• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda |OT| Ryders on the Storm

Maledict

I wish my PC could run the game at those settings. This is the first game that's made me realise how out of date my system now is... ;-(

I was planning on getting it for the Pro, but until that's fixed there's no way. I can happily play at 30fps, but not 20 fps and stuttering all the time.

Alien's really do look good in this game.

?

I'm really not sure what's up with you, but this is a discussion board and a thread for posting opinions. You don't get to back-seat moderate me just because you don't like my opinion or disagree with it. Read my other posts in this thread and others and as you can see I understand why some people are enjoying it, but it's not for me and what I view as a weaker game design is further lowered by poor dialogue and animations.

If you're getting this worked up about people criticising a game they don't like, or are disappointed by, I'd suggest taking a bread from the internet for a while - go enjoy Mass Effect instead of posting here attacking people because they disagree with you. My posts don't change ME:A one bit, so it it's so much fun go play that instead of white knighting a company that really doesn't need you to.

I'm really curious. what about the game design don't you like? to me that is by far the strongest area of the game.

I will grant you that the writing might not be to everyone's taste and the animation can be shockingly bad, but the actual guts of the rpg systems seem pretty awesome from what i've played.

Freeman76

I wish my PC could run the game at those settings. This is the first game that's made me realise how out of date my system now is... ;-(

I was planning on getting it for the Pro, but until that's fixed there's no way. I can happily play at 30fps, but not 20 fps and stuttering all the time.

Alien's really do look good in this game.

Yeah its very bad on pro, cant believe this got released in this state

Maledict

I'm really curious. what about the game design don't you like? to me that is by far the strongest area of the game.

I will grant you that the writing might not be to everyone's taste and the animation can be shockingly bad, but the actual guts of the rpg systems seem pretty awesome from what i've played.

I'm not a fan of the "rpg systems" to be honest - whilst I love role-playing games, I think Mass Effect hit its stride and peak in ME2. Every single fight and encounter in that game was planned, crafted and built to be experienced - whereas open-world games just throw combat at you because you need content to fill the open world. I'd still rather have specific classes to play on your main character, and I think what it gained in combat mobility wise it lost in the inability to control your squad.

II also *loathe* crafting in single player games. Utterly loathe it. I have yet to find a single game where it's been implemented well. It's either utterly worthless or overpowered, and always involves massive grinding.

And ultimately, I'm just not a fan of Biowares openworld games. I think the original Mass Effect was amazing, but also *deeply* flawed, and a return to that doesn't fill me with confidence. I don't enjoy driving round in a buggy and I don't enjoy maps full of busywork to do in Mass Effect. I wanted another Me2 - tight scripting, heavy design, and a focus on characters and narratives rather than "exploration".

(I actually quite like openworld games in general - even completed DA:I and enjoyed it still! I just don't like it in Mass Effect because it's not what I wanted or expected the series to become, and feels like a big step backwards to me).

Saying that - no matriarchs writings has to be a plus point! :)

You should put some points into weight limit and basically carry a sniper and a low fire rate assault rifle. Infact I have enough space to actually carry a shotgun as well for really close combat and not be bogged down by weight restriction.

I have a 3 shot remnant AR that I modified to fire exploding bullets...since it's remnant I can keep firing without reloading. My sniper on the other hand is a one shot high damage, medium reload weapon. I wonder if I can make that sniper rifle fire two bullets though by increasing clip size somehow.

Hmmm....

Talk to me more about this.

Right now i have a Black Widow I (no augs), and it's fine, but I can already build the II variant and was thinking about augs, but have no idea whether laser (beam?), plasma seekers or "exploding bullets" are more beneficial.

And I'm with you on the AR situation. I love DMR, single fire ARs, like the Mattock. What's the Remnant one you're using? I feel like I have a ton of research and mats available, i just don't know how to spend them.

