie > Short Sleeves

Also, Cora's loyalty mission feels like suuuch a (intentional) throwback. Pretty cool.

Rellik

People need to be ranking what really matters.

Jacket > Long Sleeves > Hoodie > Short Sleeves

Also, Cora's loyalty mission feels like suuuch a (intentional) throwback. Pretty cool.

Jacket is superior but I need an option to remove them fancy gloves.

The multiplayer is amazing. Now that I'm used to it, it's just so damn fun. Honestly haven't ran into any dc/lag issues really. Main thing I hate is the matchmaking bugs if you want to queue up with a friend. That shit is whack.

Definitely going to have to find some people on here to play like we used to in the ME 3 days <3

i Bought the game yesterday and jumped right into multiplayer and im not havig a good time atm. Played maybe 6 matches the game froze in two matches, lag made two matches unplayable, failed one and finished one. I hope they get shit together.

xealo

ME2 > ME3 > Andromeda > ME1

Andromeda has the best gameplay in the series, not a single doubt about. It just isn't a very compelling experience for playing for the story.
If the story were better it'd take the top spot instantly. It is fun to play, but again, story isn't very good.

Ralemont

not me
There are quite a few worthwhile sidequests on Veold. Nice to actually be rewarded with mildly interesting little stories when you go off the beaten path. Hell I even went back to Eos and they had some good ones. That assault on the Kett base was fucking awesome.

As for rankings, I definitely like Andromeda more than 1 so far. Too early in the story to tell if it will overtake 3 and 2 but the combat and MP are putting it up there.

ME1 holds a special place on my heart. The writing, the mako and planet exploration (even if there was nothing there, I still enjoyed) and that main menu theme.

Meowster

ME2 > ME3 > Andromeda > ME1

In saying that though, the original Mass Effect had the strongest storyline and the best villain of the series. But I just overwhelmingly like the crew more in the other games and I was late to the party with Mass Effect 1 since I already beat 2 and 3 the first time I played.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
So I just found this kind of cool thing that's... probably not intended. And I'm sure I'm not the first to find it.

The Remnant assault rifle you can develop is like a rechargable beam weapon, never runs out of ammo. It has "1" clip that continuously refills.

... Consumables ammo applies to "the next three clips" in the weapon. Which for this weapon is... the entire magazine. So you always have disruptor/incinerary/whatever ammo on it. awesome!

Rellik

So I just found this kind of cool thing that's... probably not intended. And I'm sure I'm not the first to find it.

The Remnant assault rifle you can develop is like a rechargable beam weapon, never runs out of ammo. It has "1" clip that continuously refills.

... Consumables ammo applies to "the next three clips" in the weapon. Which for this weapon is... the entire magazine. So you always have disruptor/incinerary/whatever ammo on it. awesome!

Just like Mass Effect 1 :)

Bendo

For anyone who has experience with Mass Effect multiplayer, what's the most efficient way of gaining gear? I've just been purchasing Base packs which seems fine but obviously doesn't result in a lot of rare loot.

Also, what happens when you've maxed out a character/weapon, do surplus cards just convert into currency or can you no longer get those cards?

Arklite

Andromeda is cumbersome. I keep feeling it everywhere, always a hitch or hang up somewhere. From space navigation sluggishness to constant dialogue mash ups and just general awkward design choices. It's&#8203; entertaining despite that, gear unlocks and combat are keeping me playing. It's also really making me realize how much I took ME2s fantastic cast and dialogue for granted.

Vico

Are you not approaching the tons of ammo boxes everywhere?

I am, but it really feels like I'm not finding as much as I should. I have to end most fights only with my biotic powers and with my squadmates dead.
Playing on hardcore btw (it's pretty hard).

Trails of Hope main story quest spoilers

Just freed that elder (mosha?), and boy that was a fun mission. Though, I don't think anyone would be surprised by that twist. Being kidnapped and never even seen again? That was too much of a hint so the reveal wasn't really surprising imo.

Still, pretty interesting turn of events with the choice at the end. I wonder how will that effect my character later on.

Anyway, the Aya is now fully open and God, that city looks beautiful.
Can't wait to see more cities/hubs in this game!

One small problem that I had with that mission, was that orb wielding dude. I've fought a handful of them thus far and man, they are like the most boring enemies in this game. Unfortunately I know I'm gonna see more of them, ugh!

P.S: I've got a ton of clips and photos from various glitches. I should post some of the funnier ones sometime lol

There's a large asteroid you go to for some reason (maybe a companion mission) and it's great fun driving around in a souped up Nomad as the gravity is lower and you really fly over bumps and ridges. The sound is also muted because there's no atmosphere which is a nice touch. This area probably reminded me of ME1 the most though I see callbacks all over the place.

Dany

Banned
Having a hard time progressing. The story isn't grabbing me, the side stuff keeps breaking. I really hate having long tailed story missions dart you around the heleous cluster. Go to Eos, the nexus, speak to cora, go back to eos, scan this rock, and then mission complete.

Freeman76

Having a hard time progressing. The story isn't grabbing me, the side stuff keeps breaking. I really hate having long tailed story missions dart you around the heleous cluster. Go to Eos, the nexus, speak to cora, go back to eos, scan this rock, and then mission complete.

Why did you buy a Mass Effect game if you dont like those gameplay systems?

Maledict

Because the two most successful games of the series didn't do this?

People have to remember that for everyone cheering the return to ME1 style gameplay, there's two people not happy with it going by sales numbers. I'm happy you folk got the type of game you wanted, but personally deeply disappointed that the Mass Effect I wanted and enjoyed the most has gone.

xealo

There's a large asteroid you go to for some reason (maybe a companion mission) and it's great fun driving around in a souped up Nomad as the gravity is lower and you really fly over bumps and ridges. The sound is also muted because there's no atmosphere which is a nice touch. This area probably reminded me of ME1 the most though I see callbacks all over the place.

My favourite part about that place was hearing the team mates in the nomad scream out of fear as I misjudged a turn and went right over a cliff and started falling.

... I'm not so sure my Ryder should be trusted at the wheel.

Dany

Banned

Because Mass Effect 2 and 3 were linear and did not have side missions outside a single zone. You talked to an NPC and they gave you a mission that you could either scan from a star system or you'd complete it from a story mission.

Most of the mission design from main plot, loyalty, side quests have you darting around the Cluster. Not that isn't a bad thing. But the load times to get anywhere is a drag and then it says "HOLD" can't complete just yet. Wait for story to progress. I played DA:I to completion and if I recall correctly did the majority of the dragon missions and side quests and it was not as bad as this.

Caleb187

I love how the MP Krogan vanguard plays, but I hate the red screen effect when you get his rage buff. It gives me a headache! Is there any way to turn that effect off?

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Can anyone upload en.sb and en.toc files located in Mass Effect Andromeda\Data\Win32\loctext folder? Just want to check if it'll help to add english text to RU version.

Edit: Nope. Looks like it wont help. Oh well, fuck you EA for reg lock.

Freeman76

Can anyone see a difference with film grain and CA turned off?

Found a temp fix for the bad faces....turn helmets on at all times lol

Top Bottom