• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect |OT| Alien love in an elevator

MaizeRage25 said:
Wow, even playing on Hardcore, going back through the game after you've reached level 50+ is like a hot knife through hot butter.
Sadly though you can't use a new char and keep your level... so I'm doing hardcore with a newbie soldier. =(

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
Some of the late game weapon upgrades just make you unstoppable. I want to make a new character (because the infiltrator class just leaves you feeling somewhat let down) but at the same time I'll always miss my super-accurate, recoil-free sniper rifle with exploding rounds. Without that, I don't know how I'll manage to take down a Collosus...

btw, is it possible to kill a thresher maw on foot?

Feint331

DY_nasty said:
Some of the late game weapon upgrades just make you unstoppable. I want to make a new character (because the infiltrator class just leaves you feeling somewhat let down) but at the same time I'll always miss my super-accurate, recoil-free sniper rifle with exploding rounds. Without that, I don't know how I'll manage to take down a Collosus...

btw, is it possible to kill a thresher maw on foot?

you've obviously not played a adept with the AR. lift one, stasis the other. permanent barrier, overkill(2 rail mods + inferno/tungsten for your rifle)+ 2 medical x exoskeletons. shit you don't need to fight anymore just walk into a room and go biotic on everyones arse. you can wear down a colossus before lift even finishes, than move onto the other one.

AniHawk

Well I finished it a second time as a female Renegade Alyx Shepard. I got completionist as male Paragon John Shepard in about 20-22 hours. Played through pretty much just the story as Alyx in about 9 hours. Did some sidequests that I missed the first go around: namely those on Noveria. I think I'm just about ready for a platformer now. ...If I can catch a break.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
just started playing it, and MY GOD how i would love to play a version of this game that doesn't have textures popping in and out in every single shot and make my xbox sound like a wood chipper. does everyone else's 360 get unbearably loud when they play?

but i really do love it so far. just got my ship, woo.

KarishBHR

Just played for about 4 hours today, just stared.

Thoughts/Questions:

-Why is the music so low, never thought Id complain about this is in a game
-The first mission you travel to (the archaeological dig), you do a lot of driving/combat while driving... is this super common? (wasn't a big fan)
-Can someone please explain to me the whole squad thing... I dont get it, how do I know who to pick to come with me... does it really matter?

Game is good but I have been wowed by the story, but the first mission (dig site) really bothered me, I hope to advance soon cause im really frustrated with the lack of weapons available to me right now (just pistol and shotgun)

AniHawk

KarishBHR said:

Thoughts/Questions:

-Why is the music so low, never thought Id complain about this is in a game
-The first mission you travel to (the archaeological dig), you do a lot of driving/combat while driving... is this super common? (wasn't a big fan)
-Can someone please explain to me the whole squad thing... I dont get it, how do I know who to pick to come with me... does it really matter?

Game is good but I have been wowed by the story, but the first mission (dig site) really bothered me, I hope to advance soon cause im really frustrated with the lack of weapons available to me right now (just pistol and shotgun)

The dig site one has the most parts where you're inside the Mako (from the story planets). You're in the Mako for every single one of the planets, but you're inside one the most while looking for the Doctor.

The weapon skills you have available at start are all you will get. Sounds like you've got a Vangaurd, which are probably the strongest class in the game.

Finished my second playthrough. MY GOD DOES MALE SHEP'S VOICE SUCK. It's not even a comparison, the female voice utterly destroys it.

AniHawk

Son of Godzilla said:
The weapon skills you have available at start are all you will get. Sounds like you've got a Vangaurd, which are probably the strongest class in the game.

Finished my second playthrough. MY GOD DOES MALE SHEP'S VOICE SUCK. It's not even a comparison, the female voice utterly destroys it.

I did it the other way around, and I'm glad I did. Hearing Jennifer Hale for the entire game made it a much easier replay.

Also, I'm pretty sure the Salarian commander guy on Virmire was Tom Kenny. If it was, I didn't hear it until my second playthrough. Not used to hearing him in a serious role

AniHawk said:
Also, I'm pretty sure the Salarian commander guy on Virmire was Tom Kenny. If it was, I didn't hear it until my second playthrough. Not used to hearing him in a serious role

I can't fathom how anyone could catch that, if true. Aren't all the Salarians voiced by same guy anyway? Or at least the dude on the council and the commander?