I agree with the tone being off. I don't mind BioWare giving it a crack, but I honestly don't think the actual premise justifies it. It's unnecessary to be as light hearted and relaxed as it is, when a one way journey into the absolute unknown is on the brink of catastrophic failure on all fronts. It's a game of hope, sure, but sometimes it leans a bit too heavily in the casual adventuring for my taste. Everything about the premise is the exact opposite of casual adventure, and I feel when demonstrated that clash of tones ranges from unrealistic to obnoxious. You don't travel 2.5 light years distance over 600 Earth years of time, abanonding literally everything you know and love on a one way voyage into the absolute unknown, your ship struck by disaster which almost kills your sibling, land on a planet that's supposed to be your homeworld only to find it utterly fucked, almost die trying to land on it in a ship that explodes full of crew, near miss a lighting strike only to sassily quip "lol welcome to habitat 7 :D :D :D :D". It's just off.

I think they misjudged intention and direction there, but thankfully it's not enough to severely hamper the game for me, and I recognise some people might really like that playfulness contrast with seriousness.

Nevertheless, goddamn this game is gorgeous.

What res are you running? Are you still running 1440p with some resolution scaling and fps kind of all over the place? Those screens look super super clean, not a hint of aliasing. I'm at ~1370p and they aren't quite that clean.

Just reposting this question since it seems to have been missed:

Are there any missables in the game? I just did the first vault, and my teammates yelled about a chance to grab something, but I ran out before I could

denx

So I figured out why the first monolith I visited in Eos wouldn't activate. The game seems to expect you activate them in a very specific order, if you do them in any other order they won't activate. This is reflected in dialogue. Peebee makes a reference to Drack, whom I already had met, yet there is no dialogue to reflect that. Compare this with the original trilogy, where dialogue would change slightly based on the order you completed missions. Liara's dialogue when you meet her was different depending on whether you did the Therum mission shortly after the Citadel or much later.

Though seriously, that black hole...I would be kinda terrified to settle in a galaxy with that at the center, lol.

Every big galaxy has one of those massive black holes at the center, including the Milky Way. Better pack it up to the Magellanic Clouds.

Tovarisc

Are there any missables in the game? I just did the first vault, and my teammates yelled about a chance to grab something, but I ran out before I could

Maybe some starship model for your cabin? Not 100% sure. What you missed in Vault was some extra crafting materials, nothing of importance.

X-Frame

Yo my build is out of hand. Level 33, 720 shields, and I am invincible. Everything I do restores shields. Kill enemy? 50% shields. Melee attack? 25% shields. Biotic charge? 50% shields.

Literally the only thing to kill me in the last 10 hours was when I got grabbed by a fiend and instagibbed.

Charge/Nova/Annihilation is the jams. Shields get boosted to 1000 in combat too hahahah

I'm at the point of shrugging off entire squads of gunfire on Insanity.

This is what I want to work towards, haha. With how many skill trees you can spec into it's hard to answer if someone asks "What is your build?"

Did you spec at all into Combat or are you all in Biotic right now?

TheFatMan

If you got the balls there is a chest with a bunch of loot in it you can grab right before you leave. It's nothing "unique" but it has a pretty large amount of goods in it.

nOoblet16

Hmmm....

Talk to me more about this.

Right now i have a Black Widow I (no augs), and it's fine, but I can already build the II variant and was thinking about augs, but have no idea whether laser (beam?), plasma seekers or "exploding bullets" are more beneficial.

And I'm with you on the AR situation. I love DMR, single fire ARs, like the Mattock. What's the Remnant one you're using? I feel like I have a ton of research and mats available, i just don't know how to spend them.

What res are you running? Are you still running 1440p with some resolution scaling and fps kind of all over the place? Those screens look super super clean, not a hint of aliasing. I'm at ~1370p and they aren't quite that clean.
I'm using Sweeper IV.
I'd say just use your mods anyhow, you will come across many later and you'll even end up finding shops that sell you those mods.

As for sniper, I haven't used any of those mods on a sniper, since the one I am using was actually a drop so it didn't have any installed. Exploding mods take time to explode and it doesn't seem to do any bonus headshot damage, I could be wrong and I haven't used it on a sniper, but I wouldn't have that on a sniper. Laser seems better for it.

MaKTaiL

As someone who loved the original trilogy, I have a question: does it reference the events of the first games in any way during the story?

Bethell

Controls don't feel too good on PC. Like, the way Ryder runs/turns/walks is weird and "slippery". It doesnt feel very realistic whatsoever.

I'm using Sweeper IV.
I'd say just use your mods anyhow, you will come across many later and you'll even end up finding shops that sell you those mods.

As for sniper, I haven't used any of those mods on a sniper, since the one I am using was actually a drop so it didn't have any installed. Exploding mods take time to explode and it doesn't seem to do any bonus headshot damage, I could be wrong and I haven't used it on a sniper, but I wouldn't have that on a sniper. Laser seems better for it.

Sweeper is the AR? Where'd you get the blueprint?

Also, you're saying mods, but i assume you mean augs? (I learned yesterday in this thread those are very different.)

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I refuse to believe the Angaran introduction was intentional. Content had to have been cut.
Otherwise it's just awful writing. The mood and lead up is appropriate. They're speaking their own language. It's tense, but there's a sense of placidity between the groups. Then within seconds they're speaking English and referring to you as the pathfinder from the Milky Way. I hope this is actually explained in the lore at some point further on, because if not I can't see how this is anything but a combined production/writing mistake.

Yeah, still 1440p + 1.20% res scaling. FPS all over the place.

Tovarisc

I refuse to believe the Angaran introduction was intentional. Content had to have been cut.
Otherwise it's just awful writing. The mood and lead up is appropriate. They're speaking their own language. It's tense, but there's a sense of placidity between the groups. Then within seconds they're speaking English and referring to you as the pathfinder from the Milky Way. I hope this is actually explained in the lore at some point further on, because if not I can't see how this is anything but a combined production/writing mistake.

There is stuff later on that kinda works as, at least partial, explanation, but even then it's left as weird scene overall.

Finally had some time to play this. I've reached Eos and completed the main mission there.

Initial thoughts:

- The writing isn't bad. It's nothing special, but it's not the disaster some folks were making it out to be.

- The animation, and presentation, in some scenes is terrible. In other scenes it's fine. Someone at Bioware needs to speak on this.

- The inventory/UI is average. Not terrible.

Aww, no Suvi romance for Scott. Shame, she was the only character I was interested in. On the plus side, Sara will have a good selection of choices on my next play through.

Aww, no Suvi romance for Scott. Shame, she was the only character I was interested in. On the plus side, Sara will have a good selection of choices on my next play through.
My Sara is not touching Suvi with a ten foot pole. 600 Lightyears away from Milky way and they still want to build churches, temples whatever religion she's actually following.

This is what I want to work towards, haha. With how many skill trees you can spec into it's hard to answer if someone asks "What is your build?"

Did you spec at all into Combat or are you all in Biotic right now?

Im 70 points or so into each. Have to for vanguard leveling.

Maxed out shotgun, fitness, and combat tools. Other stuff has been just for a second profile I will likely never use. At this point I have everything I want and am just dumping points to level my profile.

Yopis

I agree with the tone being off. I don't mind BioWare giving it a crack, but I honestly don't think the actual premise justifies it. It's unnecessary to be as light hearted and relaxed as it is, when a one way journey into the absolute unknown is on the brink of catastrophic failure on all fronts. It's a game of hope, sure, but sometimes it leans a bit too heavily in the casual adventuring for my taste. Everything about the premise is the exact opposite of casual adventure, and I feel when demonstrated that clash of tones ranges from unrealistic to obnoxious. You don't travel 2.5 light years distance over 600 Earth years of time, abanonding literally everything you know and love on a one way voyage into the absolute unknown, your ship struck by disaster which almost kills your sibling, land on a planet that's supposed to be your homeworld only to find it utterly fucked, almost die trying to land on it in a ship that explodes full of crew, near miss a lighting strike only to sassily quip "lol welcome to habitat 7 :D :D :D :D". It's just off.

I think they misjudged intention and direction there, but thankfully it's not enough to severely hamper the game for me, and I recognise some people might really like that playfulness contrast with seriousness.