Edit: You know, given how hyped the dialogue system is for this game it's easy enough not to be blown away. And then you watch a scene from The Witcher and you realize that yes, this really is revolutionary.

AniHawk

Son of Godzilla said:
I can't fathom how anyone could catch that, if true. Aren't all the Salarians voiced by same guy anyway? Or at least the dude on the council and the commander?

Probably. Now that I think of it, it's Bender's Big Score where I saw Tom Kenny's name. I got confused when I replayed it and heard Kirahee speak.

The great thing about this game is that I didn't hype it outside of the normal "OMG BIOWARE RPG" hype I've had ever since I finished KOTOR (even though KOTOR II wasn't Bioware and Jade Empire was meh). So pretty much all of it was a pleasant surprise. I found myself going back to previous saves to try out all the branches of dialog. The action parts are perfectly fine, but the game shines in its dialog system.

Okay holy shit I love this game.

Doing the last dungeon on my first playthrough right now. Just taking a break to make a drink.

Oh and Adept + Garrus squad member + sniper w/ high explosive rounds is amazing. Fucking awesome. Nothing has touched me for the last couple of hours.

Walshicus

Son of Godzilla said:

Dude is in fact a lady.

ShutEye

So I finally received my copy of the Asian version from P-A. The music is godly. Its superb. Better than that though is how its edited into the game. It always seems like the right track comes alive at the right time, whether you are in the middle of a firefight or an important conversation. Its probably the only game I've played where it really occurred to me what an important design choice timeliness is.

Solo

So I finally beat Mass Effect last night, woot! Game of the Year, without a single doubt in my mind.

I picked up playing after Anderson had helped the Normandy get free. So, first thing I did was give Ashley a good renegade lay, under the veil of "ZOMG we might not see tomorrow, better let me hit it tonight, lolz". She seemed pleased.

Then it was off to Ilos. Not as impressive or as fun as the previous planets. However, the retun to the Citadel was incredibly cool. The graphical effects for fire in this game are insane. The battle in the massive hangar was epic.
I chose to sacrifice the Council
. I was a bit disappointed with the Saren fight, so I
was very happy when he rose up again as Sovereign for another round
. Awesome ending cinematics and music, and I really loved the set up for Mass Effect 2, which, based on my ending, would be
humans taking control of the Council and going to war with the Reapers
. Aw hell yeah, shit just got real! Shepard = badass of the entire galaxy. And the end credits song is made of pure win.

Easily the best gaming experience I've had in a few years. Kudos, Bioware. Bring on Mass Effect 2!

angelfly

They use human weapons.

Fady K said:
A little late to the thread here, just wondering - whats the general GAF consensus on the plot? Also, how long is this game on average? Thanks.

First playthrough took me 32 hours with all sidequest.

Fady K

A little late to the thread here, just wondering - whats the general GAF consensus on the plot? Also, how long is this game on average? Thanks.

Walshicus

angelfly said:
They use human weapons.
They use Human armour, but I'm fairly certain there are a number of weapon brands which are Asari developed.

Just something to mention though; has anyone started a second playthrough with a character and tried giving Jenkins different armour? He doesn't have a species restriction, so I was able to give him Quarian, Krogan and Turian armours. Alas, his character's image doesn't change with them...

One playthrough can take 15 hours on a low difficulty with none of the sidequests, or over 40 hours with a lot of planetary exploration. Personally I have two playthroughs with a sum of around 70 hours, and it's at that point I've put the game back on the rack until we get DLC or I have the urge to get my Biotic achievements. Either way this is a rare keeper among RPGs for me.

Uncle

Sir Fragula said:
Just something to mention though; has anyone started a second playthrough with a character and tried giving Jenkins different armour? He doesn't have a species restriction, so I was able to give him Quarian, Krogan and Turian armours. Alas, his character's image doesn't change with them...

Yeah, I also level him up. Just because I can.

Solo

Fady K said:

16:02 for me, but it felt so much longer, and was worth every penny. Also, I will replay it several more times, something I generally never do with RPGs.