1mql3e.png

2i3yss.png

3klyng.png

Agree with this. The shitty comedian routine from every character gets old.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Side quests in this game are so boring. Is it possible to do these after I have completed the main story? If I`m really bored some day.

BizzyBum

Side quests in this game are so boring. Is it possible to do these after I have completed the main story? If I`m really bored some day.

I'm not sure, but I agree with side quests in this game so far are horrendous. They belong in some Korean MMO. Just so fucking bad. The Witcher 3 has ruined me in regards to this.

Agree with this. The shitty comedian routine from every character gets old.

again, amateur josh whedon. not that even he gets it right every time :) ...

in many ways, this really does feel like a young adults version of mass effect: where nothing's so awful that anyone even remembers it a few minutes later :) ...

BizzyBum

again, amateur josh whedon. not that even he gets it right every time :) ...

in many ways, this really does feel like a young adults version of mass effect. where nothing's so awful that anyone even remembers it a few minutes later :) ...

Just another thing in a long list that millennials ruined.
/s

MikeDown

Banned
I'm not sure, but I agree with side quests in this game so far are horrendous. They belong in some Korean MMO. Just so fucking bad. The Witcher 3 has ruined me in regards to this.
This so much, only feeling I get from this game is a desire to go back and play the Witcher 3. That and Gravity Rush 2 really know how to do sidequests IMO.

owlbeak

Completed the first main quest on Eos last night and am really enjoying the game after the uninspiring and boring first couple of hours. Turning helmets to always on has reduced the number of times I cringe at terrible face animations, so that helps. There are still all sorts of glitches, enemies spawning into objects/falling from the sky, and the combat feels strange to me, like aiming is laggy. But overall, I'm enjoying my time with it and getting a lot of ME1 vibes, which was my favorite of the trilogy. Doesn't hurt that the game looks great - but I hope they iron out performance issues on PS4 Pro. Had I known it ran so inconsistently, I would have just bought it on PC.

Edit: I also agree about the tone of the writing. It's really jarring how light-hearted everything is treated when the stakes are literally life or death of thousands of people.

sangreal

Yeah, I find it really jarring sometimes. It reminds me of the ME3 Citadel DLC

Some if it really makes no sense like Tauriens having nostalgia for eating popcorn while watching flicks. I've basically stopped reading terminals and datapads as they're all bad comedy routines

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I might be stuck on this icy snowstorm hell hole, but at least I look good and have my N7 threads.

masseffectandromeda20vaa7u.jpg

Is there an easy way to tell how close I am to unlocking all the common stuff in mp? I read online that you need to keep opening bronze packs until you max out all of your commons, but I have no idea how to tell.

JayB1920

I see a lot of complaining about sidequests but I am enjoying them. The ones under Allies and relationships and Helius Assignments aren't bad for the most part and have some narrative and character interaction and decision making. Not witcher 3 level sure but not DAI or MMO either. Additional Tasks are but they aren't trying to be anything more than they are.

Gamezone

Gold Member

Yeah, I read an article about how the developers comparing Andromeda's side quests to The Witcher 3.

JayB1920

Yeah, I read an article about how the developers comparing Andromeda's side quests to The Witcher 3.

What sidequests have you done? Even Witcher 3 had lots of menial tasks to do and they are labeled appropriately here in the journal. Several
Under The Allies and relationships and Helius Assignments are the more narrative focused . They aren't wotcher 3 level but they are hardly MMO quests.

The Dude

I so want to dive into my copy but fucking zelda man... I hate playing like 40 games at once lol some of those world shots in this game lookin sweet

Gamezone

Gold Member
What sidequest have you done? Even Witcher 3 had lots of menial tasks to do and they are labeled appropriately here in the journal.

Not many. I'm still early in the game. Did a few on the second planet you land on. The sand planet, and these are painfully boring, and some of them are way too long. The performance on Xbox One is also horrendous. The game looks broken when I compare it to the 60 FPS PC gameplay on Youtube.

Top Bottom