Stocka

Seriously considering getting this for Christmas. It was between Assasin's Creed, Eternal sonata and Orange Box but this seems the most epic and revolutionary. I'm not THAT into the scifi/wRPG scene but like epic films/games, so do you reckon it's worth it for me?

Oh and does it require a ridiculous amount of time? I don't want to mess up my A Levels because of this, I want to be able to dip in now and then.

Solo

Stocka said:
Seriously considering getting this for Christmas. It was between Assasin's Creed, Eternal sonata and Orange Box but this seems the most epic and revolutionary. I'm not THAT into the scifi/wRPG scene but like epic films/games, so do you reckon it's worth it for me?

Oh and does it require a ridiculous amount of time? I don't want to mess up my A Levels because of this, I want to be able to dip in now and then.

I own Orange Box and AC, and Id take ME in a heartbeat over either. It only took 16 for me me, so its not a huge time investment, either.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Ashley and Liara are a great combo team, Liara does her biotics and Ashley pounds her enemies with bullets. One time i saw Liara use lift and Ashley shooting the guy in the air, pure DMC combo

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
neojubei said:
Ashley and Liara are a great combo team, Liara does her biotics and Ashley pounds her enemies with bullets. One time i saw Liara use lift and Ashley shooting the guy in the air, pure DMC combo

Ashley + Liara = Wrex

Quazar

So will we get to continue the story in the second game?(With ME1 characters/actions) It seemed like even the sidequests will lead to stuff in a sequel. That's the plan right?

And any idea when we'll see DLC? I remember them saying we'll get DLC to keep the story moving while waiting for the second game in trilogy.

mcgarrett

For people who have played through multiple times, what do you think of the paragon/renegade system? Does it serve mainly to open up new content, to restrict you from certain content (ie, I'm too good/bad to do that) or neither?

*VERY MINOR SIDE MISSION SPOILER*

An encounter I just had at the Citadel has me wondering.

A woman asked me to take out two crime lords so she could take over their territory. I have subtitles on, so I was skipping through her dialog and inadvertently accepted the mission. (does anyone else find this annoying BTW?) She gave me the coordinates and I earned some renegade points. So I reloaded, and the second time I declined. I got some paragon points, but she still gave me the coordinates.

So what about it? Has your playthough as a renegade been significantly different that your experience as a paragon, is it more about dialog choices and attitude than accessing different content?

urk

butthole fishhooking yes
mcgarrett said:
So what about it? Has your playthough as a renegade been significantly different that your experience as a paragon, is it more about dialog choices and attitude than accessing different content?

Certain missions give you the opportunity to resolve the situation whichever way you choose. You might be able to negotiate with someone or just straight up execute them.

Other missions might be strictly renegade or paragon work. Someone might ask you to smuggle or hack something that is obviously outside the bounds of the law.

The missions you select and the resolutions you enact will make for some minor variances in dialog and character interaction.

Also, the Mako is a tin can and it sucks.

mcgarrett

Stocka said:
If you choose a soldier and set your party to use their powers independently, the combat plays very much like a fast-paced shooter. And yes it is a lot like playing through a big-budget movie. Just know that the shooting segments will be broken up by lots of talking and character customization.
That depends on how you approach it. If you stick to the main plot points it sounds like you can get through the game in under 20 hours (and the game makes it very obvious what those are). But if you take your time exploring planets and taking on side missions, it sounds like it can easily take 30 hours or more.

Quagm1r3

BrokenSymmetry said:
The explanation I've heard for this is that in the cutscenes Shepard sometimes uses a specific weapon that is fixed for that cutscene. It would look strange if Shepard would use a weapon he doesn't have.

But I agree, it looks a bit silly that Shepard runs around with weapons he/she can not even use.

True, I understand that. But why were the cutscenes made like this then? This seems like an early design flaw. Sure, I understand that you supposedly could take off all your weapons and then there'd be nothing left, but perhaps a sacrifice could be made? Perhaps leave the pistol and allow everything else to be taken off, since the pistol is the best all around weapon and doesn't appear weird to have it, even if you don't use it a lot.

mcgarrett

KarishBHR said:

Thoughts/Questions:

Yes, a fair amount of driving and some combat driving. But on the bright side, if you hit start and go into the Map it shows you all the important areas on the planet's surface and allows you to set navigation markers. (took me a long time to find this)

Yes and no. It's more about your play style and personal preference than anything else, but there are times when certain characters make more sense. If you know you'll be facing a lot of geth, for example, it wouldn't hurt to have someone with Tech skills. But then again, you can get along just fine without them too. You can also consider things like who has the most powerful weapons/skills and best armor at any given time.

Quagm1r3

mcgarrett said:
For people who have played through multiple times, what do you think of the paragon/renegade system? Does it serve mainly to open up new content, to restrict you from certain content (ie, I'm too good/bad to do that) or neither?

I find that it only has a true effect on the story planets, and while you will get paragon/renegade points from sidequests, it doesn't really make you feel like you're effecting anything.

When I got the comm message from the shadow broker representative to send him alliance files, I agreed, but no apparent consequence came of it. Something that big should have an impact on something

Also, the only thing that may restrict content is being a straight paragon. While your experience showed that you could still do the mission without getting renegade points, overall being a paragon will restrict you from certain side quests.

JayDubya

Banned
Kadey said:
Is it me or is money hard to come by? Nearly everything is like 20x my budget.

At first, money is hard to come by. This is why surveying and mining is important. When you're all full, check the Normandy vendor, sell the trash, check for upgrades, and keep going.

Every few times you should go to the Citadel instead.

Once you reach the early midgame and have a million credits, you can buy all the Spectre VII gear, and then you'll be poor again.

Once you reach the lategame and near the level cap you're going to want a good amount of credits for the Spectre X gear and Predator / Colossus armor, but you shouldn't be hurting for credits at that point.

Hesemonni

Banned
Dear Bioware Corp,

Please shove the ally achievements up your collective asses. Also if it weren't too much of a hassle could you read the book 'Inventory management for dummies'. And while you're at it hire a decent tech guy next time around.

:Hesemonni

PS. Star Control 2 and it's mineral hunting is still the king.

IoCaster

Finished with an Infiltrator Shep Paragon. Just an excellent game with a great story. I'll make a second run with a new character and go pure Renegade just for kicks. Waiting for ME2 is going to be painful.

Kittonwy

Banned
Hesemonni said:
Dear Bioware Corp,

Please shove the ally achievements up your collective asses. Also if it weren't too much of a hassle could you read the book 'Inventory management for dummies'. And while you're at it hire a decent tech guy next time around.

:Hesemonni

PS. Star Control 2 and it's mineral hunting is still the king.

I've been wondering, what do I get by getting these achievements? Is there bonus content I can unlock?

Hesemonni

Banned
Kittonwy said:
I've been wondering, what do I get by getting these achievements? Is there bonus content I can unlock?
There are certain bonuses you get. For example Soldier ally (Ashley) unlocks damage reduction +10% bonus. So in theory getting ally achievements before hitting the hardest difficulties makes it a bit easier. I Doubt the real life difference is noticeable though.

Other ally achievements give skill reload time reductions, so I guess Soldier is the one achievement to get during the first run.

E: I just glitched myself in to the "pit" under the Galaxy map on the Normandy and can't get out. Time to hit the bed I guess.

EE: My hero Kittonwy replied to my post! *faints*

Ventrue

Hesemonni said:
E: I just glitched myself in to the "pit" under the Galaxy map on the Normandy and can't get out. Time to hit the bed I guess.

This happens a lot to me, try talking to Pressly, it'll teleport you out.

Tieno

So I was battling that Asari
Matriarch Beneza(?)
on Noveria and she put me into stasis or something and I got caught in this weird physics glitch (neck was all stretch under a box, like what happens in Halo 3 sometimes) and I couldn't stand up anymore, nor do LB/RB wheel commands. Couldn't restart either (only reset console). The fight continued so instead of rebooting I just tried to beat the waves of minions by sending out my other two guys and they did it while I was watching from the ground. Then it went into a cutscene and all was back to normal and I killed
that boss

The combat is better than I thought reading from impressions. When those Geth Destroyers come running at you it's always satisfying to "'lift" them just before they got to you. Then watch them fly through the air while your team kills them off.

Top Bottom